Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This is a Mass Effect 2 question. I was looking into what happens to some characters in ME3, and it turns out Kelly Chambers doesn't show up unless you did her minor romance tree from what I can tell. I think I may have chosen the middle ground of formality in the first little bit of the game, and the romance options don't seem to be showing up. Is there any way to fix that?

Unrelated, but getting the Viper after the Widow is just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SiliconX posted:

If memory serves, no, you're screwed. There's one trigger dialogue choice, something along the lines of "So you like aliens", and she goes on about liking all species and such. I think if you missed it, it's gone.
I picked that one (and she gave her "character, not race or gender" answer), but she's never fed the fish/had dinner. What's the chronology on that?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sentinel Red posted:

Just talk to Kelly after every squad mate joins the team and take any new left-hand dialogue option that pops up. Once you get Samara, you should be able to invite her to dinner, after which she'll offer to feed the fish for you next time you speak to her.

Banjodark posted:

You have to hit on her as well, and promise that you'll catch her etc. Basically you have to be gross and sleazy to her.
Well I got Samara a little while ago and did the flirting that I could, and there was no offer to feed my fish or have dinner. I feel like I missed the dialog choice when you pick up Garrus, but that was like...ten hours of play ago.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I realized that in addition to messing up the Kelly thing, there were a few other things that I'd like to have done differently. I don't really want to start over this soon (considering I clocked ~16 hours in like three days), but I started thinking about what I could choose for my starter data. And then I realized that I should just play ME1, which I've never actually run through. Is the face designing similar to ME2? I kind of want to try to remake my Shepard because I'm used to what she looks like.

Maybe I'll actually figure out who Saren is! :downs:

(watch me beat ME1 then screw up the Kelly thing in ME2 again like a champ)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

ME1's custom face creator is virtually identical to ME2's (and therefore to ME3's). You won't be able to make your character look exactly the same, if only because the hair types are a little different and the lighting engine was changed quite a lot for ME2, but if you copy the slider settings - ME1 doesn't create or accept face codes, unfortunately - the end result should be as close as possible. If you still have your ME2/ME3 face code, this may prove helpful.
Well I have my save files, but I don't know where my face code is in there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm not sure with the currently available tools to directly extract the code, so you may have to load up a save in ME2/ME3 and jot down the code it displays at the top left of the Squad screen.
Good enough for me. Once I get back to my desktop I'll get ME1 and try rebuilding Shepard.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How integral is multiplayer to ME3, and how likely is it to still be very populated when I finally get around to it in 1+ month(s)? I haven't really followed ME, so all I know is...what the endings are and that they suck.

Also that Jack is apparently a teacher or something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

ME1's custom face creator is virtually identical to ME2's (and therefore to ME3's). You won't be able to make your character look exactly the same, if only because the hair types are a little different and the lighting engine was changed quite a lot for ME2, but if you copy the slider settings - ME1 doesn't create or accept face codes, unfortunately - the end result should be as close as possible. If you still have your ME2/ME3 face code, this may prove helpful.
This won't run for me. I tried it on two computers and various compatabilities. If I give my code, could someone tell me what the program spits out? edit: Found the 64 bit one.

Also, how do I install Bring Down the Sky? The installer can't find it. I can't even register ME1 on the website, it looks like. There isn't an option for it.
edit: They don't have a link for it. I just changed the game ID until it went to Mass Effect. Aaand trying to put a key in there breaks it.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I thought it was 32 bit, and it turns out it was. There was a 64 bit version in the files section.

I have BDtS, but when I run it I get
code:
---------------------------
Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky Setup
Mass Effect is not found.

Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again.
OK   

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Playing ME1 is blowing my mind. Tons of skills? Massive amounts of weapons? Weapon mods? Ammo mods? The sniper crosshair has massive play? :psyduck:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I actually like ME2's way a lot more. Far fewer weapons, but the differences are more than statistics.

Took me a while to stop randomly throwing grenades. All of my instincts say hit R after a firefight.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kilson posted:

I had the same problem, had to add some registry keys to get it to realize I had ME installed.

Make sure you have this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect

Then add some new String values inside, for example:
Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect
language = en
Flavour = steam

If you don't have the Steam version, I'm not sure what you put for Flavour.

Also, if you're on Windows 7, you might have to manually put in the registration code into the registry, because that part fails.

Insert key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Bring Down the Sky\ergc

Then make the default value equal to the key: 3FLL43UUJTN8W8EX25J3

If the install fails, this key will be erased, so you might have to do it more than once.

When you get to the point where it complains about something crashing, just close that part and ignore, it should make it past with this registry stuff.
This gets is further, but it takes the CD key and then crashes. Turns out when it brings up the CD key window, you need to kill that process for it to actually proceed. It's similar to the name of the BDTS installer, but it mentions an unregistered code in the description.

Speaking of DLC, is there any recommended DLC for ME2/ME3?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 28, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Thanks. I'll probably get Kasumi, LotSB, and Overlord, since that adds up to 1920 points.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm kind of sick of side missions in ME1. Driving the Mako gets old. Which ones will actually affect me in ME2, or at all beyond just getting credits/exp/loot?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
ME1 romance question, since there's no much info. If I talked to Liara and she talked about melding but said "we should wait until things have quieted down," is that romance locked out? Kind of problematic since I sacrificed Kaidan.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Was this discussion here or elsewhere? Anyway, gaming scores seem to follow how scores work in the American grading system.
90-100: Good
80-89: Okay
70-79: Acceptable
60-69: Bad
0-59: Irredeemably terrible

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

deepshock posted:

This is why when I decide to review and rate a game, I tend to call it great, good, okay or lovely. No nonsense involved there, and what you see is what you get.
Without a quantitative scale, how will I decide which game to buy? :saddowns:

Turns out that the Mass Effect wiki lists what affects later games, so I can skip the particularly boring stuff if it isn't on there. Like tracking down all of the medals and stuff.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

Be sure to collect all the asari matriarch writings and get the Elkoss Combine license in ME1, though!
Aw, I do need to collect all of one of those? Bummer. Is there any way to check which licenses I have, or will I need to go check the merchants?

I know that LotSB is pretty much geared for after you hit the Omega 4 relay. When are Kasumi and Overlord aimed for?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Guess I'll get them all straight away and do Kasumi as soon as possible, then.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dwazegek posted:

LotSB really doesn't matter, and seeing as it gives a whole bunch of upgrades, you might as well do it as soon as possible. The only thing that changes if you do it after the end game is a few lines of dialogue when you invite Liara up to your cabin.

You can also just do the entire mission as soon as it's available, grab the upgrades and only invite Liara up after the end game, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Overlord really doesn't matter.

Kasumi I'd do as soon as possible, especially if you're playing a class that uses SMGs, as the locust is drat useful to have.
So you can just do it before the Omega 4 relay, wait, and invite her up after you hit the Omega 4 relay?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dwazegek posted:

Yep.
"Shepard can also invite Liara aboard the Normandy for a tour of the ship and to catch up. If Shepard refuses to have Liara come aboard the Normandy, she will sadly accept the refusal. When walking away she will stop to look at the Commander, only to have the Commander not look at her." That sounds like a downer. What actually changes if you invite her up after you hit the Omega 4 relay compared to before?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Geostomp posted:

She talks about Horizon and Shepard leaving to go through the Omega-4 Relay before and defeating the Collectors and Shepard leaving the fight the Reapers when they arrive after.

The Shadow Broker himself mentions the Collectors still offering a reward for Shepard's body before or mentions the value of the Reaper IFF on the Normandy being valuable for salvaging the Collector Base/remains of the Base after the mission.

dwazegek posted:

Going from memory here, so this might be off. There's some dialogue about how Shep feels about the upcoming suicide mission and the collectors, which changes to how Shep feels about the impending Reaper invasion if you do it after the relay.

It's a pretty minor change, but the general consensus is that the stuff about the Reaper invasion seems more fitting.

You could get both dialogue pretty easily though, if you just save the game, invite her up before the relay, then revert to that save, do the relay and then invite her up again.
Oh, so it doesn't really change that much if you do it before. Are there any effects for the longer term story if you do it before or after? If there's no actually story changes, I'll invite her up early on because quite honestly there's a chance I'll forget in the 20+ hours between LotSB and hitting the Omega 4.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why is a bug like that impossible to fix? Seems very odd.
This was a little while back, but fixing a bug can be anywhere from tiny to huge. Without seeing the code, you really have no way to be sure which one it'll be. It seems simple, though. Then there's everything involved with setting up and deploying the patch.
edit: The developer actually basically said this, now that I'm a bit farther in the thread. I saved Ashley (Kaidan was kind of boring and the lighting gets weird when you talk to him), so I guess I'll just need to get buddy-buddy with her if I make it to ME3 before a patch. edit: That dev is really polite. That's a nice change from what I'm used to--the Tribes: Ascend devs are unprofessional as hell.

Looks like it only affects ME3, though, and I'm still doing side missions in ME1. If I finish the third main story mission (Noveria/Virmire/Feros), I can still do some side quests before I get locked into the ending, right? Will doing Feros lock me out of anything? I know that something gets me banished from the Citadel but I'm not sure when, what, or why.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 30, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dwazegek posted:

You're locked out of the Citadel after doing the last of the 4 story missions (Therum counts as well). The order doesn't really matter, there's some (amusing) different scenes if you do Therum last, but nothing else.

Hank Morgan posted:

You get locked out of the citadel immediately after finishing the fourth/last planet so wrap up any side-quest involving that location before going there.
That alt dialogue is kind of a downer, but I've done Therum, Noveria, and Virmire. Guess I'll wrap my stuff up for the side quests I still want to do then wander over to Feros. After the four story missions any active romance proceeds, right? I had the melding speech and "let's wait till after Saren" from Liara a bit back.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Priority means story. It's the same as when you find out which hallway is the correct one and then go down every single other one first.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Ok so I'm traipsing around the Normandy and my head nearly exploded when I saw the memorial thing, so many names. :smith:

So gently caress THAT, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and pick up ME2. In regards to choices, what are the big ones anyway, in ME1 its just Wrex and the council right? There's more poo poo in 2 that carries over to 3?
Here's a big page for what gets changed via save file transfers. The only stuff I can see from ME1 that is important, i.e., more than a few soundbytes/emails:
  • What romance you do
  • Rescuing Kaidan Alenko or Ashley Williams during the Virmire mission.
  • Sparing or killing Wrex during the Virmire: Wrex and the Genophage confrontation.
  • Deciding the fate of the Council during the battle with Sovereign, and the nomination of either Captain Anderson or Donnel Udina to the Council.

Things that have medium story impact, i.e., actually changing the way people that are important behave:
  • Encouraging Garrus to be more paragon or renegade.
  • Helping Tali with her personal pilgrimage quest.
  • If the entire string of Cerberus quests (UNC: Missing Marines→UNC: Cerberus→UNC: Hades' Dogs) are completed, you can talk with Miranda about these activities, and will hear news reports about an investigation.

There are a lot of other little things, but I personally am skipping a bunch of them because bleh. If you don't want to play ME1, you can get a save file with whatever flags you want.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 30, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Mass Effect Saves. Pick your romance, then pick the save that has what you want.

I was exploring the ME saves website:

quote:

ME1 Decisions That Effect ME2
This list was taken from the Something Awful Forums Mass Effect 2 Thread
:haw:

Also, that list is better formatted than the one on the wiki. Not sure which is better, though. This one's just more readable.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 30, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sombrerotron posted:

I can see that. Apparently there's a bug that prevents them from being chatty in ME3 and even getting together if the one who died on Virmire in ME1 was Ashley, though, so you may want to take that into account.
Not only that, but you also need to be good friends with Ashley. This involves meeting her in the hospital, taking her on missions, etc. This also means that engineering will be quiet until you get Ashley, which is a ways into the game.

I haven't actually played ME3 so that might be a bit off.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Speaking of Kelly, I know that she doesn't affect an actual romance in ME2. If you had the semi-romance in ME2 (so she shows up in ME3), does re-romancing her in ME3 affect an actual romance in ME3?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

I saw that but I don't really understand the process of getting a PC file to work on my Xbox.
Oh...Xbox. Didn't really think about that. No idea there; sorry. :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This vanguard discussion is making me reconsider (again) doing infiltrator some more. Hiding behind things and shooting people is fun and all, but having more exciting magic powers seems like an interesting change of pace. How fun is adept? They have black hole or something.

(My runs have been 2x partial infiltrator in ME2, 1x most of an infiltrator in ME1)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

Adept loving rules. Pack a gun you like (my shep's rocking a sniper as an adept - no big deal) and always remember to warp your singularity/pull. You blow poo poo up left and right and look cool as hell.

The adept heavy melee is also very purple, if you like purple.

Cowcaster posted:

The adept's heavy melee doesn't have the slight amount of auto-aim that the other melee's have, and it doesn't do as much damage. What it does do is ragdoll just about anything without defenses, and if you've taken the force/power damage multiplying skills like a good adept should, lets your start your own manned space program one "volunteer" at a time.
Sounds cool. I'll give Adept a shot.

In spite of being 100% paragon (empty renegade bar, paragon bar is like 1.2 boxes short of full) I made Garrus more renegade.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm drowning in credits in ME1. "Gotta save up," I thought. "I want that Rich achievement so I start ME2 with more credits." I have 2.6m right now, and I buy every piece of Spectre-class gear I can find. Saving up ever was silly.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cowcaster posted:

Hang on to as much of it as you can. If you manage to hit level 50, Even Better Spectre gear shows up.
I'm level 41, and finishing up the last couple of things before my last story mission. I don't think I'll be hitting 50. I'll stop randomly buying stuff, though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any downside to having a split renegade/paragon? I'm finishing up ME1 with a full paragon bar (I have something like 40-60 paragon on top of that, too), but the issue is that I've been playing for paragon rather than the decision I want. Will I gimp my character if I get some renegade and paragon points? I'll be starting with a hefty chunk of paragon this time around in ME2.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The mass relay statue in the citadel isn't a statue, it's half of a working mass relay. :aaaaa:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Well, I finally beat ME1, only four years behind the times. That was a really great ending. Showed the universe that humans are team players. :toot:

I was thinking about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and how the storylines are actually really parallel.

In ME1, Shepard and her crew are trying to track down and kill Saren. Saren is working to placate the Reapers by subjugating all organic life. The Reapers kill organic life once it gets above a certain point, to prevent it from breaking things. In ME2-3, Shepard and her crew start to take the fight directly to the Reapers. The cost is high, but they succeed(ish).

In early TTGL, Simon and his crew are trying to track down and kill the Spiral King. The Spiral King is working to placate the Antispirals by subjugating all spiral (i.e., human) life. The Antispirals kill all spiral life once it gets above a certain point, to prevent it from breaking things. In later TTGL, Simon and his crew start to take the fight directly to the Antispirals. The cost is high, but they succeed.

Differences? At the end of TTGL, spiral life across the galaxy rejoices that they're free of the Antispirals. They start reaching out to each other, and the galaxy enters a golden age. Simon fades into obscurity, and the rest of the team breaks up to do non-war things. At the end of ME, organic life across the galaxy is brutalized and isolated with the destruction of the mass relays. Organics are trapped in their systems, and recovery will be slow and miserable. Shepard is dead (or something), and the rest of the team is dead (or something).

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 31, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dush posted:

Don't we only have solid evidence for one Reaper getting whacked in the galaxy's history? The derelict one you end up boarding in ME2? I haven't played ME3, for all I know there's ancient Reaper corpses by the dozen just scattered about. But it's possible they just never expected to take losses. After all, Sovereign alone and the Geth fleet were pretty much wiping out the fleet at the Citadel in ME1, and that's just with one Reaper.
Add to that the fact that Sovereign wasn't even expecting to get attacked, and it was busy interfacing with the Citadel. A surprise attack on a busy target.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LobsterTick posted:

I am pretty sure you should spoiler this poo poo.
I forget that not everyone knows it. I haven't even started ME3 and I know how it ends. :saddowns:

Dush posted:

By the way, do Liara or Ashley give a poo poo at all if you do Kelly's quasi-romance in ME2? Do they mention it in LOTSB or ME3?
I'd like to know this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Aristobulus posted:

Isn't it amazing how well received the ending to ME3 would've been if it basically directly copied TTGL? It even has the same gently caress YOU to the final boss that people wanted in ME3.
I actually looked up the ending to TTGL on youtube. Top comment?

quote:

How Mass Effect 3 should have ended...

• Locked thread