Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I've never felt so loved and accepted for my lovely puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

She's not a spoiler, so much as a hood ornament.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, it's too bad Bioware won't accidentally give all the pre-release DLC away for free again like they did with 2.

This takes me back.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It's making the rounds on Twitter that we first meet Emily Wong as she's doing a story on dangerous air traffic control situations, and then dies in a dangerous air traffic situation.

Nice.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Show some respect. She crashed her skyvan into a Reaper like a true war hero. :patriot:

Sorry. I guess I said something Wong.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Eurogamer Review is up

10/10

Is it safe to say that all complaints and fears have been put to rest?

A highly anticipated game getting super high review scores? Well I'll never.

EDIT: Not to say whether or not it's good, but what with GAMES JOURNALISM, it actually gets kinda hard to trust review scores.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

Your life must be so boring if you dislike anything that isnt original.

There's a difference between liking something or not versus claiming it's a bold step forward for an entire industry, you know.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

Sorry that my opinion is different from yours. Please tell me what the correct opinion to have is.

Whoever said we have a different opinion? When did anyone imply that?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

doo doo thief posted:

I wonder if they do the same thing with the rachni queen if you killed her, you know the very last of her kind that you could make extinct in part 1 of this series about meaningful choices. Is there just magically another one in ME3 with a slightly different skin color?

The Reapers have their own indocrinated rachni queen.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

It I take my maleshep into ME3 can I change him into a female?

Nope, because it would cause the romance flags to explode.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

cell posted:

I'm of the same mind. Anyone feel like this'll be a lot less fun to play through again compared to ME2? Knowing the ending kind of puts a damper on just... playing.

Anyway, I thought the writing throughout was really a number of steps above the previous games in general, in terms of humour and self-reference and just for things like making homosexual characters no big deal (though I also really want more endings via DLC or something). Serious emotional rollercoaster going through for me, though [ending]it's a shame it ended in a dip for me rather than a high. So much investment in my Shep just for her to melt/explode.

Yeah, the ending of ME2 was definitely the high point of the game. You do a badass suicide mission with (at least your first time) high stakes and drama (aside from that boss), and then you ride out a goddamn explosion while the music is blaring and it's just so drat satisfying. ME1 finishes with that badass "Oh no, Shepard is dead everybody is sad OH WAIT NO WATCH HIM STRUT OUT LIKE A BADASS". I was kinda hoping for something on that level of excitement and satisfaction.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Archer2338 posted:

What the hell is with the council? Since it's not a real spoiler thing: Why the hell is Udina still the human counselor? I made Anderson the counselor in ME1, so why is Udina the one on the council now?

I always love answering this one, but Anderson doesn't like being on the Council, so he quits in one of the books so that he can go back to being in the military and fighting the good fight. Naturally this is never brought up in the game proper and you have to read the terrible books to know a fundamental story point of one of the major characters in the trilogy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ouhei posted:

Except that it's heavily hinted to in ME2. Anderson tells you that he hates his job and the council seems to respect Udina more than him. He also wishes that he could go with you instead of being stuck in politics. It's also in the codex of ME3.

It wasn't handled the best way possible but anyone that's genuinely surprised hasn't been paying attention.

It's a blatant attempt at shameless cross-promotion and all they had to do was have Anderson have one line where he goes "Boy, sure am glad I quit the Council to get back in the military" and there would be absolutely no issue with it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

SyRauk posted:

Before the Tuchanka mission Mordin expresses his desire to have some peace and quiet to himself after the war is over since his species doesn't live for very long. He mentions something about wanting to study seashells. On Tuchanka, when you're about to cure the genophage, something happens to the tower where it will be dispersed and Mordin steps up to the task of seeing it through since there is no other option and he is the only one who knows how to handle it. Right before he steps into the elevator he tells Shep that he has no regrets but that he would have liked to run tests on the seashells. Moments later the tower he is in explodes killing Mordin.

This is the funniest goddamn thing ever. I'm crying tears, I'm laughing so hard at this post.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

rainy day posted:

just about anything would be better than what we got. They somehow managed to gently caress up the ending in pretty much every way it is possible to gently caress up

The sheer amount of people coming up with better ideas off the top of their heads means that Bioware had to actively work to make an ending this disappointing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It's not a bad ending because it's not a "good as in happy and sunshine and rainbows and yay the good guys all win and the bad guys lose woohoo", it's a bad ending because it's a lovely and poorly written ending that comes out of nowhere and doesn't even match the themes of the three games that preceded it.

Imagine if The Usual Suspects ended with Kevin Spacey hopping onto a UFO because he was really an alien the whole time. You see how that ending is stupid because it comes out of nowhere and doesn't have anything to do with the movie that came before it? How it doesn't make for a satisfying finish to the story you were just watching? That's exactly why the ME3 ending is bad.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

It was prolly canned because that sounds really dumb.

Shepard: Hey you Reapers get out of here :argh:
Reapers: Oh poo poo, lets go, he looks mad.

(I dunno why, but there are better endings)

I mean, that could work as a "bad" ending, like if you didn't have enough preparedness the best Shepard can do is to make the Reapers run away, but nothing's actually solved and maybe the galaxy is majorly hosed up in the meantime; do better and you blow up the whole fleet with the power of friendship or something, I don't care. At least it fits the universe somewhat and doesn't start throwing themes at you five minutes from the end.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gaseous Snake posted:

I'm debating whether or not to do a new game + starting with ME2 or just go right into ME3. I kinda want to see Grunt and Miranda around.

Having Grunt around gives you one of the cooler moments in the game, I'll tell you that much.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Matt Cruea posted:

Hi, I've been out of town and then sick so I'm just now getting into playing this. This thread is huge, I don't want to be spoiled, and the answer isn't in the OP, so...

Is the fact that the game isn't detecting my character's face from ME2 normal? Like, it says it's importing it but it looks nothing like my guy. Different hair and facial hair. Yikes. Is there a fix for this?

Did you take your character all the way from ME1 to ME3? Because yeah, there's a bug where importing an ME1 face into ME2 doesn't give you an ME2 face code. And then because you don't have an ME2 face code, there's no way for ME3 to read your face code data. So either wait for a patch or try your best to match things up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I love that it makes Saren look like a really petulant child instead of the raging monster they were going for. Why is he throttling Benezia? He's the one that hosed up. He just looks really petty and juvenile.

Games writing. He's gotta look BAD so you know he's a BAD guy so he'll go GRR and ARGH because he hates you. Never mind the fact that they had literally just established him with cyber implants, an evil sounding music score, and having him shoot a guy to death while his back is turned.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, basically it tells you the origins of the Reapers.

And the origins of the Reapers is something really really loving dumb. If it weren't an actual thing in the actual game, it'd be on the level of Star Wars EU stuff that has a detailed backstory on every single dude in the Mos Eisley cantina.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Plus there was a codex entry which said while you can copy an AI, they have "quantum hardware" so any copy you make would have a different personality and functionally be a different "person". I don't know if that's the same for the geth, since a single geth is pretty basic, but Legion "died" after transmitting its software out of the platform at the end of the Rannoch mission so they might have a similar thing.

Yeah, but was that in ME3? Because everything they wrote about the Geth in ME3 was pretty damned lame compared to the Geth stuff in 2 and would reek pretty badly of retconning to my eyes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lotish posted:

If I'm going to be wishing, I'd like to see ME4's campaign focused in a part of the galaxy about as far away from Earth or Council space as they can get. Let the world and character building show how people who didn't have Alliance or Council resources pulled back together, and make the main character the captain of a private ship.

They'd just turn this into Firefly: The Game, and the LAST thing Bioware writers need to be doing is giving themselves more excuses to ape Joss Whedon.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I've done two complete playthroughs of the trilogy with different Shepards and I have never even considered NOT finishing by playing the Citadel DLC last of all. Sure there are a few references scattered about to the ongoing war with the Reapers, but mostly you can just ignore it and your final experience of the trilogy can be Shep and all his/her friends gathering at the Normandy, where Shepard declares their times onboard have been "the best" before rolling credits. I can't think of a better way to end the series than that.

It's one of those things that I just can't understand. The writers, sitting there, even considering for a moment any idea that isn't you celebrating a victory with your buddies. It's just so simple and perfect and obvious, and instead they go with all the stuff that happened instead. I mean, bravo for trying or whatever, but I just don't get it. It's like getting to the end of a symphony and deciding it really needs an accordion solo to close things out, because that'll push the medium forward and it's never been done before.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

I actually found the dream sequences not that bad. They could have been done better but I could see the why and the style was nice. I also saw an video on youtube that played some audio dialoge. Apparently, you are supposed to hear crew members who died in ME2s suicide mission creepily whispering some of their ME2 dialoge in the background of the dream sequences. A nice touch if true but probably only experienced by few because most people probably saved everyone. ME2 is always held in such high regards but the whole "suicide mission" thing wasn't that great, it was way too easy to just save everyone and probably already happened for most when you were just interested in doing all the loyalty missions for more game content. They should have just randomly killed some crewmembers, with no chance on influencing who died.

I know the whole tone of the mass effect series is that you should play it through more than once and take different decisions to see different content, but quite honestly I found all three games had way too many parts that are linear and boring to ever bother with that.

If they had been able to plan the whole trilogy out in advance, I'd imagine they'd have ended up switching 2 and 3. Rather than having to make a third game that accounts for basically everybody possibly dying at the end of game 2, they instead end game 3 with a suicide mission where you can still win, but you're at risk of the characters you've been spending three games forming relationships with dying horribly at the end. And tonally 3 works much better as a second act, anyway. Really, if you could just switch ME2 and 3, it'd be flawless series. Shep dies activating the Crucible (Destroy, naturally), but is brought back by Cerberus when they discover a hidden Reaper base beyond the Omega Relay to pull together one last suicide mission to wipe out the Reaper threat once and for all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

a slim spar posted:

I'm really tired, so I might be missing something obvious, but Liara may actually be the only character both of whose parents appear in the games. (and her relationship is complicated with both of them)

Yeah, and one of them is evil and you them and she gets really sad about it. Also Garrus' storyline in ME1 was him agonizing over joining C-Sec because of his dad. And Wrex getting into a fight with his dad. And I guess technically Ash's dad was a space racist. Really, Kaiden is the least Daddy-issue character in the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Magil of Shadow posted:

It's hard to have daddy issues when you're a smoldering pile of radioactive ash.

See? You brought it upon yourself.

Realtalk: Kaiden's a cool bro. Everybody else is freaking about drama and family issues, and Kaiden's just all "Whatevs".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Caufman posted:

God drat. Even Kaiden's mental health is boring.

He killed a guy with his brain.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

The WORST worst part of the whole thing is that Kai Leng wins because he has a GUNSHIP.

If you shoot at the gunship. Kai Leng makes fun of you. Ha, ha! How could you be so dumb, to think that you could harm a gunship!

Shepard has, to this point, killed about ten gunships.

Immediately before entering the temple, Shepard kills two Harvesters, which are shown to be at least the equal of two gunships.

You can't hurt the gunship even if you fire at it with your biggest guns. You can't even shoot its spotlight out.

EDIT: I mean this would roughly be like Kai Leng winning because he has an Atlas.

"Look out! He's a biotic, we'll have to retreat!"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Didn't TOR basically say that Darth Nihilus (or whoever the creepy masked one was) didn't actually have his Force devouring powers and neither did the KOTOR 2 protagonist?

They also kill the KOTOR 2 protagonist basically offscreen.

Also I know for a fact that Avellone at least likes Empire Strikes Back, because I posted on Facebook about how it's a good movie and he commented that he agreed and I ran around my apartment for a minute because CHRIS AVELLONE READ SOMETHING I WROTE AND AGREED WITH IT.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

Widow or Black Widow maybe, but I've never used sniper rifles. Infiltrator sounds cool though. I may start a second play thru and use that class and go Renegade instead of Paragon. I love bouncing around the battle field though and just force punching folks around as a Vanguard though. I've played a couple maps where Shepard is waiting at the drop zone under a Cerebrus shuttle with a Nova waiting to kill em off. I always imagine the Cerebrus grunts looking down at Shepard, and just saying, drat it, I have to drop down in that grinder.

Yeah, I had a blast as an Infiltrator; you get a few free seconds of bullet time every time you pull up the scope, so fights tended to be a lot of "pop out of cover HEADSHOT throw a fireball at somebody behind cover so they pop out HEADSHOT". Really satisfying. Also when you needed to move between cover, you just pop on your cloak, pop into some more cover and then get a cloaking bonus to headshot damage as well. You just feel like an unstoppable marksman; it's the polar opposite of Vanguard in terms of playstyle, but in my opinion right up there for feeling like a badass.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Even with all the cool renegade options and the like, I've never reacted faster to a prompt in the entire series than I have to the "Don't date the loving ship AI you loving creep" dialogue option.

Plus I really liked the whole platonic flirting relationship between her and Joker and ME2, they had a nice His Girl Friday thing going on, and then in typical Bioware fashion rather than character development they stuck her in a SEXBOT BODY.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot how much I hated what they did to Udina as well. Much like they decided the best course for EDI was to give her a sexbot body, the only possible way to take Udina was obviously to make him full-blown evil.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I was really looking forward to some sort of "Okay Shepard, we've had our differences in the past, but the fate of the galaxy is at stake so I've used my political clout to get you some sweetass weapons because I'm not really a bad guy, just a politician who tries to do their job in the face of galactic bureaucracy" but nope he's literally aiding in a terrorist attack.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, I just found it deeply uncomfortable that the option presented as "best" was to forcibly rewrite the genetic material in every living being in the entire galaxy. Not to mention that after doing so, the only person who knows why and how it all happened evaporated into a fine mist.. Imagine waking up one morning and suddenly every living creature on the planet was glowing green and had bits of metal sticking out of them and nobody knew why. How horrifying that would be, how traumatic and disturbing it would be, and worst of all, nobody will ever know why it happened.

The "best" ending to the Mass Effect universe is turning it into a Cronenberg movie.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

I just imagine Sheaprd not remembering anything after the confrontation with TIM due to his injuries. As far as he and anyone else is knows, Shepard pushed a button and all the Reapers died, including the Geth and Edi due to their connection to Reaper tech.

Shepard wakes up and is easily rescued. The whole Geth thing was just a ruse to try to prevent him from blowing up the Reapers, but of course Shepard knows better than to trust that information, so he and the crew go throw a party on the Citadel to celebrate.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PootieTang posted:

I think the problem is that people want the game to have artistic merit. But that doesn't often happen when you have a game written by committee, in the age of focus groups. For every good aspect someone manages to work in, you have three guys aiming for the CoD audience, another two trying to get Jersey Shore fans to jump on in the third game, then some other people trying to make the ending 'epic' despite having almost zero plans for a finale, or having those plans butchered by the other 30 cooks working on the storyline.

I mean once you accept that it's a sci-fi video game with no real artistic merit, you stop caring about the ending, or it's implications or what people think of it. Because you realize, it wasn't made to be interesting, or to be a piece of art or anything like that. It wasn't meant to be thought about too hard. It's there to make money. That's it. Arguing about whether the ending made sense, or was thematically appropriate, or how the story-line swung wildly back and forth with what it was trying to say is pointless, because it wasn't written for any of that. It was written for the money.

The piles and piles of money.

Actually, the problem with the ending was that it WASN'T written by committee. All the other writers were basically locked out of the room while two guys decided what Mass Effect was REALLY about the whole time, all by themselves. And those two guys decided it was really about Starchild.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I still remember being alllmost okay with them putting the universe to rest and having a solid ending to the franchise, and then a giant popup appears telling me to BUY THE DLC AND CONTINUE THE ADVENTURES and then I remembered that nothing ever ends and they're gonna milk this poo poo for every drop.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

I think that lots of those graphic descriptions of Tali-murder are less because of the character herself and more blowback due to her psychotic fans.

Although now I'm reminded of the fan who purposefully would get Tali exiled from the fleet so that she wouldn't have any distractions from her life with Shepard-sama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

I've been playing through the games again, which is really fun as my 2 1/2 year old daughter watches. After Shepard kills Wrex she just goes "Oh no! She's sad daddy." Haha, a delight.

Anyway, I was wondering how you get the final piece of dialogue with Ashley on the Normady, the one where you can convice her not to be a racist? I can't get pass the Vermire dialogue. But I would have swore I've seen videos of this exchange between Shepard and Ashley.

You just keep talking to her after every mission, and eventually she'll be all "Hey, I still hate Turians, what do you think about that, Shepard?". Same with being able to convince Kaiden of humanity's superiority.

• Locked thread