Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What... is this thread title??

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Dan Didio posted:

Please change the title to "Looks like you fuckers invaded the Wong planet", thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ravana posted:

You are a monster if you cannot understand the glorious martyring of the Holy Lady of the Vanguards.

"For justice! For peace! For Emily! We have come home!" - John J. Shepard.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"We live for the Wong, we die for the Wong."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

So, if anyone's thinking of attending the midnight launch in Melbourne at Swanston Street, keep an eye out for me. I'll be in the N7 hoodie with renegade scars all over my face. Shaving my head is still up for debate. It'd be great to see any of you guys there - it's been an epic journey!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Download the club music from Mass Effect 2 and blare it through a boombox while dancing feebly in that Shepard way.

It's like you read my mind. But I'd probably have to go with the awesome tunes from Flux.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

It's making the rounds on Twitter that we first meet Emily Wong as she's doing a story on dangerous air traffic control situations, and then dies in a dangerous air traffic situation.

Nice.

Show some respect. She crashed her skyvan into a Reaper like a true war hero. :patriot:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ObesePriest posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but you can get a free in-game weapon at alienware arena. You just need an account.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/mass-effect-3-giveaway

still 7000 keys left.

M90 Indra Sniper Rifle

Is the weapon you get.

PC-only codes by the sounds of it. That sucks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hahaha, the DLC character's line about the Salarians. "...they used to eat flies." The tone of it absolutely makes it.

Game is fantastic. Too bad I have to go to work!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Whoa, that's cool. I am going to have to go there.

Oh, is there a place that will always be safe to get fuel? There seems to be a lot of systems devoid of fuel depots, and if reapers are in a system, there is no depot available.

It's almost as if the Reapers destroy infrastructure.

I really haven't noticed the lack of dialogue choices. Now the choices feel like decent choices where Shepard could actually go either way. I didn't need to decide literally everything Shepard would say. I've never felt as if I've been 'cheated' out of a dialogue choice, or there was a spot where I wish I could've butted in or made Shepard do something different.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

Tuchanka: Okay, I jumped out of my seat cheering when Kalros tackled that loving reaper and dragged it under the earth, so god damned awesome. Then I actually choked up a bit at Mordin, curing the Krogan and singing his little song, so many great moments in this game so far, loving hell.

Mordin didn't sing in my version of that. I feel kind of cheated. :smith:

Also, some major stuff just happened at the Citadel with the Salarian Councilor. When do I get Tali back on the crew? It feels like I've gone pretty far in the game. It would've been nice to see Shepard contact/try to contact her or have him ask Hackett and have Hackett say 'No messages getting through to the Migrant Fleet, sorry Shepard' or something like that. I get that no one seems to know where the fleet is, but it kind of sucks that Shepard doesn't seem to care. In ME2 it was great that you could ask TIM about your squad mates early on.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yeah, the IGN walkthrough is pretty bad, but it was the only one available at that point so it wasn't like there was much choice.

I wonder why they made these items so hard to see in ME3. Hell, in ME2 you could see every box of refined paladium or whatever from a mile away, now you pretty much need to scour every inch of the map.

Because people complained about how bright and obvious the markers were. I thought they were great because in ME3 I feel like I'm probably missing things.

Also, the particle beam is hideously broken. It's easy-mode, especially if you add the additional ammo upgrades - and then put AP ammo powers on it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

gently caress, Javik sends the best emails. You can just imagine him sitting there, typing with a huge :stare: sort of expression on his face.

Also, Tali's From Ashes outfit is certainly different from her usual fare.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Just finished it. What the gently caress was that ending, Bioware? How could it be so amazing until literally the last ten minutes? How could they so utterly mess it up?

I'm heading over to the spoiler thread. God, the game should have ended on Anderson and Shepard looking out over Earth, after telling that loving kid to get hosed and leave the galaxy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

LibbyM posted:

It's not so much that I feel I am entitled to the ending I want, just any ending that isn't 100% bs.

Part of me thinks the hallucination theory, the idea that Harbinger is basically trying to trick Shepard into controlling or synthesing with the Reapers (Saren's plan in ME1 was literally Synthesis), is incredible. None of it actually happens. I'm happy with that theory. The 'perfect' end is Shepard waking up in the aftermath of Harbinger's strike on Hammer.

Then I realise that if that's the ending then absolutely nothing is actually resolved and I loop around to hating the ending again. And it makes the conversations with TIM and Anderson absolutely meaningless.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Has the thread seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzHqQbz78-s

It's surprisingly good!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

precision posted:

I'm going to assume sarcasm because that is utterly terrible.

Well, misery loves company and if I said it was bad then no one would watch it, so... :colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

Though speaking of the Leviathan DLC, has there been anything released as to numbers sold since we were all debating how well it'd sell in light of how the ending fiasco went?

For what it's worth, no one in my circle of friends has purchased Leviathan. Neither have I. That's half a dozen people who purchased every bit of DLC for Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cheap Vodka posted:

Mass Effect trilogy box set just got announced, coming to 360/PS3/PC. PS3 owners will finally know the joy of driving the Mako. :getin:

Is anyone actually going to buy this? :psyduck:

And N7 day... really? :shepface:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the band aided beam run sequence would have worked a little better if it was Cortez's shuttle that made the pick up instead of the rather sizable Normandy that Harbinger just ignores for some reason even though he was sniping individual infantry and tanks a few seconds earlier (plus he knows that the Normandy is Shepard's ship). However they decided to kill Cortez off/ground the shuttle earlier in the mission so that wasn't an option.

Hate to break it to you, Doc, but Harbinger - as he is depicted in ME2 - no longer exists in the third game. He is no longer sentient. He was reduced to a drone warship in the service of an AI. I made a significant post in the other thread that broke down the changes that Bioware made to the Reapers and I'll go find it. Suffice to say, they are a completely different enemy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

I don't think being in the service of the reaper overmind precludes each reaper being individually conscious. Indeed being able to have a conversation with the reaper on Rannoch ('Shepard... Harbinger spoke of you') suggests all the reapers, though united to a common cause, had individual consciousness and knowledge.

And yet can be turned off or controlled with a thought, by anyone who happens to reach the top of the Citadel. And yet fail to display any personality beyond that single line, especially when compared to the previous two games. And yet the Crucible talks about them like tools, referring to them as nothing more than a 'solution' and discusses them like simple objects and not the sentient machines they once were. And yet Sovereign called himself, and all Reapers, 'each a nation, independent, free of all weakness'. They're almost certainly not sentient, they lack any sort of freewill, and are literally nothing more than intimidating starship-squids.

That line is nothing more than a shoehorned in piece of dialog to try and maintain the existing perception of the Reapers. And, admittedly, it is a cool bit of dialog! But then the game continues, Harbinger fails to appear, and you realise that something has changed.

See, the concept of the Catalyst controlling the Reapers introduces so many problems and plot holes into the Mass Effect narrative. The first should be obvious - if the Catalyst exists, if it can monitor things by itself, if it is based in the Citadel - why even bother with a vanguard Reaper? If the Catalyst can't activate the Relay remotely, then it's a pretty convuluted system to ensure that your vital, life-preserving purge continues every fifty thousand years by relying on something that could be - and is - destroyed. It introduces unnecessary questions - just how much control was the Catalyst exerting? Could it reach them all the way out in Dark Space? Is it a transmission? If so, wouldn't the Citadel be giving off a lot of odd readings? How could no one track this method of control? Could the Reapers break free of this, given their forceful personalities? If not, why not? If the Catalyst only provides a 'common cause', why does it talk about them how it does? Are the Reapers themselves aware of this? If so, why does Sovereign call itself independent, why does it call the Reapers 'each a nation'? Is it bluster? But why would Sovereign, given what we know from ME3, act like that? If they're not aware of this, then how come there is no option to tell them this? After all, you could probably make an interesting ending out of telling Harbinger that he's been enthralled by a genocidal AI for the past million years. What, exactly, does adding the Catalyst and its puppetmastery to the climax of the trilogy add beyond creating needless speculation?

Compare the Catalyst and its Reapers to the Overmind and its Cerebrates.

You know, and given that Mass Effect is a universe where non-sentient VI programs can recognise tone of voice, appearance and have what seem like personalities (Vigil, for one), I'm unsure as to why you think that having the capability to hold a conversation proves otherwise.

quote:

You know why they shuffled Harbinger off to the side? Because the Catalyst, and how it talks about the Reapers, precludes them from having personalities. They're not even sentient. They're glorified processing facilities. They are tools. And something like that, something wholly under the whim of a glowing child, cannot have a personality. It cannot be a smug jerk like Sovereign. It cannot view ascension as a religious experience like Harbinger. It can't show up to sass Shepard in Arrival and act as if it has been personally slighted.

It's also possibly a reason for Harbinger not shooting at the Normandy. Harbinger doesn't have a personality now - he's just a drone. Star Child told him to shoot at ground forces and he does. The Normandy, as a concept, is irrelevant to him because he no longer has the mental faculties to think on his own.

While it's probably due to engine limitations, you could very easily argue that the Reapers all look identical because of this idea. Bioware wanted to jettison the idea of the Reapers being separate entities with their own personalities. It's why Harbinger barely shows up - not because new players would be confused (how would they be confused by something as simple as him? Were they confused in ME2?) - but because they wanted to alter the basic idea of what the Reapers are/were.

Harbinger should have been the Reaper King (for lack of a better term). The Reapers should still have had their unique hulls, their unique viewpoints. Harbinger should have been goading and taunting Shepard from the fall of Earth to the end of the game. The game should have ended with Harbinger's defeat and the destruction of the Reapers.

Instead, Bioware wanted a 'morally grey' antagonist with a fleet of unstoppable dumb-AI starships to push their new primary theme of 'organics versus synthetics' - despite the fact the previous two games had said otherwise.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 5, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

magimix posted:

More people need to post in this thread :argh:

Mass Effect, as a series, is dead to most people at this point, Magimix.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's pretty much the Fade portion from DA:O again. Great to play through once, but then it is a bit of a slog.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Has this been posted yet? It got a chuckle out of me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwT1h31bOjo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Hah, that's awesome. Maybe it's the big, dumb Lizard part of my brain, but it's nice to see that Meer and Hale genuinely enjoy the character and series, especially Hale given how much work she's done in this field.

On a similar note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYT66ALUUss

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Unfortunately I'm not reinstalling ME3 just to play the last three dlc I've ignored because of the horrible ending (citadel, leviathan, omega or whatever)

Leviathan and Omega are pretty poor - each for different reasons. Citadel, however, is legitimately great and is a fantastic epilogue/true ending for the trilogy.

And this is me saying this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

precision posted:

Make sure to take note of how many lines there are that actually do hint at the ending of the trilogy and the explanation for "why the Reapers reap".

I'm not saying it makes the endings better, or that it was totally intentional, but in retrospect there are some very explicit hints dropped. Particularly when Tali says that the Geth, being synthetic, have no use for any organic life, ever, and want to wipe it all out.

Tali, who is also an incredible anti-synthetic racist during the events of ME1, and is proven wrong by Legion in ME2, whose growth as a character comes from turning away from her anti-synthetic beliefs?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That is a thing of beauty.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

NwahNerevar posted:

So creepy, Bioware even went so far to reference it/call the arch-spergs out in the Citadel DLC.

Holy... They got all the weird Talimancer references there: "No, that gets handled by my suit! Those are just my hips!" "Don't do that in my helmet, it just gunks up the filters!" :staredog:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Alteisen posted:

But why all the weird discrepancies in how everything looks?

Because people would buy it anyways?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It might look good if it didn't have that fake reflective sheen on it.

Might.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

This era of harmonious thread unity makes me afraid and nervous. Someone needs to say the endings were good so we can devolve back into sectarian violence. :ohdear:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Like, the bit in the original ending when the Normandy fails to outrun the relay blast is so effective because everything in you completely expects the Normandy to outrun it, so when it doesn't, it's legitimately upsetting, reflected by the triumphant-to-shocking music in the soundtrack. It's a pitch-perfect subversion of audience expectations.

One of the few actually-good parts of the ending sequence, providing you remove it from any context. The EC change to it is so dumb.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tremors posted:

So how about that Kaidan comic. :stare:

I cannot stop looking at these images, holy poo poo. :stare:

edit: It's like every single person is melting and those three in the background have all become joined - quite literally - at the hip. I guess Kaidan got some banging hot re-constructive surgery?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 2, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mass Effect 3 makes perfect sense when you realise it's only a sequel to Mass Effect 2 and acts as if much of the first Mass Effect never happened.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

I have no idea what the long-term effect will be on the series' popularity, but it's not the idea launching point.

I know half a dozen people who all attended the Mass Effect 3 midnight launch in Melbourne.

They have no interest in the series any more. Neither do I, really.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

I can only speak from what I know -- the people I convinced to buy the series are pretty down on it.

Out of curiosity, did they buy teh series before or after the ending debacle? I think people who went into it, knowing that it wasn't a good ending, would be fine with more games. I think it's the long-term fans - like the half dozen I mentioned - who aren't interested.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

Wow. The janky animations and models in ME3 are a slap in the face after cruising right in from ME2.

I just do NOT understand what the hell happened here. I was basically laughing at Anderson and Shepard running around the catwalks and debris of earth. Also the lip synching is way worse. It's just really, really ponderous how this happened. Why not just use the same damned systems from ME2, what are you doing!?

Have you encountered any of the weird points where bits and pieces of talking were obviously cut out of dialogue sequences?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

quote:

"The second new race was described as "Ancient, Advanced, and Guardian". They had a similar color scheme to reapers and they looked like classic fantasy/sci-fi golems. Sleek rocky or metallic bodies with bright glowing lines flowing all over them. Some had fragmented pieces and shattered bits floating in place around them."

1. It sure was nice of these guys to sit out of the Reaper War.

2. Another ancient, advanced Reaper-esque species. Game's gonna be poo poo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

"The game will be poo poo because of the plot hole I literally just invented in my brain right now. gently caress Bioware."

Buddy, if you can't see the problems of describing a race with those three adjectives who were also absent from the literal apocalypse then, welp, almost any of those adjectives lose their meaning. They're either not ancient (since the Reapers would've culled them), not advanced (because the Reapers cull intelligent, advanced life) or lovely guardians (who sat out of the Reaper apocalypse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hampig posted:

I've just come to this franchise late, and yeah the difference is staggering. I love Action RPGs, but I don't get why the RPG crowd gets hung up on things like inventory tetris or lock-opening minigames that completely ruin the flow of gameplay.

Also, I don't know whether this is opening a can of worms, but having just played through the trilogy back to back, I can't say I understand what all the fuss about ME3's ending was about. Perhaps it's because I had the advantage of having Leviathan+Extended Cut+Synthesis-

'Perhaps it's because I had the DLC that was released to make the ending better...'

:allears:

quote:

Shame they couldn't get it together for release because the 'big picture' mythology behind the reapers is alright as it stands right now.

Really? You should probably explain it then.

• Locked thread