Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You forgot step 3.5:

Get emotionally invested in a case and cry with the owner when it gets euthanized. Then go home and drink. A lot.

Just lost a ventilator case today. Was looking okay (on the slow upswing) until it acutely decompensated - maybe a PTE, but most likely ARDS.

Gallows humor time:
I ran to find the clinician (the hospital cell phones blow and I had a vague idea where he was). I walk in, he looks at me, I say...
:v::'Hey Doc, it's bad when you go to check in on your patient and all the ICU docs are pushing buttons like mad, right?
Doc: :what:
Queue us rushing back to ICU.

Edit: Somebody post some stupid vet school quotes so I can laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Chaco posted:

15 weeks left, not that I've been counting (since 4th year started) or anything. Currently on path--necropsied a goat today, with a uterine tumor that involved the bladder, ureters (causing obstruction/hydronephrosis) and colon, with mets to the lung, liver, spleen, omentum, mesentery, diaphragm, and body wall. I actually like path during the day, as I learn a lot and generally am very hard to gross out, but sometimes I get these bloody dreams while I'm on path so my subconscious may feel differently.

I tend to like Path too... except colic horse necropsies. :gonk:

I can't get that rotting onion smell out of my nose for days.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hooray, funny stories!

(Camel erythrocytes are oval, reptile and bird are nucleated - but they still look freaking weird!)

Professors have funny quotes too:

Derm faculty: You have to broach the subject of fleas very carefully with clients. When you say their pet has fleas, what they're hearing is that they are icky, disgusting people who have venereal diseases.

Rad faculty: Ultrasounding the thorax is like kissing your sister. You only get something out of it when there's something really wrong going on.

Here's a gem from Ultrasound discussion:
Student: There's a cystic mass with a central area of soft tissue. I'd recommend aspirating the fluid and the tissue if possible.
Poor jaded Doc: Remember the signalment. This dog is here for a preg check. *pregnant pause* That's a puppy.

Edit: Baika, at my school, when it was time to learn surgical knots, they gave us materials and then let us take several months before taking the exam showing that we could do the knots. There were several places to not only learn the knots, but steal (borrow for learning!) materials to practice at home.
Also be sure to consider long term debt when entering vet school. Many of my classmates are graduating with vast sums of debt, and some with crushing amounts. Vets also don't make major bank unless you specialize (only in certain specialties as well), which takes further economic hardship. Not to scare you off of vet school or anything, just be sure to consider the money aspect as well.
Or just marry rich.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 3, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wtftastic posted:

http://caspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/photos//lostfound/28284.jpg

I'm just curious; what do you guys think could cause this scaring and pock marking on this dog? Mange or allergies? No details are given on the SPCA's page.

I totally want to do skin scrapes all over that dogs face and ears.

I'm leaning towards parasites, maybe trauma (never know what shelter dogs have gone through).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Asstro Van posted:

I think it's caused by anything that disrupts the coat. It could be scabbing or scarring from all kinds of things. Without a history, it's not easy to figure out the cause. I saw a dog in for boarding that had the same pocked appearance, but it ran down his neck to his shoulder. The hair wasn't actually gone, it was just being parted by a community of big fat ticks.

TICKS ARE GROSS :gonk:

ohgod.

Particularly when they are that numerous.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

edit: I'm the girl in the beginning who never goes to class though.

It's mostly because I honestly can't stand the quesions people ask and it makes me lose focus if I can even focus on the lecture in the first place.

But it's so fun to sit in the back row with other like-minded back rowers, talking poo poo about people on G-chat after they ask their stupid questions... then watching them lose interest halfway through the answer and watch the Internet shopping begin!

The shopping for lingerie and .50 cal rifles. No joke. I was watching a classmate go between those two webpages for 10 minutes.

Or the food animal dude browsing Craigslist for the livestock ads...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

My class is 100% female.

Are the other years similar or is yours special?

Ours is something like 80% female.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Larva posted:

Do all parasitology professors at some point in their lives smuggle an exotic species of parasite into the country in their own GI tract, or is it just a few of them?

Ours did, heh. I think it's a rite of passage for them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

"Starter topics" for conversation:

1. How many tries did it take you to get in?

2. What weight did your school place on different components of the application?

3. Did you interview? What were the questions like?

4. What do you like LEAST about vet school?

5. What do you wish you would have known before starting?

6. If you could start over with undergrad, what would you do differently?

1: One. I applied without an undergrad degree to UC Davis, and that was that - I later received a degree in Veterinary Science (or something like that) from the Vet School. I had been working on an Animal Science degree, and had a lot of classes with food animals as opposed to small animals.

2: No idea. I had good grades and GRE score, as well as one of the faculty as one of my letters of recommendation. I may have also gotten a verbal recommendation from someone at UC Davis, but I don't know how far that went.

3: I was asked if I thought my youth/lack of degree would be an asset or a liability. I was also asked - in detail - on how to do an ultrasonographic pregnancy check on a cat, including what probe type to use and why, what to look for, and the basics of scanning. I had about two years experience in the Small Animal Radiology Department at UC Davis, specifically in ultrasound, so it made sense. The woman asking had also seen me there on several occasions, so I guess it was seeing if I actually bothered to pay attention.

4: Students that always complain that they're failing, that they'll never become vets, etc., when they're actually doing fine... or on the other side the ones that preen themselves too much and try to make everyone else look bad by talking over people in rounds or trying to become BFFs with the residents/faculty whilst being dicks to their classmates.
That's different from the occasional panic about a test or an evaluation - it's the people that ALWAYS think that something horrible is happening.
Employees (read: ward techs) that try to avoid work by saying 'You need the experience because you're gonna be the doctor' and walking off or simply refusing to do things while they're watching lolcats on youtube.

5: There's nothing that I think I would need to know before starting. I knew the work load was tough going in (having worked with several years of 4th year students, I had heard a lot), so I felt like I was well prepared for the hit. It still sucked, but I knew it was gonna happen.
I guess the only thing that could be useful was to know about how much potential class drama there would be. I had never thought that it could get WORSE than high school with the whole 'who's sleeping with whom' or 'who's cheating on whom' BS - not to mention the academic drama.

6: I would try and take classes on anatomy. That was my weak spot starting out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, here's something I've really not liked about vet school.

People not knowing/caring about e-mail etiquette.

Things like...
1) Hitting reply all and telling everyone your availability for the next few wetlabs.
2) Hitting reply all or using the class list serve as a personal soap box.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pathology descriptions:
Nutmeg liver, tapioca pudding, moroccan leather...

Enelrahc, you just made me burst out laughing in the middle of the Medicine room. I got some weird looks. I told them I was reading VIN. (The Clinical Nutrition message board has some hilarious discussions now and then)

Braki, I was a class officer for awhile, so I heard some more things though that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Oh I love the clinical nutrition forum. That guy who has been showing up lately who is a giant fan of that crazy RMB australian guy is my FAVORITE. I crack up every time the consultants ignore what he says :3:

Oh man, the "Balanced Raw Diet?" thread is my current favorite. Is that the same guy? He has been popping up in several threads... I've been reading the boards for awhile now and I don't remember him before last week.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Yeah! I don't know where he came from, but I love him. I would be thrilled if he made a RMB thread like the original trainwreck. That's easily the best thread in the whole site, ever.

E: In true live feed form, I'm adding in the quote "Can you please explain what squams are and why you keep talking about them?" REALLY?!

I'm not aware of the original thread! I've been trying to search for it and got sidelined by a thread in Alternative Medicine.

Holy crap, I&Arguments is bonkers. It's like D&D but with people using their real names and knowing who everyone else really is. There are several times I've wanted to jump in...

... and then realize I should get a job first and THEN burn my bridges.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Yeah that thread was glorious. I sent it to Braki a couple of months ago...somehow she missed the glory.

Adding in "This is normal placenta in the rhino, but not in the horse." Why would I ever need to know that, EVER. If that's a board question in 2 years, I'm going to be loving pissed.

To be honest, US National boards aren't all that bad. I did VetPrep and those Vet Board Game cards and thought that those were sufficient.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Here you go. Sorry for non-vet people - it's restricted access. You have to go to vet school to get access (probably isn't worth it).

Thanks!

I found another one while trying to find that one.
Here.

Edit: Oh my, yours is generally crazy, mine is just a whole lot of DRAMA. I have a lot of posts to read.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 7, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Larva posted:

Truer words were never spoken.

Unless you do an internship (which everyone should, if possible), in which case you will continue to be both wrong and stupid for another year.

Internships can be really useful.

However, internships aren't for everyone, and there aren't enough good (imo) internships for every 4th year to match into.

There are some internships which are NOT good - they are there simply to get the vet hospital a cheap labor who will work 100 hour weeks because they're worried about looking bad during their internship. I have seen a few people lie through their teeth that they loved their internship - while knowing that they had several nervous breakdowns and hated every minute of it.

If you're going to go for GP long term, start searching for clinics early. If you can find a clinic where the vet is willing to mentor you, imo it's better than an internship. And you will make more money than people at the internship to start paying off your horrendous vet school debt.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

We have the same, as well as a lot of other IM teams and a vet school bowling league. I was IM flag football captain first year! But I kind of found that I prefer my sports to be sort of away from playing with my classmates, a separate thing that I can do where nobody wants to think or talk about school. :)

But... but... the delicious gossip. I've found out lovely things while getting buddy-buddy with people over a frisbee.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

^ true story. Who does that? What a friggin weirdo.

I literally broke someone's nose because they sat in my seat.

End seat of back row. You don't screw with that. :colbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

Just treated to a girl who sits in front of us usually coming in late and there was somebody in the seat she normally sits in, and she literally kneeled down next to the person to tell them they were in her seat and watched for a moment to see if the person would get up.

This really happened. enelrahc is my witness.

vetschool.txt

Didn't your class JUST make a video with that as a scene?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey, here's a potential future story then about your classmates!

The worst thing I've seen yet in clinics is the student who didn't understand the difference between superficial and deep pain and where to test it. Also apparently lacking ethics/intelligence.

The student was saying that the dog hadn't gotten its deep pain perception back after surgery. This was over 1-2 days.

When she finally transferred the case, the student who took it went in to check the dog and found numerous crush injuries to the webbing between the pelvic toes. The student had never been checking deep pain - they had been crushing the webbing, demonstrating a lack of superficial pain. The dog had deep pain perception (when done right over the bone).

Turns out she would just let the hemostats hang there while clipped to demonstrate things.

The person who took the case reported it to faculty, but I don't know what happened after.

Edit: Radiology is open note. Maybe just because I'm a Rad-maniac, but you'd better get A's. :colbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There was a lovely client who refused to take home pain meds after their animal had major surgery (about 1.5 days post-op) because they don't believe in pain meds. Took awhile to convince them to take home anything. They're probably not even giving what was sent home.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, here's another one. This one is funny, unlike the last one.

We have a Community Surgery where the students do the surgery with faculty supervision. It costs much less than getting the surgery done through our Soft Tissue or Orthopedic Services. I believe that the a requirement for getting a surgery through there is that the animal must be spayed or neutered.

(Friend of mine saw this one) Brachycephalic breed came in with a traumatic eye injury for enucleation. It was reproductively intact. Client was informed that if they got surgery through CS then the dog would have to be altered.

Their response? "Wolves aren't neutered." The dog didn't get the surgery.

That got me thinking about brachycephalic dog packs taking down a bison in the wild. Oh, those majestic beasts.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

Sorry, I was out of contact when that all went down. That said, I was kind of bugged by the presentation - "it's this... or it could be this... or this.." in three separate posts is not a great way of going about this.

I'm also going to have a discussion with other mods and admins about it, since I have yet to come up with a policy that's all-inclusive and easy to verbalize. Right now, it's kind of a feel thing - some things just feel wrong, but that doesn't give you folks a good meterstick to go by.

For now, until I get a better policy hammered out, don't discuss individual bloodwork results, and tell people to get a second opinion if they're concerned. If you have ideas for how to come up with a policy that prevents people from turning this into a vet replacement, but still allows for interesting case discussion, let me know!

I took a few days off to think about this. Yes, that post was nowhere near as good as it could have been (I've done far better) - and I probably need to be more careful and thoughtful of what I post now because bam apparently doesn't like me. By saying "this, this, or maybe this" it came out disorganized and apparently sounded enough like a diagnosis for me to be banned - even though I was trying to be vague (thus why it came out disorganized) in order to follow the gray zone we're in.

This is a really long post. Be sure to bring plenty of :munch:

What bothers me is that there are plenty of people here that seem to get by with recommending treatment or diagnoses of just about anything by starting things with "IANAV" or "I'm not an expert, but..." or "Well, when MY animal had that we did x and this happened" or whatever iteration. Sometimes they're just fine. Sometimes they're full of crap. I rush to try and get in before these bad ones (or ASAP after they've gone down) so that we don't have misinformation/confusion floating around - and then I end up making a bad post.

There was the time a poster was recommending azathioprine for a cat. The numerous posts about diarrhea in the Nutrition Forum (and everyone seems to diagnose a fiber or dietary responsive diarrhea). People who say, "I found this on Google:" What about the person who recommended people give cattle ivermectin for heartworm prevention because it's cheaper and then gives their dosing scheme?

Just check out the current Heartworm thread. Enelrahc was first in with two excellent links - probably the best information out there - and that was almost completely blown off by the OP with their later post of "limited exercise seems like a reasonable obstacle, but $1,000, 5-6 weeks cage rest in a new home..." The stuff had been posted, but it didn't seem to be actually read. Then someone comes in later going "Well my dog did x and...", which is essentially a soft recommendation for which treatment should be followed.

I've checked out Goon Doc - they've got people posting about their ailments all the time. What they have is a lot of med students and a chunk of doctors who regularly post - and they can regulate each other. Pet Island has few (rare?) veterinarians, what seems to be a good chunk of vet students (several who are nearly vets), and then smatterings of vet techs, pet enthusiasts, scientists, lay people... unless the number of people asking the questions or those answering are severely decreased, we'll continue to run into this problem. You can fix that problem by stopping people from asking questions (being consistent with probating/banning/gassing on questions), from answering questions (see previous but on the responders, and making it consistent), or by trying to find some way where we can have people discussing these topics in a similar way to Goon Doc. Maybe you should ask Invicta if they went through similar growing pains as to what we are going through now.

Unless the mods want to get probate-happy and basically remove the Nutrition thread, Animal Questions thread, Kidney Failure thread, Behavior threads, and probably 1/4 the threads on the front page, then something does need to be worked out. We can't require you to be on all the time watching things because you're the resident vet of PI - that's too much on you.

Is there a way we can see if there are posters who truly have experience in what they're talking about? Do we then allow those people to be the pseudo-experts of PI? How do we designate people who have proven themselves to know about veterinary topics, and if we do, how do we do it appropriately so it isn't all about favoritism? I butt heads with Super a lot - but there are several things where I greatly respect their knowledge and experience. Maybe we should just require a "References" section at the end of every post... but you can literally find a reference for whatever you want to say on the Internet.

I want to help PI. This forum can become an excellent source of information for many different people - vet students, techs, assistants, enthusiasts, owners, lay people... On the other hand, it can become a forum where everyone posts pictures of their dog/cat/chinchilla/chupacabra for everyone to respond :3: to.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solis posted:

So for you guys that don't know, I'm actually about to go into my fourth year, meaning I have to pick rotations.

And the OVC is a bitch and I only -just- got my schedule, and I've still got 4 weeks to fill. I'm kind of interested in doing an external a couple places in the US if I can hack it, but I'm not sure who the heck I'd talk to. I know there's a couple people in this thread from UC Davis, and I'm hoping someone from there would be able to PM or IM me who to get in touch with there?

Otherwise, I don't even know which schools or places I should be looking at for this stuff. Can anyone give me some advice?

Congratulations Solis!

Do you happen to know of any administrators on your end that may have any idea of how to get in touch with UC Davis personnel? Otherwise, go here!

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/dvm_program/visiting_students.cfm

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you guys have questions about the services themselves, I can let you know what my experience has been and what I've seen the visiting students do if you're interested.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So, has anyone here been hit on by clients? Any fun stories?

I played safety buddy for a resident. I was sitting in the rounds room for the rotation and he comes in and asks me to come in to the room with him and the client during discharge - "I need you there so that a legal case can be made if anything happens."

Unfortunately, I was not there for the walk to the front desk. He thought it was safe at that point - he was wrong. She grabbed his rear end.

I was also walking the client to the front desk for my experience. Client looks at me and says:
;-* Oh to be young again... I would be all over you. (she was around 40 years older than me)
:stare: Um... thanks... (I start walking faster to get into the next hallway where I can see people)
She goes on about it until we get into that next hallway... the only part I really remember was the last line: "Oh, that was probably all sexual harassment, wasn't it?"

Yes, yes it was. :gonk:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Those beagles probably thought you were the best people anywhere.

One of our Internal Medicine faculty had a great quote about repro:

"I spent 8 years of college, several years of practice, and 3 years of residency to earn all these letters after my name... and I have to jack off a Pekingese?"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

At my work experience today we did cherry eye surgery on a bulldog. I think I've mentioned it before, he came in a couple of months ago, vomited on induction and was very close to dying. So they didn't do the surgery. Nothing to do with the owner as he had been fasted as per normal.

Today they did surgery successfully and the dog vomited after. He'd been fasted for almost 3 full days! Also looked like he had mange. This dog was a mess.

Has anyone heard of this before? Could it have a bowel obstruction or something like that? The vomit was brown and runny. Last time after fasting for about 14 hours it still had visible kibble in it.

What do you induce/pre-med with?

Does he have clinical signs at home? It'd be a bit weird for an obstruction to only show itself at surgery. He's a bulldog - could have a hiatal hernia or something like that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That pug picture is the best.

But also reaffirming that I never want a brachycephalic breed.

Or you know, maybe because I don't want to deal with constant malassezia skin infections. :gonk:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I would recommend first looking at which schools you'd be looking at getting into. Here is a list of the accredited schools by the AAVMC:
http://www.aavmc.org/Students-Applicants-and-Advisors/Veterinary-Medical-College-Application-Service.aspx The "General Info Chart" under School Information has basic application information for each school, while "Accreditation and Licensure" under Before Applying is more focused on their location.

Once you have an idea of the school, find that school's website and see what their requirements are. Although there are many prerequisites that overlap (Chemistry, Biology, etc.), some schools may require a few different classes.

As far as the US goes, there really isn't a "bad" vet school. Some are more well known than others, but some are really good in one area compared to other areas.

A big factor in choosing a vet school is to see if they have a good program for what you're interested in. Say, if you're big about helping sea turtles (and want to work with them when you grow up), make sure they have programs or access to things like that.

Some vet schools use different methods of teaching. Try and find out what they are and make sure they jive with you.

Also check out the city and location - are you a big city person, or do you prefer rural? Would you pull your hair out on the plains, or would you hate driving downtown?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, to see the younger classes taking on the media via Facebook... you guys make me so proud.

Also so entertained.

FIGHT ON, YOU.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

YourCreation posted:

Explain

Purina OM recalls food.

News reports it.

Group on Facebook posts link with comment, "Yet another recall this one for low nutrition which can only happen with foods that don't have real meats"

Underclassfolks go on to explain where thiamine is found in foods. There were a few other comments made that on their own weren't any "ZING" moments (regarding taurine and nutrient utilization), but opened up holes in the arguments by the Facebook group. At that point, however, people stopped posting.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, I gave up. :effort:

You gave it a valiant effort! :patriot:

I thought about jumping in there when the person blamed the diet that's known to not be balanced and not for long term use on making their cat nutrient deficient... no duh.

Then I realized that if I popped in, there would be a lot of vet students and they could take the "well you've been bought out so your opinion doesn't mean anything" and so I stayed out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

It seems like here the crazy mostly takes place the last 2 quarters of second year. Last quarter of 3rd year seems pretty decent except for the surgery practical which a lot of people were pretty rattled by. Chaco and HSS can correct me if I'm wrong (and then I will kill myself because second year really, really sucks and if third is worse then uhhhh...).

Congratulations though!

3rd year is awesome. The worst quarter (in terms of tests and pure :smith:) was Winter quarter 2nd year. I loving loved third year - but was also done with lectures (as in sat in the back playing videogames not listening because gently caress LECTURES) at that point. You guys don't have to do SAVMA Symposium, so you'll have even less to do!

Surgery practical wasn't bad at all - people talk it up a lot but people just like to complain (if you haven't already figured that out).

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 19, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Just make sure you have your elective requirements in check prior to third year - having to take like 16 units when other people are taking 8 because the classes you wanted to take earlier didn't exist anymore isn't fun.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Yeah, I'm a little short because I only took one medicine this spring - going to figure it out with the dean next week, but I think I'm going to have to take some random herd health and wildlife poo poo that's supposed to be easy. I think we'll be in moderate trouble too because they're really not offering as many electives next year due to the curriculum changes. Woooooooo being the last class in the old curriculum is awesome.

I was totally trying to go for the wildlife one too (that's the one where you go for a week over spring break, right?) but because of SAVMA Symposium and my involvement with it (worst idea) I couldn't go and was contemplating taking Equine Locomotor and Ultrasound in third year... after never having taken a horse class.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If it's one thing you guys will learn to hate... it's your pager. Trying to plan what you're gonna be doing for the evening (food, chores, etc., nothing fun... because you're on call) while keeping this tiny device in your pocket... or on your belt... or on your nightstand while you're trying to get some sleep...

Suddenly BEEPBEEPBEEP. Three numbers pop up and you're confused... you can't call that... and you don't have any inpatients...

It buzzes again two minutes later with a second page, this time with enough numbers for you to dial.

Receptionist says, "Cat's going to surgery." *click*

Wait, what cat? There's a cat? Too bad, no questions answered here!

And you make your way over in a partial daze to the hospital at 12 midnight with the single thought of: "There's a cat... I don't know where... or with what... and I have to do something with it..."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey, here's a fun game to play!

It's the DON'T BE THAT rDVM GAME

Where you get presented with a patient that was terribly diagnosed and horribly managed and you can't fathom how in the hell that person got to be a vet.

Then, when you get to call them later for the follow up call (as a good student should) they chew you out after you tell them of the diagnostics and actual diagnosis (while you have being very polite and cordial and non-accusatory) because you: a) don't know what it's like in the real world; b) do too many diagnostics and are not useful; c) are young and don't understand life.

And then the resident, who has been sitting next to you working on records writes a note saying, "I forgot it was that rDVM sorry" and looks at you very apologetically.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

On-call sleep was the worst sleep. Maybe it gets better as you get used to it?

No, no it doesn't. You just sleep better (? maybe just more) because you're exhausted and thus more unconscious.

You may sleep through it though!

Just pray you're not one of those poor people who gets their pager number mixed up with reception. We have several duplicate first names in our class, and quite often they get paged for each other's pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

I'm on call now. Still, on call path isn't usually too bad except weekends. :)

So what generally is a path emergency?

What I can come up with:
- herd health situations (try to save the others!)
- some infectious disease processes where people/other animals have been bitten (figure it out to know the treatment!)

Also, what is the greatest number of different cancers you've found in an animal, and what was the animal and what were the cancers?

:ohdear: something is coming in with a painful abdomen and vomiting PLEASE let it be pancreatitis and not surgical :gonk:

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 23, 2012

• Locked thread