Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Today, I shocked a dog out of atrial fibrillation, and then closed her PDA.

Cardiology is awesome. My residency is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Hot drat.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
So I just accepted my first real job starting next July. Being a resident has been cool but I'm kind of done with it, I'm ready to have a real life now please.

Parrotstalking
Oct 6, 2012
Hooray, I failed the NAVLE and am now mildly horrified and shell-shocked at this exciting turn of events! Missed by 8 points, bovine crushed me pretty hard. I'm re-gathering pdf compilations from vetprep and zuku, and would enjoy hearing any relevant advice. Considering my first method was to just slam zuku questions for three months straight, i may try a more classic study approach, topped with occasional practice tests instead.

I've never been incredibly strong academically, but what a kick in the face. Also, hello again.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I've recently made the decision to change jobs, quite drastically. I'm 27 and have been working in a QA lab as a Microbiologist for the last 5 years. I hold a university degree in Music and Sound Technology (weird, right?).

I've always wanted to work with animals, always, and although I know that I'll take a significant pay cut to start at the bottom of a new industry I'm more than willing to do it. I'm going to try and get a day a week volunteering at a practise to a) determine if this is absolutely something I want to jack in my current job for and b) get my foot in the door and get a bit of experience.

Does this sound feasable? Am I likely to be taken on as a veterinary nurse/assistant somewhere with no veterinary qualifications/experience? My current role has a few transferrable skills (working in a clean room environment, following SOP's, being aware of regulations, autoclaving, etc) and I have a passion for animals and their care and am comfortable handling any animal.

I hope this isn't too vague, or pie in the sky for that matter, but any pointers/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the UK for what it's worth.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
On the chance that nobody with specific UK knowledge answers, I'll chime in with this - In the US, as an assistant, absolutely. As a tech (nurse in the uk?), it's tougher to find no experience necessary jobs, and they're very low paying comparatively, but they're out there. If techs/nurses are licensed in any capacity in the UK, you might help yourself out by enrolling in a program - Being in one got me job interviews I didn't otherwise meet the requirements for when I got into the industry 2 years ago.

But yeah, volunteer, and see if it's for you. Be aware that it's considered a high burnout field, and the pay isn't great. But for what it's worth, I took a big pay hit to do it, and 2 years in, I still look forward to work every day.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

AOTKPTW posted:

I've always wanted to work with animals

So I suppose you need to find out what the answer to that desire is, as there are so many ways to work with and help animals. Working with NGOs/charities/activist groups in any capacity (lawyer, advertising, fund raising, coding, public relations) can help a lot of animals but will not necessarily put you into direct contact with them. On the flip side, as a veterinarian or veterinary nurse you will be helping a small amount of animals directly, but will likely do little for "animals" as a whole. If the veterinary path is the one you want to take, then I would contact the veterinary schools in the UK and talk with one of their admission team. They often have non-traditional students applying, so they can guide you on what you will need to be competitive. You can do the same with other programs (zoology, ethology, etc), and start checking things of the lists. Most places in the UK are pretty amenable to people coming in and seeing what the job is like, although they might be a bit hesitant with someone of your age. Perhaps getting a part time or zero hour reception/assistant job to get a taste for what it is like could be helpful.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Parrotstalking posted:

Hooray, I failed the NAVLE and am now mildly horrified and shell-shocked at this exciting turn of events! Missed by 8 points, bovine crushed me pretty hard. I'm re-gathering pdf compilations from vetprep and zuku, and would enjoy hearing any relevant advice. Considering my first method was to just slam zuku questions for three months straight, i may try a more classic study approach, topped with occasional practice tests instead.

I've never been incredibly strong academically, but what a kick in the face. Also, hello again.

That stinks Parrot, sorry. Do you feel like in your studying you have focused on your interests (smallies, equine, path, etc) rather than broadening your knowledge? Perhaps you can start by studying a basic but broad amount of info on the farm side to bolster your score there. Things like beef vs dairy issues, husbandry, repro cycle, parasites, infectious disease are usually the big ones.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Slugworth posted:

On the chance that nobody with specific UK knowledge answers, I'll chime in with this - In the US, as an assistant, absolutely. As a tech (nurse in the uk?), it's tougher to find no experience necessary jobs, and they're very low paying comparatively, but they're out there. If techs/nurses are licensed in any capacity in the UK, you might help yourself out by enrolling in a program - Being in one got me job interviews I didn't otherwise meet the requirements for when I got into the industry 2 years ago.

But yeah, volunteer, and see if it's for you. Be aware that it's considered a high burnout field, and the pay isn't great. But for what it's worth, I took a big pay hit to do it, and 2 years in, I still look forward to work every day.

Thanks for the info. I'm happy to start out as the UK equivalent of an assistant to get my foot in the door and begin learning on the job and gain work experience. I see many job postings for RVN's (registered veterinary nurse) and others that just seek a veterinary nurse, some ask for relevant diplomas, some don't. Ultimately I think I need to ring around a few places and ask for some honest advice on the local situation with seeking work in the field. My preference is to learn on the job though, I've always faired better this way in terms of drive and my ability to retain what I'm learning. I'm fairly aware of the pay situation, as it stands I'd be earning less than half what I do now and I've done the maths, it's a pay cut I can both afford and am willing to take.

May I ask for a rough timeline of your 2 years working in the field, how's it been? Any frustrations with getting that first job? ANything you really wish someone had told you before making the switch?

YourCreation posted:

So I suppose you need to find out what the answer to that desire is, as there are so many ways to work with and help animals. Working with NGOs/charities/activist groups in any capacity (lawyer, advertising, fund raising, coding, public relations) can help a lot of animals but will not necessarily put you into direct contact with them. On the flip side, as a veterinarian or veterinary nurse you will be helping a small amount of animals directly, but will likely do little for "animals" as a whole. If the veterinary path is the one you want to take, then I would contact the veterinary schools in the UK and talk with one of their admission team. They often have non-traditional students applying, so they can guide you on what you will need to be competitive. You can do the same with other programs (zoology, ethology, etc), and start checking things of the lists. Most places in the UK are pretty amenable to people coming in and seeing what the job is like, although they might be a bit hesitant with someone of your age. Perhaps getting a part time or zero hour reception/assistant job to get a taste for what it is like could be helpful.

I've thought hard about this for years... it's the direct contact of helping individual animals that I would like. My current job inadvertantly improves the lives of many, but I don't see the results first hand as I'm so far removed from the patient and I've found it quite disullusioning.

Thanks for the schooling info though, that's definitely an avenue I will consider if/when I want to further my reach in the industry. As I said above, on the job training/learning is where I can excell so I'm just hoping that it's feasable to get a full-time contract as a trainee (not apprentice) and learn the ropes from there. Obviously if any schooling after that is required it is something I would like to do.

Thank you both :)

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Parrotstalking posted:

I'm sorry. More than a couple of competent and knowledgeable veterinarians who graduated with me failed the first time as well. What strategies work is different for everyone. For me, I had both zuku and vetprep (I won the vetprep subscription in a raffle first year and our class paid for zuku subscriptions for everyone), but I probably finished a grand total of 20% of each of them on my own, all told. I did have a few study sessions with people who focused on different areas of vet med to get clarification on what was important in their area on the practice questions. I also bought 2 of the self-assessment tests available at their website, 1 towards the beginning of my studying and 1 a week or two before the exam, and to be honest I feel that those helped me the most.

Hopefully you can find what works for you and pass that poo poo in April. Good luck!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

AOTKPTW posted:

May I ask for a rough timeline of your 2 years working in the field, how's it been? Any frustrations with getting that first job? ANything you really wish someone had told you before making the switch?
I went into my first job with a year's worth of education, but absolutely no hands on experience. So it was helpful in that nobody was really talking above my head, but I was fairly useless at first. No one particular task is difficult to learn, but there is a lot of stuff that takes time to really master. So you'll get competent quickly, but you might not be good for awhile. You'll probably be better at some aspects of clin path than anyone in the clinic though, so that's nice.

As far as things to know beforehand - Burnout, like I said before. Euthanasia takes its toll on some people, as do the unpredictable hours. You don't leave at a set time, you leave when the last patient is out and everything is shut down and cleaned. I'll also add, you haven't said anything to this effect, but it's a common enough sentiment - It doesn't matter if you like animals more than people, the job absolutely requires you to be a people person. Or at least good at pretending to be one. A lot of stuff ultimately falls on the shoulders of the doctors, but you're a big part of gently educating people on how to properly care for their animals, comforting them during euth, and calming them down during emergencies.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Slugworth posted:

I went into my first job with a year's worth of education, but absolutely no hands on experience. So it was helpful in that nobody was really talking above my head, but I was fairly useless at first. No one particular task is difficult to learn, but there is a lot of stuff that takes time to really master. So you'll get competent quickly, but you might not be good for awhile. You'll probably be better at some aspects of clin path than anyone in the clinic though, so that's nice.

As far as things to know beforehand - Burnout, like I said before. Euthanasia takes its toll on some people, as do the unpredictable hours. You don't leave at a set time, you leave when the last patient is out and everything is shut down and cleaned. I'll also add, you haven't said anything to this effect, but it's a common enough sentiment - It doesn't matter if you like animals more than people, the job absolutely requires you to be a people person. Or at least good at pretending to be one. A lot of stuff ultimately falls on the shoulders of the doctors, but you're a big part of gently educating people on how to properly care for their animals, comforting them during euth, and calming them down during emergencies.

Thanks for the info. I can be a people person for sure, I'm definitely keen on the educating/comforting side of things too. I don't doubt certain things will be tough on myself mentally but it's something I currently feel I'll be able to ride with... time will tell, of course.

Having researched a bit more on entry requirements I'm starting to think that perhaps I should start out as an animal care worker and move into vet nursing from there, it seems a lot more accessible and I can get qualified online with a relevant job in animal care. At least then I can get some basic animal handling/care experience. Does this sound like a reasonable route to take?

I will of course get more focused employment advice but have not yet had time to do so what with work and everything so everyone's input here is greatly appreciated.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

AOTKPTW posted:

Having researched a bit more on entry requirements I'm starting to think that perhaps I should start out as an animal care worker and move into vet nursing from there

Yes, but do your veterinary nursing through a reputable brick and mortar facility.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Anybody have any good resources to help with memorizing surgical tools? Just started my tech surgical nursing course and I have well over 100 to memorize in two weeks. Just looking for something more fun/helpful than the flashcards I've made.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but my tabby of 3 years passed away suddenly last night while under the vet's care.

I brought her in when I spotted an abscess on her flank, and the vet recommended surgery to fix it. It was completed successfully, but not 10 minutes before I was supposed to pick her up, she suddenly had a seizure and passed away.

The vet said her bloodwork was clean and she was recovering from the surgery just fine when it happened. They want to do a procedure to find out what happened, and said they'd pay for half of it, but I don't know. I miss my cat.

What should I do?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I am sorry about your loss Magic - it's really tragic when an animal comes in for a fairly routine procedure and something bad happens.
The most common causes of death in anesthesia are heart and/or respiratory related. Some cats have a spasm of their airway and stop breathing. A seizure is possible I suppose, but perhaps they are mistaking it for opisthotonus and some fatal neurological event. Your poor kitty may have had an underlying heart disease that predisposes them to sudden death, so a post-mortem may help identify that.

There are two types of PM - a gross exam where we just look at anatomy, and a more thorough one where we send tissue samples to a lab for analysis. I am a big supporter of post-mortems because it gives us lots of information, but you need to make sure you are comfortable. If a PM is performed and nothing is found, will you feel happy with that decision?

Again, I am sorry, and if you have any follow up questions then do let us know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Starting a rotating internship at the old alma mater this year, then applying for an ECC residency at the end of it.

• Locked thread