Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I almost lost my poo poo when (funny stuff spoiler)Eve got Mordin to sing the krogan queen song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LazyDivey posted:

drat this game. I teared up when Mordin died :cry: I loved that Salarian

:smith::hf::smith: The most tragic of moments. :cry: Had to be me. Someone else would have gotten it wrong.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nephilm posted:

Just pick a damage class and kill everything. Just as ME2 was easier than ME1, ME3 is easier than both.

This is true. I'm actually a bit surprised at how well I'm cruising through this, considering I'm doing my first play with a completely unhinged Vanguard ABC'ing my way through Hardcore. My next run will be on insanity, but for the first one I more or less wanted to cruise, I guess. Didn't expect it would be this easy though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
God drat, this loving game... I'm already 22 hours in. (BIG loving spoiler)I thought it was bad when we lost Mordin, but....:cry: Legion, noooooo you were my bro :cry:

Also, (not as big, this is more mechanics really) My total combat strength is super high, but... my readiness is stuck at 50% and I have no idea how to raise it. Pic linked since I guess some would call this screen a spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/wXp3G.png - If I could get that to even 70% I would have my Effective military strength maxed out. How do I increase readiness percentage?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

JaundiceDave posted:

you have to do multiplayer to raise your readiness. it goes up like 4% per game or so and its like 15 or 20 minutes each

Wait, that's it? poo poo, I'll have that down in no time then. I've just been so glued to the campaign that I haven't even touched the MP yet since the demo. Thanks!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

seal it with a kiss posted:

This game owns bones. Some of the stuff that we saw in the script is admittedly bad, but not as terrible as it turned out to be. This is at least as good as Mass Effect 2.

Hell, I'd say it's hands down better. I'm about 26 hours in and while the script isn't exactly going to win any fiction awards, I'm enjoying it. Then add to that what is far and away the best gameplay and mechanics of the series, really cool new enemies (gently caress phantoms) and ...poo poo, I can't remember the last time I played anything that was this much fun.

There are some little things that bug me here and there but they seem very trivial compared to the overall experience.

E: Also, totally unrelated:

How are you guys building your Vanguards? I'm level 55 and I have 40 points just sitting around collecting dust. Should I crank up cryo ammo and play around with that or something? Everything that actually matters is already maxed out.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 8, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Wingless posted:

It's so obvious you haven't finished it yet. You'll be back.

...welp. (Ending) Really? How in the bloody hell did that get past the cutting room floor? You couldn't put an ending that horrible in a 3rd grade play and get away with it, and this was a multimillion dollar production. I mean... Really? What the hell were you thinking, Bioware? :ughh: And right up to the point Shepard got hit by the laser this was one of the best games I'd ever played.

You know what? gently caress that. Here's a fun thought exercise that will be much more satisfying. Make up your own ending and forget whatever that bizarre bullshit was. My Shep is drinking wine with Liara at a beach somewhere and yelling at a little blue kid not to wander off too far. :colbert:

Granted, that's not the best example of said thought exercise but that one sentence I thought up in about 10 seconds is better than the real ending. Jesus Christ.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rei_ posted:

I'm going to need to sit down with a loving guide all the way through this game so nothing bad happens, aren't I?

The guide won't save you from the poo poo ending, sadly. I still feel like I got rickrolled in space or something.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 8, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Also, where do you find Thane? I never saw him in the game. He just suddenly appeared on the memorial board, so obviously I know he dies. He and Kelly were the only two I never found, but I never even bothered with Kelly in 2.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

onemanlan posted:

Why was Joker traveling through the Mass Relay during the end game cinematic(one for destroying everything) when there was a massive battle around EarthAlso I'm a little confused as to what exactly created the Reapers in the first place. I know you talk to that entity at the end, but was he supposed to be a god, a previous human like race, or other? I was a bit tired so I probably glossed over a bit or was anticipating more Reaper knowledge that I didn't get.

(Ending)
That's just it, the ending doesn't explain anything. It just felt like some bizarre rear end pull reset button. Why couldn't they have gone with "Yay, now you've hooked up the WMD that we can wreck reapers with, let's do this poo poo!", blow up the reapers, and give us a Fallout Slideshow of everyone's retirement? That really would have been good enough for me, although the lack of an actual final boss was pretty horrible.

They mention that Harbinger is coming, why doesn't he jack up the Citadel when you board it? Injured Shep vs. Space Cthulhu would have been pretty great. You run all MGS4 slow and have to fight off husks while reaching checkpoints to activate the Crucible. Even that would have been better than just an argument with TIM. Not to mention, I wanted to shoot that motherfucker myself!

Ugh. I just can't see what they were thinking or why anyone would think this was good. And up to that point where Shepard walks into the Citadel it was one of my favorite games ever.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

thetrin posted:

For those who have finished the game:

Do I just need to get my EMS to the MINIMUM line on the bar in order to get the best ending? Because even at 55%, my EMS is almost at that line.

Your EMS needs to be just about double the whole bar. The bar turns full green at around 2500-2700 (I finished the game at about 3k but it was full green before that), you need 5k to get the best ending.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

thetrin posted:

Wait, it need to be double the full whole bar? What does that mean? There are two bars?

No, it's just the requirement for the best ending is astronomically high. Multiplayer is required.

The bar fills at 5000 TOTAL strength, and you'll need it all for the best ending. Without MP this is only 2500 effective.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

thetrin posted:

That is really stupid. God dammit. Does the game give any indication when you're near the end of the game? I would like to go play some multiplayer right before I reach the end so I can increase my readiness.

Yes. It warns you, although it isn't as big of a blatant "Hey guys this is The Point of No Return" as the Omega-4 Relay was.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Anyway, about the ending:
People have brought up the Fallout endings to contrast and the Deus Ex endings to compare and it really works. Fallout's endings have generally been "here are the results of your work. Here are the lives and communities you have encountered. How they have thrived and how they have suffered as a result of you." while Deus Ex was all "make a choice that will decide the course of all humanity. Because these choices are fundamental changes in life and society we can only conjecture what it would mean for everyone involved, so just imagine an ending."

Mass Effect should have gone for the Fallout style, but it went for the Deus Ex ending, and it did so without laying down a philosophical foundation upon which to build on providing no context by which to explore any of the possibilities beforehand.

Exactly. (Ending) And honestly I would have been so happy with just a Fallout Slideshow that tells us where things go from here. Instead they destroy the pillars of galactic society (the relays and the citadel) and force you into a bizarre decision that's never been looked at before from any perspective. Also, the decision SUCKS. Why would I want to kill the Geth? I fought for them. I saved them from the Reapers and the Quarians alike. No, I don't want to be a machine. I want to be me! No, I don't want to dissipate into AI form and become the new Reapers. There's not one decent choice to be made.

I could deal with that if there was some rationale behind it, but there isn't. There's a five minute argument with TIM about the fact that he's been indoctrinated. I wanted him to turn into reaper spawn that I had to kill. He'd have been an awesome final boss. At the end of the day this is a game, not a dissertation on philosophy.

Going into this, I was expecting a much simpler ending, or set of endings, that I believe would have worked much better. Ending possibilities: 1) Your Anti-Reaper WMD (the crucible) works, but you have to put in the work to make it happen. You win and it's okay, you and your LI retire somewhere and have blue babies if it's Liara. 2) Your Anti-Reaper WMD works, but the losses are really really bad. Shepard isn't retiring, because he/she has to help rebuild what little is left of a broken world. 3) Your Anti-Reaper WMD doesn't work because you didn't rally enough support to help hold off the reapers while you plug it in. Rocks fall, everyone dies. I'd have been very happy with that.

Instead, no matter what you actually do, every loving ending is... well, Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 9, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ham posted:

I think it's impossible to get Galactic readiness past 7000 anyway. I did everything in the game (except From Ashes) and it was 6900.

I had over 7200. That said, I don't believe 10k is possible.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

tehllama posted:

So now that I've watched the other endings:

The big objection I have to the ending is one I've actually had a few times to recent works of epic sci-fi/fantasy. A lot of writers wrapping up big works seem to get worried that if the ending is a happy one they'll miss the catharsis, that the story won't be as meaningful or as epic. Arbitrarily sacrificing the protagonist is, frankly, usually the easiest and cheapest way out of this. You give them a "meaningful" sacrifice and assume that your audience will be suitably moved by their selflessness. Never mind if the choice they had to make was deus ex-d in last moment, or it didn't make sense in the first place. You have your tragic end to your great hero. You would think at the end of a three game trilogy they'd have come up with something less lazy than this.

See, and that's honestly all nonsense to me. I didn't want some bizarre god end. I'd have been happy as poo poo with a picture of Shep and Liara on a beach somewhere. Garrus helping Tali build her new house (Those two romance if you didn't romance either). Ten thousand Geth saying "We are... Legion." Joker teaching EDI to laugh. Vega and Ashley playing poker. That would have been the catharsis. I could go on but you get the idea. Story over. Good guys won.

Then, because this is a ME game where choices build your future, there should be another where none of that happens and people die all over the place. Make the good one hard to get and make this what most people see when they first finish the game. Give me a reason to get it right.

Maybe another in the middle that is halfway between? I don't know.

I wanted a resolution to Shepard's story, not some deus ex machina about the whole galaxy. I didn't play this game because of the galaxy, I played it because of Shepard and the people around her that gave everything to save it. That's what I wanted to see.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nickname Pending posted:

Completely agree with this. I wanted the Crucible to fire some shot that blew up all reapers. I wanted Shepard to be hailed as the galaxy's greatest hero. I wanted to see everyone starting to rebuild, especially now that pretty much all races are unified. But instead...

Yes! Exactly! (Ending Spoilers) And I'd even be cool with you having to get a certain rating for this to even be possible. Hell, that's what I expected. Say, you get X amount to prevent complete destruction, then have to get X*2 amount (high as gently caress) to get that good end I talked about. I'd play like a motherfucker for that. I want Shepard to be decorated in a ceremony and retire with her LI and the lives of all these people she's interacted with to be devoted to the new, reaper-free galaxy... not stranded on some gilligan's planet or DEAD. They really dropped the ball here.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

r1ngwthszzors posted:

The ME universe is pretty well realized. I think its very natural for there to be spinoffs or sequels for ME. Maybe a subscription MMO would be bad, but something Guild Wars 2 style would be great. The coop multiplayer is already pretty fantastic.

Well, the problem is, destroying the pillars of the galaxy (relays, citadel) kinda fucks the future in the face, doesn't it?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hobo Siege posted:

Another thing. Where the gently caress were the reapers in all this? They had more of a narrative presence in the two games before their arrival than they did in this one. I assumed I would get a chance to face down Harbinger. That I would be personally menaced by them somehow, that they would start to creep their way into my head from overexposure. In the end, all I got was a brief dialogue with a half-dead nobody destroyer.

This wouldn't be so infuriating if the rest of the game weren't so drat endearing. What the gently caress happened at Bioware? Did the studio catch fire at the end of production?

I don't know. :smith:

Hell, that's what I expected at the end. I was practically twitching at the thought of the final battle against Harbinger, where I'd kick his loving rear end and run the reapers out of the galaxy for good. I don't think there's any adaptation of what happened that can make me less disappointed in what we got instead. I really hate this.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

GruntyThrst posted:

shoot Udina right in the guddamned chest.

I don't think I've ever encountered a more satisfying video game moment than this. Even blowing up Megaton in Fallout 3 doesn't come close.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

You need to have imported a L60 character (which requires a NG+ run of ME1) in order to get to L30 without the +25% XP bonus you get from having already beat the game.

I don't think I've ever heard of people getting to L30 without a L60 import on the first playthrough. Though, the addition of later DLCs might have changed that.

poo poo, I imported a level 60 character from ME1 and still only hit 28 in ME2 on the first go before the DLC came around, which managed to max it.

With 3 I finished my first run of that same imported character at level 58.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of terrible characters, did anyone who invited Allers onto their ship not end up regretting it?

Does it count if I just completely forgot she was there for the rest of the game?

• Locked thread