Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
Just got accepted into OVC at Guelph and VMRCVM (Virginia Tech) on my first try. Both of these programs put more emphasis on later grades, which defiantly helped me. Since I'm from the US OVC had a different interview style since I'm a foreigner, which was a more conventional open application interview. VMRCVM did a MMI (Mixed Multiple Interview or something like that), which I think Guelph does for Canadian applicants. It was a weird format, can't given any specifics because I signed a confidentiality agreement. Right now I'm leaning towards VMRCVM, but any feed back on either of these schools would be much appreciated (I've seen quite a few Guelph students in this thread).
Edit: I'm interested in small animal medicine.

Explosion Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
I won't get in-state tuition at VMRCVM, but it costs about $45,000. I really liked what I saw at OVC, everyone was friendly and reassuring me before my interview. I was impressed with the small animal side of things, and after going through a tour with a 1st year from the States I felt I got a pretty good feel for the place and what it would be like to be an international student there. Really thought it was cool OVC has an intramural hockey team; I just started playing hockey last winter with my friends, and although I'm absolutely terrible at it would be cool to play hockey with my classmates in vet school.

Right now I'm working out where I want to go this fall and cost is defiantly a consideration. I liked VMRCVM but I felt OVC did a better job at showing me around campus and giving me a feel for what the culture of the school was like (part of this was because the tour was one on one, versus being in a large group at VT). I figure I have until the mid April deadline to weigh my options.

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
Congratulations! It was a pretty good feeling getting an acceptance letter. Make sure to doing something fun before classes start!

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
Blacksburg is nice, you know when you actually have time to do something fun. Congrats on the residency! Since I'm a 2nd year now we will probably unknowingly cross each other paths when I'm on my anesthesiology clerkship.

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008

Solis posted:

So who all here is doing the whole internship/residency schtick? It seems to be getting more common of late.

Right now I'm hoping to specialize in medical Oncology, whether I get accepted into an internship then a residency in another thing. Out of my class a lot of people want to at least do an internship (Equine people kind of have to). But I'd say only a handful said they want to try and specialize for sure.

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
Solis, I'm pretty sure you evaluated me Thursday as the anesthetist for surgery lab. I was the guy in with the ridiculous green beard cover who was pouring sweat during induction. That said everything went smoothly that day and the dog looked great the next; now I get to be surgeon Oct. 9th! No pressure!

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
So I might wind up practicing in California (feel free to try and talk me out of this) and was wondering if there are any VetPrep or Zuku style stuff for preparing for the CSB? I've heard from a few people that studying for the NAVLE and the packet you get when you sign up for the CSB is enough, thoughts?

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources for finding a job as a small animal practitioner? Currently I am using AVMA's Job Search, and have checked VIN's classified section a few times in addition to the usual one on one networking and getting job listings emailed to me from my school. I've been talking to a headhunter from VetNetAmerica; not sure if anyone here is familiar with that agency? Any other programs or tools for job placement I'm missing?

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
From my perspective there seems to be plenty of jobs, even well paying jobs, in the US, given you are somewhat flexible and willing to relocate for work. Last years class at VMCVM all found jobs be they internships, private practice (large and small), government, ect. in fairly short order. What I do worry about is that the real glut is a few years away when even the government/corporate/regulatory side of things cannot absorb new grads.

Also thanks for the CVMA link, this brings up another nagging question. Is there any kind of temporary license in CA for GPs? I've seen the Glorious Republic of California is so generous and offers reciprocity...after practicing three years in another state. Even though I can take the CA boards in plenty of other states on the East Coast, apparently I need to get finger printed in California proper, which is doable but annoying. Do they allow vets to temporarily practice under another vets license for a time period at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosion Sauce
Dec 18, 2008
Got my 2nd choice (1st was a very long shot), moving to NYC this June as a small animal rotating intern!

• Locked thread