Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rockopolis posted:

Watson's and Commed mostly. Nothing else shows up on Google maps. Looks like there's a Decathalon sporting goods store on Guilin rd if I cant find anything nearby. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah those places are barely drug stores, you're not gonna find something like that there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

No Costco membership.
Searched Watson's and Commed mostly. Nothing really shows up on Google maps. Looks like there's a Decathalon sporting goods store on Guilin rd if I cant find anything nearby. Thanks for the tip.

You’re looking in the wrong pharmacies. Look for a store with the Taiwan NHS logo on it:

That will sell medicine and medical stuff like braces.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Or just find your nearest hospital, there will be probably dozens of medical supply shops within a 100m radius that have every kind of medical apparatus you could dare dream of.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Got one. Thank you for the help.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

Got one. Thank you for the help.

No worries. It’s confusing for visitors.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Man, I just want to move here and be an insane hermit in the mountains. Saw Bitan, got there before the swan boats opened up, hoofed it across Jinghe trail to Maokong, rode the gondola back, now I'm drinking beer and eating stinky tofu. I need to find stinky tofu back in the States.

Reading through Taiwanese websites is tricky for me, I've been trying to find a place that rents out rowboats or kayaks. Found a few that were for big guided tourist groups, but not really any just rentals.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rockopolis posted:

Reading through Taiwanese websites is tricky for me, I've been trying to find a place that rents out rowboats or kayaks. Found a few that were for big guided tourist groups, but not really any just rentals.

One of the big downsides of this place as coming from a person who would go gently caress around on their own in the rivers of Oregon, is that a lot of things you could expect to do solo in the U.S. are, for reasons of both security/safety and to cater to mass participation, is that things like this are rarely done here without supervision.

If you wanted to spend the money on your own raft, and were willing/able to rent a car then there are definitely groups here that you could go with to facilitate the trip.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
One time I wanted to go ice skating but they wouldn't let me in if I didn't buy gloves. Because apparently they just assume that people are so stupid they'll get frostbite otherwise. Oh and I once got yelled at for backstroking in the swimming test pool at the water park. Which they have because they believe that people are so dumb they'll just go into deep water slides without the ability to swim.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Edit: never mind

Annie Chickenstalker fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 16, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, moved on to Shanghai and I'm already missing Taiwan :v:
That was an amazing trip, really glad I went, and I'm already scheming for a way to come back. Next time I want to do more hiking and actually find a hot spring to go to.
I really liked the hiking the most, a lot of the city spots were kind of meh - Taiwan 101, National Palace museum. Taiwan Beer ice cream at Snow King was pretty good. The city itself was fun to look at, I don't know if there's a word for it, but I really liked how the city was integrated into the mountains and jungle, it was really cool seeing buildings poking out of the jungles and on mountains in the middle of the city.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Same. I miss that.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I ended up feeling underwhelmed with the National Palace Museum as well - looking at countless pieces of jade and fancy pots, most without any context, got old for me fast. Maybe I should have waited for a guided tour. The Chiang Kai-Shek memorial was cool, though.

But everything else about the city was great, including the fact that you were surrounded by green space. It might be my favourite city I ever visited, but that might be my memory of oyster omelettes talking.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
Hi all,

Hoping to spend 5/6 days in Taiwan in April. Been reading this thread and other sources - appreciate any feedback or idea.

I was going to rent a car in Taipei and see

- Taipei (probably do tours, not use the car)
- Jiufen
- Taroko Gorge
- Sunmoon Lake

I'm purposely leaving it sparse because my time is quite limited. I might be able to squeeze another day....

Appreciate any input

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 18, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Vanilla posted:

Hi all,

Hoping to spend 5/6 days in Taiwan in April. Been reading this thread and other sources - appreciate any feedback or idea.

I was going to rent a car in Taipei and see

- Taipei (probably do tours, not use the car)
- Jiufen
- Taroko Gorge
- Sunmoon Lake

I'm purposely leaving it sparse because my time is quite limited. I might be able to squeeze another day....

Appreciate any input

Depending on your route that's like 600km of driving which is a solid chunk; as long as you're cool with that and won't tire out, it is a bit faster than trains.

Is Sunmoon Lake a major destination for you? Because that's the most far outside of your way as it's across the mountains in the middle of the island whereas everything else is within a reasonably small area to the East/Northeast.

Def don't drive in Taipei imo

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It might be a bit too much? I went to Taiwan last year and we fit Taipei, Jiufen (+a few other stops on a tour) and Taroko Gorge/Hualien into 7 days. That felt like the right amount of time to me, I wouldn't really have liked to fit a trip to Sunmoon Lake in too. But maybe you wouldn't mind it. Since you'll have a car, perhaps it's something you can consider when you're in Hualien

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Depending on your route that's like 600km of driving which is a solid chunk; as long as you're cool with that and won't tire out, it is a bit faster than trains.

Is Sunmoon Lake a major destination for you? Because that's the most far outside of your way as it's across the mountains in the middle of the island whereas everything else is within a reasonably small area to the East/Northeast.

Def don't drive in Taipei imo

I'd happily swap out Sunmoon Lake for something a little closer. It was just a recommended destination by a friend who loved it.

Would you agree that a car is necessary for my trip? They seemed pretty adamant I should get one but that's just one opinion!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vanilla posted:

I'd happily swap out Sunmoon Lake for something a little closer. It was just a recommended destination by a friend who loved it.

Would you agree that a car is necessary for my trip? They seemed pretty adamant I should get one but that's just one opinion!

If you're going to Sun Moon Lake, maybe. But if you're just staying in the north, a combination of MRT + regular train to Hualien should be enough. The Jiufen bus trip from the center of Taipei is about an hour. The easiest way from Taipei to Hualien is the old train or a bus (the train did have a large accident a couple years ago however.) When you get to Hualien, it is very easy to just hire a taxi for the day to take you around to all the major stops (I did that...4-ish years ago? there is probably an old post in this thread when I did it.) Honestly, in Taipei especially, parking and getting around would be terrible if you don't know the layout of the city. The MRT can take you almost anywhere in the city proper, and lines extend out to most played in Xinbei.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Vanilla posted:

I did the trip I mentioned without a car, it was very easy and travel time was always very reasonable

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

On my first trip we took a train to Taichung, hired a mitsubishi colt hatchback and drove to Taipei via Puli, Ren'ai, Lishan, Wuling and Yilan. It was great.

I'm trying to retrace my route, i remember we stopped in at CKS's mountain holiday home near lishan, I cant find it.
It had a pond and was near a tea farm. Which is basically anywhere in the hills.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Thanks all, I may just skip Sunmoon Lake then. I save time and sounds like I can do it without a car!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Sunmoon Lake is cool but I'd rather allocate an extra day or two at Taroko or somewhere near there along the coast.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3897992?fbclid=IwAR38rQfLDuGIIk75xwqKPWkvTQ1U5J1wtPqkGmCio5EttyJac281KB9e2F0

Teachers and students are not allowed to leave the island until the summer. Says Taipei but I heard for the entire country.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It started off as just a proclamation by the NTPC mayor afaik, but then a bit later was enacted nationwide. Big deal, where ya gonna go?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'll check with local sources/friends. Keoni hasn't exactly been the most sane ship in this storm.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Uber eats 來了,這是一款非常使用的 ay pee pee

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is taiwan seeing these at all?

https://hypebeast.com/2020/4/oreo-peach-oolong-sakura-matcha-release

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2020/06/07/2003737773

I honestly did not think they would vote him out, even after all the poo poo. I've never met anyone younger than 50 who liked Han.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2020/06/07/2003737773

I honestly did not think they would vote him out, even after all the poo poo. I've never met anyone younger than 50 who liked Han.

i hoped they would but i did not expect him to get so comprehensively fuckin owned

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Anyone going down to Chiayi this weekend for eclipse tourism?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

eclipse?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_June_21,_2020

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oh nice

CNA posted:

The eclipse will start at about 2:49 p.m. and end at 5:25 p.m. in Chiayi, with the complete "ring of fire" expected to occur at around 4:13 p.m. for 58 seconds, the museum said.

The sky will not get significantly darker, however, as is the case in a total solar eclipse, experts said.

In Taipei, for instance, observers can expect the climax of the event to take place at around 4:13 p.m., when the sun will be blocked and appear more like a new moon, according to the museum.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Are there enough people here who want to have a line chat or should I finally join the taipei goon one? Need to escape this sinking ship.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sure, do you have one of us on Line?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pirate Radar posted:

Sure, do you have one of us on Line?

I don't think I do, someone can PM me and I can try to do it.

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !
I don't have plat, how to join?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

https://line.me/R/ti/g/pmHRyW9VUg

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ooooh boy, did I just have an experience, and I will keep having this experience for at least the next 2 Sundays. My wife enrolled us in a Taiwanese education class, so I could learn some Taiwanese vocabulary. She would be there to help translate stuff because the class is being taught in Chinese.

What I did not know was that each class was going to be from 8:30 to 5:10, for 3 sundays. And that the class would be held in a small room where we would all just be sitting on plastic stools, all day. The class was designed for SE Asian wives of Taiwanese husbands to learn Taiwanese - explicitly so they could speak Taiwanese to their children. And I knew when in the morning there was were several local politicians there to make speeches, things would be bad. And then there was a news camera in the afternoon - also a bad sign.

This was everything bad about the Taiwanese education, and East Asian in general, educational experience. Just force as much poo poo as possible into as little time as possible. Review? What the gently caress is that for? Never repeat anything you just said to make sure people understand it. You have a person who is just speaking at you, not to you. In my 6 hours of class, we spoke...maybe 5, 6 times? And never individually, always just repeating as a group. There was never an opportunity to ask question, or practice your speaking, or to do...anything. Just sit there and listen to an old lady in a bad wig. It was just brain melting. You don't practice, you don't have time to remember, you just...sit there. And look at your watch. Some of these people are losing their only day off to be there.

There were 16 people in the class. Some were wives for Taiwanese men, some were in-house maids/caregivers, and then me. Good mix of people - Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, one Hong Konger. But I know that out of this group, maybe 1-2 of them were totally fluent in Mandarin and could read and understand most of what the teacher was saying. Maybe one half could get the jist of some like me. But I know there were alot of them who had less Mandarin than me, and they were just stuck there. We decided to leave early because the last 3 hours was going to just be how important a balanced healthy diet is ( explained in mandarin, not taiwanese.) Which is also why there was also a half hour lesson about safety lessons for driving electric bikes (the ones with the pedals.)

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 12, 2020

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Hi thread. Interested in Taiwan among other countries in Asia. I haven't posted at all in this thread yet, but anyone in here who wants to shill Taiwan to me can feel free to do so (I have my own skepticism given the amount of humidity and bad air quality in certain cities though, much like other places in E/SE Asia). Going to post my long copypasta from other threads.

Tbh I'm just trying to figure out a place in Asia to call home for a few years, so I'm struggling to figure out where to ask this between here and the Korea thread. My main asks are decent air quality, decent weather (hot and humid is fine as long as we're not talking about Miami/Tallahassee levels; I used to visit grandparents there and don't want to repeat that experience ever again), a decent cost of living, and a decent enough job market so that my gf and I can find work. Jeju island in Korea seems like it might be nice so I'm going to follow up in the Korea thread as well

I have to confess that another big motivation for me is COVID. I am now fully vaccinated but I recognize that the airport/flight over could be a problem with variants, but after the inevitable quarantine period I want to live in a country where I can have a normal life and not be afraid all of the time which is how I feel like things will stand in the West for years to come. I look at Vietnam having what, 3 new cases per 100,000 in the past few weeks? Regardless of how much Asian countries may or may not be cooking the books, their response has undeniably been insanely robust compared to everywhere else. And while I like the idea of living in New Zealand okay, the cost of living seems insane and I'd rather experience more culture shock rather than simply move to another Anglo country. Plus, NZ/Australia don't really fit with my aim of teaching English abroad.

If anyone knows good online "expat" communities then that would be helpful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Most of us are in Taipei, which has a climate similar to Miami’s but with more rain. It’s hotter in the other cities. The central mountains might be different, but I don’t know how many English teaching jobs there are in Nantou.