Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't actually played ME3 yet, but judging by the discussion in this thread (major Rannoch spoiler) the ME series hasn't really cast the Quarians in the most sympathetic light. It works better for me from a dramatic standpoint to force the choice of genociding the Quarians vs genociding the Geth and... you know what, gently caress the Quarians. The Geth weren't the ones who couldn't let sleeping dogs lie. Do the Quarians ever actually do anything to particularly redeem themselves or is it just "gently caress peaceful coexistence, kill every last Geth and take back our homeworld"? Yeah it kinda sucks that Tali's entire world crumbles around her (literally) and causes her to kill herself, but hey, that's war for you. Doing what makes your squeeze happy at the potential cost of billions of lives is a great way to get your entire side killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

Actually it really hammers home that the quarians did some really awful and lovely things to the geth and their own people during the Morning War. Taking everything into account it's pretty hard to even side with the Quarians at all especially since they blew up their Dyson Sphere and killed an absolute shitload of Geth in an unprovoked attack. It also sheds a little more insight on Legions origins It's highly likely one of his platforms was the very first Geth to take up arms against the Quarians. He still utilizes the same sniper rifle and gets weird when you ask him about it just like the N7 armor

tl;dr gently caress the quarians and the horse they rode on.

Then it kinda sucks that they made the Quarians so one-dimensional. I mean, seriously, they just got together a big war fleet and they were like "alright, listen up, we're not under any active threat but let's go sneak attack their main population center and genocide those fuckers" and nobody spoke up and said "whoa there hey that's kinda seriously not cool". None of the Quarians alive at the time the story takes place were even alive during the Morning War! What are they, space Nazis?

It kinda makes them less convincing, in a way, and reminds me of Tela Vasir from LotSB in ME2. Everyone seemed to really like her character, but she was too one-dimensionally evil and bitchy to seem all that convincing. Even the actual showdown with her in the middle of the DLC isn't particularly tense or challenging, they just built up this character for you to hate and then gave you about five minutes to beat the crap out of her because she has like a million hit points but never really grabs cover or hits you all that hard.

Oh yeah and having to play ME3 MP in order to access a good chunk of the SP storyline is going to be really fun 5-10 years from now (isn't ME1 over five years old at this point? People still replay ME1, and not just to set up an ME3 character). But hey, this is EA we're talking about. Five years from now ain't gonna show up on the quarterlies so gently caress them.

Don't get me wrong I still like the ME series as a whole, and given the constraints they have to work in I respect Bioware's development team tremendously, it's just a pity that good studios/franchises get systematically eaten up by the likes of EA/Activision, then maximally exploited for the short term, chewed up, and spat out. I fear we're going to have a lost decade of unplayable games with dead DRM servers pretty soon.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Alright, buckled down and bought ME3 despite the mixed feelings. All in all it doesn't feel like an improvement on ME2 so far, though I enjoyed the hell out of ME2 so that's no big loss.

The combat improvements are pretty nice, but they're kinda offset by Shep's tendency to dive around all over the place when I just want to leave cover. Given that the game is an RPGized cover based shooter the cover shooting mechanics are still a bit annoying. Also, sometimes the HUD becomes unresponsive to mouse clicks for extended periods of time, usually when I really really need covering power deployment :|

Vanguard is still as fun as ever, though I'm not really getting the love for Nova at the moment. Yep, let's charge into the middle of some dudes and then turn my shields into a big energy pulse so I can't make it back into cover. Really its main use for me is gratuitously overkilling Combat Engineers into a pink mist because jesus loving christ I HATE those guys.

Scanning, weapon customization, the equipment weight mechanic and power trees are all excellent improvements on their equivalents in ME2 and ME1. Hopefully holding that opinion doesn't make me the mainstream cancer killing Mass Effect's RPGness, but honestly it has a lot more depth than ME2, not less, and I can't see anyone objecting to not having to do tedious scanning chores anymore.

Speaking of tedious chores, though, probably my biggest complaint so far (I'm still not very far into the game) would be the Citadel missions, as well as their general bugginess. After the Priority Missions I've done it's all "oh great, now I have to go do some chores on the Citadel, because apparently if you do too many Priority Missions then you lose Citadel mission options". There's no character or story development, they're just lovely fetch quests which sometimes don't even work right (after spending two hours running around the Citadel it turns out that my Hanar Diplomat mission glitched. I activated surveillance on the Hanar terminals and nothing happened, the terminals that are supposed to be interactable aren't. And I had Kasumi on-side too. Oh well, sucks to be the Hanar then).

The combat ramp-up is a bit brutal as well, but that's not that big a deal. The main issues was that I'm playing on Hardcore and it took me something like 30 attempts to clear the end of the Eden Prime DLC. By the end of it I'd learned a great deal about flanking, grenade avoidance, and general Vanguarding skills, and I was massacring the enemy but there was just no loving ammunition anywhere and I didn't really have any offensive spells in my loadout. Liara holds her own but Vega is incredibly poo poo at holding off Cerberus dudes, EDI fembot completely demolishes them but I didn't have her at this point. And loving Javik rewarded me for that gauntlet of bullshit by pitching camp on the Normandy then taking a nap for the next two missions. Grr.

By comparison I did the Grissom academy Atrium battle that everyone's bitching about on the second attempt. Stormed the high-ground in both sections and had my team-mates hurl biotic hell down on the enemies below with the occasional shotgun blast from me for moral support :v: Things get a lot more fun once you get the hang of dodging loving grenades and avoiding turret fire. I just wish I could carry a lightweight situational sniper rifle as well, but eh, I can deal. Maybe I'll respec as a Soldier or Infiltrator next time.

Oh, also the load screens apparently have some sort of help text on them but I never have enough time to read more than the first sentence :v: and this is on a PC HDD that definitely got held back a few grades at school, load times on all my other games are really lovely.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ಠ_ಠ

man gently caress the Quarians. War Assets notwithstanding I don't even want to save them at this point.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Anti-Hero posted:

Anyone else notice that Jacob Taylor's teeth are hosed up looking? Didn't they look like loving veneers in ME2?

I don't know if it's just me but EVERYONE looks subtly and disturbingly different in ME3. Probably most pronounced is Bailey, but Anderson and Jacob look different somehow too. Though given that Anderson used to look like a piece of boiled meat in ME1 and ME2, and actually looks human in ME3 I'm not going to complain. It's mostly just the random people with crazy-saturated eyes that creep me out.

Well at least it's not just Shep who looks strangely different :haw:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Phillip Kollar, the writer and associate editor for Game Informer, tweeted:

So there you go, entitled nerds! Turns out you are all terrible.

It's true, though. A new/updated ending DLC is never in a million years going to happen. Making that demand of a writer or project lead or whatever is about as respectful as unzipping and pissing in his face. You're saying "That thing you spent five years designing and nurturing for five years by yourself, that nobody comprehends more intimately than you? I know better how it should be built than you do." For better or for worse, it's what we've got.

In other news, can someone suggest an alternative shore party to taking EDI fembot and Liara? Having Singularity on a long-term party member is just incredibly OP and that other character complements her abilities perfectly. Neither of them can attack for poo poo, but they defense-strip and paralyze enemies so effectively that it just doesn't matter, nothing survives an Overload, Charge, and Nova, especially after a Singularity picks up whoever hasn't quite been put out of their misery. The DLC character has some nice dialogue but in battle he's all bark and no bite, his DoT attack takes way too long to be useful.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They produced a creative work in the form that they envisioned. You can appreciate for its merits or dislike it because it doesn't suit your taste, but you are owed no respect by its creator, nor do I see how a story that doesn't address you directly is disrespectful

I understand how the ending might leave you with a sour taste in your mouth in light of the emotional attachment you've developed to the story's characters, but they're not YOUR characters, they are the writers' characters. I suppose a less vulgar analogy would be like lecturing a parent on how he/she should be raising his or her children.

I hope you don't take offence to this post, by the way, I do not mean it as a personal attack. Just trying to present an alternative viewpoint.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

By the way, Mr Dog, this is horseshit. As a huge Mass Effect fan I'm intimately familiar with the development process and I know how little they planned poo poo out.

The reality is, 4 months ago the game ending was completely different.

This is not a single-author creative work, it is a video game where tons of compromises and iterations are made. Stop treating it like it's a Phillip K Dick novel. There's no artist to respect because this is the work of a team of people, many of whom I am sure hate the ending as much as we do.

If you say so. I personally think the demand is disrespectful, but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual development team disagrees, in which case I've certainly got no right to speak for them. Given the constraints of big-budget development schedules, it could well be that they're not happy with how it turned out either, and they can present this petition as a mandate to their management to update the story so that it more closely matches their vision.

thefncrow posted:

If you're just relying on your second for Overload, you could go with Garrus. He's got overload in addition to having useful combat abilities. But, yeah, that ended up being my team eventually, especially since I was playing soldier and could take down enemies with relative ease once their shields/barriers were down.

aack, this thread moves so fast. Yeah I think it just so happens that those two are the perfect match for a highly aggressive class like Vanguard. I mean, Garrus can shield-strip, but he can't incinerate. Tali can steal shields to stay alive, and she has a shotgun to put out more as well. It's just that the ability to strip both shields AND armor complements the ability to AoE stun undefended enemies really well.

A different shore party probably works better for less aggressive classes like Adepts or Inflitrators, though in ME2 I had a go-to party for dealing with Collectors and Blood Pack, and a completely different shore party for dealing with Eclipse and Blue Suns. I guess the combination of Nova and Charge makes the Vanguard so powerful that the other classes feel gimped in comparison, though. Still, it's fun enough that I'm not going to complain, and I can probably still get some mileage out of a sniper-centric build in future plays. At least I'd get to actually pilot an Atlas for once instead of going all :black101: on it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers but is losing all your 'readiness' rating a confirmed bug? I had basically 100% and now it's down to 0% despite having all the assets listed

Given that it's linked into an aggressively-pushed Multiplayer, it's probably some overzealous DRM backfiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so, prequel.

cool. :yawn:

• Locked thread