Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

TheSpiritFox posted:

Out with the old

In with the new

I'll endorse the revised version if I can still have an entry for talking about my playthroughs at length :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
What he says! We can't have a thread without magimix playthrough discussion, how else will I learn to play classes other than vanguard?!

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

magimix posted:

I'll endorse the revised version if I can still have an entry for talking about my playthroughs at length :colbert:

What's done is done until someone else does it again.

:Edit:

Still had photoshop open, what the hell.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 23, 2012

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
There is nowhere near enough red for that to be accurate.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lloyd Boner posted:

It's about on par for here. Now if we were going by the Bioware forums...I'm not sure there's enough of the right hue of red needed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I approve of Vanguards :shepface:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lloyd Boner posted:

Perhaps, but this thread feels like it'll be the one place on the Internet where I'll be able to obsess over gameplay in the context of the single-player :haw: And there will be much to discuss, because the new Insanity Engineer is shaping up *very* nicely indeed - extremely impressed with what the class has become. So much time spent experimenting with talent combos, it may as well be a weaponless run (which would be cool, because they were a weaponless Engineer in ME2).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Oh, man. :( Now I'm bummed. Kelly Chambers got shot in the face, according to some refugees. I never got the option to tell her to change her name - did I have to do something else other than talk to her to get that option? I had two separate conversations with her. And after she took care of my fish for me too. And she's not even on the wall on the Normandy?! That's just terrible. :(

I knew she didn't die until Priority: The Citadel II. I only saw Priority: The Citadel in my Journal, so I thought I was safe. Turns out there isn't actually a "II" in the mission name in the game. My inability to understand that got Kelly killed. I'm a horrible Shepard.

I also had to take the Renegade option of shooting Udina. What a dick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Kelly is the punching bag of ME. No matter what you do, she will end up dieing horribly.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Aaaaand OP'd. Glad we have a new one, haha, thanks Fox!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Internet Kraken posted:

Kelly is the punching bag of ME. No matter what you do, she will end up dieing horribly.

Nah. Everyone knows the real punching bag of ME is Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani. :shepface:

Kelly is just the "Butt Monkey" in the TVTropes sense of the word. Paralyzed, dragged into a claustrophobic cocoon, forced to watch people liquification, if she survives she's on the run, then rounded up by husked shock troops of her former org and shot in the face.

Oh, and she doesn't count as a ShepRomance, meaning she's even less of a character than Allers.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 23, 2012

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's a shame all the collectible war asset stuff doesn't do anything beyond filling up a bar. I mean all the flavour text you get when you obtain a new asset is cool, but I think they really missed a trick by not making all these collectibles have a more tangible effect on your experience of the game. One of the best things about Assassin's Creed 2 was the fact that you had this town, and as you nurtured it by opening/upgrading shops, or collecting poo poo in the game, the town itself came more alive. Streets would get cleaned up, banners would appear, broken windows would get fixed, that kind of thing. It's a shame there's nothing cosmetic like that in Mass Effect 3, like even having your fleet following you around or amass by the Citadel would have made the whole process feel a lot more tangible and rewarding.
Or maybe it's just that I'm a fool for spending ages in every system collecting all the war assets.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Kelly is just the "Butt Monkey" in the TVTropes sense of the word. Paralyzed, dragged into a claustrophobic cocoon, forced to watch people liquification, if she survives she's on the run, then rounded up by husked shock troops of her former org and shot in the face.
Well, she doesn't have to die, if you can get her to change her identity. I never got that prompt, though, so I think you needed to do something else to get it to show up.

I romanced Traynor last night. That was awkward...who showers in their bra, anyway? Then I immediately called up Allers for an interview, and she hit on me. I told her to keep it professional since my Shepard is a one-woman gal and she tried to play it off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, she doesn't have to die, if you can get her to change her identity. I never got that prompt, though, so I think you needed to do something else to get it to show up.

Yeah, and then she will either commit suicide after you yell at her or live to see the citadel fall under Reaper control and experience the horror of the collector invasion all over again.

There is no happy ending for Kelly :smith:

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Crows Turn Off posted:

Oh, man. :( Now I'm bummed. Kelly Chambers got shot in the face, according to some refugees. I never got the option to tell her to change her name - did I have to do something else other than talk to her to get that option? I had two separate conversations with her. And after she took care of my fish for me too. And she's not even on the wall on the Normandy?! That's just terrible. :(

I knew she didn't die until Priority: The Citadel II. I only saw Priority: The Citadel in my Journal, so I thought I was safe. Turns out there isn't actually a "II" in the mission name in the game. My inability to understand that got Kelly killed. I'm a horrible Shepard.

I also had to take the Renegade option of shooting Udina. What a dick.

You did the right thing. A bullet in the head is the best thing for Kelly, really. The other options are to be so cruel to her she kills herself, because your approval is literally the only thing she has left in her life. If you romance her, you're a monster. "Romancing" Kelly in ME3 consists of a quickie in a rusty metal storage container. It's probably hot, stinks like blood from all the rust, and has space rats in it. She was probably picking slivers of metal out of her rear end when the husks came for her.

That's right. That's what happens to Kelly if you 'save' her. She gets to live to experience her worst nightmare all over again. She does obviously have the ability to kill herself, so I hope she blows her brains out when the first husks arrived, instead of being paralyzed by fear. If that happens, the hideous, deformed corpses that were once men will drag her down into the depths of the Citadel and subject her to the horrors of the Collector base all over again. Maybe they put her on a Dragon's Tooth, make her sit there screaming, waiting for her turn, knowing there's no escape. Maybe she's in that pile of bodies when you first go up the beam. Lying there, still alive, covered in gore and filth, weighed down by the dead bodies of her new friends that she was trying to help. Feebly clawing at your boot as you limp by, croaking your name though you can't hear her.

That's what happens to Kelly if you 'save' her. Her worst nightmare happens again, and this time the hero doesn't come to save her.

It's best if you let the Cerberus troops shoot her in the head. She won't really feel it or see it coming, and she'll die with the last shred of pride and hope she has intact, rather than enduring the depredations of the Reapers.

Bioware doesn't care about Kelly.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Grumbles posted:

It's a shame all the collectible war asset stuff doesn't do anything beyond filling up a bar. I mean all the flavour text you get when you obtain a new asset is cool, but I think they really missed a trick by not making all these collectibles have a more tangible effect on your experience of the game. One of the best things about Assassin's Creed 2 was the fact that you had this town, and as you nurtured it by opening/upgrading shops, or collecting poo poo in the game, the town itself came more alive. Streets would get cleaned up, banners would appear, broken windows would get fixed, that kind of thing. It's a shame there's nothing cosmetic like that in Mass Effect 3, like even having your fleet following you around or amass by the Citadel would have made the whole process feel a lot more tangible and rewarding.
Or maybe it's just that I'm a fool for spending ages in every system collecting all the war assets.

I agree, but since I haven't played very far into it yet, I really just have one concern since the ending is apparently so bad. In Fable 3 you spend most of the game doing exactly the same thing as Shephard does; uniting several factions to fight a common threat in a giant apocalyptic battle. Except you never actually see that battle. Or any of your forces. Or anything at all to indicate that you did anything. You just fight some dudes in the street. ME3 doesn't do that, I hope.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
To answer that vaguely (but still implicitly spoilery)

you definitely see the battle (and fight in it), and there are some changes shown based on what you did and who you recruited for the fight. But not many, and it ultimately doesn't mean much.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ambiguatron posted:

You did the right thing. A bullet in the head is the best thing for Kelly, really. The other options are to be so cruel to her she kills herself, because your approval is literally the only thing she has left in her life. If you romance her, you're a monster. "Romancing" Kelly in ME3 consists of a quickie in a rusty metal storage container. It's probably hot, stinks like blood from all the rust, and has space rats in it. She was probably picking slivers of metal out of her rear end when the husks came for her.

That's right. That's what happens to Kelly if you 'save' her. She gets to live to experience her worst nightmare all over again. She does obviously have the ability to kill herself, so I hope she blows her brains out when the first husks arrived, instead of being paralyzed by fear. If that happens, the hideous, deformed corpses that were once men will drag her down into the depths of the Citadel and subject her to the horrors of the Collector base all over again. Maybe they put her on a Dragon's Tooth, make her sit there screaming, waiting for her turn, knowing there's no escape. Maybe she's in that pile of bodies when you first go up the beam. Lying there, still alive, covered in gore and filth, weighed down by the dead bodies of her new friends that she was trying to help. Feebly clawing at your boot as you limp by, croaking your name though you can't hear her.

That's what happens to Kelly if you 'save' her. Her worst nightmare happens again, and this time the hero doesn't come to save her.

It's best if you let the Cerberus troops shoot her in the head. She won't really feel it or see it coming, and she'll die with the last shred of pride and hope she has intact, rather than enduring the depredations of the Reapers.

:stare:

I'm actually glad Kelly didn't show up in my previous ME3 run (I'd saved her from the Collector Base, but she didn't show up in my game at all, presumably because I didn't invite her up for dinner), because thats all just too drat depressing! (Vividly written though, I give you props for that :haw: )

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ambiguatron posted:

In my play through she left the citadel with Captain Bailey before anything bad happened to either of them. No I can't prove it but it happened okay.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

ME3 doesn't do that, I hope.

The only answer I have to this is resounding laughter because it really is exactly what happens.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I think I need to play through again, but I'm not sure I can really muster up the effort when a LP will do the same thing.

I didn't like the Citadel much in ME2 so I stacked all my Citadel based activity until I absolutely had to go there for Priority: Citadel.... and at that point I think I missed a lot of opportunities to talk to people, at least that's what I'm starting to pick up from the thread.

Oh well.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

magimix posted:

:stare:

I'm actually glad Kelly didn't show up in my previous ME3 run (I'd saved her from the Collector Base, but she didn't show up in my game at all, presumably because I didn't invite her up for dinner), because thats all just too drat depressing! (Vividly written though, I give you props for that :haw: )

She doesn't appear if you didn't do the conversations with her. I think you have to get to the having dinner stage. I'll never import a save that will bring her to the Citadel. I can buy new fish.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So I was bored and made a variation:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You have to buy new fish in Mass Effect 3, anyways. I guess the ones you had were contraband Cerberus fish, so they had to be detained and questioned.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Darko posted:

For that scene, right? Because I'm like 80% Renegade in this game with options and 90 or so in the others, and I could pick the Paragon or Renegade choice with each prompt.

You have to pick each and every paragon option, or the renegade option each time. If you miss any of them, you can't pick the last conversation option.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I did as many side missions as possible before the Tuchanka priority one. It felt like the quality of the game was building up through that whole mission, and although the multiple brutes section was giving my Sentinel fits it was ultimately enjoyable. That sequence with the thresher maw taking down the reaper was chock full of :hellyeah:

I'm still a little bummed at my squad options, even with the addition of Javik. No krogans? No Jack? :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked that the whole deal about time-sensitive missions had the opposite effect intended, I ended up delaying all the "PRIORITY URGENT DANGER" missions under the reasoning that there's no way they'd let the story missions expire :v:

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Phylodox posted:

You have to buy new fish in Mass Effect 3, anyways. I guess the ones you had were contraband Cerberus fish, so they had to be detained and questioned.

No, the fish are dead, and she keeps them in a box and pretends it's an aquarium. She pulls them out and lays them out on the table in her rusty box and pretends she's having dinner with you again. This time, you don't throw her away like she's useless after using her.

Then reality comes crashing back down.

Bioware doesn't care about Kelly Chambers.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I didn't have to buy new fish. Kelly held on to them for me and delivered them to the Normandy once I talked to her. You can buy more fish, though, even a bad-rear end jellyfish from the Hanar homeworld.

Also, I think my permanent squad is Javik and Garrus. There's no reason to use anyone else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crows Turn Off posted:

You can buy more fish, though, even a bad-rear end jellyfish from the Hanar homeworld.

That was a baby hanar, you kidnapping, racist son of a bitch!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Crows Turn Off posted:

Also, I think my permanent squad is Javik and Garrus. There's no reason to use anyone else.

There is good dialog with other characters!

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Phylodox posted:

That was a baby hanar, you kidnapping, racist son of a bitch!

If you hadn't bought it, it would be left on the Citadel to die. Maybe after the game is over, Javik takes it. :3:. Haha, just kidding, it probably hits the windshield of the Normandy when it crashes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have been replaying ME1 and ever since that ANN twitter I am nice to Emily Wong. :3:
I don't want her to get me wong when I explain her things, She get the wong impression and make the news about me have the wong impact. :shepface:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Speaking of fish, does anyone know what the NG+ email from one of the fish is about? It's mentioned in the guide.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NihilCredo posted:

So I was bored and made a variation:

The hell? This isn't anywhere near corre- oh, you're one of those infiltrators.

A real infiltrator carries a claymore and kills stuff up close and personal :colbert:

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Houdini posted:

Speaking of fish, does anyone know what the NG+ email from one of the fish is about? It's mentioned in the guide.

The true secret ending. The Illium skaldfish was behind it all along.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

TheSpiritFox posted:

In with the new

It's so accurate! :swoon:

Dumb question that occurred to me while on the shitter. The Reapers have a hell of a lot of ground forces, but seem to create them from the races they are purging. This means that the shock troops from the previous Reaper invasion must have been left behind when they returned to dark space.

What happened to all the left over indoctrinated creatures? :confused: Surely if they "died" then archaeologists would have discovered the remains or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

It's so accurate! :swoon:

Dumb question that occurred to me while on the shitter. The Reapers have a hell of a lot of ground forces, but seem to create them from the races they are purging. This means that the shock troops from the previous Reaper invasion must have been left behind when they returned to dark space.

What happened to all the left over indoctrinated creatures? :confused: Surely if they "died" then archaeologists would have discovered the remains or something.

I assumed they got mulched for food or fuel or that when the reapers leave they disintegrate everything they used.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Count Choculitis posted:

Aaaaand OP'd. Glad we have a new one, haha, thanks Fox!

My name is spelled wrong :saddowns:

Ambiguatron posted:

This is actually what the game implies happens. You aren't exaggerating or making this up. I can't help but think there was absolutely no thought put into that whole segment, because there's no way they wanted to say things like that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe one of the Bioware writers just really hates chirpy redheads.

• Locked thread