Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
I must say, Mac Walters really has to ditch that terrible hat.

Why am I watching this BiowareTV stream, oh hey it's Casey Hudson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
They just made the mistake of having the host of the biowareTV stream go outside and ask fans what they're most looking forward to.

the result:
"I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO BLOWJOBS FROM THAT BLU-"
"alright enough of you, we'll edit that one out in post"

now they're talking to someone dressed as an asari. Aaaah.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
IGN review is up, 9.5
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219416p1.html

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Slake Fistcrunch posted:

Romance spoilers:

I found the Kaidan/Manshep 'before the final battle' scene, if anyone's interested. Spoilers, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAoWkEuQzTw

:3: Much better done than I'd been expecting (by Bioware standards.) I wonder if Fox News is going to pick up on this.

I can't wait to have that scene happen infront of my roommates, it's going to be SO awkward for us to collectively watch.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Nucular Carmul posted:

I really like how Cortez's character is portrayed so far. I'm playing Femshep so I won't be banging him, but the part where you catch him listening to the recording of his husband dying at Ferris Fields is a genuinely tender and moving moment. Also the ribbing between him and Vega is great.

I almost want to give them a pass for the asari, Jack's sex-cure, miranda's butt etc and all that other poo poo for how well handled the queer characters and romances are in this game.

oh who am I kidding, Miranda's butt still annoys me.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
FINISHED!

here's my thoughts:

I Was really worried that the auto-dialogue and the smaller fraction of choice (split between just paragon/renegade) in conversations was going to kill the game for me. I was wrong. The auto-dialogue wasn't too terrible, it resulted in some much better character development and conversation pieces with your entire crew. The way the crew was handled and conversed with you on both the ship, the citadel and on missions was brilliant - there was so much more banter, so much more conversation and they actually felt like a team and I am compelled to play through the game again with different squad mates to see their reaction and conversations during missions - something I did not give a poo poo about in mass effect 2 in the slightest.

Gays in space: as a gay man, having queer representation in mainstream media that I consume is actually an important thing to me. The way it was represented in this game was on-par with New Vegas for the most part, romances tend to counter this slightly but the fact that your Shepard can officially be gay now is a huge step in the right direction. Bravo etc.

Kaidan - I romanced him, it felt like it fit in with my canon shep's narrative, kaidan didn't feel 'surprise gay' and it worked as a natural conclusion to the story that had developed over the two characters in the previous games. The horrifying romance scene did NOT fade to black as I thought it would, which is a win for equality and a loss for anyone who has to sit through it (robotic underwear wrestling). Still, pretty happy, I'm wondering what people like Count Choculitis think about Kaidan being open to male Shepards in the third game, does it retcon the character for you?

Edi/Joker: No. that is all.

callbacks: lots of them. Sure I know when I do a second playthrough on my renegade female shepard I'm going to see how transparent the process is but your first time through makes you really feel like you've shaped the story in a meaningful way. Every second conversation seems to reference events from 1 and 2, characters return (and not just in email form) and contribute important moments - it's pretty satisfying.

The ending: Here's how I remember it. The Normandy lands on earth (after I picked destroy), everyone scans wreckage with omni-tools hoping to find shepard alive or at the very least, his body. Suddenly your love interest or liara hears a sound, looks up and Shepard crawls out of the rubble and starts limping towards them with a satisfied grin. The mass effect 1 ending comes full circle, starbuck turns into a pigeon and lee orders the fleet to fly into the Sun. Japanese dancing robot montage in Times Square. The end.

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that I liked the Kaiden romance "ended" (at least I got the cheevo for it) when Kaiden and Shepard went out to a bar together and talked, instead of the most important thing being THEY HAD SEX. Yeah, there's still a sex scene later on, but it isn't treated as the all-important defining romance thing.
actually I'm going to ruin this one for you it's implied they have sex immediately after that dinner/bar conversation. You can talk to Kaidan later on the Normandy and he'll mention he was upset you didn't wake him up in the morning.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Count Choculitis posted:

Oh yay! :3: The femShep Kaidan romance was also awesome, but I can't ever get enough Kaidan so of course I'll have to romance him again as a male Shepard, haha. I'm so glad you thought it was good, especially since they made you wait three games for it! I'm especially happy to hear that there's no fade to black. Did you also hear that Cortez is only romanceable by men and Traynor only by women? It's about time they had characters that were exclusively same-sex!

And it doesn't retcon him at all for me. Shepard and Kaidan (or Ash) have always been close and had a special bond, so the fact that it evolves into romance is totally understandable for me. The best relationships start with friendships. :3:

more romance stuff:

Cortez was a great character as well, it's also good that the game gives renegade shepards and people who've killed Kaidan have an option. his friendship arc with my male Shepard worked pretty well and it's pretty easy to avoid his romance initiation if you're not interested.

Traynor's a solid support & friend for a male shepard, a less creepy kelly. Unfortunately that completely gets blown out of the water if you play a fem-shep and have male-gaze shower sex with her.

CVagts posted:

Also, it might just be me trying to rationalize it since I love the game (and series) so much, but maybe the kid has affected Shepard so much because in the grand scheme of things, saving that kid should have been so easy to do. The Kaidan/Ashley decision clearly affects Shepard, but it happened almost three years ago and Shepard's been able to somewhat rationalize it (as it helped them stop Saren/Sovereign). Plucking a kid out of an air duct and helping him to safety is so pisseasy, but it just doesn't work out that way.

And like Lotish said, Kaidan/Ashley did die and was clearly closer to Shepard, but Shepard didn't have to WATCH them die, while the kid died in plain sight.
I really do like to just imagine the kid was in in Shepard's head the entire time, never existed and was just a manifestation of the frustration of dealing with the reapers. It still sucks and is terrible, especially if you're a renegade shepard - as if renegade Shepard would give a poo poo, he'd nuke the child on Virmire.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
Something I totally forgot to mention when I wrote up my thoughts on the game earlier in the thread:

I am so so glad the 'mission accomplished' screen from mass effect 2 is GONE. Good riddance, it was jarring, terrible and made things feel incredible stiff and out of place.

won't miss you, good work mass effect 3!

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Mr. Stingly posted:

Fast forward a week, and Kaidan would like to chat at a cafe. I know something is wrong because Kaidan is sitting stiffly, pretending to hold a drink, but there's nothing in his hand. I sit down and things get weird. This whole time I thought we were good war buddies but Kaidan totally fell in love with me. I must have missed the signals I was putting out. So great, now this is super awkward.

I've never had to tell a prospective LI I'm not interested in the other games. That's whats so odd about ME 3. Every time someone requests a private chat, you get soft piano music, unusually intimate and sentimental dialogue choices. Every encounter is like: "wait whats going on, am I flirting with this dude? I thought we were just talking about Thannix Cannons..."

I'm going to jump in here, because as a gay man I'm on the other end of this situation all the time. Mass effect 1 I had to literally beat liara off me with a stick and repeatedly say 'not interested'. In Mass effect 2 I had Tali wanting to sync suits, jack wanting to jump me in the engineering bay and Miranda coming onto me immediately after rescuing her sister.

It's annoying - I hear you, but the Kaidan romance conversation you got can be avoided pretty easily by someone wanting to play a scared of gay people commander shepard. Commit to another person before you have that 'cafe' scene and he'll never bring it up and toast to your friendship instead. There's plenty of time to start a relationship with liara, cortez, allers (ew - jesus why) or restart your one with jack, miranda or tali before that scene.

all the romances kick in when you get your virmire survivor back, it's just up to you to decide which one you talk to first and set into stone.

Also is it really that bad that a character told you they loved you? It sure as hell was awkward when Tali started going there in mass effect 2, but you can shoot it down immediately and move on unlike the last game which locks you out of further conversation dialogues with them.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, sucks for anyone who stumbled upon it being by a completely celibate but friendly space marine, but compared to ME1 and ME2 I think this game did a pretty good job to make sure these characters don't just accidentally trip and fall face-first into your crotch.
I disagree, it doesn't suck. Kaidan the character is allowed to have emotions and feelings and then express them regardless of your shepard's sexuality. It's your choice and freedom as Shepard to decide to act on them or not.

Once again, this is exactly like Liara in mass effect 1, she's always going to have feelings for you, whether or not you want to accept them is your choice.

This is what makes mass effect better than Dragon Age in regards to queer sexuality by the way. There are characters in this game (ashley, garrus, tali, jack, miranda,) who are straight, characters who are bi (Liara kaidan,) and characters who are gay (cortez and traynor). They make no excuses about it and aren't compromised by your decision to play a male or female shepard. They don't magically all turn gay/lesbian based on your gender.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 14, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Gadzuko posted:

All of the crew member conversations (throughout the entire series, not just ME3) would have really benefited from having neutral options. I never understood why in so many conversations there was no middle ground between being flirty or telling them to get lost. I want to learn about all the character's backgrounds but I don't want to waste time going through all the romance plots to do it.
Yep, but I suppose what I'm saying here is you can play your friendship with Kaidan rather neutrally/paragon/best friend and have no problems. He'll flirt with you once in the hospital and profess his love if you dont shack up with someone else, but if you shoot it down, you go back to having a neutral, close friendship and that seems fine to me.

I agree about ME3 though, there's no middle ground when talking to these characters. The worst example is Vega for female shepards. You either flirt shamelessly with him or are a renegade hard-rear end. You're locked out of the more neutral paragon responses that male shepard gets with him and you can argue that it's not fair that male shepard can't flirt like a shameless whore at him as well.

as for neutral options in mass effect 1 - they didn't change much, Liara would still attempt to hit on you even when you took the most neutral/careful questions, you'd HAVE to shoot her down at some point or just be vicious to her from the start. The point is, once you make your decision, it's done and you get that more neutral/interesting friendship develop with the character.

It's better than mass effect 2's 'locking you out of this character's progression and development because you're not sleeping with them' shtick, which they did with Jack, Thane and to a lesser extent, Tali.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 14, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

farfidnuggin posted:

I admit that a lot of stuff affected me emotionally. Kelly's death was shocking. Mordin's sacrifice shattered me. Broing out with Garrus and letting him win the marksmanship contest was incredibly touching.

But Liara, she affected me the most. I say that as someone who has never really liked her character. Her time capsule broke my heart. The mind-meld? Resting her head on Shepard's shoulder was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I would say the worst character moment for me in the game was finding out about joker's sister, then putting the connection between his story of her and the asari commando with PSTD in the citadel together.

Then you can approve her denied request for a gun license at the spectre terminal and let her kill herself if you're feeling truly evil.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Lotish posted:

All the same, I kind of wonder at what point the Asari broke from standard sexual reproduction in their evolutionary line. If you take our own genetics, the Y chromosome is a damaged or mutated form of the X. In time, some geneticists theorize that the Y will break entirely, and at that point it'll be impossible for males to either be created or breed more males. At this point it'll be necessary for females to either recreate the Y or find a different means of reproduction, possibly involving cloning.

Self-cloning is essentially what the Asari do, but they randomize their DNA through the use of their biotic melding ability. Assuming they had males at one point in their evolution (as they do behave as sexual creatures), did they develop this melding ability before their males died out or as a response to their males ceasing to exist/not breeding true? Once the females were able to make their children without actual sexual contact, males would be strictly unnecessary, and would not be created from the self-cloning process. They could have just become obsolete.
We are on the verge of this turning into a tali's sweat moment, but you could argue that their evolution was altered by the protheans, especially if you bring javik to thessia with you. The protheans gave the asari their biotic powers and perhaps enabled them to randomize their DNA and have more variance in their species over time

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Dr. Abysmal posted:

In my case I had to friendzone Kaidan because I had not been able to speak to Liara to "lock in" my romance with her yet (even if you tell her early on that you want to be together, you still have to pick "I want more than friendship" with her later on the Citadel to make it count) and when I rolled up to Kaidan he told me how he felt. I had to shoot the poor guy down, he forgot that I liked the blue chicks from back in the first game I guess.

put off your conversation with kaidan on the citadel until you have the chat with liara, they're not in order, you can go to liara first. Her's should unlock pretty quickly/at the same time.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

jcp982 posted:

Can anyone else in your main party die? Just Ashley/Kaiden?

garrus and tali can be dead from me2, you can never install/rescue javik and apparently you can lose squad mates if you have really low war assets/readiness during the final battle.

dont ask me about that last one though, I didn't experience it.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Without spoiling to much, does anyone know if letting Udina die over the Virmire survivor comes back to bite you in the rear end later on?

Udina dies, regardless. You either can convince the VS then renegade shoot him, have the VS shoot him or kill the VS and then kill udina.

dude dies either way from what I understand

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

CapnAndy posted:

And as much of an imperialist fuckstick as Javik turned out to be (the Protheans were horrible!), taking him to the Citadel is fantastic. The way he ends up surrounded by the child races of the galaxy that've now taken his people's place, and they're all so honored to meet him, and he looks like he's finally starting to get it a little bit.

Man, this game's gotten to me again and again.

oh god I love that scene so much especially since his speech to them is so loving dreadful and horrendous unless you paragon interrupt it and suddenly he belts out some inspiring bullshit which he clearly doesn't believe.

Javik is a wonderful character, if you have the iphone datapad app the text messages he sends you are HILARIOUS.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Android Blues posted:

I honestly don't understand it. I don't mind the "damaged character is healed by interaction with the protagonist" thing, even though it's hacky, but what on Earth is romantically appealing about freshly grieving widowers? Why is that a thing that recurs to such a degree that it feels like someone at Bioware's fetish?

I say this liking Cortez. It's just the profusion of romance-able characters using basically the same weird hook in their games that baffles me.

Cortez actually isn't too bad - you can help him get over his dead husband without going down a romance path and you can use all the charm/paragon options on him as a male Shepard and it won't begin a romance unless you specifically initiate it at purgatory on the citadel after the Cerberus attack

Plus even femshep gets to have some meaningful character arc with cortez and help him deal in a platonic way that doesn't require a magic relationship to fix it. It's not at all like thane where the only way to help him deal with his dead wife is through ~romance~

Also seriously this game gives you like 3 conversation choices in a row to back out of hitting on him. It's like a nonstop parade of 'no homo' dialogue to make sure you don't accidentally hit on that - it's ridiculous. I don't see why people are all like 'ew I don't want to accidentally hit on him,'

Also Jaheria is the worst of the bioware widow romances.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Von_Doom posted:

Also how many bloody paragon points do I need to talk TIM down?. I had exactly two renegade moments that really didn't seem that renegade. Because gently caress Udina and gently caress Kai. In the other games the renegade choices were often hilariously over the top and fairly obvious.

i swear this comes up at least 2-3 times a day now, I think we're at the point where we need to put it in spoilers in the first page of the thread.

you must use a persuade check (either paragon or renegade - and stick to them through the entire game) at every. single. prior. conversation with the illusive man in the game.

For the first mars mission you must use the left-side investigate option to pry open the first of these persuades, it's easy to miss. You must also persuade him at Thessia and at the Cerberus Base. Finally, you need to have nearly maxed reputation and you should be able to successfully persuade him in the final conversation at the very end.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

NihilCredo posted:

By the way, I'm on a real-world quest here: is there ANYONE, anyone at all on the planet, who has romanced Diana Allers?

one of my friends did. Felt immediately dirty when I told him who jessica chobot was.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Count Choculitis posted:

He's better if you romanced him, I promise! :( He brings up Cerberus because he wants to talk through it and trust Shep again, he apologizes a whole bunch, and he's got some attitude/sass that you don't get to see in non-romanced conversations. I think his character arc is really interesting - he's always so in control of himself and his emotions, he knows who he is and what he's supposed to do, and seeing him try to reconcile this with how he feels about Shepard is really awesome. :3:

I know, big surprise that I love Kaidan's story, but I was really sad with how they handled him in ME2, and they more than made up for it in 3. Especially with the lines in TIM's base, when he finds out more about the Lazarus Project and how Cerberus manipulated Shep..
he really is yeah,

I was pretty happy with how kaidan turned out in my playthrough. I never found him boring in the first game either, and felt that his story arc throughout ME3 was great.

also the TIM's base scene and the goodbye sequence in london was fantastic for male shepard. It has a different tone/context to female shepard, there's less 'i love yous' and hand holding throughout the relationship - as a result I quite prefer it as it feels less bioware-cringe than their usual stuff

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

PopetasticPerson posted:

I posted this a few pages ago but never got an answer.

My game has started to get really choppy. The FPS drops down way low and I can't even target stuff, doors or enemies or anything. Alt-tabbing sometimes works, sometimes reloading, and sometimes I have to close the game and open it back up. It's starting to happen more and more frequently.

It's weird because this is my 2nd character, and on my first I only had FPS drops in a couple places. My computer isn't awesome but it can run it and my first character had almost no issues...but now it's happening all the time, at least once or twice an hour I have to restart the game.

What's happening and how do I fix it? :ohdear:

I've been getting a bit of choppiness in multiplayer since the new balance patch they pushed out today. Nothing as bad as you have described but annoying enough for me to pay attention to

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Aristobulus posted:

And complaining about the graphics? I can't even understand this. The game has some absolutely amazing scenery - look at Palaven's Moon, Thessia, and Mars. The views you get of the horizon are absolutely on par and better than the best you saw in ME1 and ME2.

Calling the Citadel small, even? It might be, but worse than ME2's? This boggles my mind. ME2's Citadel was a drat shopping mall, ME2's Citadel actually feels fleshed out and like it has a bunch of different areas and is actually a place where people live and work.

And poo poo, compare the character models from ME3 to ME2, or especially ME1. Liara alone got a gently caress ton of improvements. But a lot of things did. I just don't understand you.
ugh these graphics are so crap look how bad these graphics are:

(all I'm doing in my second playthrough is taking pictures, it's so much fun)

ugh! such ugly graphics.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Fffffff are you serious? That's awful. :( I hope I can link back up with Liara. It makes me wonder why they even bothered putting Jack in this game at all
you can continue the romance though.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

DerDestroyer posted:

Another problem with the endings is that they can't be unseen. So any new ending will seem less genuine than the original ones.

wrong.

anything is better at this point. Totally doesn't phase me at all.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Andrast posted:

I'm planning on doing a failure run across all three games and I'd like only Garrus to survive the suicide mission with Shepard, what is the best way to make this happen?
forget that, you should keep people alive for maximum horrible failshep things in me3

Here's my dream failshep scenario

(heavy me3 spoilers below for like EVERYTHING, you've been warned.)

jack - let her be taken at grissom academy and converted into a phantom
tali & legion - let legion upload his code and tali commit suicide off a cliff OR send legion to cerberus, kill him at the cerberus base in me3 and still side with the geth, forcing tali to kill herself.
get grunt through me2 without his loyalty, let him die to the rachni in me3. sacrifice his squad at the same time. Make sure you kill the rachni queen so that the frankenqueen will betray you.
Destroy maelon's data, keep wrex alive. Betray the krogan and sabotage the genophage. Eve will die, you'll murder mordin and later on you'll murder wrex too.
Miranda - don't contact her and let her die to kai leng. Bonus points - romance her then dump her in me3. Make sure to visit thane in hospital so he can die as well.
Steve cortez - don't help him get over his husband or romance him, he'll die on earth.
Nuke Kaidan (let him go out a hero), Shoot ashley in the face because her new haircut is terrible.
Pick Samara over morinth. Have Samara kill herself at the monastery. Then murder her last remaining child in cold blood.
Recruit Zaeed after the suicide mission, leave him to die during his loyalty.
Kasumi - kill her off during the suicide mission or keep her unloyal and let her die in me3 trying to stop a hanar plot (what a lame way to go).
Kill garrus in the suicide mission.

have a super low EMS - your squad mates with you will die to harbinger's beam. The normandy will explode instead of crash land and you'll burn earth to a husk with the DESTROY ending so that you also genocide the geth and EDI -or- die to marauder shields then turn off the game.

Send jacob in the vents, because who really cares about Jacob anyway?

at some point in the future, I need to do all of that in one unspectacular playthrough. To top it all off, I'll romance Allers so it's officially the worst shepard ever.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Riso posted:

Failshep was already a given seeing how you'd go with maleshep.

you take that back, gay male shepard is my canon shep :(

Party Plane Jones posted:

A Femshep run of this would be even more brutal seeing as how you don't have as many possible LI throughout the series.
extra bonus:
romance ashley in me1, so when you kill her in me3 it's even more cruel

Annakie posted:

Zaeed spoiler: You could also do, but fail, his loyalty mission in ME2, and then he dies on his mission in ME3. That way you kill Din the volus, too, I believe.
Tempting but we all know it's far more hilarious to leave him shouting and trapped under that pillar - did always hate din korlac though..

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 22, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Endormoon posted:

you haven't reached the maximum amount of fail possible. don't visit Thane at all in ME3 and Major Kirrahee is killed in his place. Thane still ends up dead after the Cerberus attack from his disease. His name appears on the wall of the fallen on deck 3 as soon as the mission is complete.

question: what exactly happens if kirahee dies on virmire because you didn't do the bonus objectives while clearing out saren's base? who shows up if both thane and kirahee are dead? I'm guessing no one and the Councillor dies? Maybe that's the best option then.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Holy poo poo, I missed Aethyta the first time around and that is some funny loving dialogue.

Her talking about Benezia's rack, much to Liara's discomfort, and "as useful as tits on a hanar" had me in stitches.
I think my favourite part of that whole thing is when you convince Liara to actually speak to her and mid-sentence liara just storms off with a "FINE WHATEVER SHEPARD". Things like that made me stop hating liara after how much I disliked her character in the first game

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

TheSpiritFox posted:

I'm so glad we revised this - looking forward to being responsible for hijacking the thread down into gay Shepard discussions every few pages

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 24, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Rookersh posted:

Go Soldier, only equip Heavy Pistol, grab Fortification from Vega, then pump up all the melee/time dilation talents from Adrenaline Rush/Fortification/Fitness.

With only the Heavy Pistol, if you grab the talent that keeps AR on longer, you'll be able to keep it going forever, and when in Adrenaline Rush mode, you'll be doing rather large amounts of melee damage.

You basically become some strange time manipulating melee warrior, and its fantastic.

How does this work on insanity? How do you deal with things like phantoms, banshees and brutes? I assume you basically rely on your squad-mates & bring along liara to stasis lockdown things like phantoms?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

War Pig posted:

I just used a Renegade dialogue option on TIM. Does it vastly affect the outcome to use Paragon instead? Did I just gently caress myself out of the salvation of the Galaxy?

I dont think it will I went full renegade, picking every single renegade persuade with the illusive man.

at the end of the game, the option to paragon-him in the very last charm option was available to me.

I took that instead. I think the key is that you MUST persuade him on mars, thessia & the Cerberus base or it simply won't work. You need to use the left-hand dialogue wheels to get the intimidate/charm options - which is how most people miss them and then are surprised they can't talk him down

Milky Moor posted:

Has the thread seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzHqQbz78-s

It's surprisingly good!
this is terrible and the flow is very bad.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 25, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
A fun hint to add to the front page:

MARS MISSION: SLO-MO SEQUENCE
Due to lovely design mechanics, it is recommended that you equip shepard with a fast-firing heavy pistol for this section of the game. Make sure it is fully loaded before you finish the Doctor Eva chase sequence. Otherwise you will be stuck reloading your gun during the slow-motion element of the fight.

if your gun fires too slowly (a carnifex, paladin, the scorpion are good examples) you may not have enough time to kill her before she reaches you due to the slow firing rate of the weapon.

this is essentially the most loving stupid thing I've come across in this game. Yes, I had to reload an earlier save because I thought the paladin would be 'fast enough' for this, but clearly 3 headshots is not enough and I dont have time for 4.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Haledjian posted:

Yeah, I encountered this with the scorpion. Had to restart the whole mission because I didn't have any saves before the weapon table.

fun update: I swapped to my N7-Hurricane and took her out in half a second.

thank gently caress.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Bruce Leroy posted:

Awesome, thanks. I thought Reave would be awesome, but isn't it limited to only those players who saved Kaiden in ME 1? I saved Ashley, so I would be SOL for Reave, though I did find a nearly identical save to mine on the ME saves website but with Kaiden surviving instead of Ashley.

Yes, you chose poorly.

although I'm doing a playthrough at the moment and can try to make a save before the conversation with kaidan that unlocks Reave. maybe I can upload it so you can snag the unlock.

Reave works quite differently in ME3 than it did in ME2 though.

Reave:
- is both a biotic detonator and a DoT that will cause a biotic explosion
- cannot be detonated with itself (no casting reave twice and having it blow up)
- it will detonate any lifted targets (from singularity, pull, barrier-aoe pull explode, lift grenades) as well as stasis and warp.
- can be detonated by warp & throw and biotic adept cluster grenades.
- speccing into aoe warp lets you warp 4-5 people at once then hurl grenades, each grenade explosion will trigger a biotic explosion. You can clear rooms like this in multiplayer.
- no longer has its ME2 'stunlock' ability.
- is instant cast like overload, it has no projectile or travel time.

I'm trying out an insanity newgame+ adept run with reave as my main 'set up' and detonator spell. Between Liara's stasis & singularity and my own pulls/singularity I have plenty of things to blow up.

I also use reave --> throw or reave --> warp to detonate shielded & armored enemies.

Everything is specced around increasing biotic damage and biotic explosion damage and everything barring shockwave has been maxed out.

my gun loadout: N7-Hurricane X (which I never use)
Paladin X (which I almost never use except on atlases/harvesters/banshees/brutes in between cool downs)
gives me 200% cooldown usage.

for my squadmates I'm currently using:
Vega (specced for max damage reduction, with the particle rifle from eden prime with magazine upgrade & damage upgrade). Even on insanity, I find that Vega can stand toe to toe with a brute long enough for me to line up explosions and not have him die. really useful.
Liara - singularity (for detonating) and stasis (for detonating and throwing cluster grenades into). N7-Hurricane with magazine increase & the heat-sink. she can strip shields off most enemies with 1-2 clips.

I'll be replacing Vega with Kaidan later on in the game and have specced kaidan out for max damage reduction through reave & barrier defensive talents and will hopefully be using a lot his barrier-explode ability to aoe-lift things and then blow them up.

I found Kaidan's aoe-overload more useful than reave during Mars.

what builds are people playing/experimenting around with?

NihilCredo posted:

Yes. Same as ME2, really.
I maxed sabotage, taking the exploding synthetics evolution on my infiltrator. Kind of a waste of points, but at that point of the game I was level 50+ and could afford to. Most of the geth-synthetic missions involved an aoe sabotage --> aoe overload (From garrus) into an aoe energy drain (From tali) which would kill large clumps of guys.

It made rannoch and its various missions the easiest part of the game for me. Soon as I was done with those quests, I respecced it down to rank 3 and would only respec it back up for cerberus missions where I knew an atlas/lots of turrets might feature.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 26, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I still don't have the game but could someone explain what the power detonations are and how they work briefly? Or is it really self-explanatory?

Sure, it's an expansion of 'comboing' from mass effect 2. In Mass effect 2, any lifted enemy by biotics could be exploded by casting warp on them.

In ME3 this system is greatly overhauled and includes tech explosions, cyro explosions, fire explosions and biotic detonations.

Biotic explosions tend to come from biotic abilities and will do huge aoe damage when exploded and are the most powerful.
Fire explosions do massive elemental damage but can only be triggered if the enemy is killed by the detonator ability
electric/tech explosions are quite weak but will always activate (like biotic explosions).
Cyro explosions are strong but like fire explosions, require the enemy to be killed by the detonator ability to activate.

you can check out this chart of combos and detonators which is pretty comprehensive list.

great ones to set up yourself include:

incinerate --> overload (make sure the enemy is on low enough health to be killed. They'll explode for huge damage
warp --> throw
singularity --> warp
reave --> warp
stasis -> reave
stasis -> warp
pull --> throw
incinerate - throw
overload --> throw
aoe reave/stasis bubble--> adept cluster grenades (biotic explosion)

I also really dig casting stasis bubble, then throwing a singularity into the stasis bubble, then casting warp/reave. Anyone still alive will be picked up by the singularity and can be exploded again by another reave.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 26, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Bruce Leroy posted:

Awesome!

So, does this make the rank 6 stun upgrade for disrupter ammo more worthwhile because it will make stuns more likely and therefore give more frequent electric/tech explosions?
yes, (I think).

Bruce Leroy posted:

Also, the squad versions of various ammo types list them as at "50% effectiveness." Is that just 50% of the base effectiveness of the power or does it scale based on Shepherd's upgrades, including stun/freeze rates?
Absolutely no idea here, sorry.

I'll see if I can find out

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

precision posted:

This game also has a poo poo ton of Paragon/Renegade options so you really don't need to stick to one out of habit; it's much more fun to just pick the option that fits your current Shep.

(Actually that's true in ME2 as well, just to a lesser extent)

Like, even not having up to the first bar worth of Renegade, I still haven't seen more than a couple grayed out Renegade options.

Reputation works differently in me3. Things are greyed out based on your overall reputation level, not your paragon/renegade score. You can have a full paragon colored reputation bar and can pick whatever renegade option you want. You're no longer rail roared into choosing one or the other.

Reputation is received from side quests, main quests, and chatting to most characters. They're neutral. Paragon and renegade points increase your Reputation score as well as change the color of the reputation bar on the character page so you can track your Shepard's Personality.

It's a much better system that let's you Roleplay more and not be locked out of decisions because you want to be mixed alignment. You can be a straight paragon through the entire game and take the very last big renegade check in the game - I did it in my first play through.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Ashley is boring as hell since I brought her onto the ship. I really need to finish my ME1 perfect Femshep save so that I can save Kaidan, bring her through ME2, and kick rear end in ME3. I never did finish ME2 with a Femshep. Weird.
Having now experienced them both throughout the games, Ashley was easily the more boring and unsatisfying of the two.

Team kaidan - you get mad dope abilities (reave and barrier as bonus powers let you make some pretty interesting adept/vanguard bonus power builds), awkward gay sex and a character with much better character development that eventually puts him on par with Liara and garrus in the space bro club. Romancing him as male Shepard also gets you one of the less creepy/saccharine romances in the game.

Also Ashley's make over makes me wish I knew how to mod so I could hack in her old model into the game because urgh.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

404notfound posted:

Wait, seriously? So I've been taking the paragon option no matter what and missing out on some preferable choices? And also missing telling Kelly to change her name because it was in the renegade slot and I skipped right past it?

If reputation is completely different from paragon and renegade now, where is it tracked?
Yes, you have.

Reputation is the reputation bar on your character page. Paragon reputation points change the % color of that bar to blue, renegade to red. Both add reputation points. The game reads your reputation level only for decisions allowing you freedom to Roleplay how you want based in whether you have the reputation to get away with what you want to do.

Paragon/renegade is personal flavor to see how well you've personally gone with your decisions and also effects your scarring if you did not have surgery to remove it in me2

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

twistedmentat posted:

On my vanguard broshep, my weapons are so light cooldowns are only a few seconds. Ziping everywhere like a banshee.

Though I know its been posted before, but what are the best final options for charge/nova combo?

Also, as my broshep is black, and wears a hoodie, I can't help but think Space Fox News is running stories "Can we really trust Commander Shepard? Does he really look like our idea of a hero of earth? "

If you're playing insanity, I'd take full barrier recharge on charge and half-barrier use on nova. The additional survivability and not blowing out all your shields after a nova can buy you the precious,few seconds you need to survive between charges.

What's a good bonus power for a vanguard? Is barrier worth the cool down reduction for the increased survivability and the detonate power (lift everything around you then charge/nova and blow it up)?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Gaz-L posted:

A black, hoodie-wearing, shotgun-toting, possibly-gay hero who lives by a code that others may not agree with...

Oh, indeed...
Must find Omar little face code now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

Mazerunner posted:

I like Reave as a bonus power for Vanguards, damage reduction is always good, and since it acts as both a source and a detonator for biotic blasts it combos really well with your (team mates) other powers.
this is what I was thinking as well, especially area reave when you can hit a good 5-6 of them at once and have several things to explode into with your charge

quote:

Personally I don't like half-blast, it messes up my rhythm too much. Besides, between 200% cooldown reduction off the weapons, 25% from Nova rank 5a, and up to 50% from armour bonuses, charge for me is ready to go even before I finish Nova. Honestly, I found that being able to do devastating damage quickly and then zip off and be full-health again to be more useful. The times where I'd have liked to keep some barriers in reserve, like against Atlases or Turrets didn't seem to make a difference, since turrets don't stop firing and will finish you off in the few moments between Novas, and Atlases will either fire a rocket or do a melee smash and knock you back, which seems to leave me with about the same amount of health left no matter how much I had when hit. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something? (This is on insanity also).

I only suggested half-blast because I've found it invaluable in multiplayer where I'll be in a situation where an enemy I had planned to charge will be dead (killed by a team-mate) and suddenly I'm stranded without shields and need to quickly re-adjust to charge something or die. In gold difficulty you get barely less than a second to make that adjustment - I suppose this is an entirely different ball-game in single player though where you have a lot more control over the battlefield, can pause and can really dictate when/what targets die for the most part.

quote:

Non-related question: Sometimes squaddies will comment on previous mission, does this change if you took them with you? For example, after meeting up with the Salarian councilor, Javik says something like, I heard about this Kai Leng human you encountered, blah blah, does anyone know if that line changes if he was in your squad during that mission?
Yeah these change albeit very slightly, if you bring Javik with you to Uttuku to meet Grunt, he'll have some different things to say about him aboard the normandy and has some unique conversation with grunt too. He also celebrates the death of the reaper on tuchanka with some slightly different dialogue.

• Locked thread