Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You forgot to post the most important thing in the OP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUO_5EALZoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ravana posted:

The BOC title is nice and all, but this really, really needs to be the thread title.

Yes, but see the BOC title has history going back at least a year!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ravana posted:

You are a monster if you cannot understand the glorious martyring of the Holy Lady of the Vanguards.

That is why we must have a thread title that both condemns the reaper indoctrinated classical rock band* and acknowledges the glory of Our Lady.

*Perhaps cowbells are reaper indoctrination devices?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thetrin posted:

Emily Wong died over Twitter 45 min ago.

To the inspiration of vanguards and CNN anchors alike.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I'm having a conversation with Liara right now and my head is turned all the way to the side, staring at her bed. It is hilarious.

edit: ok now both of them are staring the other direction, towards the droid. This is a strange conversation.

I think in that conversation they're both tracking the drone around the room. It's pretty funny, probably a stuck script state or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DMBFan23 posted:

I have heard a lot of talk about Insanity on this game being harder than ME2, but I feel the opposite so far - yes enemies have better AI and more tools (grenades :argh:), but so do you.

I thought the same thing before I realized it was probably because I was on squads clearing gold in the demo so I knew how the combat system works and how to break the game with biotics. Adept + Liara = Singularity AND bubble stasis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avocados posted:

I think this bothered me the most. The pre-rendered cutscenes were really fuzzy too. They would mix them in with really important scenes and it really made some portions feel weird. I wish they did way with it.

Its not quite as bad as DX:HR, but its equally jarring. I like the magical switch between your correct weapons and the base assault rifle in the cut scenes. I assume they're to cover streaming/loading.

Also, how hard would it really be to have slightly different cutscenes for biotics? You don't even need different VA work, just a couple scripting changes. For example, theres one time (vague for no spoilers) where a pair of asari jump down a floor using the biotic landing thing while you walk around and take the stairs. If you're a biotic why don't you just do that too? You can even have a funny scene where you and Liara/other biotics in squad do the same thing and a nonbiotic teammate rolls their eyes at you for showing off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Have they ever acknowledged Shep's class in any way in any of the games? I always thought this was a missed opportunity in general -- my Engineer Shep could occasionally have an idea of her own and not depend on Tali / EDI for tech stuff, an Infiltrator Shep could use cloaking in some awesome renegade interrupt... all sorts of stuff. I suppose it would draw even more attention to the cutscene / gameplay divide, though: if infiltrator Shep cloaks once in a cutscene to get the drop on someone, why doesn't she do it all the time?

Kaidan comments on your biotics in ME1, though the scripting is a little bugged and he sometimes says the biotic line for a nonbiotic and vice versa.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

Thanks. What do you mean by "5000 or higher in the worst case", though? Is that a roundabout way of saying that 5000 will get me the best, most difficult to receive ending?

2800 effective for all ending options. So 5600 at 50% strength.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Veotax posted:

Hell, people were pulling files and information about Kasumi out of the ME2 disc months before that DLC was even announced.

And interestingly the cinematics and such were there but the actual character model wasn't. It makes sense that it they were both "half done".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Noxville posted:

It would have been easy to simply make the screen extensible so that any other characters they add could lot in, and that statement that I quoted just rubs me completely the wrong way because it's transparently bullshit.

Its not necessarily a lie. Never say that something "would have been easy to" when dealing with 7+ year old code bases. One bad design decision 7+ years ago could make things complicated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can you ever get your health/shields high enough that grenades aren't one hit kills on insanity? Just started with a vanguard; charging and landing on a grenade is really putting a damper on the ABCs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mymla posted:

I think shamus makes some good points about how bad ME3's plot is, but he's also an incredible sperg who spent literally months writing nitpicky essays about video games.

Dunno what he wrote about ME2, since that's a fun game and I don't want to read bad things about it.

He wrote that 90% of ME2 owned.

Unfortunately that other 10% was the main story quests.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Things that owned in Mass Effect (partial list)

Mordin (all)
That mission where you talk to a PTSD survivor
Calling mom
Suicide Mission (mission)
Suicide Mission (song)
"Joker, get us out of here!" (all variants)
Storytime with Wrex
Storytime with Zaeed
The Hammerhead when you don't have to fight anything and can just tool around in it
The pleasant surprise that is James Vega
Any time Javik says something mean

The suicide mission is the only "main story" content you mentioned here. I would add Ilos/climbing the citadel to parts that owned but that completes the entirety of the good main story content. Well, hanging up the council is main story I guess so add that too. The entire problem with ME2 and 3 is that the main story goes from disconnected from the previous game at the start of ME2 to completely incoherent and contradictory by the end of ME3. Hell, based on ME1, the beginning of ME3 should've been the "Critical Mission Failure" screen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

khwarezm posted:

With or without Udina the vast majority of the Citadel's population, politicians and security are not humans and its pretty clear a lot of the humans there would have nothing to do with them on any level, there's a bunch of C-sec humans blasting away at Cerberus when they attack. How was it even meant to go down? Hmm, the entire council was just killed by a notorious terrorist, human supremacist collective, except for the one human, who himself is a notorious human supremacist! OH WELL, I GUESS HE'S IN CHARGE NOW.

Also I don't buy the stealth explanation because stealth doesn't work that way, in universe or otherwise.

I find this sort of thing annoying in Mass Effect because its the kind of series that puts on airs about being more 'serious' sci fi than most videogames, and generally seemed to try to hold itself to some kind of standard where there was at least an explanation for most things. This was never really expunged from the game's DNA, hence you have ill advised things like an in-universe attempt to explain why everyone has to reload their guns now. If this was a game like Doom nobody would care, but Mass Effect sets itself up to be a series where the world building and story matters, until it doesn't, because we need to find a way to crowbar in my anime ninja. Its trying to have its cake and eat it and it does not work.

One of the big problems with ME2/3 is that apparently the Citadel's population, politicians and security are now mostly human? I mean, thats what you are shown in game at least. The invasion of the Citadel is the worst part, its all humans with a pair of token alien hostages.

The in universe explanation for thermal clips was especially dumb considering they completely changed the way biotic and tech powers worked without the same sort of explanation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The PTSD sequences make more sense if you lost squadmates on the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2, and in fact many permutations of ME3 are kind of more interesting if certain characters are dead. It's just that people will rarely ever see them because it's very easy to always ace the suicide mission and not having everybody survive involves either not playing the game or deliberately being a dumbass.

Its easy to lose someone on the "hold the line" section if you don't know mechanics.

Really if you ace everything you should have unlocked a tribute to the temp party member that dies in the first 5 minutes of every Bioware game. (Except ME3)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

It's not less than half a year. Everyone has been placing it around March next year.

Christmas next year seems more likely if they're still only teasing. If it's March this is the closest E3 to it. The video was just "yes we're still making a mass effect video game"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Please tell me Ryder is the child of Shepard and your "character creation" is just choosing the sex of your Shepard and who they boned.

Asari player character confirmed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Theodicy (n) the study of why, since Mass Effect owns, it contains Kai Leng.

While odd that they ended the series with a multiplayer only title, I still feel that ME3 was worth the $60.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

ME3 was great until the ending, which was so bad that it made you forget about how cool the game was.

The ending was so bad that it negated everything before it. Geth/Quarian stuff for example - you have this nice self contained side plot that is contradicted by the ending.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I wouldn't say rotten exactly but it is a little odd that they did all that worldbuilding and can only now use some of it (races, tech, certain visual styles)

I mean think of all the cool planet descriptions in the original trilogy that they're never gonna get to explore now.

Well, they did destroy our galaxy. Or not. I dunno what the final retcon was precisely, I stopped messing with single player ME3 after one run through and apparently they still crashed on that stupid planet so I guess everything is still hosed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

That's probably just the CineD talking. Every recent popular film is a scathing marxist critique of consumer culture, you say?

But SuperMechaGodzilla is amazing! Maybe he can explain how the ME 3 ending makes sense and is thematically appropriate. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Wrong, actually. Just because I go around telling everyone that my toaster is a person doesn't mean it is murder if I smash my toaster with a sledgehammer.

For your philosophy to be internally consistent you should consider that murder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Hell, you could do this with Invisible War. Destroy/Omar, Control/Illuminati, Control/Templars, Synthesis/Denton.

Its best not to do anything with Invisible War.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good to see the rock getting cast in more comedies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It was true before they patched it specifically to force you to be more mobile, which happened in October 2012.

Though it was still always about getting them together in chokepoints for sick combos.

The funniest thing about ME3 multiplayer is if you were ever foolish enough to click on single player again all the combat encounters were a complete joke. Oh no, a banshee? poo poo, thats nothing, call me when 3 more show up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

But aren't they claiming release early next year? Shouldn't they be beyond pre-alpha?

What are they, Star Citizen?

Pre alpha is everything up until formal testing begins. An alpha is everything up until feature completion, a beta is feature complete. Depending on their testing definitions, alpha->beta->gold could be relatively fast compared to the majority of the time spent in "pre alpha".

Seems weird that they didn't show a full vertical slice though, should've at least taken a pot shot at something to show some particle effects in engine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lotish posted:

Whichever sibling you're not playing is going to make the heroic sacrifice so the stakes can get personal and importing to the second game is easier.

I wonder if the sibling you're not playing is going to still have blank protagonist syndrome of if they're going to be a rounded out character; like, am I going to start playing as Fem-Ryder and find that boy-Ryder is a cool guy to have around, and then never want to play as guy Ryder because Fem-Ryder is a stick in the mud I can't stand?

I thought this was supposed to be DA:I not DA2

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EA is merely taking their time because they can't come up with something stupider than Square Enix's "Augment your preorder" thing. I'm sure EA will figure something out though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, maybe ME:A will have four colors to choose from.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Much like Spectres. Funny, that.

Also grey wardens, spirit monks and jedi.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

if it's at the start of the Reaper War there's likely no Quarians and definitely no Batarians or Geth in the arks

Why no Quarians? They're the only ones with experience building garden ships.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

They're fighting the Geth at the start of the Reaper war.

Not for the entire time frame that the construction project would've required.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

No, but until you resolve the Rannoch situation all Quarians are going to be busy prepping for the war against the Geth, which is why Tali doesn't join your team until then. And if the arks launched after Thessia they'd probably be too busy to hitch a ride with the Turians to a new galaxy because they just got their home back in this one. If getting their home back is more important than fighting the reapers I don't see them packing up and moving to a new galaxy. I would be really surprised if Quarians or Geth are in MEA

The Quarians, more than any of the other races, have not been portrayed as a monolithic entity. I guarantee you there will be at least one Quarian character. Whether its someone stranded on their pilgrimage or entire ships worth of NPCs remains to be seen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

the Towers of Hanoi machine from Citadel would be the ultimate camouflage

Hidden behind one of the water pitcher puzzles. Also maybe a fill in the missing operator puzzle just to be safe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sassassin posted:

How is it a subplot?

What percentage of gameplay time is spent on collector stuff?

Never mind that compared to the stories in 1 and 3 the plot of 2 is practically irrelevant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How do they manage to make space exploration look so dull?

By only showing out of context combat and action sequences that look exactly like the previous games.

Hell, the first little bit looks just like the prologue of ME2 with the protagonist being ejected from his destroyed ship. Only this time you just wake up and brush yourself off after landing instead of being burned to a crisp and being reborn as a cyborg.

EA marketing appears to be completely independent of development so I wouldn't worry... yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

-Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics
-Goal is to allow players to try different approaches to combat without being locked in at the start
-However, you can still specialize once you invest enough points into a category of skills, you unlock a profile that can get you bonuses for your particular play style
-This is where class names like "Vanguard" (invest in combat and biotics) and "Adept" (invest in biotics) resurface

"There are no classes"
"There are classes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I still don't like the idea that the arks leave before the events of ME3. Forget the endings...does this mean all the significant strides we made in that game just don't matter anymore? Are all the quarians we bring with us still stuck in their suits? Are our krogans still sick with the genophage? None of our asari will know the truth about their goddess? I don't care if they throw out the poo poo endings but what about the rest of the game?

Gonna gently caress this

None of those decisions ever mattered because the ending of ME3 made them irrelevant. ME3's ending was so uniquely terrible it makes the rest of the game not matter in the least.

• Locked thread