Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

richardfun posted:

"They used to eat flies".

This is really the only possible option. (Granted, I'm going through SP so slowly that I haven't even gotten to the Midpoint of No Return, but still.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

richardfun posted:

For a quote, I'd say "Asari mastered reading?" or "They used to eat flies".

You know, later on I was sure Javik said "They used to lick their eyes" but I didn't hear it on my second playthrough. :[

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I thought the romances in this game would be easier to avoid, but apparently not. I somehow ended up in a romance with Vega despite doing nothing I can see to initiate it. God dammit Bioware, I thought you'd learned :mad:

skoolmunkee posted:

You know, later on I was sure Javik said "They used to lick their eyes" but I didn't hear it on my second playthrough. :[

I think he says that somewhere else.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rabidredneck posted:

Just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOyeFvnhiI&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=2&feature=plcp and I have to say, that would make the endings make a ton more sense.
This makes a lot of sense and I hope it ends up being true.

Bioware obviously wants the Destroy ending to be canon. It's your only choice if you just play through the story. Shepard destroying synthetics (as in, not succumbing to indoctrination) is the "default" ending. It allows them to pick up right there and continue fighting the Reapers since they're not actually dead. If you actually got a lot of war assets as well, then you get to see Shepard live, on Earth, in the rubble of London as a sort of "good job" teaser. Either way, in the DLC, I would guess Shepard will be found and healed and you'll continue fighting.

You can even beat the indoctrination earlier if you're good enough by convincing the Illusive Man to kill himself. Since it's not the real Illusive Man killing himself, you're basically just so good that your mind outright rejects the idea of indoctrination (represented to Shepard as IM killing himself).

If you picked to follow the indoctrination, either via Synthesis or Control, then the game is over. No need for DLC from these two endings. It would be like the ME2 ending if Shepard dies. The supposed epilogue DLC will continue on from the Destroy ending only, I would guess.

So, that means everybody is actually fine and fighting the Reapers, and you'll come back and activate the real Crucible in the DLC, and all is well.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Internet Kraken posted:

I think he says that somewhere else.
It's one of the little comments he makes when you talk to him on the Normandy in-between missions.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mordiceius posted:

I need to find a good Javik picture and quote for an avatar.
He's great when he big-brothers it over the younger species, but to me his best line will always be this:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Internet Kraken posted:

So I thought the romances in this game would be easier to avoid, but apparently not. I somehow ended up in a romance with Vega despite doing nothing I can see to initiate it. God dammit Bioware, I thought you'd learned :mad:

I didn't think it was possible to do that at all.

Javik :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

This makes a lot of sense and I hope it ends up being true.

Bioware obviously wants the Destroy ending to be canon. It's your only choice if you just play through the story. Shepard destroying synthetics (as in, not succumbing to indoctrination) is the "default" ending. It allows them to pick up right there and continue fighting the Reapers since they're not actually dead. If you actually got a lot of war assets as well, then you get to see Shepard live, on Earth, in the rubble of London as a sort of "good job" teaser. Either way, in the DLC, I would guess Shepard will be found and healed and you'll continue fighting.

You can even beat the indoctrination earlier if you're good enough by convincing the Illusive Man to kill himself. Since it's not the real Illusive Man killing himself, you're basically just so good that your mind outright rejects the idea of indoctrination (represented to Shepard as IM killing himself).

If you picked to follow the indoctrination, either via Synthesis or Control, then the game is over. No need for DLC from these two endings. It would be like the ME2 ending if Shepard dies. The supposed epilogue DLC will continue on from the Destroy ending only, I would guess.

So, that means everybody is actually fine and fighting the Reapers, and you'll come back and activate the real Crucible in the DLC, and all is well.

Funny spoiler.

If you use EDI all game, then beat the game and choose Destroy, then she comes out of the ship at the end

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Internet Kraken posted:

It's just some harmless flirting. He's not man enough to actually do anything about it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, just finished the game a while ago. Javik is the best, I just used him and Garrus as much as possible. That Prothean Rifle with unlimited ammo basically breaks the game, along with Biotic Charge. Who decided it should fill shields entirely? And recharge in about a second? Fun though, just flinging Shepard round the room at all the baddies. Slam was great too, picked it up in ME2 as well, but it was even more fun here, bouncing people off the floor again and again until they flew right up into the air never got old.

The story was stupid, and got more so as it went by, so really the ending didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would because I was pretty much seeing it as a lost cause halfway through ME3. Gameplay was pretty good though, probably my favourite of the series in terms of actual fighting.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 23, 2012

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SuperKlaus posted:

My question is really: can the Widow one-shot a Marauder/Phantom/Combat Engineer/other badguy with a shield or barrier or armor bar on Normal difficulty?

My Vanguard Charge regularly knocked away a Marauder's entire shield bar and wounded his health down to like three boxes. Regardless of that, my friend claims his Widow only ever takes out the target's shield bar, leaving the health bar intact, regardless of cloak or uncloak. Which, if true, would be enormous bull.

If he's playing on Insanity, this is true. if you take away the last of a bar then you only do 50%/25%/0% of the remaining damage to the next one at Normal/Whatever/Insanity respectively.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, I never saw this exchange before

EDI: I only forget to recycle the Normandy's oxygen when I find something truly interesting.
Shepard: :aaa:
EDI: That was a joke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I never saw this exchange before

EDI: I only forget to recycle the Normandy's oxygen when I find something truly interesting.
Shepard: :aaa:
EDI: That was a joke

And yet I know people who stubbornly insist that entire character is terrible. :frogout:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Someone needs to make a gif of Shepard's face during that scene.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe one of the Bioware writers just really hates chirpy redheads.

Late to the party, but there is no D: big enough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

precision posted:

And yet I know people who stubbornly insist that entire character is terrible. :frogout:

Speaking of that, how much of the "creepy and weird" stuff from the leaked script actually showed up in game? I never read it, but there was a lot stuff that made it sound like the game was super creepy town fanboy fantasy, especially about EDI and Tali.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Morden/Joker conversation about EDI is in there, for example.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of that, how much of the "creepy and weird" stuff from the leaked script actually showed up in game? I never read it, but there was a lot stuff that made it sound like the game was super creepy town fanboy fantasy, especially about EDI and Tali.

Looking back over the leaked script, it seems like most of the EDI stuff in there is in the game, but the voice acting makes it a lot less creepy (to me anyway) than it reads on virtual paper. It comes across as more about EDI coming to terms with her new freedom and "emotion chip" type stuff to the point that it pretty much is a copy-paste of Data from Next Generation. So it hasn't bothered me too much.

It does bother me that her two alternate costumes are literally just Miranda's white and black catsuits, though.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

precision posted:

It does bother me that her two alternate costumes are literally just Miranda's white and black catsuits, though.

Don't forget the white one also features robo-labia. Not sure about the black one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

messagemode1 posted:

Don't forget the white one also features robo-labia.

Didn't notice that.

I... I really didn't need to know that. :catstare:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

messagemode1 posted:

Don't forget the white one also features robo-labia. Not sure about the black one.

You are a bad person for making me notice that. Now I can't unsee it.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Welcome to Mass Effect, enjoy your stay!

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
So I am at the point where I am just about to attack the Illusive Man's base, and the journal entry clearly says "all forces will be dedicated to fight the Reapers" etc.

I am about to be without internet for a few days, but don't want to finish the game tonight. If I start the next mission and save about 5min into it, will the strength/readiness check have been registered, so even if my readiness falls back down to 50% I won't have to worry since the game will already have checked it at 100?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Someone needs to make a gif of Shepard's face during that scene.

Someone did (one of many I've found): http://imgur.com/7wUy9

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sanschel posted:

Someone did (one of many I've found): http://imgur.com/7wUy9

That is awesome and I'm sure would make a great avvie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

My question is really: can the Widow one-shot a Marauder/Phantom/Combat Engineer/other badguy with a shield or barrier or armor bar on Normal difficulty?

My Vanguard Charge regularly knocked away a Marauder's entire shield bar and wounded his health down to like three boxes. Regardless of that, my friend claims his Widow only ever takes out the target's shield bar, leaving the health bar intact, regardless of cloak or uncloak. Which, if true, would be enormous bull.

However, if it is also true that you can make the whole guy's body explode, that would pretty much cancel the bull for me.

I'm sure I've seen the Black Widow chip into health when they've been at full shields, but this is just anecdotal. The 'make duders 'splode' thing is true, though, and makes perfect sense for what the Widow's supposed to be.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
The Carnifex makes people explode as well.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
If Bioware intends for us to pick up immediately after that drawn in breath teaser, it's a major dick move on their part to dump me back at the beginning of the two hour long endgame with limited save points. Also it does nothing for Kelly.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
So I only reently realized the Widow and Black Widow are two different guns. How are they different from each other?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Haledjian posted:

So I only reently realized the Widow and Black Widow are two different guns. How are they different from each other?

The Black Widow has 3 shots to a clip.

It cannot be overstated how much of a difference this makes.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Does it deal the same damage?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ambiguatron posted:

If Bioware intends for us to pick up immediately after that drawn in breath teaser, it's a major dick move on their part to dump me back at the beginning of the two hour long endgame with limited save points. Also it does nothing for Kelly.

Well, they would be dumping you at the end of a two hour long slog with limited save points. You'd be waking up pretty much right after you got blasted by Harbinger. Also, they could implement an endgame that involved re-taking the Citadel and rescuing all the people you helped previously, so it could do something for Kelly. She could have her Ellen Ripley moment and finally face her fears and come out stronger on the other side.

Not that they'll do any of that, of course...

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Haledjian posted:

Does it deal the same damage?

Black Widow deals significantly less damage per shot, but it will deal more damage than the Widow with the whole clip.

I also suggest you try the N7 Valiant, if you have the collector's edition.

Less damage than the Black Widow and it doesn't pierce without the mod, but with almost no recoil, it's extremely easy to put 3 headshots in a single target before the damage bonus from cloaking runs out. It also weighs a lot less, so you can use powers a lot more often.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

After beating the game, you can select "restart mission" and it'll drop you out right before the charge to the beam. At least, that's the way I remember it happening for me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

After beating the game, you can select "restart mission" and it'll drop you out right before the charge to the beam. At least, that's the way I remember it happening for me.

I keep doing it and the ending keeps not changing...

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

TheSpiritFox posted:

I'm so glad we revised this - looking forward to being responsible for hijacking the thread down into gay Shepard discussions every few pages

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 24, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

Didn't notice that.

I... I really didn't need to know that. :catstare:

Mass Effect 3 is art.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

The game also creates autosaves at nearly every point, even though you can't save yourself. If you get to the choice room and can move, check your save directory, make a copy of AutoSave.pcsav, and you can load that to get right back there.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Indoctrination Theory needs to be on that spiral.

And Bioware's dumb writing won't make a Creative Writing degree any more useful or relevant, Ambigua. Nor will Kelly Chambers' fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Internet Kraken posted:

Mass Effect 3 is art.

I think that about sums up my reaction.

• Locked thread