Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This game is way better than I expected, but [character reveal spoiler]EDI-bot is maximum creepy. Though her joke about forgetting to cycle the Normandy's oxygen was great for Shepard's reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
A Mako joke and a gay bear joke in the same conversation, GOTY

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

rock2much posted:

I don't need to have one of each gun type on me then this time around huh? I'm guessing a shotty, a rifle and a heavy pistol?

Just a shotgun and a pistol. Leave the long-range fighting to your allies, you're gonna be in the thick of it. You want your power recharge rate as high as it can go; if you ain't Charging, you ain't poo poo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
No I never regret being a Vanguard because there is nothing to regret when you are a human pinball of biotic hellfire.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

r1ngwthszzors posted:

What do you guys do to those shield guardians? I've actually been getting my rear end kicked as Vanguard. Feels like I'm playing ME2 again on hardcore (normal was faceroll easy so I stepped up.)

Also, spacebar is so annoying.

One point in Pull.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

So how do you find places like the Attican Traverse or the Shrike Abyssal? Are there star maps I have to purchase, or what?

More systems show up the further you get into the game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The (geth mission spoiler)virtual reality mission to shut down the server felt like I was fulfilling the description of the illegal Shepard VI from ME2. I delete data like you on the way to real errors :black101:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

fookolt posted:

What should I be focusing on in terms of points for Vanguard? I always used to just play soldier in ME1 and ME2 :sigh:

Also, I'm guessing there's no way to skip through the beginning?

One point in Pull. Max out Charge, with the final upgrade being 100% shields, then Assault Mastery prioritizing maxing out weight capacity, then power damage. Then Fitness and Nova at the same time.

By level 30, you will be Charging almost literally every second and practically invincible with your shields refilling every time.

Ignore Shockwave, bonus power is whatever you want but I prefer an ammo power so it doesn't impede my constant Charging.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

fivegears4reverse posted:

Inconsistent dialogue in Mass Effect has been a franchise staple since the first game, but nobody bitched about it back then. If anything, people praised ME1 for having great dialogue...despite the fact that it actually didn't have any really good dialogue at all. Ever. At any point.

"Big, stupid jellyfish."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

1stGear posted:

This ends up better than it sounds. The fundamental idea wasn't bad, its just that, in classic Bioware fashion, they had to sex it all up.

The part where you'll want to uninstall is when (ending spoilers)a hologram of a kid you saw die in the first half-hour walks up to you. Just stop there and pretend something else happened.

For me, the game ended when Anderson told Shepard she'd done good. The Crucible worked, and the Reapers were destroyed, remaining a sourceless, unknowable wave of destruction. An hour later, a team finds them still sitting in their same places, laughing and deciding where to get smashed after they're patched up.

I don't want whatever poo poo they gave me, I brought all of these races together and damned if I'm going to be told it's all for nothing because the relays got blown up.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 9, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

chumpchous posted:

Hey so do the Nemesis assume your character class/sex? I'm playing a female infiltrator and they're female infiltrators, just curious.

No, Nemeses are female infiltrators.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

JaundiceDave posted:

so, this is the biggest renegade thing you can do on tuchanka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1FAxiUAoo

who would do this, honestly. i mean come on

That is hosed up, but Mordin yelling out "I made a mistake!" sent a chill down my spine. The voice acting really is at its goddamn best in this game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

User0015 posted:

I was curious about a class discussion thread as well. I think I'm going to do a renegade run using downloaded saves + Gibbed's editor to set everything up and port it to my Xbox. The question is, what class should I pick? My current run is pure adept with max Pull/Throw/Warp, Pull/Throw x2 and tons of cooldown reduction.

Combat consists of throwing out two Pulls every single second and then Throwing at anything that isn't shielded/armored. Warp for shielded enemies. Grenades for armored enemies/loving Turrets. But I'm tired of spamming Y until half the battlefield is hovering around my head, then a Throw that causes Biotic Explosions that send guys everywhere. I need combat a little more...visceral? A little more death-defying? More awesome?

It's just not enough. I need more. I want to punch an Atlas to death, goddamnit! I want to walk up to(or arrive at) a loving Turret and just punch the engineer cowering behind it in the face, then break his little toys. I want to Not Give A gently caress, ever, in any circumstance against any enemy.

Vanguard Vanguard VANGUARD. Put one point in Pull, max out Charge prioritizing recharge speed and shield recharge, then Assault Mastery prioritizing recharge speed and weight capacity, then Nova and Fitness in equal parts. Ignore Shockwave, carry only a heavy pistol and a shotgun. Leave the long-range to your squad members, you're gonna be right in everyone's personal space Charging literally every second and a half, nigh-invincible with every charge restoring your shields to 100%. Give no fucks, and tell it to everyone's face as you shatter their teeth with biotic destruction.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
fart

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 12, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Noxville posted:

My alternate ending: Corporal Jenkins awakes with a start and realizes he just dreamed the entire series while awaiting the start of their mission to Eden Prime.

And still dies getting shot in the dick by geth drones.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I missed the M99-Saber assault rifle on my first playthrough. My word, I have a new favorite gun. It's the Fallout 2 bozar all over again which basically means it's the best thing ever :woop:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Noni posted:

In my version of that DLC scene, Tali removes her mask and everyone in the room gags from 20 years of unwashed pleather hitting their noses.

Mass Effect as a whole has a severe shortage of Shepard's group collectively going "Ohhhhh!" in disgust.

EDIT:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Elysiume posted:

I actually like ME2's way a lot more. Far fewer weapons, but the differences are more than statistics.

Took me a while to stop randomly throwing grenades. All of my instincts say hit R after a firefight.

Even back when I first started Mass Effect, I kept doing this. It took a playthrough and a half to break that habit.

... then ME2 came out.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Grimwall posted:

Altering these are HUGE time savers.

You miss the soldier being a walking arsenal? Tweak those ini files.

You hate scanning for poo poo? Tweak those files so you can scan once and everything lights up.

You hate the multi or fetch quests? Just bump up those war assets trough simple hackery.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaks_(Mass_Effect_3)

I like making Conrad worth 20k assets.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Aristobulus posted:

Well, rather than "skip combat" there should just be a way to make it narrative like a movie and you just sit back and watch Shepard and his squad blow poo poo up and crack lines to eachother, while you eat popcorn.

I mean, there's some really good dialogue that happens in combat that you'd miss if there was a "skip combat" option, and you would miss out on some good visuals and such too, and not getting to see and explore places.

Think about Lair of the Shadow Broker for example, and all the dialogue and such you could miss out on if you could just skip the entirety of all the fights there.

The best dialog being the last mission on Tuchanka, when Wrex asks what's taking you so long, Shepard yells "There's a drat Reaper in my way, Wrex!" and he replies "I know, you get to have all the fun."

Wrex is the best person in the galaxy, screw Mass Effect: Garrus Vakarian, I want Mass Effect: Urdnot Wrex

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Elysiume posted:

Priority: Tuchanka was incredibly. The fight between Kalros and the Reaper was amazing, and Mordin's death was really poignant.

Also, gently caress the dalatrass.

The second half of (Tuchanka missions spoiler) the bomb mission, having you charge across that open area being shelled from every which direction was awesome. I was hoping for more of that; fighting your way through open battlefields with other poo poo going on around you.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Toast Museum posted:

You seem to have misspelled Carnifex :colbert:

And you seem to have misspelled Paladin :colbert::colbert:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Banjodark posted:

Edit - so there's a bug in this game if you saved Kaidan and not Ashley in ME1. Long story short, if Kaidan is alive and ashley is dead (or has a low friendship score with shepard), various conversations on the normany with javik, tali, gabby & ken and engineer daniels wont activate.

after trawling through the bioware social forums, I've found a fix for this on pc (and xbox) that requires gibbed's save editor.

What you want to do is load up your save (probably best to do this at the midpoint of the game when kaidan rejoins your crew

hit the "plot" tab and in the "int" section type 10314 and set that flag to 8.

or this:

conditional_863]
(((plot.ints[10314] + plot.ints[10330]) >= 8) || (plot.bools[19724] == false))

plot.bools[19724] must = false or you'll activate Ashley's 'true love' romance lock and you wont be able to romance anyone in me3 and it will break your current romances in game.

however simply setting 10314 to value 8 for me was more than enough to fix the bug and keep my romance with kaidan active.

hope this helps anyone else who wants to circumvent this problem.

This worked like a charm. Just discovered an argument between Daniels and Adams that I've never heard before (and an interesting one, at that, too!). Thanks for posting this!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Viperix posted:

Yeah, as a Vanguard I actually managed to be ahead of her at several points. While I can't remember which other games did this, ME3 is not the first offender. It's always amusing when through dumb chase mechanics you can get ahead of the person your chasing, yet it doesn't matter.

The best part is how Anderson and Eva will suddenly have nitro-boosted calves and rocket ahead of you at relativistic speeds because god forbid you're more maneuverable than you "should" be.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Neal! posted:

Not sure its been covered in this thread. Just cracked into Mass Effect 3 after playing my way through 1 and 2 on xbox. Really happy so far, little hard to get used to the new look though.

I played the default fem shep look and the import did not give me a look that came anywhere close to what Shepard looks like. HATE the new look, the freckles and eye makeup just make her look stupid it's completely throwing me off and I can't get into the game as a result. Anyone know the face code that gives her a close look to the old one? Google hasn't helped at all.

One of the presets is the old FemShep face.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

magimix posted:

Having checked the Wiki, the Disciple sounds like an interesting weapon. Won't be getting my hands on it for a while though! Any thoughts on the M-11 Wraith? I've had good experiences with the other two Spectre Requisitions weapons in previous runs.

The Disciple is my go-to shotgun. I'm all about style over substance, and I love how it looks and sounds. The warp-like sound effect when you bust it out :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

tiberion02 posted:

Does Leviathan come with new music as well? My favorite parts of LoTSB/Overlord/Arrival were the musical cues, and I wanna know if this holds up.

For what it's worth, I can't recall if there WAS any new music. If there was, it didn't leave any impression on me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Thanks to some recent breakthroughs in cracking the file formats of ME3, there's now ways to get these high-res textures into the game files themselves, thereby removing Texmod from the equation and the potentially long initial startup time that comes with it.

Check out these two links: http://me3explorer.wikispaces.com/ and http://me3explorer.wikispaces.com/ME3Explorer%3EModMaker%3EPublished+.mod+Files

It's not that hard to figure out how to work it, but it takes a looooong time to "install" these mods and it's sort of "dangerous" in that if a mod fails to install, it corrupts the ppc file, so backing them up every time you decide to install one or several mods is crucial.

In the same vein, but a little simpler to do is this sort-of-automated installer for a small collection of texture mods. http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Fan-Creations/Mass-Effect-3---High-Resolution-Project--Texplorer-15144632-1.html

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Craig Spradlin posted:

Hell, if you played with the Sole Survivor origin, Cerberus was responsible for the death of your whole squad, and it really stretched plausibility for me that Shepard's first course of action in 2 wasn't to airlock everyone loyal to Cerberus and straight-up steal the Normandy at the start of the game.

Literally the only reason I'm glad this didn't happen is because then we wouldn't have Gabby and Ken.

Burning Mustache posted:

Actually, Tali is pretty drat vocal about it throughout ME2, which was pretty cool I think (as the only other character-defining thing she has going in ME2 is the almost creepy obsession for Shepard, especially if you're playing ManShep). I mean, unlike Kaidan / Ash she does end up joining Shepard, but she remains pretty vocal about calling Cerberus out for what it is.

Garrus, on the other hand, gives no fucks, that is true.

E: I mean, Tali flat out refuses to join you in ME2 because of Shepard working for Cerberus alone, until you effectively save her rear end.

I like that Garrus' reasoning is the same as Chakwas; he's not working for Cerberus, he's working for Shepard.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

jackofarcades posted:

I would advise against playing Insanity with Vanguard on ME2.

Heed this person's advice. If you are a loser.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Hemish posted:

I feel like maybe replaying this whole serie as a Renegade FemShep (I played each one once as MaleShep and Paragorn). I checked the OP but couldn't find anything about what I'm looking for.

For Mass Effect 1 on the PC, is there a list of tweaks I should do to help performances or take full advantage of my computer which is a lot more powerful than a Xbox 360? I played ME1 on the Xbox back in the day so I have no experience with it on the PC.

This might help, but don't expect massive, or even moderate gains. ME1 is very poorly optimized, and there's not much we can do to change that.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaks

EDIT: This, too: http://www.tweakguides.com/ME_1.html

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 27, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Guess what?

Me neither. :smug:

This is nothing to be smug about. You are less than trash and you do not know true power until you've played Vanguard.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Speech didn't end it "I should go" or "I've got to get back to it," B-.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

lenoon posted:

Cheerfully corrected.

A+, see me after class (for sexy time)femshep-style sexual harassment.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You have to actively try to fail as a Vanguard.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Wrex's stim pack power had to be bugged in a similar way too, he would just spam it constantly as soon as he saw any enemies until he ran out of grenades (also rendering his other grenade power useless because he never has grenades). Like the AI couldn't detect that the buff was applied and it should stop activating the power so it just keeps trying. I always thought it was an odd power choice and a poor thematic fit for him anyway and he should have had an offensive biotic power like warp or throw instead.

Wrex really should have had just four instances of Biotic Charge and his passive.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

What the gently caress kind of mongoloid grip is this

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Chexoid posted:

Bioware plz just make ME4 waking mars but in three d's thanks.

All of the women in the game are sure to have them :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
James has some of the best party banter, plus if you take him to Rannoch you get to see his preferred method of repairing electronics: kick it until it's fixed.

Kaidan/Ashley, however, rots on the ship the entire time. They never have anything interesting to say.

• Locked thread