Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Daemonite posted:

This is the entire game. The entire game is literally enemies respawning right in front of and possibly behind you on a generic rocky planetside or, if you're lucky, in a generic space hallway.
This is literally every videogame ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Or maybe the game really is good and you goons who are dying to hate on the game (and are already doing it by spoilering everything without seeing context) cant stand being wrong?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Some more reviews:

The verge 10/10

Giant Bomb 4/5

1up A

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I have to thank whoever posted that very good looking face + code in the previous thread, made a few tweaks and my Femshep looks awesome now. :c00l:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Well the review sites are about as useful as gently caress-all, for the reasons bloodychill mentioned above. So, to the goons who've already started playing, how's the game looking so far?
I loved ME2 and this is ME2, but even better so far. :swoon: But im really easy to please, i just want to charge stuff all day and shoot poo poo with Garrus and Wrex. :allears:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

kri kri posted:

How do I holster my weapon on PC?
You cant.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Seems 2 out of 3 missions for Aria are broken for me. :(

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The game is a lot harder than ME2 was on Insanity. I must have died like 30 times already, and im maybe 5 hours in. The vanguard way of life. :shepface:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

I was trying to figure out why it was taking me forever to charge.

Then I looked at my charge recharge time and it was something like 22 seconds :(

What is the better spec - 100% shields or 25% free charge?
Drop all your weapons except a pistol or perhaps a shotgun. The more weapons you carry the longer your powers take to recharge.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Stupid parts where there are like 5 or 6 engineers and turrets everywhere. :negative:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Kronikle posted:

Well, I realize the Soldier, Adept, and Engineer might have a lot of crossover, but have there actually been any companions that have fulfilled the Sentinel, Infiltrator, or Vanguard roles?
I was so disappointed when Jack didnt have Charge in ME2, especially after that awesome cutscene of her breaking out of prison. :(

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

Is it just me or are the mission dossiers really, frustratingly vague? I'm not an idiot and I had no problem getting 100% complete on ME1 and 2 but I just find identifying/completing missions to be unnecessarily complex (mostly because I have no idea where the gently caress to go).
No, its my biggest problem as well. It wouldnt be so bad if the journal updated after completing a step.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Nope, Shep actually doesn't do that if you didn't play Arrival - a group of Alliance marines handles the Alpha Relay problem instead. You can learn this from the War Assets screen.

I have a feeling I'm going to be explaining this a lot :spergin:
Ah, that makes more sense. I was thinking that another team did the same as Shepard, but i guess i forgot to do Arrival in my imported save. :v:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Has tech armor been nerfed, then? It was really the only reason to ever play sentinel.
You have to explode the armour yourself now.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Great Enoch posted:

Does anybody know if region locking can be circumvented by proxy on origin and if they allow it as steam does?

Sorry if this has been asked before. A quick search/scan read of the thread didn't flag up anything.
Yeah, you can do it. Its how a lot of people unlocked the game on monday.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Deep Space Hitler posted:

Without spoilers how much is not playing any of the me2 dlc going to effect my experience in this game. I dont feel like going back and playing them but if they're a bit part I might do it before I'm balls deep in me3
If you dont already have the DLC, only buy Lairs of the Shadow Broker, which is awesome from beginning to end, and just read the stories of the rest.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

That Javik is quite the rear end. I dont like him, he doesnt seem to have anything to sympathize with.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I think it comes to a point right now where that for some people, Bioware can't do anything right. I think the complaint is stupid myself, but I think the internet echo chamber is just unnecessarily loud right now.
Yeah, this is it. The game is really great and a great step forward for storytelling in games. No, it is not perfect, but it does so much more right than wrong that all the hate it gets over things like a stock photo is just hilarious. But nerds gotta be nerds so hey.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

doo doo thief posted:

We're in a bad place if objectively unoriginal and linear equates to a great step forward for video game storytelling.
Your life must be so boring if you dislike anything that isnt original.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

There's a difference between liking something or not versus claiming it's a bold step forward for an entire industry, you know.
Sorry that my opinion is different from yours. Please tell me what the correct opinion to have is.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Actually I'd say the story telling for the entire Mass Effect series has been a great step forward for video games. It's just that the story being told is unoriginal and just not all that good.
Which is what i said. The story is what you expect from a videogame. No, its no War & peace, but its also not as bad as some people here want to make it to be.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

WMain00 posted:

I've found a bit of a problem that is annoying me with this game.

The quest tracker doesn't seem to update on new details. It just leaves you guessing. For instance i'm doing some of the citadel quests and it isn't stepping me through what i'm supposed to do next.
Are you stuck on the Hanar mission by chance?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

WMain00 posted:

Yes! And also the turian general in the commons, whose name I've forgot.
I think the Hanar mission is bugged, seen a lot of people ask about it and im stuck on it myself as well. The turian general can be solved by speaking to a merchant in the Presidium and finding some items through scanning.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

white house negro posted:

I think this breaks if you leave the citadel before you finish it.
Yeah,i think this happened with me.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you modify the coelesed.ini is there an editor somewhere?

http://wenchy.net/me3-coalesced-utility

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I really love it that you can walk in on Garrus or Liara and they are having a little conversation with someone else. And all the little talks all around the citadel and such. Makes the world feel much more alive.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about that? We're talking about the dialogue wheel allowing player characterization - it was one of the big selling points of the original, carried on to the sequel, and it performed its function well regardless of its actual plot impact. Now for ME3 Bioware decided to go the Metal Gear Solid route with long cutscene where you have little to no chance of characterization.

So you spend the first two games developing the player character in a way to your liking and then suddenly, on the third game, the personality is chosen for you and you also get PTSD from watching a pure white child die. gently caress you Bioware.
This is a really dumb post. Especially the spoilered part. But hey, gotta be acting like you just followed racism 101, because thats the thing the cool kids do these days.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Romes128 posted:

The AI seems a lot better than ME2. I'm getting grenades thrown at me while being outflanked. Although I get the occasional guy standing up out of cover for no reason.

I also like that all the weapon upgrades can be bought, as well as found. But there needs to be some way of knowing if you already found an upgrade so you don't buy it again.
If you find an upgrade again it improves. It turns from Sniper Rifle Ammo I to II.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Tell her to change her identity the first time you see her.
I dont think i ever had that option? :smith:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Archer2338 posted:

What the hell is with the council? Since it's not a real spoiler thing: Why the hell is Udina still the human counselor? I made Anderson the counselor in ME1, so why is Udina the one on the council now?
Read the codex.

nuncle jimbo posted:

Do we know how to change the FOV on PC yet?
http://widescreengamingforum.com/comment/242894

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

SyRauk posted:

"Would have liked to run tests on the seashells." :gbsmith:
It helps if you give some indication of what the spoiler is about.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

What i meant was that a completely black line is not really helpful because it can be about the first hour of the game or the ending. So it would be nice if it was "On Tuchanka <blablabla>".

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

nwin posted:

3) I'm a solider right now, but there's so many other builds that look really loving cool. Is there any way to respec to a different class, or am I hosed unless I restart?
You can respec your class, but you cant change to another class.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I gave up and rebuilt my Shepard since importing doesn't work as advertised. The first forty minutes I played was pretty disappointing:

1. Facial animations and lipsynching are poor. What happened? It's painful to watch cut scenes when the body animations seem to work but the faces are out of sync. Because of this the cutscenes make characters look like dead-eyed robots.

2. Lighting looks like Gears of War. Everyone has the skin of a bad patch of road. ME1 and ME 2 had a particular look with the way they used lighting and now it's so harsh people look freaky.

3. I can't holster my weapon. Am I really going to spend the entire game running around looking down the barrel of my gun like I'm piloting a tank? Mass Effect has wonderful environments and now I'm forced to experience it through a toilet paper tube. It's claustrophobic and frustrating. I'm constantly wanting to zoom out so I can see more around me.

I know everyone else loves this game but I feel like the Mass Effect touch is absent, like they picked up the art assets and voice actors but abandoned everything else. I am bummed.

Keep playing, the beginning is the weakest part (well, except for maybe the end, but i havent seen it yet).

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

To remind you that ultimately you're fighting to save Earth and not all these other planets? v:shobon:v

They should have shown it in a brief cutscene though instead of making you play it. That was a bad move.
Yeah, they show so much through cutscenes, but that they decide to let you play? :psyduck:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Rincewind posted:

I just beat the game. I had already warmed up to the ending in spoiler form, but the execution of it was amazing. I guess this is going to be like the BSG ending all over again, where I repeatedly get into internet arguments about how no, really, this ending really is the culmination of themes explored throughout the rest of the series.
No, it isnt. It makes absolutely no sense. Not only would destroying the relays destroy every solar system a relay was in (so Earth and the combined fleets would, regardless of the chosen ending, be destroyed), it is a terrible ending because it gives no closure. And thats ignoring the dumbass thing with the Normandy flying through a relay with the people in your squad, which should have been killed by that reaper attack, while the normandy should have been on Earth or fighting Reaoers.

And i say this as someone who liked the BSG ending.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

My ending is Vanguard Shepard pushing the Reaper selfdestruct button and settling on some planet, having lots of little blue biotic children who will grow up to charge mechs and headbutt krogans around the universe. :3: Much better than what we got.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

This, only Shep and Garrus fly off into the sunset to help rebuild the galaxy and snipe bad guys.
I prefer to think that Garrus and Tali settle on the Quarian world, calibrating stuff all day together. :3:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Drake Bate posted:

Okay, this is now my head cannon
spoilers obviously
This is so much better. ALl it misses is something like Fallout 3 endings, where you see the consequences of your decisions and how your squad mates end up and nobody would have complained about the ending like they do now.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

They didn't focus group it, I imagine. It's an example of the developers expecting one thing from their game and the audience expecting another. For the devs, the main theme was sacrifice. A lot of background choices mirror that theme. They tried to tailor the experience towards it.

For the audience, however, the game was about succeeding at the impossible dream. For most of them, even a suicide mission ended with all hands alive. They never had to sacrifice anything important to them, so the things that represented sacrifice (the choice at the end of ME1, the choice on Virmire) had little impact. The ending felt inappropriate because the game everyone played was thematically different from the game Bioware wanted to make.
Perhaps, but that doesnt excuse the terrible ending. I think most people are fine with consequences and not being able to save everybody and everything. ME1 & ME2 got criticized for lacking that for the most part, except the suicide mission of course. But sacrifice must mean something, and the endings lacked any meaning at all. The strange thing is that the main game does have such choices and sacrifices and they work pretty well in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

A collection of particularly choice user review comments from the Mass Effect 3 Metacritic "bomb": http://trendygamers.com/2012/03/10/mass-effect-3-metacritics-helpful-user-reviews/
That last review would have been funny if it had stopped after the first sentence.

• Locked thread