Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
ME3 is better than the other two games. The conversations flow more naturally, the combat is better, and the writing is much better than the first two games. It's just that the ending is the last part of the game and is what I remember first when I look back on the game because it's the most fresh memory. Tuchanka and Rannoch were awesome and I loved the set pieces.

The only thing I don't like about the game is the ending. :negative:

Actually, the ending I was hoping for was one were Shepard settles down with [insert LI here] and sits in his/her underwear watching tv. In the beginning of the game when the Crucible goes under construction I though to myself, "Too bad Shepard is going to die heh :smug:." I was technically right but, I got the "perfect" ending on my first go where Shepard lives. It's not so much that I think it's the "good" ending but, all the choices stupid instead of "hard moral choices." The game had the Geth plot of them gaining life through the Reaper tech. Destroying the Reapers invalidates the whole geth plot and fucks over the Quarians who were being helped out by the geth. Controlling the reapers goes against all the sacrifices made throughout the course of the journey. The evolution path doesn't make any loving sense and is incomprehensible to me. They're all bad and I think people are counting destroying the reapers as the best ending because Shepard coming out alive is the only good thing to come out of all the endings. I destroyed the reapers because that was the whole goal. I was unaware that Shepard had a chance of coming out alive and in my game he did. The endings really are terrible.

Also when you're charging for the beam and wake up, I looked around for the body of my squadmates only to find them absent. They were aboard the Normandy in the ending so I guess Joker flew in front of a Reaper, picked them up and then traveled through a mass relay because???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Wizard of Wang posted:

Can someone please explain the galactic readiness to me? Do I only get readiness from multiplayer? Also without spoilers will it significantly effect my endgame?

Galactic readiness affects endgame. You get the GR up by collecting war assests. You get these naturally by making decisions throughout the game and from decisions you made from the first two games. You also get them by scanning for resources when navigating systems and by completing side quests. Multiplayer does increase the score but, it's not necessary. It does get pretty hard without doing it if you want to reach 100%. I think I got to about 85% without it and I was still missing a few resources since I only scanned pretty late in the game.

Edit: If you do piss off reapers while scanning. Do a mission and then the reaper alertness will reset. If you found something while searching but, didn't get a chance to collect it, it will still be marked on the map. A good strategy is to scan every spot in a system quickly and then leave before the reapers get you. Do a mission and then come back to collect since they don't disappear. Saves time and makes scanning a lot easier.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 10, 2012

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

User0015 posted:

I didn't purchase the From Ashes DLC. If I do, can I do that at this point in the story? How important is it?

You can do it at any time I think. I don't know what the game is like without him though.

He gives a lot of insight into Prothean life and how the universe is following a cycle. Your squadmates talk to him so you miss out on quite a bit of dialogue. I think it's worth the money.

I took him with me on Thessia since he is a Prothean. How does it play out if you don't take him? He convinced the Asari commando to help by melding information about her and using that to convince her. Then when you get to the Asari artifacts and talk to Liara about them, he says how their goddess was actually Prothean and they just took pity on them and taught them to how to write. He even points out that the Asari goddess looks like Prothean and that she should see the resemblance between him and the statue. Liara eventually shuts him off by saying something like, "Do you know what you're implying? I'm not going to believe you." Then Javik says that she is deluding herself as were the other asari when the goddess started looking less Prothean and more like the Asari.

Eventually he says that there was something weird about the place before Shepard confirms that there is a beacon here. He then talks to the Prothean VI and remarks that the current cycle has earned the right to try and build the Crucible.

Such a good mission when you bring him along.

Edit:

Kin posted:

I'm currently doing the eden prime mission from the DLC and coming across a consistent game crashing bug.

It's immediately after i activate and watch the video of the Prothean era. The overall cutscene ends and then just as it's getting back to the gameplay it crashes. Same point every time. :/

Has that happened to anyone else?

edit: Google says yes. What an annoying thing to happen.

This happened to me too. I got through it by holding shift to bring up the power menu. Do it right before the point it crashes and it should go through just fine.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 10, 2012

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
In all the endings the Citadel is destroyed, the Mass Effect relays are destroyed, the Normandy crew crashes, and the Reapers are still around (just not a threat). If you pick the destroy ending, it seems like they simply deactivate instead of blowing up. Controlling them leaves them around except they follow Shepard's commands. In the synthesis ending they simply leave.

The more I think about it, the more it feels like Bioware ended the game like this to make room for sequels (keep in mind the trilogy is about Shepard and his/her story has ended), which is why the endings are very similar. I'm not against more Mass Effect games but, having really stupid endings to a trilogy many invested in is a terrible decision. In fact I don't think I'll buy future Mass Effect game if this is how they'll end. Disappointing and futile.

Source for potential sequels: Gamerzine

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

So..I'm about to do the assault on the Cerberus base/Illusive Man's HQ , whats the point of no return? Also I've religiously scanned planets in clusters and tried to do every sidequest but my EMS is still only 3435. Does it go up later on or am I essentially screwed out of the good ending? If so that's just bullshit. I imported a file from ME2, granted I didn't do overlord or arrival but everyone survived and I made the "right" decisions.

I can't get anymore N7 missions and I haven't gotten anymore sidequests. I'm tired of checking each cluster when they are at 75%, scanning for 40 seconds then VRMPHHHHHHHHHHHH and turning around, go back in and the last resource is fuel. Assets only appear on planets at least?

That is the point of no return. Guess you better play multiplayer. You should be fine without the multiplayer if you were doing a majority of the side quests (N7 missions and Citadel mini-quests involving artifact hunting and stuff).

Edit: For reference I played multiplayer like twice towards the end and ended up with easily more than 5K, which is the minimum for the "best" ending provided you don't meet the special requirement at the very end.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 12, 2012

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

So I was watching this (it's funny but whatever) and there's a woman at 2:15 and I know I saw her as an announced squadmate when they first started releasing info on the game. Was she cut?

That's Ashely. She got a makeover if you didn't recognize her.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Regarding those ME statistics:

I tried making a custom face in ME1 and it looked great in the creation screen. When I saw it in game I stopped and created a new game because it looked terrible (I don't think you can move Shepard's head in the creation screen to look for problems). I didn't want to waste time making another abomination so I went with the default look (which looks good on it's own). I didn't keep the save so I imported a save from the depository that had the default appearance.

I played Infiltrator in my first run of ME2. When I started another run, I switched to Soldier because I wanted to use guns (Infiltrator had a sniper, smg, and pistol; soldier had a sniper, shotgun, assault, and pistol). ME2 didn't have the combat improvements in ME3 so I spent most of my time just shooting my guns instead of spamming my powers. That was why I switched to Soldier. I stuck with it when I got to ME3. If I ever feel the need to play another class, I play multiplayer. The way I see it, Soldier has no strengths but, has no weaknesses. Also, time dilation makes you the Flash.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

messagemode1 posted:

You can, and boy howdy is it useful to avoid the exact situation you're describing. You can create a lot of weird monstrosities that are not obvious until you turn the head sideways.

The problem that resulted was that the cheeks were kinda "caved in." It wasn't the only problem. ME1 was a pretty long time ago so I can't remember if I did in fact turn the head and just not notice. I don't think I did because my head is telling me that I tried to move his head with my mouse and nothing happened. I really don't remember. Doesn't matter since I think default shep is the best looking face anyone (I) can possibly make.

Nigulus Rex posted:

What is something useful I can spend my credits on? I'm about halfway in (main story wise, though I just picked up like 10 more side quests), and I have a little over 300k credits. I can't think of anything to spend them on.

Spectre weapons in the spectre office. You can also buy weapon upgrades in the armory of the Normandy in the left terminal near the weapon bench (not weapons mods, weapons upgrade like Avenger IV).

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Those are the only spectre weapons available. They each pack a punch but, are pretty heavy. Most of my money went towards buying weapon upgrades. I played Soldier and I used primarily my Assault Rifle, supplemented with a sniper rifle and shotgun. My loadout was:

Black Widow
Mattock
Disciple

I think you sit at around -70 or -80 weight if you haven't upgrade them at all. After I did some upgrades I got it down by a lot. I don't have the numbers from my first playthrough but, here are the numbers in my second PT:

Black Widow X
Mattock X
Disciple VII

I'm sitting at around +19 weight. You can only get up to V in upgrades on your first playthrough. The power cooldown will be pretty high if you roll with any spectre weapon (unless you upgrade). Keep in mind that other stats increase as well such as damage. I use the Black Widow for dealing damage to the tougher enemies like Brutes and Banshees. If you still have a lot of money around, try upgrading the weapons your squadmates use, you are a team after all. :v:

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

3Romeo posted:

Funny thing: I had no idea who that was supposed to be (or anyone at all) when I first met her. I just flagged her as working for the Fox News of the ME Universe and treated her accordingly.

Same here. I kept wondering what was up her face because it looked so weird. It wasn't until I finished the game that I found out it was supposed to be some game journalist from... somewhere? She got much more creepier after I found out.

Edit: I like the idea of having the press following you and informing the galaxy of your exploits. War Assets are actually modified based on what you say in the interview. It's just that they messed it up by creepily adding her as the journalist.

Edit2: gently caress it, they should have made it al-Jilani. You give her all the stories she needs but every time you talk to her you're given the option to punch her in the face.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 18, 2012

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Origin keeps verifying DLC content (From Ashes specifically) every time the game has to load the main menu. I lost my connection for a bit and I could not load any save that had content from the DLC. Is there any way to get it to not check every time I load the main menu or am I stuck with it? I was under the impression that it only had to verify it once but, apparently that is only for the main game.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Also dick move keeping the instant kills in singleplayer.

Yeah, I think you're supposed to be able to avoid them. One of the games loading screen tips mentions that you can break the sword from a phantom but, I haven't noticed any prompts indicating that you can break them.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Kifisonfire posted:

I was just roadie running from a banshee, Shepard decided to do a full 180 degree turn and straight into an insta kill move.

Did ME2 have this many enemies that can OHK you? I swear it's like the game actively wants me to not play Vanguard.

ME2 did not have instakill mechanics. A prompt to avoid OHKs would be nice (in singleplayer at least) but, as it is your only option is to stay away from them. The only way to avoid dying once you get caught in the animation is for the enemy to die or stagger. In any case, that is what you deserve for playing Vanguard. :smuggo:

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Morbus posted:

Are you sure? I tried incendiary, disruptor, and armor-piercing ammo and those all seemed to have the expected effects against the different targets...just not warp ammo.

The ammo powers work on them. I think Snicker means that damage comparisons can't be done with certain weapons because they can one-shot the targets. At that point, all you can really do is count how many targets you dispatch before the clip runs out. You still won't know how much stronger one weapon is compared to another. All you really know is that the weapons can do enough damage to one-shot a target with a single bar of health/armor/shields. Keep in mind most enemies in the game have a combination of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

It's probably not, you're just too hung up on everything on the bottom right of the dialogue box being OMG RENEGADE. The blue and red ones on the left, they're the ones you should worry about.

Saying 'No' to a quest wasn't always being renegade either, it was just...saying no.

Yeah, Renegade doesn't mean bad just as paragon doesn't mean good.

A House Divided demonstrates this well. Destroying the Geth Heretics gives you Rengade points but, if you want peace between Geth and Quarians you almost always need to do this. Re-writing them gives you paragon points but, wipes out more Quarians in ME3 and makes peace harder to obtain.

I generalize Renegade as decisive, aggressive, and self-promoting. I identified Paragon as appeasing, compromising, and empathetic. When I stopped subscribing to all Paragon in ME2 and went with what I thought was best, I ended up with a mix of Paragon and Renegade. They're not morally better than the other (they do change a lot throughout the series) but, they do have their advantages in certain situations.

• Locked thread