Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, is it just me, or are the squadmates a LOT less aggressive this time around? Even when I order them close to the enemy, it's like pulling teeth to try and get them to fire their gun. I watched James sitting in cover right next to a guy and wouldn't even fire on him when I ordered him to, and they hang back a LOT more than they need to.

Let me know, maybe I'm just getting myself into odd situations or something.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too. It bugs me given how great the enemy AI is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, is it just me, or are the squadmates a LOT less aggressive this time around? Even when I order them close to the enemy, it's like pulling teeth to try and get them to fire their gun. I watched James sitting in cover right next to a guy and wouldn't even fire on him when I ordered him to, and they hang back a LOT more than they need to.

It seems that way. Then again, this isn't a Bad Thing, considering in my ME2 replay last week it seems that all my squadmates (especially Mordin) seemed to enjoy traipsing across the battlefield completely exposed, usually dying in a fire.

Between "turtle" and "lemming" I'll gladly take the option that keeps their powers available without draining my medigel every mission.

Also: 138% recharge and upgraded throw is just hilarious against husks.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Annakie posted:

Words

Maybe someone at Bioware will see this and reward you for your efforts.

HINT HINT

Or pick up the bill for you, since they do use it afterall.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm really really loving this game more and more and I'm barely even started I think.

Also count me shocked at the fact that I actually just talked to a homosexual character in a video game who wasn't a total stereotype that in itself was a pretty god drat awesome moment.

I was surprised, he said it so matter of factly. He has a cool storyline.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, maybe a hoodie with an autographed litho or something. That site has saved me so much grief.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was never asked what type of game I wanted (action/narrative etc.) and I just got to the Citadel. Did I skip that by changing the difficulty before I started or something?

I'm enjoying the game so far despite being so unimpressed by the demo that I almost didn't buy the game at all. Choosing to be an adept instead of a boring old soldier helps a lot. Especially with mega level up points from the ME2 save.

Just wish I hadn't saved Kaiden in that save. :( Ashley is much easier on the eyes.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I already have a N7 hoodie (one of the originals) but I wouldn't say no to a Kaidan Alenko litho autographed by Raphael Sbarge. :swoon:

I'd settle for Garrus / Brandon Keener.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Am I at a big storyline disadvantage by starting a new save? I don't have any of my ME1 or 2 saves and am already about 6 hours in on a fresh one. Is it worth it to generate a save with the editor and import it?

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
Is there a way to enable cutscene skipping or fullscreen windowed mode yet? I'm really not that interested in watching the tedious loving intro and the same cutscenes for the fourth time when trying out another class. It won't even let me tab out without pausing the oh so important cutscene.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

whaam posted:

Am I at a big storyline disadvantage by starting a new save? I don't have any of my ME1 or 2 saves and am already about 6 hours in on a fresh one. Is it worth it to generate a save with the editor and import it?

Almost everyone is dead and replaced with a stuntman with half the dialogue. You get half as many emails, too.

Considering ME3 is a game that carries itself only by building on the previous plot and characters, yes, you want to import good choices.

ED: BTW, I also think this is a fault of the game, in that many times being an rear end in a top hat results on you missing out on extra content. That's not proper balance. Technically you can be renegade all you want in ME3 since there'll be no continuation, and are thus free to get everyone killed, but choices are very limited compared to the previous two titles and the game seemingly forces you to be paragon most of the time.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 7, 2012

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

whaam posted:

masseffect2saves.com

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

OAquinas posted:

It seems that way. Then again, this isn't a Bad Thing, considering in my ME2 replay last week it seems that all my squadmates (especially Mordin) seemed to enjoy traipsing across the battlefield completely exposed, usually dying in a fire.

Between "turtle" and "lemming" I'll gladly take the option that keeps their powers available without draining my medigel every mission.

Also: 138% recharge and upgraded throw is just hilarious against husks.
I've been playing on ME2 insanity and I just remedy with by telling them where to go. But they're always good about doing damage and putting lead downrange. Now, in M3, they won't even do that. They just cower behind cover, and if they do fire, it's at a REALLY slow rate - they pop up, fire a shot, get into cover again. It's maddening.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This. I just finished my insanity run as an infiltrator and the only thing I ever used my squadmates for was lifting husks and occasionally eating a shield or some armor. Garrus with a sniper is hilariously useless this time around, he fires a shot maybe twice a minute, thank god I can take most things down with my viper in two headshots.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've been playing on ME2 insanity and I just remedy with by telling them where to go. But they're always good about doing damage and putting lead downrange. Now, in M3, they won't even do that. They just cower behind cover, and if they do fire, it's at a REALLY slow rate - they pop up, fire a shot, get into cover again. It's maddening.

Just pick a damage class and kill everything. Just as ME2 was easier than ME1, ME3 is easier than both.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is there some sort of bug that resets your money, or does it cost money to die or something? Because i just lost like everything i had except for 10%.

I mean if its going to be like that then i have to replay a few hours to make sure i don't die to bullshit anymore. Also like spend everything in advance.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nephilm posted:

Just pick a damage class and kill everything. Just as ME2 was easier than ME1, ME3 is easier than both.
drat it. That's not the way I play. I really enjoyed the squad commanding aspect of ME2. It feels like a core feature was taken out. It's still fun, but I just can't play it the way I used to anymore.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Doniazade posted:

Is there a way to enable cutscene skipping or fullscreen windowed mode yet? I'm really not that interested in watching the tedious loving intro and the same cutscenes for the fourth time when trying out another class. It won't even let me tab out without pausing the oh so important cutscene.

Go to graphics settings and set it to Windowed (no border)?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Geth assault rifle owns so loving much :swoon:

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I just found some Geth, they can be very annoying.

edit: just found a useful one. :D

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 7, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

This is true. I'm actually a bit surprised at how well I'm cruising through this, considering I'm doing my first play with a completely unhinged Vanguard ABC'ing my way through Hardcore. My next run will be on insanity, but for the first one I more or less wanted to cruise, I guess. Didn't expect it would be this easy though.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

leidend posted:

I was never asked what type of game I wanted (action/narrative etc.) and I just got to the Citadel. Did I skip that by changing the difficulty before I started or something?

I'm enjoying the game so far despite being so unimpressed by the demo that I almost didn't buy the game at all. Choosing to be an adept instead of a boring old soldier helps a lot. Especially with mega level up points from the ME2 save.

Just wish I hadn't saved Kaiden in that save. :( Ashley is much easier on the eyes.

Pretty sure if you import a character from 2 it just assumes you want classic mode instead of action or story mode.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not seeing that at all on the PC. I was fighting brutes on Palavan's moon and my squad had no problems getting stuck in while I ran around looking for upgrades. I'd fire off incinerate & Vega's carnage for sweet explosions, but otherwise there was a lot of time where they were far away and fighting.

Also Liara does not hesitate to unload her SMG at the first sign of an enemy and won't stop until they're dead.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

JaundiceDave posted:

where the gently caress is the hades nexus. i swear it is not on the galaxy map. same thing for the silean nebula.

can someone answer this

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Lotish posted:

How badly does Fortification slow down your biotic charge?

The slowdown is a but confusing. I don't know whether it's supposed to slowdown cast time or cooldowns. If its cast time, the it straight up doesn't affect charge and nova.

If it is cooldown and if you have very little weight and other power reducing effects, it doesn't slow it down at all. My charge still comes up about 1 second after nova. I'm actually using three weapons as well and still have extremely quick cooldowns (because the weapons are all weightless thanks to my powers and mods).

Fortification is just so good. Virtually no cooldown for 25% damage reduction (30% if you don't want the melee damage bonus) and 20% damage and force. Then you can expend it for 100% melee damage bonus. Combined with other +melee from powers, bonuses, and weapons, this makes you melee for incredible amounts.

With this setup, I don't have to be that cautious on insanity like I was in 2. Other than a handful of situations, I've been able to just charge around and explode people with melee.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't actually played ME3 yet, but judging by the discussion in this thread (major Rannoch spoiler) the ME series hasn't really cast the Quarians in the most sympathetic light. It works better for me from a dramatic standpoint to force the choice of genociding the Quarians vs genociding the Geth and... you know what, gently caress the Quarians. The Geth weren't the ones who couldn't let sleeping dogs lie. Do the Quarians ever actually do anything to particularly redeem themselves or is it just "gently caress peaceful coexistence, kill every last Geth and take back our homeworld"? Yeah it kinda sucks that Tali's entire world crumbles around her (literally) and causes her to kill herself, but hey, that's war for you. Doing what makes your squeeze happy at the potential cost of billions of lives is a great way to get your entire side killed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ash1138 posted:

I'm not seeing that at all on the PC. I was fighting brutes on Palavan's moon and my squad had no problems getting stuck in while I ran around looking for upgrades. I'd fire off incinerate & Vega's carnage for sweet explosions, but otherwise there was a lot of time where they were far away and fighting.

Also Liara does not hesitate to unload her SMG at the first sign of an enemy and won't stop until they're dead.
See, I'm seeing a lot of opposing stories. It's confusing. Next time I play I'm going to hang back and watch how the squadmates handle themselves - maybe it's something in the way I play.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
What is going on with this bullshit. What origin fuckery must I carry out to import an old me2 save, exactly?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well, MightyApe just charged my card and the game's shipping today at NZ retailers.

I better get my Collector's Edition tomorrow, spending the weekend without the game would be loving unbearable. :gonk:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So I got a side mission to hit up a planet in the Krogan DMZ, but I can't find the system on the star map :( Does it unlock later or something?

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Stuck on top of a building on Eden Prime because the ladder is bugged out. Literally can't progress aurgheghhug Bioware

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is ME3 filled with decisions where you don't realize they're going to have momentous impact on the story, or get main characters killed, etc.? I've read something about timers for missions but are they really timers, or just missions that might get locked off if you progress the main story past a certain point?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Rotten Red Rod posted:

See, I'm seeing a lot of opposing stories. It's confusing. Next time I play I'm going to hang back and watch how the squadmates handle themselves - maybe it's something in the way I play.

Is squad AI depend on what class you are? I play infiltratior, and my squad (vega, liara) is always up in everyone's business.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

I haven't actually played ME3 yet, but judging by the discussion in this thread (major Rannoch spoiler) the ME series hasn't really cast the Quarians in the most sympathetic light. It works better for me from a dramatic standpoint to force the choice of genociding the Quarians vs genociding the Geth and... you know what, gently caress the Quarians. The Geth weren't the ones who couldn't let sleeping dogs lie. Do the Quarians ever actually do anything to particularly redeem themselves or is it just "gently caress peaceful coexistence, kill every last Geth and take back our homeworld"? Yeah it kinda sucks that Tali's entire world crumbles around her (literally) and causes her to kill herself, but hey, that's war for you. Doing what makes your squeeze happy at the potential cost of billions of lives is a great way to get your entire side killed.

Actually it really hammers home that the quarians did some really awful and lovely things to the geth and their own people during the Morning War. Taking everything into account it's pretty hard to even side with the Quarians at all especially since they blew up their Dyson Sphere and killed an absolute shitload of Geth in an unprovoked attack. It also sheds a little more insight on Legions origins It's highly likely one of his platforms was the very first Geth to take up arms against the Quarians. He still utilizes the same sniper rifle and gets weird when you ask him about it just like the N7 armor

tl;dr gently caress the quarians and the horse they rode on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

nuncle jimbo posted:

What is going on with this bullshit. What origin fuckery must I carry out to import an old me2 save, exactly?

Shouldn't have to do any. Sure the save is in the right place?

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Got home from work and found my copy arrived in the post today in the UK despite the game not being out until Friday. Yay.

I cannot for the life of me find the activation code that Origin is asking for. I don't have a collectors edition or anything fancy, my e-mail account has nothing, theres no instruction manual or anything in the dvd case besides the 2 installation disks.

Could someone who has a physical copy of the plain standard edition say where their code is located? This is driving me insane.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

leidend posted:

If you import, it defaults to RPG mode, I believe.

efb. by losonti tokash

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm breaking my Soldier streak to try Vanguard, since apparently goons love it. Here's to hoping I have no regrets.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kavak posted:

I have the feeling the very, very end was the absolute last thing done in the game, or it was changed around at the last minute. IIRC In the script leak, Control didn't destroy the relays or kill Shepard, nor did Merge (Which didn't fuse everybody, just Shepherd with Helios the Reaper Core.

Yeah I agree. The encounter with TIM was pretty well fleshed out, but the ending is just thrown at you. And it's kinda obvious they stitched some stuff together. Like why is the Normandy running away from the shockwave when it's in the middle of battle over Earth? I'm the last person to give a poo poo about little continuity errors but that seems pretty brazen.

Now that I look back at the possible endings, I guess I got the "best" endings, with the synthesis and destroying the Reapers with Shepard surviving.

Bolow posted:

Actually it really hammers home that the quarians did some really awful and lovely things to the geth and their own people during the Morning War.

The geth history and resulting negotiations can be the most :smith: things ever. The whole sequence is really well done. The game is kinda patchy, I guess. There are some fantastic bits and then there are some bits that needed some more content/context/fixing. I wonder why they removed so many dialogue options at the beginning (I thought it was just poor sound editing with the 2 second delay between dialogue lines until someone pointed out that's what it was.)

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 7, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

rock2much posted:

I'm breaking my Soldier streak to try Vanguard, since apparently goons love it. Here's to hoping I have no regrets.

Oh God you're going to have so much fun. Be sure to spec points into Charge and Nova, maybe one point into Pull to handle Guardians. Travel light, charge is your most important weapon and it has to refresh as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

rock2much posted:

There are none when you are a Vanguard. :clint:

• Locked thread