Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Both my Commander Shepards that I used for ME1 and 2 imported looking way too strange for me to accept. I'm going to have to wait and see if they can fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Kongming posted:

Yeah I didn't notice until I already started but my Shepard looked like he is having an allergic reaction or something. His face seems all puffy.

One of mine looks like a distant relation of the original, and the other looks nothing at all like the original. I thought I'd done something wrong until I read about other people with messed up imports. They said something about the ME1>ME2 import having something to do with it. I still have my ME1 save games so maybe they can do a hybrid import of the face from the ME1 save and the story from ME2.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This morning I was thinking about my problem with incorrect faces on my two me1/me2 characters. I remembered I'd posted their me2 face codes in an old thread so I searched like mad and found it!

I reimported one of them and went to customize the face. The code was already there!

:argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

TannhauserGate posted:

So the biggest feature of the entire series- importing the same character across all 3 games- wasn't even playtested by the developers, and everybody's still defending this with "well your expectations were too high". I was wrong, there is no limit to how low people will stoop in defending lazy media.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed to see that this doesn't work. One of the biggest draws for me was creating my own Shepard and then carrying him through from game to game. That they knew this wouldn't work but still marketed it as working seems rather slippery.

That said now that the game is out there's no incentive for them to fix this so I I'll just rebuild them, but I'm disappointed in the people that made this game. The pathetic excuses I've been reading online from them make it clear they think their customers are idiots.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Birudojin posted:

For what it's worth, your mass effect save sites have been a huge asset to me personally for grabbing new saves without needing to play through ME1 and ME2 every time we need a new one. We can fake and hack a lot of it internally, but having a ready pool to pull from is great.

It's rare for one person's site to provide such utility for so many people. :cheers:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Rirse posted:

That said, you can get your ME1 face if you select "rebuild face" in ME2 when importing and go back, as it then generates a code. I am using the same face in ME3 that I had in ME1 and ME2. I can tell from the Steam screenshots I have that they are the same minus the hair growing out more and more each time (from real short to medium length).

I no longer have ME1 or ME2 but I still have the code from ME2 after it imported my ME1 character. That code already shows in ME3's import screen so it doesn't appear to be good for anything now. I still have my ME1 and ME2 saves on my Xbox but I don't expect them to serve any purpose.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is ME3 filled with decisions where you don't realize they're going to have momentous impact on the story, or get main characters killed, etc.? I've read something about timers for missions but are they really timers, or just missions that might get locked off if you progress the main story past a certain point?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I didn't even know there was MP because I've been on a self-imposed media blackout. I let my Xbox Gold sub expire a few weeks ago but it looks like ME 3 came with a free 2 day trial. Be funny if I can squeeze in all the MP I need in those two days.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I gave up and rebuilt my Shepard since importing doesn't work as advertised. The first forty minutes I played was pretty disappointing:

1. Facial animations and lipsynching are poor. What happened? It's painful to watch cut scenes when the body animations seem to work but the faces are out of sync. Because of this the cutscenes make characters look like dead-eyed robots.

2. Lighting looks like Gears of War. Everyone has the skin of a bad patch of road. ME1 and ME 2 had a particular look with the way they used lighting and now it's so harsh people look freaky.

3. I can't holster my weapon. Am I really going to spend the entire game running around looking down the barrel of my gun like I'm piloting a tank? Mass Effect has wonderful environments and now I'm forced to experience it through a toilet paper tube. It's claustrophobic and frustrating. I'm constantly wanting to zoom out so I can see more around me.

I know everyone else loves this game but I feel like the Mass Effect touch is absent, like they picked up the art assets and voice actors but abandoned everything else. I am bummed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There are so many shocked, surprised and unhappy smilies in this thread. This game is going to kill all my crew, isn't it? :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

That would have been sweet as hell. Especially when you see your love interest was (ASARI SPECTRE #3) who immediately hands you a brochure on Sexual Harassment In The Space Workplace.

And then you have to get a Space Lawyer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just got to the Citadel and ran into a horribly voice acted reporter that looks like Snooki. I told her to take a hike but I except she'll be forced on me later based on how she's dressed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

They certainly found a way to make scanning even more annoying. Wander aimlessly while clicking the button until OH NO you pressed it too many times abandon system, go somewhere else and forget where you scanned in the current system so you get to do it all over again. There should be some kind of overlay in each system to show where you've scanned.

Also those tiny reapers remind me of Pac-Man ghosts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I didn't leave a system til I'd scanned all the planets or found all of the sites. Only thing I'd be missing that way was fuel.

How do you do this with Reapers chasing you from all sides?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I disliked Meer's work in ME1 (other than his big stupid jellyfish line) but when I used a maleshep Renegade to balance out me femaleshep Paragon in ME2 I changed my mind. He delivered the Renegade lines really well, with a mixture of coldness, arrogance or bluntness that I found entertaining. I'm looking forward to carrying that character over into ME3 when I'm done with my Paragon run.

Also I loved the way they reused that line in ME3. I knew it had to be coming and I wasn't disappointed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The MSJ posted:

James probably became Hispanic after Freddie Prinze Jr. was cast.

:wth:

I had no idea that was him. I expected his character to be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Atrium mission is making my Sentinel very unhappy. I tried running up the right side ramp to get some high ground but then it spawns guys directly to each side so you get sandwiched. Maybe I'll just hide by the entry door for a while.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Here.

I'd actually bookmarked that and forgotten. On the second phase I wound up running about halfway down that side, getting stuck in melee and then running all the way to the last pylon. Turned out to be a good place to make a stand and I finished off the area. Thank you!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The rachni mission was fairly unpleasant but that bit near the end where the devs said "well, let's just drop a bunch of enemies right on top of the player" really sucked, even as a sentinel. I don't know how an engineer would be able to survive that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

"The lizard people evolved?"

That made me laugh out loud. So did Joker's comments about the Turians "losing their poo poo."

Sometimes ME3 feels more like the Blues Brothers than a Mass Effect game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I did as many side missions as possible before the Tuchanka priority one. It felt like the quality of the game was building up through that whole mission, and although the multiple brutes section was giving my Sentinel fits it was ultimately enjoyable. That sequence with the thresher maw taking down the reaper was chock full of :hellyeah:

I'm still a little bummed at my squad options, even with the addition of Javik. No krogans? No Jack? :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

You can run through the Brutes.

That's what I wound up doing, just trying to keep an eye out for the shadow of Reaperfoot. I was suprised it worked, and it was a relief after getting my rear end handed to me by the brutes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

I agree it should have been sold better to the player.

Wrex: SHEPARD! It's appears to be speaking.

Shepard: What is it saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o

Talking bombs get all the best lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_47mmt5SZY

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've tried the Rannoch reaper sequence 12 times now. It makes me think the people that made this game never bothered playing it. There's no way to tell just how close the beam can get to you without dying from your view, and sometimes it bugs and never stops firing so there's no possibility of avoiding it even with continuous rolls.

EDIT: Managed to get a shot off and... the sequence continues. I turned it off for now because I am not enjoying this. So any time I see the beam I should just run all the way to the other end and retarget?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 1, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I did it by rolling. I died a few times and got frustrated until I realized that you don't have to get the shot off each time - the targeting reticule picks up where you left off.

EDIT: I found a way through. The beam goes whatever direction you're moving when it starts. I would get close to one side, move toward that end to get the beam to move that way and immediately run back the other direction and fire. The beam always continued moving away from me. What an ugly episode.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 2, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Vigilance posted:

Nnno.....No :(

Well I hope it still has some fun tricks to play with. I'm not switching classes now after playing two full games with it :colbert:

I'll definitely try a Vanguard the next time I play though

My main Shep from the start has been a Sentinel and although it's not quite as robust as before my strategy wound up the same: Lots of biotics, lots of assault rifle shooting and now the occasional sprint to stab something in the face with heavy melee.

I have to say taking two other assault rifle teammates and giving everyone particle rifles makes it much easier to see what your people are targeting. And melting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If they really did fix importing ME1/ME2 sheps that's cool, but too late for my primary shep. Going to try it anyway out of curiosity to see if it works better than my manual attempt.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think I'm approaching the end of the game so I'm already thinking about my renegade shep run. I'm torn between engy, infil and soldier (what I used last time.) My first run as usual was as a Sentinel and I'm wondering how an engy or infil could even survive something like the final rush in the Rachni cave where enemies are just plunked down at arm's length all around you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Started a game with my renegade Shep from ME2 and at the very beginning when you see Ashley I was all :pwn:. What did they do to her? It's not that I even liked her character but still...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I thought the patch was supposed to fix the problem with faces for imported ME1/ME2 characters. Definitely didn't for me.

I gave engineer a try with my ME2 renegade shep and at first it seemed terrible but then I remembered I had a ton of points to distribute. Grabbed Stasis as my bonus power and beefed up the sentry to cryo ammo. With chain overload things were stunned, frying and freezing all over the place in the initial reaper attack.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I saved the Rachni queen in my original ME1 playthrough but let her die in my renegade run. How does the ME 3 Rachni cavern mission play out without her?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used my 2 day "Gold" code so I could grind multiplayer for my readiness and it was pretty tedious. I'd stopped the main game when I got to the attack on the Cerebus base and today I decided to push through to the ending.

There were long chunks of time where I couldn't save which I always find annoying and after the big fight defending the missiles I really just wanted to be done. Having to do a shitload of limping only made it more of a drag.

The ending... someone here was PM'ing spoilers to people so I already had a basic idea of what would happen. I'm not as distressed as most people about the options even if it all felt pretty clumsy. I've been playing the series for literally years and have had plenty of enjoyment from it and it must be hard to keep the quality up.

In the end I think they did a good job with ME 3, it just took quite a while to build up steam and feel like my character belonged there. It was something of a chore to keep trolling NPCs for conversations but there was a payoff both with the familiar characters and the secondary ones. And boy does Martin Sheen do a good job. He really sold it.

I've been through three Xbox 360s but I've carried the hard drive over from one to the next, always preserving my ME1 and later my ME2 saves. I did the same for Saints Row and I think I'll be able to retire this thing soon. But I will miss my Shep. It's always strange when I see ME videos and it's not my Shep.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Here's a fun thing: none of those tracks were actually written for ME2. In fact, Callista (played in 'upper' Afterlife) is over a decade old and was used in a game once already, namely Need for Speed: High Stakes.

The Afterlife music was a perfect fit for that scene where you first enter. I thought it was Jack Wall's so I'm surprised to see that not only is it by someone else (Saki Kaskamanidis) but that it's from an earlier game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's a 15 minutes cinematic of Shepard choking on blood, passing out and finally being consumed by fire. :smith:

• Locked thread