Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shadowhand00 posted:

I was trying to figure out why it was taking me forever to charge.

Then I looked at my charge recharge time and it was something like 22 seconds :(

What is the better spec - 100% shields or 25% free charge?

I like 100% shields on Insanity because it's a lot more reliable than 25% charge reset and you can usually roll around or hide for the 3 seconds it takes for your cooldown to come up again.

You are just using a Shotgun and Pistol, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I'm just not that far into the game and it seems like they're making too much of an effort to compensate for the lack of homosexuality in the other 2 games and it's stupid. Games should be more like Fallout:NV. You literally would not know that half the companions in the game are gay unless you talked to them for like 5 minutes and even then they won't hit on you I'm pretty sure.

I would hope that in the 23rd century mankind will have gotten over this whole homophobia thing and people are allowed to flirt with whoever they like but I guess we have to tell those gays to shut up about their lifestyle while we talk about hot Asari titties.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Eurogamer review mentioned a side conversation between a Soldier and the Asari receptionist at the Embassy but all I have there is an old lady trying to contact her son and every time I swing by she's lapsing more and more into dementia and she can't even remember why she's there anymore but the receptionist reminds her a lot of the Asari that her son married. (Spoilered for side conversation progression) It's :smith: as hell.

DA2 and TOR might be dogshit and the main plot of ME3 seems pretty lame so far but all the side content has been great. They really tried to tie in everything from teh previous games and finally there is closure for the Refund Guy!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lotish posted:

There's a conversation between a soldier and his asari wife as in the dock, as I recall. That what you're looking for?

No, the Eurogamer review mentions a female soldier who married an Asari and they're both going to war and need to find foster care for their child because the soldier's family won't take care of the kid because she married outside the species. Apparently she's trying to get the Asari at the embassy desk to help out.

Also it's kinda fun to look at the War Assets as power levels. (Hanar Diplomat) Kasumi by herself is more valuable than the entire Hanar fleet + Drell operatives, which itself is only 5 more value than a small squad of Spectres. Also, Bau's Spectre Armor looks sweet as hell.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lotish posted:

I haven't seen personal proof yet, but Arrival, Kasumi, Zaeed and Liara's DLCs have been mentioned as impacting somehow.

Overlord, Kasumi and Shadow Broker all show up. I don't have Arrival, though so I'm not sure about that one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tadashi posted:

Did Anderson tell Shepard why he'd been de-comissioned in their meeting on Earth?

"The poo poo that you've done would've gotten anyone else court-martialed" is about the only explanation I got.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Charlie Mopps posted:

If you dont already have the DLC, only buy Lairs of the Shadow Broker, which is awesome from beginning to end, and just read the stories of the rest.

Kasumi's side quest is pretty fun and 30.1 was probably the most :unsmith: moment so far in the game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rookersh posted:

Its neither DA2, nor ME2.

IE, its not Biowares worst, but its not their best either. If you liked 1/2 and wanted to see how it'll all end, its worth it to see the ending, although a few moments will have you really wondering whats happened to Bioware.

And the multiplayer is really fun, so I mean, longevity.

Uh, ME2 wasn't that great either aside from making the combat more enjoyable. Unless ME3's ending is a FMV of the writers taking a hot poo poo on the camera lens I'm not seeing at what point this game slides beneath ME2 in quality.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BobTheSpy posted:

Very very early game spoilers: I tried to punch the reporter, and failed. :( She kicked my rear end.

There is a second interrupt after the dodge where you headbutt her.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Shotgun talk: Which one do you prefer?

Currently using the Eviscerator, pondering whether to save up for the Spectre version or just level up the Scimitar. The N7 shotgun is alright but I feel like I should be using a heavy pistol over it if I wanted to headshot dudes from cover. The Scimitar feels like it always did (the King of Shotguns). I didn't preorder from Origin so I can't comment on that other Shotgun and I'm not sure which others I'm missing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh gently caress you BioWare.

From Ashes: Don't leave the planet before finishing the sidequest. You can't go back to Eden Prime so if you don't finish the Eden Prime Resistance before you leave it's just stuck in your quest log.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aw poo poo I'll never look at Krogan poetry the same again. :smith:

God drat he actually rewrote his original terrible stuff from ME2 god drat. :smith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Doniazade posted:

Is there a way to enable cutscene skipping or fullscreen windowed mode yet? I'm really not that interested in watching the tedious loving intro and the same cutscenes for the fourth time when trying out another class. It won't even let me tab out without pausing the oh so important cutscene.

Go to graphics settings and set it to Windowed (no border)?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

rock2much posted:

I don't need to have one of each gun type on me then this time around huh? I'm guessing a shotty, a rifle and a heavy pistol?

Shotgun and pistol.

Maybe skip the pistol if you like using your fists.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like every time I try Nova I just die instantly when my shields go down. As a result my playstyle is with 100% barrier Charge, 15% bonus damage shotgun to the face followed by Heavy Melee that resets cooldown on Charge and gives insane melee damage buff for like 30 seconds. Also Shotgun bayonet looks so god drat cool in cutscenes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rabidredneck posted:

I just encountered the Rachni Queen, and I'm still wondering what to think. I spared her in ME1 because 1: it felt like the right thing to do; and 2: I ended her once and did not care for how Shep almost gleefully pushed the button and watched her die screaming. I liked the encounter on ME2 with her Asari aid telling you how the Rachni were rebuilding and the queen's promise to aid you against the Reapers.

Next part will be in spoilers, DO NOT READ unless you have reached/gotten past this part.

So first, they've retconned saving the queen as Shep has gotten her word that she'll ake the Rachni away from the galaxy and disappear, no mention or her promise from ME2. Apparently the Reapers found them and went right back to converting them into shock troops. So we essentially find the queen in practically the exact same prediciment from ME1, and we have to make practically the same decision.

Now I chose to help her again for her oath to aid against the Reapers (again) sacrificing Grunt's new squad to do so. Which led to a terrifying and awesome cutscene where I have a boulder in my gut thinking I just sacrificed Grunt as well. Fortunately he got better. So either they just retconned the whole Rachni thing from ME1, or I'm wondering if maybe some import flag didn't get read correctly ala Conrad from ME2.

Also Grunt gets the best lines "I don't need luck, I HAVE AMMO!!"

They kinda dropped the ball on this one but I do understand why they did it. Basically they designed this whole level where you went in with Grunt to meet with the Rachni. I think most people let the Rachni live so this level had to exist. So Bioware had the problem of "well what do the people who killed the Rachni off forever get?" because technically the level shouldn't exist for those people who Renegaded that option. Also they wanted Steve Blum to yell really loud while tearing weapons off modified bugs and to have everyone get to see it.

If you did kill the Rachni apparently the Queen is unrelated to the one you killed before. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that it's a Queen that the Reapers made from basically frankensteining Queen parts?

I think that's the major thing detracting from the game so far (haven't hit the apparently terrible ending yet): Bioware didn't want to punish players for making their choices matter too much, hence the stunt doubles for people you got killed in ME2 which kinda cheapens the whole thing. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Hanar Diplomat where you save the Spectre and the Hanar homeworld if you have Kasumi.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I really like what they did with Jack this game in terms of her character. I'm not a fan of ink or piercing but I think with her new look she's the most attractive girl in the game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you charge them they will get staggered and you can shotgun them in the body while they are flailing their arms and thus don't have the shield covering them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat, I have every possible melee boost on my Vanguard and it's just not really reliable on Insanity. You have to purge Fortification (lose damage reduction), heavy melee finish a dude (you aren't invulnerable during this animation) and then hope you can two shot dudes fast enough before charge comes back up.

I really wanted to elbow the poo poo out of the world with my Bayonet Shotgun but I'm getting way more mileage out of just dumping shotgun shells point blank at dudes. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aw poo poo, Kelly Chambers I'm sorry I got you killed. I thought it would've been better for you to help everyone with your psychology than to go into hiding. Guess that's what a second playthrough is for.

• Locked thread