Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Okay so I'm considering finishing up an insanity run on all three games because I have too much free time.

What are the classes/weapons/squadmates that will make this the least frustrating? From what I remember in Mass Effect 1, soldier is essentially invulnerable due to Fitness being made broken if you completely focus on it, but I haven't played the game in years so I don't know if I just made that up and stuff.

Also is it better to do your insanity runs with low level characters or the highest level guys that you make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I would recommend staying on the outer ring and fight and move along it until you reach the big dividing wall which let me cut down on the number of angles I was attack from and clear out one side before tackling the other. This allowed me to keep moving and stay in cover as you only have to deal with enemies on the outer ring if you use cover intelligently because you'll have an elevation advantage.

Running to any of the lower levels is just an excuse to get ganged up on from all sides.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

SiliconX posted:

Edit: achievement question. I take it the only way to get the "Overload the shields of 100 enemies" can only be done if you're an Engineer or Sentinel? I recall ME2, using squadmate Overload counted toward the achievement but it doesn't in this one, I've used Garrus' overload every chance I got and still at 0/100. Unless I'm missing something?

It has to be your Shepard overloading shields. It's rather easy to get all of the "Use X power Y Times" achievements if you just play multiplayer and spam the hell out of your powers.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Ambiguatron posted:

I don't seem them selling the dog that does absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't be so sure given past experiences...

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Alternate_Appearance_Pack

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I guess I'll keep her around unless she annoys me as much as she seems to annoy everyone else.

It's interesting how ME3 brings back some ME1 mechanics. Pretty cool to play with. One thing it has is actual sprinting in combat, not just a faster jog. That brings me to a question--what determined how you ran in ME1? It seemed like it randomly chose between a run and a sprint.

When the game engine decided you where "in combat" I think. It allowed you to sprint for a limited time and melee things while sprinting. It made meleeing enemies really awkward in close quarters.

Saving all of the Feros colonists in particular :argh:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Seriously though, considering I've 100% the acheivements for ME2, and 3, it's really calling for me to finish the last of the ones I need for ME1. I just don't think I can bring myself to play through it on Insanity, or with Kaiden.

The only achievements I have left for ME that aren't "Do x skill 75 times" are Kaiden/Ashley Squadmates ones, hardcore, insanity and a couple of weapon ones.

I'm planning on just abusing Immunity on a Soldier Shepard for the non-ability ones and then just rushing an engineer and adept play through on casual to get the skill ones.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

magimix posted:

The last achievements I unlocked for ME1 were the Pinnacle Station ones. But the last *base game* achievement I got was the Insanity one (24/04/2008. I'll remember it forever!). Man, ME1 Insanity was a loving chore! Did that one run, and never touched ME1 Insanity again.

I lost my first mass effect save when I got mass effect 2 so I played an ultimate completionist run of every quest in ME including Pinnacle Station in preparation for that.

So glad I don't have to do that poo poo again.

Edit: Before I start this poo poo again, Immunity tanking is the right way to make hardcore/insanity trivial right? I really don't want to be too frustrated aka biotics not working on those loving combat drones on the moon :argh:

Zikan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 9, 2012

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Elysiume posted:

How sparse are war assets? I know that leaving Chakwas gets me a handful of assets (because I blundered into that looking stuff up for something else), but I'd rather have her on board than not.

Chakwas is worth like 25 war assets, but the game that has thousands of points worth. It is not going to make a difference.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I think I'm approaching the end of the game so I'm already thinking about my renegade shep run. I'm torn between engy, infil and soldier (what I used last time.) My first run as usual was as a Sentinel and I'm wondering how an engy or infil could even survive something like the final rush in the Rachni cave where enemies are just plunked down at arm's length all around you.

For my infiltrator I super abused sniper rifle time dilation and cloaking during that part because i brought Garrus and Liara, no real tanks.

Time Dilation with the sniper rifle is really useful. It's basically a mini adrenaline rush that has little cooldown if you can consistently land headshots. There's a reason why infiltrators are considered one of the easiest charters to beat ME2 Insanity with!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Piedmon Sama posted:

Not to complain but it's so dumb the Quarian fleet gives you more points than the Geth. How is a raggedy-rear end bunch of space gypsies worth more than a race of billions of programs that can upload to new platforms and ships instantly, and build materials faster than anyone else? :downsgun:

If you rewrite the Geth heretics during Legion's loyalty misson in ME2, the Geth actually give you more points due to having greater numbers :ssh:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Speaking of the geth and quarians, is there any way to modify my save to change my points on this mission? I'm not sure what I did wrong in ME2 but I can never get my 5 points in ME3.

Edit - just to be clear I did do the following:
Mission to save the admiral (+1)
Save the admiral, rather than saving the civilians (+1)
Stop Tali from getting exiled in ME2 (+2)
Make peace between Tali and Legion in ME2 (+1)

You also need a near maxed out reputation bar, otherwise the peace conversation options are not available.

Zikan fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 30, 2012

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Workin my way through this game. I just played the part where you cure the genophage and gently caress yeah it ruled. Wrex rules, Mordin rules, and THRESHER MAW VS. REAPER rules.

Yeah Tucchanka really is the high point of the game. I like to imagine that the Reaper is yelling WHAT THE gently caress THIS IS loving BULLSHIT WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS loving THING in Reaper honks as it dies from Kalros

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I forgot how mind numbingly bad the weapon progression is in ME1. You start off being barely able to hit anything and having to do 3 round burst for your assault rifles, then suddenly your guns are superguns and shotguns can snipe people across the room.

Although I do miss immunity tanking. Master Immunity + Immunity Specialization = Never die unless you take 7 rockets to the face.

The inventory system is as still as bad as I remember :gonk:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

First ME2 insanity playthrough is going well I've only died a few times, this isn't bad...

*Dies 5 times in a row to Geth Colossus fight*

Why the gently caress does it have to have infinite reinforcements, that's the only thing that fucks me over :argh:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Why post old fan art when you have this?

This is now the true ending and nothing can convince me otherwise.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

My favorite little thing in the suicide mission is when the script outright tries to get Jacob killed by having him volunteer to go in the vents.

Well if he really wants to do it, who am I to stop him? :haw:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

HardDisk posted:

On my run only Legion and Jack died.

Legion died when he was closing the door right after the tube section.

Jack died being the leader of the distraction team, for some reason.

Why would you have Jack, who doesn't get along with anyone or ever shown any leadership potential lead the distraction team :psyduck:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Sniper Party posted:

Did you aim to get everyone else in the team killed instead?

I still think this is what should happen if you choose Zaeed to lead a fireteam. A number of squadmates die but enemy numbers are reduced,.Zaeed says in the next cutscene "I was the only one who made it out alive."

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Part of me wishes you could send Grunt into the vents so you get the krogan equivalent of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMfUt3c5qw

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Vega is surprisingly good for being completely new to the series because they made him a real gun-ho jarhead instead of boring like Jacob and Kaiden. Which of course means machismo and being really dumb.

I've been meaning to take him through my next playthrough as apparently all the other squadmates poke fun at him constantly during missions.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, the one that a ton of data was collected on by Cerberus. Also this is a world where video recorders do exist so all it would take is one person making a recording of the ship. And since the crew made several logs, there you go! Just becuase the ship got destroyed doesn't mean all the evidence of its existence did as well. Unless the council thinks the geth would purposefully blow up one of their own hyper advanced ships and then carefully place it in a star nobody had any reason to look at.

Of course, Shepard and Cerberus might have been to stupid to keep any of this, in which case the idiocy is just shifted to the other side. Either way it sucks.

I think your vastly overestimating the collective intelligence of Cerberus "let's feed thresher maws Alliance soliders because this will totally help humanity" plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Just encounter a wonderful bug during single player on the x-box 360, my character can't pick up any ammo even when his weapons are empty! This is especially annoying as I'm playing a soldier and am now effective useless! Saving and reloading doesn't fix it so i'll guess I'll have to restart this mission. Or this playthrough if it carries over.

• Locked thread