Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Cute. There's a Shodan easter egg/reference on mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ugh. Dammit.

There's a map hole in the normandy cockpit, a small recess to the right of joker. Just got stuck and save/reload didn't help, gonna have to load the autosave.

Edit: haven't been able to reproduce the issue--probably related to where I was standing when I initiated conversation with Joker.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 6, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

What I want to know is how in the hell does that hamster stay alive for 6+ months running free on a ship getting refitted?.

Really ruined the immersion for me :mad:

Also, I'm getting random hilarious ragdoll glitches/behaviors. Like when Shep and Liara are chatting in her cabin, they both turn their heads all the way to the right and left.

Otherwise, the game is goddamn gorgeous.

What the hell did they do to my ship though??

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Are SMGs useless at anything but pointblank range? I'm under the distinct impression that I can't hit poo poo (which is hilariously underscored when you get the scope for it).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Yes, and make sure you pick up the Cockpit Throw Rug DLC so you can cover up the spot Joker put honey on trying to get kinky with his new co-pilot.

That pissed me off to no end when I first found that spot "oh, it's joker! He's funny...move around the cockpit, see if there are any nifty hotspots...wth did they do to my ship, it's half ripped-apart now...hey, why can't I move?"

Thank god for autosaves. I still had to redo about 2-3 conversation trees.

Edit:

Banjodark posted:

oh who am I kidding, Miranda's butt still annoys me.

vvv This combined with your avatar is hilarious.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 6, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

:cripes: I bought the DD version from amazon, registered the key it gave me in Origin, and the "From ashes" dlc and the N7 bonus addons had a button next to them labeled "installed"

You'd think that they're, I don't know, installed, right?

Well, I haven't seen them in game, so I go back to Origin and notice the Indira and Argus rifles had a recessed "installed" next to them. So on a lark I push the "installed" buttons. They changed to "ready to install." :psypop:

gently caress ORIGIN.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

So, in a non-spoiler-y way, are there any problematic missions we need to be on the lookout for? Missions that must be done within a certain time or are a point-of-no-return, like the Reaper IFF from ME2?

From what I understand, the "Priority" missions advance the plot, there are 3 phases to the plot, and the side missions you get from emails, conversations, etc generally need to be done in the phase they are given. I don't believe side missions affect one another in a timer sort of way, but I'm not 100% for all side missions on that.

Practically speaking, if you want to get all the side missions and bonuses, get all the side missions you can off your plate before doing the next priority mission. If you pissed off the reapers when scanning for war assets, they reset after any combat mission, so you can scan all around, do something like the cerberus lab strike you get at the beginning and you can finish scanning without having to do a main plot mission. (or you can cheese it with a save/reload)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, is it just me, or are the squadmates a LOT less aggressive this time around? Even when I order them close to the enemy, it's like pulling teeth to try and get them to fire their gun. I watched James sitting in cover right next to a guy and wouldn't even fire on him when I ordered him to, and they hang back a LOT more than they need to.

Let me know, maybe I'm just getting myself into odd situations or something.

It seems that way. Then again, this isn't a Bad Thing, considering in my ME2 replay last week it seems that all my squadmates (especially Mordin) seemed to enjoy traipsing across the battlefield completely exposed, usually dying in a fire.

Between "turtle" and "lemming" I'll gladly take the option that keeps their powers available without draining my medigel every mission.

Also: 138% recharge and upgraded throw is just hilarious against husks.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, maybe a hoodie with an autographed litho or something. That site has saved me so much grief.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Rirse posted:

So when exactly Kelly shows up on the Citadel? I'm about to do the second mission from the demo, but I heard after that the Citadel gets attacked and Kelly dies if you haven't spoke to her.

I found Kelly after doing the cerberus lab raid you get at the beginning, along with doing just about all of the start-game asset probing. It's easy to miss her since you have to actually get close to interactive assets in this game to see their parenthetical brackets (as opposed to ME1+2 where they'd beacon from across the map).

She's located in the docking bay holding area, downstairs, in the cargo containers closest to the stairs up. Basically go down and make a U turn to the right and check the first alcove.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Super.Jesus posted:

Anyone figure out a way to unfuck the bugged Citadel mission? Hanar diplomat in particular.

My experience with the Hanar mission:

Walkthrough spoiler below!

I received the email, and found the guy outside of the CSec guy's office in the Embassy level. I then went to the SPECTRE office and taunted 007 went to the lefthand console and enabled Hanar spying. It then activated the wall unit on the wall past the elevator (it would be to your left walking out of the elevator).
I was able to interact with it and speak with the agent.
At this point my mission glitched. The wall unit remained bracketed but I wasn't able to interact with it. I inferred the docking holding area from the conversation though, so I went there and found another console along the lefthand wall in the hallway.
Next stop was a console to the right at the end of the holding area, then back to the console in the hallway. At that point I could go back to the embassy area and meet up with the agent to finish the mission. Unless you had Kasumi, your choices will be save the agent via renegade interrupt, or save the hanar homeworld.

I've heard that you have to do this mission in one shot; if you leave the citadel it could bug out/not be able to be advanced.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Side quest spoilers (Samara): In 2 Didn't Samara say the only Ardat-Yakshi were extremely rare and the only ones in existence were her three kids? But now there is a monastery full of them?

There's been a few mentions of Ardat-Yakshi monasteries (for example, the gourmet food vendor mentions honey made at AYM's), especially in ME2. I think either Samara was downplaying it, or they're just really rare but not unheard of.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Academy atrium scene was a LOT easier once I sprinted right and went up the ramp. Taking the high ground removes most of the difficulty of the shootout, since the upper walkway troops spawn less and can't shoot down at you even in cover.

On insanity, a sentinel Shep + Liara is a cerberus shredding machine; it's gotten to the point where I can storm around like a vanguard and give no fucks. For the krogan female mission half the cerb troops were dead within 5-6 seconds of contact on each level.

Then again, it could be my +190% power regen; being able to spam multi-throw every other second--periodically combo'd with warp/singularity--makes crowd control trivial. Biotic artillery, if you will.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

I've been trying to keep myself spoiler free, so I probably missed this if it was talked about : Are there some critical you gotta do poo poo before this point missions like the Collector Ship in ME2?

Can we just break down and make this the thread title now?

(to answer: do all the side quests you can before doing each "priority: X" mission and you'll be fine)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

hunted by a freak posted:

I guess me not playing multiplayer at all explains why it hadn't changed then! Thanks for the fast replies.

It's been strongly debated in this thread that the max WA score you can accrue is 7000ish, and since you need a score of 5000 for the best(?) ending, you might want to do an hour or so of multiplayer to raise up the % just before you do the endgame. Especially if you've made a number of suboptimal decisions over the last 120 hours of gameplay.

e: fb

Edit2: Sentinels are also walking deathmachines when paired with Liara (and her just for singularity). Was a much refreshing change of pace from the ME2 sentinel playstyle of "find cover, wear down enemies, wait for krogan/guddamn merc to kill off everyone."

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 8, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

When does From Ashes kick in? Is it a mission available from the very beginning?

If so, I'm going to have to murder my Origin install. Hell, I might just do it anyway on principle...

Also: what do you get from the digital deluxe N7 items?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

This new fuel and reaper evading system sucks a lot. Also how do I know if I found all my little model ships on my spaceship?

The wall behind your desk has a set number of brackets...if all the brackets are full, you probably have them all.

Edit: the fuel system isn't new; its the same one from ME2. The only difference is that the reapers have blown up the gas stations in the systems they control. As for the reaper evasion...well, it's not the best implementation and smacks of a "checkbox" design method (simulate 'behind enemy lines', free movement until you do something, removes need to scan/probe every planet, overwhelming force summoned once you're detected).
That said, it's not the worst gameplay gimmick. If things were a little more randomized it would probably be more interesting...as it stands, if you hate it you can save scum all the hotspots.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 9, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I can see why the atrium battle is found to be difficult...I tried it no fewer than 5 times before I found what makes it easy mode. In retrospect, it's damned obvious.

The main thing that killed me wasn't the atlas or the guys coming up the stairs. It was the guys on the upper walkways able to hit me even in cover, which screwed up my shield regen at best or just outright murdered me.

The answer? When you go in, break right and sprint up the stairs/ramp to the top floor and take the high ground. You're now able to shoot down into the cerberus trying to take cover, you have great cover yourself, and the atlas can't shoot you. There are only a handful of enemies that "spawn" on the upper levels, so you can clear them out easily, feel free to even melee them since you'll be back some and out of direct fire.

Pt 2 is a bit trickier, but remember that the door you came from doesn't lock, so you have safe cover if you need to fall back at any point.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Okay...

So I have some questions right now...

Priority Mission are story missions, and N7 missions are optional ones - so what are the ones unlabelled, like the one given to you by the Volus on the Citadel?

These are the equivalent to "assignments" of ME1 and 2. Usually rewards your with XP, credits, and war assets.

quote:

Also, apparently, I unlocked some kind of research for my armour, and I've not heard anything or seen anything about using that research - does it automatically add to my armour, or?

Crew deck, Liara's office, console next to the white globe.

quote:

Speaking of armour, what happened to all of the ones I had in Mass Effect 2? I heard there's a way to have them carry over - is this true?
The DLC armors from ME2 are available from the Citadel Commons shops, at 50K per armor. You can get every single armor(terminus, inferno, collector's, cerb), even if you didn't have it from preorder/dlc for ME2.

quote:

Also, does a system clear of Reapers eventually, or if I've had to run away from them do they stay there constantly from that point?
I assume you mean you scanned too much and pissed them off. After every combat mission, the reaper awareness levels in every system reset--so you can keep scanning for war assets.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, Cerberus's funding was pretty well covered by previous games. So now couple that with whatever indoctrination/husk tech they've cobbled together and you have a group that can turn its own non-essential personnel into shock troops, but then stage mass-abductions and turn other colonists into troops as well. Couple that with the late-game reveal, and you get a nice private army overnight since you don't need to waste time training the new recruits.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

A few pages late but:

I was feeling the same way until I had a revelation.
I am a green amphibious species with mentally triggered powers, with the side effect of constantly emitting a annoying, droning tone.

I am literally the Hypnotoad.

Drell Adept for life :c00lbert:

Drell are dry lizards, not amphibians. The whole Kerpal syndrome is from living on the hanar waterworld and their lungs getting too wet or something. :science:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Brainamp posted:

You're talking about his son, not the Primarch.

Right, but he's saying that either way the son dies. Doing the mission means he kicked it saving the planet and being honourable. Not doing it means he's just lumped into the statistics after the bomb explodes with a big asterisk that says "failed mission horribly."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Just got all three endings (protip: copy the autosave before you make a decision; saves sooo much bullshit).

Welp. Now I know why people were bitching. On the one hand, I can see some of the endings working out, narratively. On the other, it very much feels like the "Lets have a burger, hahaha" bitchslap, ESPECIALLY with that "Shepard stopped the Reapers and became a legend. Continue on in downloadable content!" screen.

My main hangup is that for the ultimate payoff for 120+ hours invested for each playthrough (or at least 80-90), the ending is VERY cursory; there's no big payoff. Hell, I took Liara with me on the final run and she still managed to pop out of the crashed normandy.

Game was incredible until the last 5 minutes. At least I got to shoot both TIM and Udina.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Do you get a bonus for beating the game? I remember in ME1 you get something for pretty much every achievement in subsequent playthroughs and in ME2 you got an experience bonus for beating the game.

You get a star-child sidekick!

You keep your weapons and armor; the weapons go up to VII in a NG+ (they go to X in multiplayer). Not sure if the powers you've unlocked remain so; I'll check tonight.

You also get the delicious anticipation of getting to shoot Udina and TIM, again!

Edit:
For Tuchanka, Mordin dies if you cure the genophage, he dies if you try to prevent it and Wrex is alive. If Wrex is dead and maelon's data destroyed it is possible to save him since the Krogan will be led by a less...enlightened ruler.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 14, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

CVagts posted:

Powers remain. Although I thought guns went up to X in a new game+.

I heard you could only buy to VII; it would make sense to allow up to X though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Quake posted:

On Thessia, Is it possible to save that Gunship pilot who get's owned by Harvesters? Reason I ask is because that one fight where you have 3 Harvesters pinning you down, I literally couldn't do anything but sit in cover and then they broke off and and owned her Gunship. Can you kill them and save her or does she always die?

nope.avi

On my run I had some good biotic explosions going and actually cleared out the ground troops quick, then when I took out one of the harvesters it actually lurched over and took out the gunship even though it was already dead. It's scripted; the only way to possibly save it is to reject air support. In which case she'll die anyway since Thessia falls.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I'm totally with you. I just want to hang out in this universe more. And regardless of the endings, there are 100 ways Bioware can move the series forward. After making a little stop letting you play as Batman-Garrus on Omega.

You know, I always wondered why I liked Garrus more in ME2, and I honestly never made the connection.

Garrus on omega was totally batman...albeit with guns and headshots.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Oh, for people looking to simplify their scanning woes:

-fly around the system (without using the scan pulse), listen for a "doot" like you get when you're near a planet/relay. If it's open space, you've found some ship debris/fuel.
-Try to get several planets in range of one scan pulse
-Space action pauses when you're "investigating" or orbiting/planet scanning. So even if the reapers are hot on your tail, you can still recover the Turian Space Widget #5 for your war asset score.
-Reapers start slow and accelerate as they move; you can't outrun them for long.
-When scanning a cluster, try to do just one circuit around the various systems, and scan the relay system last. You will ALWAYS have enough fuel to do this if you make sure to find the debris fields in each system (and don't waste fuel doing intergalactic donuts on the nebula's lawn)
-If you've scanned a planet but reapers spawn next to it and they're already pissed, leave the system, fly just outside it and re-enter the system from the side the planet's on. You'll respawn right on top of it if you do it right, and coupled with tip #3 you can collect it easily.
-When planet scanning, there's a white bar that points to the item in your crosshair. Obvious to some, but I missed this for the first dozen or so planets. Oops.
-You get a free tank of gas when you dock at the citadel. Save your credits for models, fish, and guns.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 14, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, well, some people feel cheap save scumming.

Of course I'm not one of them so that's usually what I did, but if you're going to do that you don't really need any other tips, do you?

Plus there's a minor thrill to be had in pissing off the reapers while still making off with all the system's discoverables, as you flip them off while peeling out. :c00l:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

So, am I right - the Priority missions never expire/fail if I do all of the side missions first instead? I remember reading about some mission regarding Wrex expiring, and you getting an e-mail about it saying it was lost, but I can't remember if it was a Priority mission.

The ones explicitly labeled "priority" do not expire. Anything else is fair game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

doo doo thief posted:

You probably want to get a bonus power to better deal with armor as the later game's banshees and brutes are kinda tough for Vanguard (at least judging from my VG multiplayer experience). So talk up Garrus or Vega for AP Ammo or Carnage respectively.

Energy Drain from Tali's conversations could also be nice for stripping cerberus shields and giving you a second shield restoring ability or maybe one of the fortification abilities to stay alive and A.B.C. errrday.

I think I got the bonus power : character matchups correct, but someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong and or stupid.

AP ammo ability gives you more damage, and the penetration mod 'for free' for all guns--you can shoot through a meter of cover at high levels! Really useful for sniper and scoped guns, and gently caress guardians.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

For the Unwavering achievement which is "Finish all multiplayer maps on Gold or all single-player missions on Insanity." Does that mean I need to finish all the Cerberus missions or what? I really don't feel like doing Grunt's mission with the Rachni queen. I hate those things that shoot out missiles. They cut down my shields with one shot.

Ravagers. Shoot their sacs (the fleshy bags) and that keeps their swarmers from spawning. They're a bit tough, but warp, AP/Incendiery ammo, and focus fire take them down fast.

Also, if there's a regular enemy (husk, marauder, etc) next to them you can set up a biotic explosion (pull+warp, warp+throw, singularity+warp/throw, etc) and take a huge chunk of health that way. This technique is really a basic crowd-clearing method that's so brutally effective there's even a datapad describing it in game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey, I got a question regarding ME1: How is it that Anderson knew that the Saren in Shepard's report is the same as the spectre Saren. Granted he knew that Nihilus was familiar with Saren, but it could still have been someone different. It seems rather reckless to go leveling treason accusation unless you know for sure yourself that it's the same guy. I mean, imagine the egg on everyone's faces if instead of going into villain monologue mode, Saren's response was "Goddamnit, this is the 3rd time this cycle! I'm not the only Saren in the galaxy!"

Minor spoiler, but Anderson worked with Saren before and is familiar with how...unconcerned Saren is about collateral damage, so accusing him of attacking a colony probably didn't come hard for him.

Now how they knew it was Saren on Eden Prime...that I forget, offhandedly. I believe they just had circumstantial evidence, which is why the council laughs it off, but given his history Anderson finds it far more credible.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Spacebump posted:

What happens if the Normandy runs out of fuel when you are flying to different systems?

You appear in the system with the mass relay with 0 fuel.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Is there any guide anywhere that would explain the various options in Gibbed's editor? I'm trying to figure out what some of the flags mean and stuff like "BlbGtl" is kinda arcane. "bulbous GTL"? "be like bob, go to liara"?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

drat, that indoctrination video makes some real salient points.

If this is what Bioware intended (ha!), the ending wasn't even half-finished by ship date, making this the most incomplete game this side of KOTOR 2.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

How do tech combos work? I know biotic combos are set off by charging with one and then setting it off with throw or warp...is it just "cryo/pyro blast" then overload?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Kelly is the punching bag of ME. No matter what you do, she will end up dieing horribly.

Nah. Everyone knows the real punching bag of ME is Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani. :shepface:

Kelly is just the "Butt Monkey" in the TVTropes sense of the word. Paralyzed, dragged into a claustrophobic cocoon, forced to watch people liquification, if she survives she's on the run, then rounded up by husked shock troops of her former org and shot in the face.

Oh, and she doesn't count as a ShepRomance, meaning she's even less of a character than Allers.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 23, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Elysiume posted:

In that case the Shadow Broker's agents can wait, and I'll head over to Grissom. Kind of weird that I had to hear about the agents from Barla Von.

"Discovery" pickups and citadel visits don't count as missions, and the only timers are for actual missions done/priority missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Banjodark posted:

Wrong.

The citadel has three-four main phases in the game. After the tuchanka sequence a whole selection of side quests there will lock out, it's wise to do a huge chunk of scanning and side quests and turn them in before curing the genophage. After the citadel attack quite a few npcs will be gone and the quests cannot be completed. A new phase of sidequests kicks in.

I meant more in terms of the "timed" missions. You can visit the citadel as many times as you want and still make Grissom Academy on time. Naturally, advancing the main plot via priority missions will lock out the various citadel phases.

• Locked thread