Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
What's up vet school buddies. I'm in my first year of the four year program at the Royal Veterinary College in London. I'm a UK Citizen but an international student as I have been living in Florida the last 15 years.

How do the US schools run their exams? Our final exams in June/July seem pretty horrifying. We have five days of exams. Three days are written exams that include multiple choice questions, problem solving questions, and essays. One day is an oral Integrated Structure and Function exam. You go in with two professors and they can ask you about anything and you have 6 minutes to answer as many questions as possible. It could start with identifying the olecranon on a live horse and go onto joints, muscles, innervations, blood supply, etc, or start with histology and move into immunology. You get two of those questions. It's madness. The last exam is a Spot test where you have 25 stations you rotate through every 2 minutes. At each station is a radiograph, or a dissected specimen, or a picture of histology/pathology, and you have to answer three questions about it. Every 5th station is a rest station. It's all going to be a blast?

Feel free to share your uber veterinary school study techniques with me. I'm just glad I have five years of veterinary nursing work to stand on.

For fun, here is an image I made while studying the other day:

YourCreation fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

Topoisomerase posted:

Those exams sound awful.

Also I thought pizzle rot in sheep was due to urine scald with high protein diet & corynebacterium infection?

It appears you are right. It was something a lecturer mentioned in passing in a parasitology lecture but I wrote it down because it sounded ridiculous.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Khelmar posted:

"Starter topics" for conversation:
1. How many tries did it take you to get in?

Two. I applied to three schools the first time and 13 the second.

2. What weight did your school place on different components of the application?

I am not sure to be honest. I had worked as a veterinary nurse for five years prior and also had a background in research and customer service, so perhaps that helped or perhaps it didn't.

3. Did you interview? What were the questions like?

I interviewed with the Royal Veterinary College. I was interviewed by a radiologist from their teaching hospital and an endocrinologist/lecturer who is now one of my lecturers. When I walked in and sat down they had my personal statement sitting infront of them with annotations and that made me excited/nervous. The majority of my interview consisted of them asking me questions about my personal interview, ranging from clarifications to where I came up with certain opinions or statements. They then went on to ask me ethical questions and hypotheticals. They gave me an offer at the interview and I about poo poo myself.

4. What do you like LEAST about vet school?

The amount of work required in things that I have no interest in. I understand that I need a knowledge of everything from microbiology and genetics to reproductive physiology to be a great veterinarian, but it does not mean I have to like it.

5. What do you wish you would have known before starting?

The amount of work truly required and how to engage my brain while studying. When I am active doing things like dissections or practicals my brain is very active making connections and asking/answering connections, but I just can't seem to get that same level of engagement while studying. I am getting better, but I am certainly not at the level I would like to be at. There really is 2+ hours of work required for every hour of lecture, and that's just to start.

6. If you could start over with undergrad, what would you do differently?

I would have stayed single, spent more time with my fraternity brothers, and enjoyed college more. Yes I did research and learned a lot, but hell you only get to do college once. I also would have taken comparative anatomy A LOT later in my college career and powered through the basics (chem/bio) earlier and faster than I did. I would also would have liked to take a critical thinking class.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Carebear posted:

Yup. We're a low cost shelter/hospital, so for whatever reason (cost?) that was their procedure.

Morphine and Hydromorphone cost next to nothing, while Buprenorphine is quite expensive. You could be hitting everything (that is healthy) that comes in the door with Hydromorphone as a sole pre-med and have great results.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Enelrahc posted:

Yeah! I don't know where he came from, but I love him. I would be thrilled if he made a RMB thread like the original trainwreck. That's easily the best thread in the whole site, ever.

Have to love how rabid people get about their favorite food. I remember one of my old colleagues talking about the crazy Australian guy and what a shitstorm VIN became.

You should also check out the Issues and Arguments board for all of your political commentary needs!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Enelrahc posted:

Here you go. Sorry for non-vet people - it's restricted access. You have to go to vet school to get access (probably isn't worth it).

Oh this is so much fun.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

But oh so respect for their utter dedication

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

So Khelmar since you're a rockstar Pathologist now (and since you stood me up for a Gainesville tour hehe), perhaps you could share with us students some study strategies for learning Histology/Pathology. It would be greatly appreciated!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

That makes great sense, thank you.
I have a hard time initiating my brain during solo study. When I'm doing practicals and clinical work my brain is firing, but it just grinds to a halt when I sit down.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Finished my Term 2 exam yesterday. Only 30 MCQs - 20 theory and 10 practical. It was not as bad as I thought. These little ones are only worth 5% and do not have a pass requirement so they are very low pressure. Now I get to spend Easter doing three weeks of Lambing and two weeks on a Pig farm with a 10 day break in between.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

There are some internships which are NOT good - they are there simply to get the vet hospital a cheap labor who will work 100 hour weeks because they're worried about looking bad during their internship. I have seen a few people lie through their teeth that they loved their internship - while knowing that they had several nervous breakdowns and hated every minute of it.

That describes the intern experience at the clinic I worked at as an ER/Referral technician. I am really glad I had that experience and exposure so I will be better able to pick a rotating internship in the future.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

I literally broke someone's nose because they sat in my seat.

End seat of back row. You don't screw with that. :colbert:

I'm with you. If I have to tilt my head back to see the projector screen I will smash something

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I am not too worried anymore. I think we all might be a bit better off if we had some parasites lurking within us to keep that darned immune system busy.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Lioness is a badass. She gave me a lot of advice while I was applying to school the first time around. She must be in the UC Davis program by now?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Chaco posted:

2 weeks of oncology, 2 weeks of surgery, 5 weeks in the Florida Keys, and then I'm DONE. Now, if only someone would hire me....

Good luck with the job applications! http://www.vinfoundation.org/ has some great resources for job seekers.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Asstro Van posted:

We had a client who refused to use anything for pain beyond aromatherapy.

You can include pain meds in the cost of surgery but you can't force a client who doesn't "believe" in them to administer anything after they're discharged.

The only way I can really think to approach this is to try to get them to understand the situation from the animal's point of view in a non-anthropomorphic way. Explaining that people refusing pain meds is fine because they understand why they are in pain and can make an active decision to suffer it. Animal's do not understand why they are in pain and would be well served by pain medications. Pain medications also quicken healing and recovery time.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I would not be at all worried at that temperature in a small dog like that - most small dogs will lose heat quickly during surgery if not mitigated.
In regards to the bradypnea/apnea, you have to take all of the factors into account. Pre-medicative drugs, induction drugs, gas inhalant, and what doses of all are given. If the patient is not breathing you can manually ventilate for a short while (never going above 20mmHg/H20 and making sure you do not forget to open the pop-off valve) and lower the amount of inhalant given if you are comfortable with the anesthetic depth. Be careful not to manually ventilate the patient too long as you can drive the CO2 levels down and reduce their drive to breathe as mentioned above. There is a happy medium. Just remember that changes in anesthetic depth do not happen too quickly so any changes you make should be small and with enough time in between to allow the patient to respond.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

The rules essentially say that general explanations about disease processes, etc, are allowed if people are knowledgable about them or have experienced them with their own pets, but that comments about specific cases are not allowed. I know that there is a lot of grey area there, but at the end of that post HSS commented about that animal's bloodwork specifically, which goes against the rules.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Seems like HSS just pissed off that mod in general based on his ban/probation history.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Enelrahc posted:

Can't we just agree that anyone who didn't grow up in a place with a winter is a terrible driver? Cause that's what my highly precise research has shown!

I don't mind Davis (although I don't love it either). I think our roaches are smaller than those in Florida, which is a bonus!

As an ex-Floridian I will say that I am a good and careful driver but I would not have a clue what to do in ice or snow. I am now in England and have been taking lessons to drive a manual (Florida is flat so everyone is in automatics) and it has been an experience. It is much more active driving and the rules here are very different. I have to drive back and forth from London to Windsor for a pig farm placement every day for the next two weeks and today's drive was almost a little scary. I only stalled once on the motorway!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Crooked Booty posted:

Oh god my classmates are retarded about behavior. I got a puppy recently and in the last 48 hours I've been told:
1) It's cruel to make my puppy do tricks for kibble.
2) If I feed him treats around my cats (rewarding him for being calm, not chasing) he will learn that cats are food.

And this is why I want to be a veterinary behaviorist.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Here are some things I would like to see:

1) An incredibly small teacher:student ratio during dissections. I think all professors should stop what they are doing so that they can assist during dissections. We only get to do each body part once and it would be amazing if we had someone there asking questions and guiding us towards applications.

2) More exciting practicals or group learning activities. 75% of them at my school would be better served done as solo work. It would be great if they caused excited and active engagement for all group members.

I am only in my first year so I cannot comment about the clinical stuff, but I would like to think that there is a healthy mixture of facts and PBL in my future.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I am in the last class to be interviewed in a traditional manner. I was interviewed by two lecturers - one endocrinologist (non-vet) and a veterinary radiologist. When I walked in they had my personal statement sitting infront of them with highlights and annotations. I was very pleased/terrified because my mentor and I had spent ages working on my personal statement. They made me an offer on the spot right after the interview. :slick:
(It was the only school out of 13 I even got an interview from let alone an acceptance so not that slick hehe).

My school now does the multiple interviews and apparently some are group. The class sizes over here are a lot bigger so that is their reason for multiple interviewees. One station that will have a skull on display and ask what you can tell about it - carnivore/herbivore/omnivore etc and perhaps lifestyle. I am not sure about that others. I was very glad for the traditional approach because the interviewers got to build upon my previous answers. They asked me ethical questions and asked for further explanation of my personal statement, as well as what I wanted to do with a vet med degree.

As for PBL, here is an example of a rather lengthy activity did with our exotics dude. We had a few hours scheduled for this but you do not have to stay the whole time or even show up.

quote:

Urinary System Directed Learning
Uncle Fester, a two year old boa constrictor, is presented to your small animal practice for lethargy
and anorexia (the most common presentation for reptiles).
Following your routine protocol for reptiles, you a) take the history, b) perform a clinical
examination, c) take a blood sample for haematology and biochemistry and d) take radiographs.

Results include:
- the history suggests the problem appeared to come on after the owners went on holidays for a
week, during which time Uncle Fester was looked after by their neighbour,
- clinical examination reveals that Uncle Fester is not as BAR (Bright Alert Responsive) as expected
and
- the most significant result from the diagnostic aids is a uric acid level of 2432 μmol/l
You make a diagnosis of gout, a disease of reptiles and birds, which is commonly seen in small animal
practice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gout is a common problem in birds and reptiles and to understand this and similar scenarios, it is
necessary to investigate the anatomy and physiology of the urinary system. Suggested areas/questions
to investigate are below.

Compare the nephrons of mammals, reptiles and birds

Compare nitrogen excretion in mammals, birds, reptiles (both terrestrial and aquatic) and amphibians
(both terrestrial and aquatic). What are the benefits/drawbacks associated with the excretion of each
of the different end-products of nitrogen metabolism? Where in the nephron are the different
nitrogen products excreted? What effect does dehydration have on the excretion of these nitrogen
products?

Explain why testing the specific gravity of the urine (a test to help assess the kidney’s ability to
concentrate the glomerular filtrate) is not useful in reptiles.
Why are terrestrial reptiles and birds predisposed to gout? Does being a herbivore or carnivore affect
this as well and, if so, how?

Describe the pathogenesis of gout in birds and reptiles.

What are the different types of gouts based on site predilection? Discuss the factors that predispose
joints to gout (obviously not a problem for Uncle Fester though).

Suggest appropriate treatments for gout and (very simply) explain the mode of action of your
preferred treatment.

Make husbandry recommendations for gout in i) green iguanas and ii) pythons.

Learning Objectives
1. describe the anatomy of the nephron in different classes of mammals;
2. compare nitrogen excretion in mammals, birds, reptiles (both terrestrial and
aquatic) and amphibians;
3. explain the clinical tests for renal disease in mammals, birds and reptiles;
4. describe the pathogenesis of gout.

Recommended Texts
O’Malley, B (2005). Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Pets: Structure and Function of
Mammals Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians. Elseiver, Edinburgh.
Specific References
Holz, PH & Raidal, SR (2006). Comparative Renal Anatomy of Exotic Species. Veterinary Clinic of
North America Exotic Animal Practice 9:1-11.
Raidal, SR & Raidal, SL (2006). Comparative Renal Physiology of Exotic Species. Veterinary Clinic of
North America Exotic Animal Practice 9:13-31.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He was definitely glad to have the ET tube and kept it in for ages after he woke up. First good breath he's had in years probably.

Hehe yeah, we had a Pug that happily kept his E-tube in post-op for ages. He was walking around with it and I think would have gladly gone home with it still in.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh, to see the younger classes taking on the media via Facebook... you guys make me so proud.

Also so entertained.

FIGHT ON, YOU.

Explain

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Well it's official. My first final exams start in a month and I am terrified 8(

Locomotion
Organs of Digestion
Endocrinology
Pathology
Immunology
Infections and Responses
Virology
Bacteriology
Animal Husbandry
Neurology
Renal and Urinary Tract
Reproduction
Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Systems
Hematology
Parasitology

Did I mention I am terrified?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Braki posted:

That does sound cool, Solis. You know what I saw today? A dog that was brought into emerg for a tick. It wasn't actually a tick.

I'm on nights this week and for the past 2 nights, zero animals have come in during my shift. There are literally no dogs in ICU right now, and just 3 in wards. I saw my first emerg case in 3 days and it was a not-tick.

You have now poked a stick at the angry gods of emergencies. You will be rewarded with 3 blocked cats, 2 bloats, and a Serval who fell out of a pear tree.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Sounds like it's time to seek a second opinion my friend

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I was manually ventilating a patient after a ventral slot gone wrong when the owner came in for a visit with rosaries and holy water. That was certainly an experience.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Countdown: 10 days until finals begin. I do not think I can last much longer.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Dr. Chaco posted:

:cheers:

My relatives are like kids with a new game, and that game is telling everyone, including each other, that I'm a doctor.

HELL YEAH CHACOOOOOOOOOO

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Congrats duders.

About to head out the door to take my first final exam of the week (six 30-minute essay questions). Yee haw!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Ends? I still have an oral exam and a SPOT test to go 8(
Monday night I will be on a tequila CRI, yee haw.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Oral exam down, one more to go on Monday!
Got asked about bird/reptile renal anatomy and physiology, muscles of mastication comparison in carnivore vs herbivore + innervation (forgot pterygoid muscle even existed), thyroid histology and function, and brain/meninges anatomy and function. Phew.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Man, how do you guys remember all of this stuff? I'm a kind-of-rusty veterinary assistant in the market for a job in a different state I was trained in. I'm trying to read up and remember all the state legislative stuff and I'm just overwhelmed.

I've been doing self-study by reading vet tech textbooks and I'm just overwhelmed.

Split it into manageable chunks, set a schedule, quiz yourself, draw things, anything to stimulate interest. Just learn it once then re-learn it in different ways. Make flash cards, board games, mind maps, whatever you have to do to get it in. Generally the more visual you can make the material the better you will retain it.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Shnooks, check out this website, it may be quite helpful: https://www.atdove.org/

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Just get creative 8)
Don't be afraid to ask questions about how much exposure/mentoring you will get at the clinic. Show them what you've got, let them know you are a hard worker, and ask who will help you build on your weak points.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

VSPN was an amazing help to me over the last five years. Everyone there is so brilliant and supportive.

AtTheDove must have just introduced that because they were a free site when I joined.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I Love You! posted:

That's basically the breakdown so far - what else should we be looking at?

A kick-rear end personal statement. My vet school interview pretty consisted of a discussion about my personal statement with two professors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Be a pro - do a csf tap in your bathtub using expired ketamine.

nbd

• Locked thread