Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Decius posted:

Garrus, Tali, Liara, Kaiden/Ashley. That's it. If they didn't make it through ME 2 (or if you throw Kaiden/Ashley off the Normandy for being shitheads to you) there is no substitute for them. New party members are EDI, Vega, Javik (DLC). All other former party members have cameos as pure NPCs, but Anderson is the only non-permanent party member.

I'd love to know what happens if Mordin isn't alive in your game. I didn't import, so I enjoyed the wonders of not-Wrex. Does Mordin have a twin brother too? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

So, instead of just saying how you would personally rewrite the ending, I'm more interested in how a new ending might work in context of DLC.

I doubt we'll see any sort of "epilogue" DLC; I'd expect pretty much only new missions that fit within the storyline. And, with the massive amount of negative backlash, it'd probably be a good idea for Bioware to add a mission that could drastically alter the outcome of the game.

Now, my thought is that the DLC, whether or not it changes the ending, must have information on the origins of the Catalyst and the Reapers. That is the single mystery left in the Mass Effect universe, as far as I'm aware. I think the best outcome from this would be that Shepard, armed with this information about the Catalyst, would either convince it, maybe even him/herself, that the choices presented are not the only ones, and that there is another solution, whatever that may be.

By the way, another thought regarding the ending: I'm starting to seriously wonder if this was what Bioware intended the motivation of the Reapers to mean. ME1 was very in the dark about it, with Sovereign saying comprehension of their motivations was "beyond our grasp." By ME3, it's become "[mysterious civilization] did not like synthetic life always wiping out organics, so they created the Reapers to 'collect' organics and have them live on forever as hybrids." I wonder if Bioware ever had greater intentions for the Reapers beyond that - maybe they still do and will reveal it in DLC. I kinda hope they do.

I feel like it would have worked waaay better if they had at least put more effort into the organic/synthetic theme. It makes no sense with the existence of EDI, Legion, etc. The fact that Shepard has proof - at least, in the short term - that things can be different should have definitely come up in his/her talk with the Catalyst.

NihilCredo posted:

Question: how's the money situation in this game? In ME2, with all the DLC, I could afford to buy almost every single upgrade (and probably could have gotten them all with some more efficient choices / not paying for scar therapy).

In this one, considering that I'm 100%-ing every single system and doing every sidequest, can I afford to just blindly upgrade ever weapon to level V before using it (Not necessarily the mods, which I mostly wait to find around, just the weapons themselves)? Every time I get a sidegrade weapon, I'm torn between giving it a try and knowing that, as a level I weapon, it's guaranteed to suck compared to the one I've had from the start unless I sink ~20k into it.

If you did everything, by the end of it I think you'd have enough to buy max upgrades for the guns you/your squadmates actually use (I dunno about maxing *all* of them), buy max mod upgrades, buy all the fish and poo poo, and buy all of the armor pieces. The real expensive stuff are the armor sets (50k) and the four or five Spectre guns (200k, no idea how much upgrades are). By the end of my near-100% playthrough, I had enough to get pretty much everything except only a couple sets and two Spectre guns.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 9, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Having finished ME3, and regardless of the ending still itching for more in the same universe:

How's the "expanded universe?" I bought the first book but couldn't more than ten pages in because the writing was just so incredibly bland. Are any of the other three better? And which of the myriad comics series are worth looking into?

Mass Effect Infiltrator just came out for iOS, so I've been thinking of picking that up to sate my Mass Effect appetite. I haven't found a real review of it, though (I think GDC + iPad 3 kinda took away all of the iOS gaming press's time :v:).

Nucular Carmul posted:

To expand on what was said already, in the first run it looks like you can only upgrade to level 5 anyway, so you shouldn't be too hard up for money as long as you make sure to scan stuff occasionally.

They go past 5? :psyduck:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Romes128 posted:

Problem with ANY of the endings is that it brought up a whole fuckton of new questions that we'll never see resolved. And they made no sense.

Do you really think this, though? What else would DLC be, if not resolution for those questions? It's not like they can really add more stuff to the game's overarching "uniting the galaxy" plot. I mean, I guess they could if they really wanted to, but if the total outcome of a DLC on the overarching story is "+300 more war points," I think people would be pretty rightfully pissed off. With no old characters that weren't explored, the only thing you can really do with the DLC is resolve those questions or introduce entirely new characters and conflicts, which seems... wrong, in this game.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I was slightly taken aback to get a face full of femshep rear end during the final Garrus romance scene, seemed a bit gratuitous to me.

I had no romances, and when femshep awoke from the final dream sequence she was sleeping in just underwear. As someone who has never done a romance in Mass Effect 1-3, this seemed crazy out of place/gratuitous and maybe even disrespectful. Gross.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I think this might be the best song in the series. I get chills every drat time it's used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w097Q0fZE-A

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

So the reapers are a force that is trying to prevent technological singularity, ie the destruction of organic life through the development of synthetics replacing people by invading when society gets advanced enough...er. Then they take people and melt them down to preserve their species but otherwise leave the less advanced beings?

Bringing it up like that it almost seems...sensical. Help?

Yeah. I think something people aren't getting is that the Reapers are not, like, killing everything instead of letting them be killed by their own synthetics. They destroy advanced civilizations and allow the smaller ones to continue growing.

There's a lot of unexplained stuff, though, about how the Reapers "influence civilization to grow in certain ways" with the Citadel, mass relays, etc. Is there no way they could have influenced civilization to, y'know, not make loving synthetics, since otherwise they appear to follow the patterns they set out?

By the way, my favorite mostly-ignored plot point in the game is the beacon on Thessia. Maybe if I had the DLC character it would have had more exposition/explanation? Liara seemed pretty loving bummed that her entire civilization's advancements have been based on that secret beacon, and that's how they overtook the galaxy - I would have liked to at least have seen her talking to the Asari leaders about it or something.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Heliotic posted:

It's a bit more interesting if you 'add-on' that they could be working on a 'long term' solution to the problem (of synthetic life constantly rebelling) in the background, and if they ever find this solution they can use the 'reaper' data to recreate all the races they absorbed. At least enough bodies to repopulate the race, along with all of their historical data.) It makes them seem less 'we are evil for reasons you can't comprehend' and more 'we are doing really twisted things for what we consider to be a good reason'.

This is what one of the the DLCs should be about, as a mid-story mission that fixes the awfully-presented motivations for the Reapers. Bring back Harbinger to explain all of this, add some stuff about older cycles and how the Crucible was made... maybe even include, or at least hint at, the creators of the Reapers.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I just beat the game. I had already warmed up to the ending in spoiler form, but the execution of it was amazing. I guess this is going to be like the BSG ending all over again, where I repeatedly get into internet arguments about how no, really, this ending really is the culmination of themes explored throughout the rest of the series.

The problem is, the only theme that is obviously explored by the ending is the synthetic/organic conflict that is so covered by the Geth and the Quarians. That being the ultimate motivation for the Reapers seems so redundant in many ways.

I will say that, for going with that theme, the Control, Synthesis, and Destroy endings were great for being "Paragon, Middle, Renegade." That was smart, managing to be fairly complex (with a third option) while exploring the duality that defined Shepard.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Reflecting further on the ending, I'm starting to come around to Rincewind's point of view on the ending in terms of the overarching plot themes. It's more than just organic/synthetic - arguably, the whole drat series is about "control, synthesize (compromise), and destroy." The Krogan, the Rachni, the Geth, etc. The failing of the ending wasn't the choices it provided, like some peoples' criticisms of other games with split endings, it was the clear lack of character resolution. Which is going to be DLC, of course; there's no way it won't. A lot of people bring up Broken Steel, but I imagine it to be closer to Prince of Persia 2008's Epilogue DLC that brings closure, rather than retcons.

Oh, the other main issue I have with the ending (reminded by the above post) is the destruction of the relays. That's just bullshit, especially for it to be in every ending, and destroys the setting. I'm sure it was kept constant for said epilogue DLC (presumedly taking place in the Sol system, and/or wherever the Normandy landed). But it totally destroys the setting, and I don't see it fitting into the themes of the game - it seems like a complete afterthought. I hope they do something interesting with it and prove me wrong.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 10, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dominic White posted:

drat, that's dark. Didn't happen for me.

I played a pure Paragon run through the whole trilogy. The only major characters who died were in ME3 - Mordin, Thane & Legion - all three with heroic deaths that saved lives. Even saved the Rachni, and Grunt managed to kill stuff so hard he avoided dying in his own heroic death cutscene. Miranda and all the other NPC crew-members made it out fine, too.

Uniting the Geth and Quarians once again was pretty sweet, and the ultimate 'gently caress you' to the Reapers and their endless talk about how Synthetic/Organic war is inevitable. Give peace a chance, eh?

Apparently you need to be some kind of near-perfect uber-paragon to get the final Paragon dialogue option - convincing the Illusive Man that he's under Reaper control. That was a pretty nice callback to Saren, too.

How'd you like Mordin's replacement? I had Mordin in my game (no import), but didn't have Wrex or Grunt. I actually liked their replacements, shockingly - Grunt's doesn't get a lot of screen time, but Urdnot Wreav made me feel really bad for saving the Krogran.

Also, I had a completely 50/50 paragon/renegade split and actually could have convinced TIM either way throughout that entire sequence. Was kinda cool. There was only one rep check in the entire game I couldn't do (fairly early on, don't remember it offhand). Except, of course, I couldn't unite the Geth/Quarians without Legion, so that sucked. I was hoping it would at least give you the option if you had high enough Rep :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Never saw him. I had Wrex, and Mordin alive, saved the research data, had Eve in good health and everything in place for the best possible outcome on Tuchanka. Raised a middle finger to the Salarian government and ended the Genophage.

He was the very model of a scientist Salarian. :mordin:

Whoops, I thought you were talking about Mordin dying in ME2, not ME3, in your game. Man, he does own.

How does Eve being in good health work, anyways? I feel like I just totally missed a way to save her with Wreav, or maybe it's just not possible without Wrex, but I have no idea what choice I was supposed to make.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dominic White posted:

She also plans to get the females (who are generally much smarter than males, but just as big, tough and good with a gun) more involved in the political process in general. So yeah, the best possible outcome of that entire story arc is 'Things are looking very good for the Krogan'.

With Wreav alive and Eve dead, Wreav is constantly talking about how he plans to show the other races who's boss. You see him before the final mission on Earth, telling his soldiers to "work with the Turians for now, but study their strategy and tactics for the future." I guess it's irrelevant in the end, but made me feel really bad for curing the genophage... even though the result was probably killing Mordin. I heard that if Eve dies and Wrex is dead from previous games, you can convince Mordin to not cure it (I would presume because Wreav is p much straight evil). Kinda wish I'd done that.

God drat, there is so much going on in every part of this game :stare:

Jarmel posted:

Anyone who likes the endings doesn't like ME lore or the characters. Yea I went there.

I wouldn't agree with you on liking it meaning "not liking the lore", except for the goddamn destruction of the relays. That's what took the ending from "somewhat cliched and WAY too short but at least reflective of the series' themes" to "totally destroys the future of that universe."

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 10, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Decius posted:

Post Tuchanka spoiler
Doesn't change the underlying problem that both the Krogans and maybe the galaxy are hosed if they don't invent and strictly control effective birth control. The Krogan population would spin completely out of control in just a few decades. Which means either starving children, Krogans dying in internal fights in their billions or starting again the search for more Lebensraum. I don't seehow Wrex and Eve can stop this - maybe by asking the Salarians for a modified version of the Genophage, that reduces the birth rate to a promille of the current one.

Isn't this what the Genophage already did, though? Took it to like "1 in 1000" births make it, which is enough for the species' survival?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Noxville posted:

Congratulations Bioware for making a new scanning minigame that annoys me even more than the one in ME2.

It's annoying, but it also takes maybe 30-45 minutes to scan literally everything in the galaxy. Just put on a podcast or an episode of a TV show.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sintor posted:

People say sacrifice was a big theme in the game, but Renegade-Shep specialized in sacrificing EVERYONE ELSE, not himself. The crazy renegade choice would have been like:

Detonating all reapers and basically shredding every occupied planet to dust. You get to live while untold millions die. You warp the closed Citadel out, Joker docks, and you proceed to gently caress bitches like there's no tomorrow. Repopulate EVERY race with Shepard babies.

Well, the only ending in which Shep can live (>5k assets) is the Destroy ending, which is definitely the "renegade ending."

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

All sheps get the mind meld space horizon thing don't they?

:stare:

Liara, you sly dog!

Yeah, you get that regardless of if you romanced her or not. Not really sure what that means, then.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

kri kri posted:

Can I vote for a spoiler thread? It worked well with DEHR.

Working on one now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Spoiler thread a-go-go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471712

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Psyker posted:

The thing that gets me the most about this game is the music. Moreso than ME1, 2, or any other game I've really ever played Mass Effect 3's soundtrack captures the spirit of sadness, sacrifice, yet has a strong undertone of duty. It's haunting. It's beautiful. It's depressing yet uplifting.

I can't get it out of my head.

As much as I loved the new music in ME3, the best song in the game - and series - will always be this, from the first game (and used to amazing effect in this one). I've already posted it once, and will probably post it like four more times before this thread is finally archived :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w097Q0fZE-A

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

So, popping in for a quick question before I get myself spoiled. I have an EMS score of 5806. Is that a high enough score to get the best ending? The rating gained from MP is at 86%. Should I just get it up to 100% to make sure, or is what I have now good enough?

It's good enough, assuming "EMS score" means "score after the readiness percentage is applied."

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mike Gamble, on the From Ashes DLC controversy: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gcijat

quote:

I've posted a summarized response on the BSN, but i wanted to give some more details on the 'From Ashes' development. As we've seen recently, our fans are extremely passionate and we have a great deal of respect for you.

ME3 was a labour of love for the dev team. To finish a game like ME3, it literally takes months of intense bug fixing and certification. At this point, our goal is to polish the game to an extremely high quality – not to add extra content. You hopefully see a lot of that polish in ME3.

During that certification time, we had a small team of developers begin to craft the ‘From Ashes’ content, with the intent to finish production on it long after ME3 was out of our hands as a dev team.

However, because the plot of ME3 is so richly interwoven with the character interactions and moments, you simply cannot use a DLC module to ‘insert’ a new character. As we've mentioned before, that character has to be planned and the framework has to be established ahead of time for us to build off of with the DLC module. You may have seen a similar framework developed in ME2 for the Zaeed and Kasumi characters. We wanted Javik to be a fully featured squad member, with deep dialogue throughout the game – and we needed him to be accessible via the character selection GUI (which you cannot simply ‘overwrite’ with DLC). Thus, certain elements of the Javik appearance and some of the VO needed to be included on the disc. That is a fact. But that doesn’t mean the content was created, and then removed. It is a necessity of adding a rich character presence in our game.

That, however, is the extent of it. As mentioned above, the DLC is over 600 mb. The DLC data holds the mission itself, the cinematic flashback moments, the cinematic dialogue interactions with Javik, his weapon, the appearances for squad members… everything that makes the adventure a cohesive experience. 'From Ashes' is not Javik’s character model. It is the story of finding the last remaining Prothean, and how his tale interweaves with Commander Shepard’s as he struggles to destroy the Reaper threat.

Thanks for listening.

I can respect that, and this is pretty much what I expected. What bums me out is that Javik's dialogue is so important to parts of the story (mainly Thessia), and I wish that information was accessible to everyone.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Noxville posted:

BULLSHIT

Kasumi and Zaieed (or however it's spelled) both had files on disc for the same reason.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

astr0man posted:

So which shotgun do people prefer for vanguards?

The Geth one I got about midway through the game seemed incredible. Not sure what the best balance between lightness and damage is, but it seemed close. Just make sure to reload before you charge, since it's like a 3-bullet clip.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

68k posted:

Is it when you're about to assault TIM? Because he makes a point to say, "make sure you're definitely ready before heading out," but this doesn't quite feel like the end.

Yeah, it is.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I was curious about this when I read the spoiler. I did any mission that seemed to indicate I'd come across a former teammate. Though I was hoping I could kill of as many as possible. I guess the only ones that You cannot save are Mordin and Thane, and depending on the Quarian/Geth situation, Tali or Legion. That one still makes me sad. Legion tries to kill you, Tali stabs him, then you pump 3 shots into his chest, sadly. As he dies, he ask "Creator-Zorah, does this unite have a soul?" and Tali says "yes" sadly. Then after its over, she says "we just had to murder an Ally, a Friend.". that really choked me up

My next game has half the Me2 crewmen dead, and Thane dead, but all the DLC done.

DId anyone switch their characters appearance constantly? I just chose their most battle armored look and left it at that.

You can save Mordin. If Wrex is dead and you have Wreav in his place, who is an rear end in a top hat, and without Eve (who I think always dies without Wrex) to keep him in check will become Space Genghis Khan, you can convince Mordin to not do the cure without having to shoot him.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

But you must be a terrible person to kill Wrex in ME1.

Or maybe you didn't import a save? :shobon:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

How'd that happen? I was pretty sure Cortez doesn't flag as a romance until you literally tell him that you like dick.

Yeah, seriously:

Also, I appreciate that Cortez was gay and Traynor was lesbian, instead of everyone being "Shepard-sexual" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

So apparently some people playing ME3 this morning on 360 are finding their gamerscores reset to zero:

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360/93-1229/my-gamerscore-just-reset/35-539199/

:tinfoil:

• Locked thread