Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's not the fact that it's MP and I have some adversion, it's ME3 MP. I refuse to play it out of the mentality that I would prefer it didn't exist.

That's how I felt. I've never played anything multiplayer that I didn't actively hate, and figured that I'd never even try it. Turns out that I love it, and it's the only reason why I don't feel ripped off for buying this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, this is by far the most fun to play Mass Effect game yet

I've seen a lot of people saying this, and I don't get it. Other than muliplayer, I don't see anything good about it. Instead of interacting with NPCs, you wander around like a stalker overhearing conversations. Then you check the journal, scan a planet, and do a floor by floor search of the citadel for new names on the map. The dialog wheel no longer gives you a nice illusion of having choices. Instead it seems to pop up as an afterthought and gives you two nearly identical options. The maps look prettier. But to compensate much of the little details look worse, and it's not a fair trade off. All the little clever details like the citadel Gamestop employee is missing, and it's been replaced by little repetitive conversation loops that are uninteresting and irritating after the 10th time you hear them. The dozen well fleshed out characters that you invested so much time in in ME2 show up for thirty second cameos. And for some reason the bulk of your squad is made up of new characters that you are given no reason the care about, while the ME2 standards are just doing half hearted walk-ons. And I haven't even gotten to the endings that everyone seems to hate. Hell, I'm at the halfway point and don't have much interest in going further.

It really feel like the game is 40% finished. There are constant choppy skips in dialog where bits were obviously removed or weren't finished. The whole way through the game so far, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that "something cool would have happened here if they'd had a few more months to finish this game". If anybody is debating buying it, I'd recommend getting it used from Gamestop. Because after the initial excitement fades in the next week they'll be flooded with used copies. I will say that the beefed up combat is great, as is the new AI. But it's a long wait through load screens and disc switching to get to the fights. The mutiplayer rocks, though.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

DrNutt posted:

I was speaking specifically to the combat and conversations.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you specifically. I just meant that I see a lot of people raving about how awesome the game game is, and I don't understand why.

But yeah, I agree that the combat is great and I have been liking that aspect a lot. It's the bits in between the combat that come up way short of the last two games.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Malrauxs Place posted:

I could easily imagine a new game in the same universe set after the races of the galaxy have discovered their own means of space travel. Remember that while it wasn't as gothic and ornate as Warhammer 40k or Dune, Mass Effect was still a stagnant universe, because more or less everything was in place already thanks to the citadel and the relays. There is nothing that indicates that galactic civilization couldn't eventually recover from their loss.

Yep, pretty much what you said. I don't see what people are so bent out of shape about with the endings. I've assumed since ME2 that it would all end with some variant of "the Reapers are about to be defeated, and as a final gently caress you to the galaxy they blow up the relays". The reapers loose, all the tech they employed to control the galaxy is gone, and the races of the ME universe are left to rise up from the ashes and learn to build their own relay system without using the bad guys toys as a crutch. Sure some of the details are stupid, like the whole "organics and synthetics can never ever play in the same sandbox" being an issue after the Geth and Quarians make nice. But overall I take the relay destruction thing as just the price that has to be paid to free the universe of the Reapers.

I guess it's just me, but that doesn't seem like too high a price to pay for those results. The Reapers are a force that makes the Borg and the Empire look like kids egging a house. To have an ending where you knock out the final boss and then Shep and Garrus pat each others backs and head to Omega for a beer would make it a pretty hollow victory. And in the end, galactic civilization is still just a tool of the enemy. Putting the races of the universe on the path to create a world built on their own struggle to bounce back from the edge seems pretty uplifting to me, actually.

Oh yeah, the whole "Everybody is gonna starve and die" thing is beyond silly. Sure food production is down, but so is the population. So some scientific and military outposts will be lost, but any self sustaining colony is going to have the ability to produce it's own food. And if anybody is building colonies that aren't self sustaining, they're too stupid to live anyway. Yeah it's a big setback, and things will get worse before they get better. But struggling against the odds has been a big theme with these games.

The game has plenty of major problems. Like the elusive dialog wheel that doesn't really effect anything when it does occasionally show up. Or the number of major characters that have been shuffled off to cameo appearances because they've been replaced by paper thin stand-ins that you're never given a reason to give a poo poo about. Plus the problem of swapping "Interact with NPC's and go shoot up someplace" side missions with, "overhear a conversation, then check your journal (that no longer keeps track of your mission status), and go scan a system" pointlessness. This last one really pisses me off, since the combat actually is an improvement. It would have been nice to get to do some more shooting instead of spending all my time watching loadscreens as I rode the citadel elevator trying to find out who I had to walk near in order to complete some quest. With all the negatives ME3 bring to the table, I'm kinda surprised that the ending is the thing people seem so bent out of shape about.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 11, 2012

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Charlie Mopps posted:

But yeah, im afraid im kinda Biowares target group, because i love seeing cutscenes and talking to people and forming relationships in games, instead of blowing up poo poo.

Me too. The dialog wheel doing a convincing job of giving me the illusion of directing conversations is why I love ME1 and 2. It's a shame that they virtually removed it for ME3, and just leave me watching cutscenes like one of the worse Final Fantasy games instead.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I bet Diana Allers sweat tastes like New Jersey.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

losonti tokash posted:

Man, Jersey's an okay state why you gotta be like that. :(

Sure it's an okay state.

Until you lick it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

scary ghost dog posted:

I have to be harsh here. Calling this franchise dead, saying it's ruined, and calling Mass Effect 3 terrible are all huge, unreasonable exaggerations. How can you even have played it and say that? It's such a rich game, with such great characters, such great writing, beautiful locations and genuinely great gameplay. Don't be a moron and whine about how much you hate it just because the last 5 minutes were a little too close to Contact. Especially given how much the game already owes to Contact.

Good lord, and the "whiners" are guilty of hyperbole? Personally I didn't hate the ending as much as most people seem to have, but that's mostly because the game leading up to those endings is deeply flawed. Sure there may be a fistful of cosmetic improvements over the first two, but over all it feels like it was put together by people who had never played through the previous games and were clueless about what made them so great. As a result the remastered ME3 just comes off as reheated leftovers from a dinner that kinda sucked when it was fresh.

• Locked thread