Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Sure are defensive there, hoss.

You of all people should be aware of how people react to excessive bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

Thank you for proving blatant fanboyism is thriving. As if all the poo poo Bioware has pulled is excuseable because "but waddabout the multiplayer, guys!". Bioware has a fortune, they can hire their own defense force, they don't need you to try and do it for them.

No, you're getting really loving desperate at this point if you're trying to use a promo image as yet more proof that Bioware is the Great Satan of game development. Maybe wait a bit, hope for more word of mouth to roll in, so your latest salvo won't just wind up with you embarrassing yourself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hi guys. After being very disappointed by the quality of DA: 2 (and preordering it no less) I'm on the fence about ME3. I enjoyed ME2 and never played ME1. So, some questions:

-Is the writing on par with ME2?
-Do your choices matter? Can you have very different playthoughs like Dragon Age and ME2, or are you railroaded like DA:2? Are there distinct different endings like Dragon Age/Fallout? Nothing annoyed me more in DA:2 than approaching the plot differently, choosing different conversation options and having none of it matter.
-Are the maps noticeably copy and paste?
-Is the Day 1 dlc worth it?
-Any major ps3 issues?

Thanks goons.

- Probably better. There's a much better sense of urgency in my game so far and the dialogue, while still pretty standard sci-fi thriller boilerplate, has had no noticeably embarrassing moments and a few impressive ones.
- "Choices mattering" has always extended to little more than cosmetic stuff, but if you killed off a lot of your old party members expect to miss some significant scenes. Dunno about the endings, but my understanding is they all have the same ultimate outcome with vastly different degrees of collateral damage.
- Mass Effect is where the souls of restless skybox designers go for their unfinished business. By that I mean the environments are vastly different and nowhere near DA2's nonsense. You'll still see a suspicious number of warehouse-like environments with convenient cover, though.
- Yyyyyep.
- Don't know.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 7, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's even tolerable with pubs, for the most part, because there's nothing in the game that encourages griefing or rear end in a top hat kill-stealing.

The only problem is Krogan players storming and meleeing everything. Except that's not a problem. I'd call that the opposite of a problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So how do you find places like the Attican Traverse or the Shrike Abyssal? Are there star maps I have to purchase, or what?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

serewit posted:

I think all of the enemies in MP are pretty well-balanced, except Reapers. gently caress Banshees. :shepface:

Reapers favor concentrated fire above all else. For Geth, you want the party to be a little divided to watch each other's backs; for Cerberus, even more so, because otherwise a well-placed grenade will flatline two or more of your team. But Reapers? Stay in a terrified huddle at all times and open fire on anything that moves until it stops. They focus on overwhelming force and shock tactics, so the best way to deal with them is to hold them back with a solid wall of lead.

ymgve posted:

But I am that idiot.

Speaking of which, how are you supposed to use Concussion Shot? I feel it's basically useless, and the time you spend sending it could be better used with Adrenaline Rush and some hot lead instead.

I've found it's decent for putting down Nemeses and Phantoms long enough to get some decent shots in. Worthless otherwise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cyra posted:

I really want that DLC, but I can't justify paying ten dollars for something already on-disc that should've been part of the main story to begin with. That's just disgusting.

It's been said repeatedly both in these threads and by the developers themselves that the DLC was completed after they'd been ordered to finish production on the main game. So no, they're not charging for "something already on-disc."

You can just believe that they're all lying to you, of course, but then you look like the rear end in a top hat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In any case, chances of the ending being revised via DLC are probably nil. So long as there's a handful of people defending them, the developers will use that as an excuse to not go to the effort.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Symphoric posted:

I think the game would have been infinitely more interesting if we had never gotten any insight into the mind of the Reapers at all. They should have remained completely and terrifyingly incomprehensible.

The ending is moronic but this assumption is and always has been completely incorrect, and more of a symptom of the internet's gut instinct to instantly associate any Very Big Menace with Lovecraft. You can't build up a trilogy's antagonists on completely unknowable intentions and expect to maintain interest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

Out of curiosity how did they retcon the fallout 3 ending with the DLC?

Not very. They added in an extra dialogue option and a new slide to mitigate its very dumbest aspect. Probably took all of an hour to code.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You know what's annoying? How your armor in the loadout screen takes forever to load. Or never loads at all. It's been two minutes and nothing so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh my God, everything on the Normandy post-Sur'kesh is loving gold.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zomodok posted:

Oh god this gets worse.

Attention anyone, if you allowed these scenes to take place then you are the worst person. Every single person is better than you. Some species of lizard are also better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

omg car crash posted:

Holy gently caress, everything about Tuchanka was amazing.

Poor Moradin, though. Should have saw things my way.

I'd like to say there will be songs composed in memory of how much of a monster you are, but that would be a disservice to music.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bloomington posted:

So I saw something interesting on IGN of all places.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

At the bottom they say there's an extra ending if you play a second game. Has anyone poopsocked this game enough to verify this?

As usual, IGN doesn't know what they're talking about. There's no extra ending, just an extra scene that you can also get by carrying over an ME2 save file.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kai Leng is the loving stupidest character in the entire Mass Effect franchise. Just the stupidest and most loving ridiculous character. Just him being Captain Mary Sue I AM SO BADASS despite not having shown up in any previous games alone is enough to sour me on him. Did anyone like that guy?

At least his super-badass and stylish wow so cool introduction is immediately defused by Thane politely walking in and showing everyone how a real professional does business.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Just noticed a nice little Mordin related callback in one of Liara's shadow broker files - looks like cerberus took note of Mordin's off-hand comment about optical flashbangs being better than cyanide capsules in teeth.

I said, "God drat it, Mordin" out loud when uncovering that little stroy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord of Laughton posted:

Alright. I'm at the part where Mordin is about to go up the elevator on Tuchanka at the Shroud and I'm given the decision to say 'I'm not stopping you' or 'I'll stop you if i have to'. I must have missed what came just before that but I have no idea what I'm responding to. Can someone help me out?

Mordin learned that you've been keeping the Shroud's sabotage from him and is determined to go up anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

Choosing who to bring along on missions is really hard in this game. :( Is there somebody I should definitely bring to Tuchanka? Vega asked to go but, I dunno, I don't dislike him but he's not my favorite.

The Priority: Tuchanka mission? Take Javik. Give the jackass a nice present for a change.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kongming posted:

Renegade just isn't as awesome in this game. In ME2 you could push mercs off of skyscrapers or make a public spectacle at a gift shop until they give you a discount but there just isn't anything like that in ME3. Most renegade actions are just "shoot guy".

This was the first game where Renegade options went from "comically dickish" to "kind of uncomfortable." Tuchanka's a prime example.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Smelly posted:

Is there an easy way to drop the armor of the (slight enemy spoiler)Ravagers

It seems like when you shoot the sacs on their bodies that their health drops quicker. Might be a confirmation bias on my part though.

No, I've had that experience, too. Also, I'm pretty certain that little blue node where you'd expect the head to be is a weak spot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Well the only thing I did different from you was telling everybody about the Salarian plan when I had the second chance to do so, and Eve survived. I guess that everybody knowing means that people take more care protecting her or something?

No, it all depends on Maelon's data. Without it, Mordin doesn't have the information necessary to maintain Eve's health during the process, and she dies.

The constant "you wanna tell them about the sabotage now? How about NOW?" choices just serve to drive in the knife if you go Renegade.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

They produced a creative work in the form that they envisioned. You can appreciate for its merits or dislike it because it doesn't suit your taste, but you are owed no respect by its creator, nor do I see how a story that doesn't address you directly is disrespectful

I understand how the ending might leave you with a sour taste in your mouth in light of the emotional attachment you've developed to the story's characters, but they're not YOUR characters, they are the writers' characters. I suppose a less vulgar analogy would be like lecturing a parent on how he/she should be raising his or her children.

I hope you don't take offence to this post, by the way, I do not mean it as a personal attack. Just trying to present an alternative viewpoint.

The thing is that the ending was actually written by the team's new head, who didn't do any work on the previous two games. So from another viewpoint, this is more like someone stomping all over someone else's sandcastle and saying the mess of sand and footprints is way more appealing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aurubin posted:

So is it ever explained where Cerberus got all those troops? Video game conventions notwithstanding, wasn't it a point in ME2 that they weren't a military outfit and more of an Illuminatiesque group?

No, they were always primarily a cell-based paramilitary group with a lot of questionable research projects on the side, funded by wealthy and anonymous human donors. Their numbers do swell dramatically between games, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Change the Mass Effect 3 box's text to LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE, thanks in advance

e: drat it, beaten already?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

STOP MAKING SENSE posted:

That's an ending I can get behind!

...or in front of...?

Just so long as you're downwind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Legion speculation

Okay, so when you go into the Geth consensus and watch the scenes from the history of the Geth, you have that one scene where you see the first time a Geth arms itself in defense. Shepard then makes a comment about how the rifle in the video is the same model Legion uses. Legion takes a pause and says "It is an efficiant model." Now, should we be lead to believe that Legion could, by chance, be that same Geth that armed itself first? Of course, 200+ is a long time, so I imagine it isn't the same body. But maybe it's the same conscious. I don't know much about fictional robot races, but could an AI exist that long?

An AI doesn't age. It's incapable of aging. The hardware that stores its data can decay, but geth runtimes freely swap themselves from database to platform as it suits their needs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Haledjian posted:

So I only reently realized the Widow and Black Widow are two different guns. How are they different from each other?

The Black Widow has 3 shots to a clip.

It cannot be overstated how much of a difference this makes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Has anyone ever seen the poker table get used?

Only if you have Kaidan. He cleans Vega's clock. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barracuda Bang! posted:

And four months after that you'd have hair below your shoulders?

If Jack's hair doesn't grow fast enough then she goes to a mirror and glares at her scalp until it does what she wants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Doing the Grissom Academy mission:

1: Holy hell I love the Mattock, even if it's only at rank 1. 420 scope in and pop heads erryday

2: Jack is awesome as always

3: Holy gently caress some of the grinder fights on Insanity are, well, insane. I'ma try the fight after you unlock the big door (big ramp up to the right, mech pressuring from below-left and guys rushing you from left and down the ramp) again tomorrow, fuuuuck

That atrium battle was one of the toughest in the game for me. Enemies just have so many entry points and your cover opportunities are limited once you move past the outer ring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paino posted:

OH MY GOD Tali's face is a slightly photoshopped random brunette from google images.

:ughh:

This is 4chan level of trolling. I'm speechless. And my suspension of disbelief is obviously gone.

You're seriously slow on the uptake, aren't you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

Oxxidation bought me this one, same as he did the previous one, because he has some kind of a rage hard on for attacking me or something, idk ask him? :v:

I didn't buy either of them. If I wanted to waste $10 I'd just flush it down the toilet.

Maybe your posting's annoying more than one person? Hard concept to grasp, yeah, but you can do it. You've got hidden reserves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elysiume posted:

In that case she gets to be back on my ship. She can be one of the few on the Normandy for all three games.

Is there any easy tell for the difference between missions with suggested urgency and the actual timer missions? I read some complaining about the timed ones earlier. Is it something obvious like "X is literally going to explode if we don't get there right now"?

Basically, yeah. Or when you get distress signals implying that someone is under attack right this very second.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Speaking of animations, did we ever learn what was up with Shepard in ME2? That limping walk bugged me to no end, and even the running animation seemed kind of stiff. Was it some kind of 'he's in pain after being resurrected so he limps, see, gritty!' thing?

Running animations that don't look stone-cold ridiculous are notoriously difficult to code. I think that's the extent of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I would just like to raise the no-doubt well-tread opinion that it is ri-god-damned-diculous that none of the ME3 DLC has gone on sale besides Omega, aka the crap one that nobody likes.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was because the main game's price dropped so sharply after the ending fiasco.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Who doesn't like Aria?

People with good sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fraction posted:

Yup, I played through all three mass effect games (2, then 1, then 2 then 3 :downs:) early this year or late last year for the first time. I definitely didn't, and still don't, understand the hate and fury that ME3's ending seems to inspire.

ME3's ending in itself just got people severely irritated; it was when we learned how it was made (two of the writing staff basically ran away from the rest of the team, locked themselves in a closet, and scribbled out the whole scenario on a napkin) that everyone went nuclear.

It was also a culmination of the hatedom that Dragon Age 2 started - pissing on Bioware had turned into a pastime and there were an awful lot of people who were waiting for vindication of all their "Bioware sucks" memes. Mass Effect 3's awful ending provided that in spades.

• Locked thread