Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Decius posted:

Javik is a great character and he has some of the best dialogues with you and your fellow crew. You're deliberately locking yourself out of some really great stuff.

Javik is basically last cycle's Renegade Shepard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kasumi's quest is pretty funny, it's at least worth youtubing.

strangemusic posted:

The one about Shepard's dancing skills, during Jack's Citadel moment, I believe was pretty funny as well.
Cortez mentions it too. I had those conversations back to back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

Pretty much everyone praises the game from start until the last 10 minutes. Or well, i guess the beginning on Earth gets some deserved criticism, but starting on Mars its, in my opinion, one amazing ride.

Yeah. There are a few niggling complaints (lovely sidequest UI, that loving kid, the guy from Deus Ex), but aside from the ending it's one of the best games I've played for a while. But the ending stinks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LibbyM posted:

I definitely had a more than one conversation before she died on me. I assume the dialogue isn't in the first conversation since you didn't see it.
Yeah, there are several. I'm not entirely sure what the trigger is though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LobsterTick posted:

To be honest I like this kill organics to save organics idea more than the original dark matter plot from the leaked script.It just fits Sovereign's "you can't understand our purpose" thing much better.

You know what would fit it even better?

Not even attempting to explain their purpose.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BIG SPOILERS IN LINK

I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL2FIUi57Jw is the video you want.

E: Or see above. Holy hell, that one's even bleaker.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zedd posted:

Tali/Legion related spoiler:
Does this unit have a soul?

God drat that hit me like a sledgehammer. :(

The Quarian saying was the bit that did it for me there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I'll keep an eye out for "fuckup Shepard" playthroughs.

Yeah, a few of the videos I've seen made me wish I'd done a more disastrous playthrough of the previous games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SiliconX posted:

1. Adrenaline Rush - I specced this for as short a recharge time as possible but it's NEVER up it seems. I know the CD is triggered by other powers but that's the only one I use and there's been a few times where it's been far more than the 8sec CD but it's just started the CD or something. Is the CD triggered by other actions like melee or something? Squadmate powers? I'm not switching ammo powers or using MedPacks either.
Are you carrying a lot of weapons? Especially heavy ones?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

evilalien posted:

Yes, there is a limited number of credits in this one. Try not to buy more than one of the Spectre weapons or all of those 50K armors and you should be fine to buy/upgrade whatever you want.

By the end of my game I'd bought all of the armour, one Spectre gun, and the fish / ships, various upgrades, and I still had some left. Not enough to get a second Spectre gun though.

Gut feeling is that there's a bit less than 1M credits in the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bagrada posted:

For the first 99.5% of the game my only real complaint is what the hell is up with the scanner that forces you to pause, step, pause while moving out of the war room to the rest of the ship.

:ssh: It's a hidden loading screen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like the M-22 Eviscerator. It's pretty light, deals decent damage, and doesn't suck at range quite as much as some of the others. Only 3 shots per reload though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

VS?

Virmire Survivor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Really?I wanted to know why the Reapers reaped the galaxy.
The three games are based around the Reapers attacking the galaxy, it seems normal to find out why the hell they do that.

Part of the risk is that if the reason doesn't hold up to scrutiny then you've undermined the story. It can also reduce them as a threat; there's a difference between an unknowable, implacable force of nature and a bunch of bad aliens.

It's normal to want to know, but that doesn't mean the story would be improved by finding out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zedd posted:

I WILL DESTROY YOU. :byodood:
I liked the call-back to that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Smart Car posted:

Even if you don't tell him about the sabotage he'll want to check up on it to be sure himself, and if you try to talk him out of going up the tower he'll come to the conclusion that the tower has been sabotaged himself. Saying it earlier doesn't have any impact either way I believe.

It's still possible to convince him to not go up there, but only if you can lead him to conclude himself that curing the Genophage is worse for the universe... Which he'll only believe if Wrex and Eve died; Wrex you'd need to kill in the first game, and Eve dies if you choose not to save Maelon's data in Mordin's loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2.

There are lots and lots of permutations for that section. Some just change a few lines, some have Shepard shooting Mordin in the back, with him dying trying to reach the console.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

adamarama posted:

Just about to boot this up but have a few saves from ME2. Without story spoilers, what happens when you import an ME2 save where Shepard is the lone survivor? Do you get replacement companions? Or is there jsut more companion choice if everyone lives in ME2?

Don't you need at least 2 survivors in ME2 to live?

Some characters get replacements (like Wrex did in ME2), some just aren't there. It does make a difference though.

As for companions, Garrus, Tali, Liara and the Virmire Survivor are all potentially available, depending on choices made. Plus new people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

adamarama posted:

Cheers on the import advice, guys. I'm disappointed by the dearth of choice in main squadmates. Hoping this means there's a bit more depth this time around. I'll load up my "perfect" ME2 save to chill some of my old bros.
You can get up to seven squadmates, depending on stuff: Garrus, EDI, Liara, Vega, Tali, the Virmire Survivor and Javik the Racist Prothean. That's not including previous companions who show up in various missions.

There's a lot more squadmate chatter on missions now, and there's plenty of unique dialog during the downtime on the Normandy or the shore leave on the Citadel. Personally I think it's a step up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

kuddles posted:

- I can only assume the interface stuff came last in the dev cycle and they ran out of time, because nothing else explains the bizarre lack of info in the quest descriptions, and on one occasion flat-out wrong information on how to progress.
I still can't work out how they went backwards there.

The fact you can get quests but be unable to start or complete then until later in the plot is annoying too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I didn't leave a system til I'd scanned all the planets or found all of the sites. Only thing I'd be missing that way was fuel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you do this with Reapers chasing you from all sides?

I ran a lot. I mean I didn't fly off to another system, I'd just exhaust one before moving on. Nothing to remember that way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gordon Shumway posted:

Quick question though: I'm curious about the logistics behind this Battle Scarred achievement. From what I understand, once the multiplayer character is at level 20, an option appears to have him promoted to the single player game. However, if you pick this, that character is reset back to zero. Is this correct, or am I misinformed? Also, do you get to keep all the weapons and stuff you've found and the other characters you've leveled, or is everything reset?
Yeah, it's reset to zero. It's an easier way to respec your powers, since the actual cards that do that are rare.

You keep all your equipment; it's not tied to any particular character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Legion saying "Keelah se'lai" got me even more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Haledjian posted:

Question: once I've gotten full galactic readiness via multiplayer, do I get the points from that in every playthrough, or do I have to do it again each time? Does it apply across multiple careers?

Readiness is applied across all playthroughs, but it decays a few percent each day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's a pretty natural move for his character really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Doesn't forgive the utterly crass execution.
It was definitely executed poorly, but given part of the reason I put Udina on the council was because I thought Anderson would have been a poo poo politician, I didn't have a problem with the concept.

It's far from the worst bit of rail-roading in the series, at least for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Huragok posted:

Holy poo poo tali just threw herself of a cliff and the illusive man is on the citidel! Does that mean I'm near the end?
There's actually still a fair bit to go.

E: Wait, have you done Thessia?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Huragok posted:

Yep. Compared to other missions with less gravitas, that one seemed a bit short.

Ah, there's probably not that much left then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

On Rannoch, can you save Tali and Legion? I aced everything, but Legion had a problem uploading the Reaper upgrades to the rest of the Geth and had to send his programs directly back into the Consensus to get the upgrades out -- and now that I think about it, making each individual program a true AI would have screwed him up pretty utterly anyway. But still, Legion died and Tali lived, and it seems to have been the opposite for everyone else, so I was wondering if anyone saved 'em both.

Fairly sure you can't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, you can. The OP has instructions on how to make peace between the Geth and the Quarians.

Yeah, but that's not the same as keeping Tali and Legion alive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

After the Cerberus Base Attack, I talked to Traynor and she said something like "It's hard to understand, but I'm sure it'll sink in" then I replied "you're a credit to your uniform". Is this in reference to a conversation I missed or something? It sounded like she was promoted or given a different assignment I guess.

She was originally just involved with the Normandy refit, and didn't expect to be serving on the front lines. Some of the earlier conversations are about her uncertainty and excitement with the change.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vega was one of the things about the game that pleasantly surprised me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Javik also came from near the end of his cycle's war against the Reapers. Everything had gone to poo poo in a big way, and they'd pretty much lost. He says that in kinder times he might have been the enlightened philosopher that Liara was expecting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Again? When could you have Jack and Liara in the same squad before?

Lair of the Shadow Broker!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think it comes up in dialog later. Could be wrong though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Thought that was just you and Liara the whole time. Man that DLC will feel brand new when I replay it judging by how well I remember it.

Initially it's with 2 companions, then you swap one for Liara. The other companion gets knocked out before the final fight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Squidster posted:

Does anyone know what the maximum War Assets you can get are? I ended up with about 7000, having completed every quest possible under the sun. I'm just curious as to if Bioware's claim of Best Possible Ending without multiplayer/ios apps is actually legitimate.

Define "best".

I'm pretty sure you can't get some of the endings though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Axelgear posted:

Am I the only one who didn't like Thessia?
It's one of the weak spots in the game. Javik's on fire there though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I don't see this particular question answered, but how the gently caress do I get to the Hades Nexus? I just did Priority: Citadel II, do I need to do a further mission?

Think so, yeah. The way sidequests and exploration are handled is pretty clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HoveringCheesecake posted:

EDIT: Oh look there is even a note about my rant at the beginning of the OP. And what is this about needing to play multiplayer to get the "best" ending? I thought they said that wasn't going to happen. :colbert:
There's ending stuff that requires multiplayer, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the "best" ending.

• Locked thread