Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
I was a huge fan of ME1 and 2, and I'm astonished by how bad this game is. Or at least, by how everything seems to be a big step back from ME2.

First of all, combat: it still feels incredibly clunky and playing on Insanity is frustrating and dumb. Enemies always magically know where you are and instantly shoot you (ignoring the rest of your team most of the times), throw grenades with unrealistic precision, and everything feels cheap as poo poo. Half of the times you'll die because for whatever reason Bioware still thinks using the spacebar to:

Get into cover
Run
Roll out of cover
Roll generally
Revive allies

is a smart design decision. Because it's not like we have a loving keyboard at our disposal. Also, yeah, enjoy your loving Vanguard still whiffing charge randomly and getting you killed. They didn't think it was worth fixing it after ME2? I'm speechless.

Story? Oh please. Everything looks and feels like Independence Day. Writing is terrible ("We fight or we die" - seriously?) and all kinds of heavy handed messages will hit you on the head: the kid dying in the first 20 minutes of gameplay was an embarassing moment story-wise (oh look we'll just throw this kid in to kill him after 10 minutes, look at how evile the Reapers are), generic "marines" rhetoric is all over the place and even your party members seem to be less interesting than in ME2.

Gameplay is horrifying. Resource gathering wasn't perfect in ME2, but this time you just launch your probe, collect some generic poo poo you never even see an image of, and give it to generic dude number 14 in the Citadel. Welcome to ME3 sidequests! They never even feel the need to introduce you to dude number 14, you just overhear his conversation, and then give him whatever stupid artifact he wants. Who does that, even in videogames? If you stop to think about it, Commander Shepard is pretty loving creepy.

I probably don't even need to mention the small tag game you play with the Reaper ships around the galaxy, I don't think they could've come up with anything more stupid and immersion-breaking.

Graphics: nope. They are blander than in ME2, the Citadel is smaller and looks like poo poo now, the first main mission sends you on a loving rock, most side missions are in generic futuristic compounds looking samey.

Also, bugs! A lot of them! The mission where you "recruit" Kasumi crapped out on me and now I can't complete it. Another couple of side missions are hosed forever, you get stuck in poo poo, environments are glitchy, etc.

Luckily I haven't finished the game yet, I'll wait for the patch. If the ending is as crappy as the rest of the game I'll pretend the franchise ended with ME2 and ignore this piece of poo poo was ever released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

MadRhetoric posted:

Especially considering you think ME1 had good gameplay

I don't know where you read that.

Anyway, for its time, ME1 action kind of worked. Seeing the same bullshit almost 5 years later is inexcusable.

Paino fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 21, 2012

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Party Plane Jones posted:

Insanity in ME3 switched back from ME2's level of "Hard, but doable and fun." to ME1 "You will want to kill yourself because of how hard this is."

Yep.

And you die too often for stupid poo poo like whiffing charge or clunky controls. It's not that difficult per se, it's that enemies are cheap and the gunplay just isn't good enough.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Andrast posted:

It really isn't that hard. I played my first game with an engineer on insanity and, aside from a few spots, it was far too easy for me.

Try Vanguard, sometimes your main power doesn't even work. Makes for some interesting gunplay :(

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Do ME3 side missions only involve collecting stupid artifacts from planets and killing hordes of Cerberus dudes in sepia-toned/rocky desolate planets?

This game is the DA2 of Mass Effects, and it makes me so sad.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And it doesn't suffer from recycled environments either.

I'm sorry? It's like they have 2-3 planet templates and roll with those.

Sepia-toned, rocky planets, grey-white indoors.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
You may want to add a little heads up for the Eden Prime sidequest in the OP, since the info for the resistance movement is loving impossible to find and if you don't find it the first time you can't land on Eden EVER again because Bioware decided JRPG game design is cool.

So you will lose the war asset, the quest will never be marked as failed in your journal (confusing as gently caress), and you will probably wonder why you have bought the DLC if you can never revisit THE CONTENT YOU JUST PAID FOR.

I will say it again: the user score on Metacritic is very accurate for ME3, this is the DA2 of Mass Effects, by far the weaker of the trilogy, and no amount of fanboyism will be able to deny that this is a rushed game.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Couldn't the same thing happen in previous games?

It never happened to me in any other ME3, but unimportant missable poo poo is one thing, missable poo poo that means you won't be as ready to face THE END OF THE WORLD because Bioware decided you can't replay a content you just paid for is another.

This is the same game that has the Kasumi quest (one of the main characters, no less) completely broken if you leave the citadel before completing it. And they haven't fixed it yet, they were busier shelling out day 1 DLCs.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Paino posted:

This is the same game that has the Kasumi quest (one of the main characters, no less) completely broken if you leave the citadel before completing it. And they haven't fixed it yet, they were busier shelling out day 1 DLCs.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The previous games have had bugged quests too, every RPG I can think of does. It's not a good thing, but it's not a new thing either.

I love Mass Effect in general and I'm not happy about all the issues I'm experiencing with this rushed piece of crap, but let me make yet another example of its horrible design decisions.

I'm on Benning and I've just died in a fight. I can't remember whether or not the game has autosaved after I collected the dogtags for the ambassador, and I have no way to know it. Literally. I was in a gunfight and I stumbled on them by chance: they don't have any recognizable icon, you don't have an inventory so tough luck, they don't appear in either the codex or the journal, and the quest doesn't even get updated after you collect them.

This, in a game that is supposed to be the quintessential western action-rpg.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
So, I decided to finish a couple of side missions by reporting them in to some random Citadel dudes and I get involved in a Cerberus clusterfuck. Meanwhile, there's still a bomb I have to defuse.

I say to myself, ok, the game won't be so stupid to let the bomb explode since it FORCES me to land on the Citadel. Quest isn't greyed out. I finish the Cerberus clusterfuck quest, I check again, my journal is still intact. So I think oh well maybe I was a bit too harsh in criticizing this piece of poo poo of a rushed game, side missions aren't so badly conceived after all. I'll do it as soon as I leave the Citadel, let me just overhear dozens of conversations and play the creepy Shepard. A lot of character drama and poo poo happens at the same time.

Time to leave the Cita- WAR ASSET: MASSIVE EXPLOSION

Yay! 3 hours of gameplay down the drain. Not only this game has timed side-quests which is a horrifying concept in itself, its horrible design decisions ambush you. This is a loving ambush. Why don't you grey the quest out immediately. Why don't you warn me BEFORE. WHY WHY WHY

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Hank Morgan posted:

Just live with it. You made a bad decision and now there are consequences. It's all part of the appeal of the game.

No it's not. It's retarded game design, and Bioware deserves all the flak it got, horrible metacritic average included, because this is the DA2 of Mass Effects.

No one would want a massive bomb to explode on a friendly planet if you're playing Paragon, and I bet even 99.9% of Renegade players would've reloaded a previous save. This bullshit of locking you out of planets randomly and timed sidequests has reached JRPG levels of idiocy. This design decision only makes you waste time, and it's loving useless.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Hank Morgan posted:

The bomb went off because you felt it was a better use of your time to deliver a power unit to a nightclub rather than defuse a bomb that threatens the safety of your allies.

No the bomb went off because I was afraid bad design decisions would bite me in the rear end in the first place. I didn't want to get locked out of small side-quests so I tried to report them first because I got them way before the bomb news.

Riddle me this: why can't I land on Eden Prime again to complete its side-quest? Again, DLC I paid for, stupid design decisions lock me out of it and make me lose a war asset.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Elysiume posted:

Priority means story. It's the same as when you find out which hallway is the correct one and then go down every single other one first.

Yes, works like that in every RPG. Rational (modern) design keeps all the other hallways available even after you went down the main one, because missing random poo poo for no reason is stupid.

ME3 has no such thing.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Sentinel Red posted:

It's always hilarious when hysterical retards hit points in games that scream YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS SOON IF NOT RIGHT loving NOW, ignore it for ages then cry about it like pathetic babies when the game rightly kicks them in the balls for it.

You may want to read the thread a bit more attentively and stop being a silly muppet.

Games have thousands of supposedly super-urgent quests to do that you can postpone to infinity, and usually the opposite of what you're saying is true, i.e. if you actually do the urgent poo poo first (usually pertaining to the main quest) you get screwed and lose all the sweet sweet extras you could've got by doing stupid, unimportant tasks.

This is true even in ME3, since advancing too much with the main quest (basically preventing the end of the world from happen, so yeah, urgent) will lock you out of the Citadel and gently caress you up. Leaving the Citadel to do something more "urgent" will break Kasumi's quest forever if you've already started it. Eden Prime's quest is also broken in the same way.

Some poster here already said that in RPGs you basically have to understand which is the "correct" path, avoid it like the plague, get sidetracked as much as you can and only take it when you're sure there's nothing else to do.

Now I can understand ME3 deviating from the standard for once, but the cool thing would be a party member (or the journal) letting you know that horrible things will actually happen unless you do the quest right loving now. But since this is a rushed game with a very short development time and a horrible interface, meh, you don't even get a warning.

tl;dr: you're being a silly muppet

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Aristobulus posted:

I think he probably likes that you can shoot people. and scary looking alien monsters.

I don't really know he kinda described the entire game as terrible so if he thinks that he should probably just write it all off and move on.

The game in itself is a great game. It's even more impressive if you consider the development time that went into it.

However, like everyone I expected it to be an improvement over ME2 and it's not. Hell, more of the same would've been fine, but I think most people here would agree ME2 beats it soundly everywhere, even story-wise, unless you like 9-11 rhetoric and crap like a roid beast that has to get Commander Shepard (the equivalent of Jesus Christ in the ME world) into a fist-fight to start a difficult conversation with him. He also calls him "loco". Loco. Really Bioware? Really? Space opera writing won't win many awards but this a bit too much.

And I'm not even close to the ending. I'm taking my time hoping the patch that changes it comes soon.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Snicker-Snack posted:

The fact that you can miss something does not make it broken. The possibility of failure is not bad game design.

Many games, old or new, allow you to miss something if you overlook it. Many side quests and items in DX:HR or the Witcher 2 can be missed if you advance the plot without finding them.

It's pretty much an universal agreement that ME3's Journal is bad, and I'll agree that it could definitely make a better job in telling you the difference between "game world urgent" and "actually urgent in gameplay terms", but blaming the game because you can miss stuff and arguing that it is bad game design is dumb.

I agree that some side-quests might be specific to a particular moment in the story, and once you've progressed past a certain point it doesn't make sense to be able to do those anymore. It's not failure but missed content we're talking about. I think it's in the interest of both the developer and the player to make most content available and not missable unless it's a clear design decision (The Witcher 2 is a good example).

Above all, the player should somehow be aware that he's about to miss on something big (because he's making a big choice or he's about to leave an area forever), and if he's not then yes, it's not "the possibility of failure" but plain bad design.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Hahahaha the Reaper on Rannoch, what a crappy moment of gameplay. Yeah Shepard just stay in an open spot looking confused instead of hiding somewhere to laser target him.

What a crock of bullshit.

Paino fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2012

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Samopsa posted:

Also, yeah, it was a bit weak but it was better then just a cinematic imo.

It looked really silly. Shepard is becoming some kind of dumber Jack Bauer.

I'm sorry about the spoiler tags, I supposed the fact that Shepard kills Reapers on planets wasn't really a spoiler, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. (spoilertagged now)

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
OH MY GOD Tali's face is a slightly photoshopped random brunette from google images.

:ughh:

This is 4chan level of trolling. I'm speechless. And my suspension of disbelief is obviously gone.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Oxxidation posted:

You're seriously slow on the uptake, aren't you

Maybe because I just play games how and whenever I want and don't spoil myself with stupid poo poo like trailers, promos, previews, trailer for the trailer, forum discussing rumors, etc.

So yeah, it's the first time I see it and it looks stupid, even for a troll. Forgive me if I only talk about a game in a game forum after I've plaid said game, maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Dan Didio posted:

I plaid a trailer once and boy-sirreee it was stupid poo poo.

I used to love trailers, then they decided it was brilliant to show 90% of plot points in them, and I stopped seeing them altogether.

They already ruined a number of movies/games for me.

For example, I take it you haven't seen the extended trailer to Sunshine before the movie itself. That kind of poo poo is pretty much the standard now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Finally finished the game. I'm angry, obviously, and no "ending DLC" will ever fix what they've done with the story.

I'm probably very late to the party but WHAT THE gently caress? Sloppy marines rhetoric (I'm proud of you son), three epilogues that are almost identical, a ghost child AI that doesn't make loving sense, choices that contradict the lore (mass relays exploding means massive supernovas of doom, good job on beating the Reapers at obliterating all life, Shep!) and story so far (why give a chance to synthetic life if nothing loving matters and it will destroy organics anyway in the future? IT WAS ONE OF THE MAIN loving THEMES OF ME3).

This ending is not just bad, it seems painfully engineered to be horrifying. I'm speechless. They didn't just ruin my suspension of disbelief, they raped it in the rear end and choked it with a plastic bag. Also how did the Normandy escape? Why are my party members on the Normandy? Why do Bioware thinks getting killed by synthetics now is a good way to avoid getting killed by synthetics in a distant future?

And classy loving cherry on top:

"Shepard is now a legend BUY DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT. EA."

• Locked thread