Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Annakie posted:

RIP Emily Wong! :cry:

I'm gonna avenge the gently caress out of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

How do I use a Mass Effect 2 save? I don't have ME2 on this computer but I created the directory structure and put one of the ME2 saves from masseffectsaves.com in it, but ME3 isn't detecting it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

So I'm not very far in the game, I'm doing Aria's missions on the Citadel and one thing that's really starting to frustrate me is how little information I have about what I'm supposed to do. It tells me to go to talk to people who aren't where it says they are, I'm expected to fly out to a specific planet to find a specific artifact just because a character said "bring me any interesting artifacts you find" but it never told me that, etc.

In Mass Effect 1 the mission entries in the journal always had multiple steps and changed as you went through the mission. Now it seems like they're just really vague static descriptions. Is there a way to access more information on mission objectives? I keep having to pause the game and go look up help and it's hell of annoying.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Haha what the gently caress I'm playing the Genophage cure mission and these brutes that keep double-spawning as I am trying to fix the hammers are kicking my rear end around the block. If I try to fight them I run out of ammo and I die. If I try to run past them they charge me and I die. Is there a secret to this?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Do we know if it's possible to enable the dev console in ME3 yet? I had a lot of fun in the other two games flying the camera around and stuff.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Question: once I've gotten full galactic readiness via multiplayer, do I get the points from that in every playthrough, or do I have to do it again each time? Does it apply across multiple careers?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I don't think I'm ever taking Liara on a mission again. I romanced Tali in ME2 and I committed to Liara before going to the dreadnought. So I brought Liara along to see if Tali and them would fight over me or something. Liara dies every other second.

At one point, I had no ammo and there was none around and I was fighting Geth Primes. So I kept on spamming Tali's combat drones, Liara's warp and I was using Carnage. I was getting nowhere so I just put my tactical cloak on and ran through all of them and it cut to the next scene. Thank god.

I usually leave her on the ship anyway because Liara as a combatant doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It gets handwaved in the first game with "sometimes there are pirate raids, I can handle myself" as if that qualifies her to be in a squad full of ex-special forces operatives.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you that the DLC will let you TAKE BACK OMEGA and explore the other two star systems you can interact with and ping off their relays but never visit, and will have nothing to do with the ending.

Whoever said that in the ME3 Spoiler thread is right: if we want an ending that isn't a steaming pile of poo poo straight out of Mac Walters' rear end, we're gonna have to do a Goon Project ourselves. And I was only half-kidding when I said it there: were we to actually attempt this, I would gladly offer my services in both storyboarding/writing and audio shenanigans. I can't even program a scrolling camera on a 2D plane, and the last time I touched 3D modeling was when 333mhz computers were luxury top-of-the-line professional products, but still, I bring to the squad what I can bring to the squad.
I don't think the Mass Effect games are moddable. Unless you're talking about making a whole new game.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

So about that Battlefield Soldier you get in multiplayer, didn't they advertise it as "fully customizable"? Because mine has this bizarre camo skin with a glowing orange splotch on the side, like they wanted to make him look like the guy on the Battlefield box covers. Did they just lie or did I miss something

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

So when I finish the game and it kicks me back to before the penultimate mission, how do I do a NG+? Do I just do new game and then load that last save?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Haha god dammit, I'm doing a NG+ and I can't kill Dr. Eva in the little charge thing. I have a shotgun, the sticky bomb pistol, and that really slow semi-automatic rifle, which takes her down to 1 health bar and then doesn't do any damage. I've died like 10 times now, this is terrible.

Tried it with the shotgun too, once she's down to one health bar she doesn't lose any more health even from direct hits. Is this a bug?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I've never used the sticky bomb pistol. Is it just that it doesn't do enough damage in time before she reaches you?

The first time I went through that sequence I tried to switch from the pistol the scene started me with to my shotgun, but the slow-mo weapon switch took so long that by the time I had the shotgun up Eva had knocked me to the ground and stabbed me in the face.
Yeah, she kills me before the sticky bombs go off.

The AR and the shotgun can get her down to one health bar and then I have time to get off one last shot, which so far has not gotten rid of that last health bar, and then I die.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Even on insanity you only have to shoot her like 3 times with a pistol before the cut scene triggers, not sure what you are doing. Just use whatever gun is in your hands when the scene starts. In my game it forces a pistol into my hands instead of the AR I was using. You don't actually kill her health bar, it just takes like 2-3 bars off and the cut scene kicks in. Again, try shooting her in the head instead of her body. Every time I've done that part 2-3 shots in the head drops her on insanity.
This is what I'm doing. I made a video, so you can share my pain. Also this is on Casual.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Man I don't know. Any chance you could find an earlier save prior to a time you pick up a weapon so you can change your loadout to a conventional pistol? That's what I'd try doing.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to restart the whole Mars mission. :smith:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Crum Bong Shuffle posted:

Ending question: I've maxed out my reputation bar thing and have full paragon but at the end of the conversation with the Illusive Man, both options were grayed out. Do I somehow not have enough morality points or reputation or were there other requirements that needed to be met as well?

You have to paragon him in every conversation in the game. Some are buried in investigate.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

So I only reently realized the Widow and Black Widow are two different guns. How are they different from each other?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Does it deal the same damage?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just tried the Falcon for the first time. I have a new favorite gun.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Has the thread seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzHqQbz78-s

It's surprisingly good!
I guess all those rappers from 90s nu-metal bands had to go somewhere.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

gibbed posted:

Correct. The bits I looked at show that it looks for a henchmen with the following preferences: best friend, good friend, sidekick, true love (not necessarily in that order).
Do you know how it determines "best friend?" Is it based on how many conversation trees you complete or something?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Banjodark posted:

A fun hint to add to the front page:

MARS MISSION: SLO-MO SEQUENCE
Due to lovely design mechanics, it is recommended that you equip shepard with a fast-firing heavy pistol for this section of the game. Make sure it is fully loaded before you finish the Doctor Eva chase sequence. Otherwise you will be stuck reloading your gun during the slow-motion element of the fight.

if your gun fires too slowly (a carnifex, paladin, the scorpion are good examples) you may not have enough time to kill her before she reaches you due to the slow firing rate of the weapon.

this is essentially the most loving stupid thing I've come across in this game. Yes, I had to reload an earlier save because I thought the paladin would be 'fast enough' for this, but clearly 3 headshots is not enough and I dont have time for 4.
Yeah, I encountered this with the scorpion. Had to restart the whole mission because I didn't have any saves before the weapon table.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but after I finished Tuchanka, Garrus and Joker were up in the cockpit, each telling jokes about the other's species. "How many humans does it take to restart a dormant mass effect relay?"

Why are there nuggets of greatness like that, and then huge stretches of nothing but, "Commander." So uneven.

They tend to put the on-ship content (dialogue cutscenes, etc) right after the big story missions, and the lighter "push to hear soundbite" stuff after minor missions.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Calypso Hippo posted:

If you stand still and fire your laser targets much quicker than if you are moving.
It took me like eight deaths before I realized this. I wanted to die.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

iodine posted:

I think where we differ is in the idea that there is something like best and worst art. To me it's like this. You've got this team of writers, real people. They spend years working on this thing and they're probably pretty proud of it. They push it out and some people like it and some people hate it but because people who are upset are always more vocal than those who are happy and because there's this huge forum in the internet where these upset people can be very vocal... well, there's the mob.

And some suit who monetizes creativity sees it and forces change. It's kind of a bad precedent. I think. I really don't think this fiction would have been altered unless Bioware thought they would lose money if it wasn't.

But like I said, probably inevitable anyway.
Amongst all the obscenely pandering character designs, IGN hookups, exclusive preorder DLC, and merchandise tie-ins with no quality control, adding extra scenes to the ending after a massive outcry is "monetizing creativity?" Cmon son!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Cheekz posted:

Jeesus, i'm still surprised they gave into the masses and changed the ending, sure it sucked balls but poo poo stand by your work.
Standing by your work that sucks is the first step toward making more work that sucks. There's a reason they do everything they can to beat the notion of art-as-extension-of-the-artist out of kids in (good) art schools.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

It's trying to protect you from the stupidly loud mass relay cutscenes.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So here's a thing: that bit near the start where you get charged down by Dr. Eva will force you to use whichever pistol you have equipped. The acolyte can't do enough damage to her in the time you get, so if you equip the acolyte during that mission, it's impossible to proceed.

I had some problems with this as well.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

VirtualStranger posted:

One of the places it's really noticable is whenever one character cuts off another on in the middle of a sentence. Instead of the Character 1 interjecting while Character 2 is speaking, Character 2 will stop speaking right in the middle of a sentence and then about a second later Character 1 will begin their line.
Yeah, this is pretty much the worst. I think it might be because ME only allocates one audio channel for dialogue? So they can't have more than one character speaking at any given moment.

The conversation pacing IS a little slow, although I think most of the people in this thread have played ME so much they're used to it by now. Honestly what annoys me more is how longwinded the dialogue tends to be. I found that in Mass Effect 2, if I just hit space after each character finished their first sentence (skipping the 1-3 sentences that followed), 90% of the time the cutscenes made just as much sense. That's a lot of unnecessary babble.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Is this one of those ones that requires TexMod? Because it's worth noting that there's a huge performance hit when you play ME games with TexMod, I never had trouble with ME2 but just swapping out one or two textures had my game chugging seriously.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hey guys, I just finished playing Mass Effect 2 on the Xbox (I'd always played it on PC before) and it was pretty cool except I encountered what seemed like a plot bug or something. I did the last few missions in this order:

Reaper IFF>>Legion's Loyalty Mission>>Collector Base

And I thought that would have me set to save the whole crew, but when I got to the collector base Kelly and half the crew died. I thought I was supposed to have 2 missions between the IFF and the Collector Base and I only did one. Are there certain circumstances where the crew will die anyway, or did the game just gently caress up?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

etjester posted:

Did the crew get abducted before you did A House Divided?

You can do up to two mission after getting the IFF, but only if you have other unfinished missions already in your journal. If not, the Collector attack will trigger when you access the galaxy map. Once that happens, doing any missions, even Legion's loyalty mission, will get half the crew killed.

Ohh nuts, I think I talked to Legion and triggered his mission after the crew got abducted. I had no idea that was a precondition, haha. Thanks!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

epenthesis posted:

People have really taken the "up to two missions" rule to heart in unhelpful ways. It wouldn't make sense for that to be the mechanic--the crew's just been kidnapped and you're going to go gently caress around with Legion for a while? It shouldn't be a surprise that you don't get there in time.
A lot of game mechanics don't "make sense" because games are simplified, mathematical approximations of real life and trying to predict their behavior based on "what would happen in real life" is not going to get you very far.

I mean, it's fine to ignore that stuff if you want heightened verisimilitude or something but that doesn't mean other people aren't going to talk about how the rules of the game actually work.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I wrote two novels about how you made your game wrong, Bioware, here's my contact info if you want to send any job offers :smuggo:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I wonder if releasing this under his real name has torpedoed his chances of ever working in the games industry :(

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

i just got started on this and, on page five, khalisah al-jilani romance what the gently caress

also, why can't i copy and paste from this document?

Scribd probably has that as some kind of copyright protection, I awno. We can still retype the best parts though!

quote:

ME3V gives Liara a badass trench coat, fingertip-less gloves, and a light armor-plating on her mid-section. Liara has crossed over to the dark side and nothing says "dangerous" like a black trench coat!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

No playable aliems, boo.

The new Mako does look a little less Syd Mead than I'd like, but sci-fi is so oversaturated with Syd Mead knockoffs at this point that it might not be the worst thing.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

etjester posted:

Yes it is. Nos Astra is the city you visit in the second game.

I don't think he meant literally!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I think there needs to be a planet that's shaped like a donut.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I think the most Bioware way to handle it is let you load your save and then have a character mention friendly Reapers doing something, everyone have circuit overlays, or neither, and then have the entire rest of the game ignore it completely. Also they rebuilt the mass relays.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

If Shepard survived, s/he will send you an email wishing you good luck on your adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I hope they further develop armor customization for squadmates, I want to dress my gang in matching pink dudes again.

• Locked thread