Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why in the world isn't there a way to import a Shepard without starting at the level you were when you beat ME2? There's something really anticlimactic about being level 30 with all the powers I care about maxed, or nearly maxed, from the very first second of the game. A big part of the fun of RPGs is character progression and it's like I'm being punished for having played ME2!

I know Baldur's Gate 2 and other games have been great with "import at same level", but every other game that's done that has been based on a system that's not designed in a way that you max out in one game, then import into a new game where you and every member of your party begins the game "maxed out". The new powers range from "serviceable" to "awful" so that's not really helping, either.

I guess I'm stupid for not knowing this was how it would work, but I really tried to avoid too much info and didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the reviews so I (understandably I think) assumed it would work like ME2 did.

The game is still great so far, but this is bothering me way more than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's shockingly annoying and weird that this game doesn't install any information at all to the HDD (PS3 version). ME2 installs like 5 gigs...

Load times aren't horrible, but the game is pretty much constantly reading the disc and that can't be good. Now that I think about it, almost nothing I've had this year has had an actual HDD install and I'm wondering if there's some kind of conspiracy to overwork PS3 BR drives to milk replacement drive money for a year or whatever until the next console.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, I just got (character talk) EDI a couple missions ago, and I actually like the conversations I've had with her; I don't even mind her design quite as much as I did from the concept art. Her face is pretty well done anyway. The Joker stuff is as silly as expected, but overall she's nowhere near as bad as James "Did you notice I'm Hispanic, Loco?" Vega.

Also, (ME2 character) Jack's redesign and her dialogue are both pretty badass and I'm wondering if they were going to make her a squadmate at some point? Miranda looks exactly the same so it seems like a weird amount of effort to put into such a small cameo...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

Lair of the Shadow Broker has the biggest effect, followed by Overlord.

I heard about Overlord, but what changes if you do Shadow Broker? I accidentally deleted my ME2 saves so the Shep I'm playing first is one I ran through pretty quick without doing LotSB, and in my game Liara is still the Shadow Broker. Do you get anything more than different dialogue if you actually do the mission with her?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

404GoonNotFound posted:

But that would mean not having a scoped Phalanx for sniping Pyros. Truly, an invitation for certain death.

I really wish there was a way to toggle the scope on pistols as needed. I don't always need to use it as a sniper weapon...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CapnAndy posted:

Is there any cue to tell if you've got a romance going? I'm still fretting that picking "You dumped me!" with Ashley back when she was hurt torpedoed that

I'm playing a Shep that cheated on Ash with Tali, because I really want to see how ridiculous the BioWare Rabbit Hole gets. Haven't met Tali yet, but I told Ash it was a meaningless fling and so far Ash is acting like we're "back on".

Oh, and it's a Paragon run. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CapnAndy posted:

I just found out you can activate the Blasto 6 ad to hear the movie. Oh my God.

...I don't know if I want to do this or not. Is it as bad as I think it will be? :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

etjester posted:

Voice cast interviews from the launch event:

http://youtu.be/1Y-eb_k06EA

http://youtu.be/Pa7niDlKw-8

Wow, I would have thought "pissed off and tired" was just how Jennifer Hale always talks. Gives a lot more credence to the "maleshep = paragon, femshep = renegade" theory to know it was a deliberate choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If that chart a couple pages ago is even remotely accurate (86% Soldier, 2% Engineer?!) it's no wonder the series is so easy even on "Normal" difficulty because Goddamn, the class that can literally deal with any enemy in the game by themselves is overshadowed FORTY TO ONE by the class that has to actually aim?

edit: holy poo poo Primarch Victus does sound exactly like Alec Baldwin with a Turian Filter, how did I not notice that before

precision fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 17, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

I've always thought they just had a subtly hypnotizing aspect, making everyone see them slightly different and look more like their race, just look at the bachelor party in Mass Effect 2! Hell they might be creepy tentacle aliens for all we know.

...might be? :raise:

That's actually a pretty good theory though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE PWNER posted:

There's not a single overweight person in 3 games so that sounds about normal for all the races really. Zaeed and old people not withstanding.

Zaeed is actually pretty guddamn handsome. Every single human in the games is attractive, which clearly proves the genetic superiority of the race.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZombyDog posted:

My engineer playthrough was a blast, spamming chain overload at everything - I did find the drone & turret really underwhelming though.

Yeah, singleplayer Engineer just max Incinerate, Overload and Alliance Training first, then put exactly one point in Drone or Turret until you've also maxed Cryo Blast.

Engineer was the best class before, and now they're even better.

edit: Yeah, and take AP Ammo for your bonus, at least at first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As a bisexual whose only friends in this city besides my wife are gay men and lesbians (well, probably most of the hippies I know are straight, but they're too busy occupying things to have relationships it seems) I sincerely appreciate Bioware's progressive attitude in this game.

That said, it's honestly gotten comical the amount of conversations I overhear that are gay/lesbian (and from what I gather I'm not even 1/3 through the game). On the Citadel alone so far, there's the woman in the bar who keeps bugging her male friend about "WHERE ARE THE HOOKERS?!", the Asari/human, the gay Turian, etc. etc. It's like the "but some of my best friends are black!" of video games.

I do really like Cortez though, he's one of my favorite new space bros. Great voice actor there.

So it seems they really were listening to the fans who complained about the lack of homosexuality in ME2. Maybe they really will release alternate-ending DLC. I can't think of any other DLC missions they could make that would sell better, so everyone wins.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NihilCredo posted:

Where was the gay Turian? I obsessively canvassed the Citadel like twenty times, but I don't remember that one.

One of the guys hanging around with Garrus in the refugee zone, IIRC.

It's also possible it was just a female Turian, though, because they all look the same. :spaceracism:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zedd posted:

The gently caress? :stare: I heard about this once but is this actually being attempted somewhere? (Don't derail just yes or no is fine)

A lot of people are upset that health insurance covers things like birth control.

And I'm sure some people, somewhere, are literally attempting to ban contraception, sure.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure there's little or no outrage against gays, sex, and gay sex in video games these days because it's all about the next election right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's funny, I've had nothing about the game spoiled for me except the ending(s), which I now know more about than probably the ending for any game I've personally beaten, and even before it came out my thought process was entirely "I don't care if the ending is total garbage, I just want the 99% of the game leading up to it to be great".

In fact, I think that knowing the ending is terrible is a good thing, because it's making me take the game slowly and enjoy the ride as opposed to rushing through everything to see how it wraps up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As far as I can tell, every achievement that can crossover between MP and SP does, so it would be weird to leave that one out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm legitimately sad the voice actress for Chakwas is so good and yet again she got asked back to do nothing but sit around getting hammered in the med-bay. (I'm not even halfway through the game so I hope I'm wrong about this.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can someone spoil me as to whether Thane has a quest before the Citadel attack midpoint I keep hearing about, because all he's doing is moping around the hospital and he was Loyal in my import.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Count Choculitis posted:

manShep gained Kaidan

Wait wait what?! Please tell me that isn't a typo because if so I might have to postpone my FemRenShep for a GayShep!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

Just a random question, but how many of you don't take the investigate like options on the left side? I notice a lot of you weren't able to do the final boss dialogue option because you missed one, but it feels odd to me that people would intentionally miss easy content. Why don't you click those dialogue options?

I always look and see what they are, but only actually click on the ones that sound interesting/might lead to information I need because SHUT UP I'M ROLEPLAYING.

My first ME2 playthrough I clicked every single dialogue option and it felt like I was just going through the motions, checking off items on a list. To be fair, the incidental dialogue in this one is written much better.

For example, my favorite line of dialogue in the entire game so far:

Liara's "father" calling humanity "Anthropocentric bag of dicks."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rotinaj posted:

Where can you meet that person? I never saw that person, and thought I was pretty thorough. Tell me it's not in the friggin' From Ashes DLC.

That person is a bartender on the Citadel.

edit: beaten but with wrong info - you can definitely meet that person BEFORE the attack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flipswitch posted:

That is true, to be honest he shines so much for me because I find Liara a bit dull, Garrus is a legend in the making, Tali is awesome, EDI can go launch herself out of the airlock, Ashley can gently caress off and that leaves Vega? He's a cool guy at least.

You like Tali and hate EDI? Is it Opposite Day? Sexbot body aside, EDI is fantastic.

Also Ashley is really cool in this one. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vega's random Spanishisms are weirdly cringe-worthy on their own (I mean, Kasumi talks about ramen that one time in ME2 but it's not like she kept calling Jacob "kawaii" or anything) but it's especially weird that his nickname for DudeShep is "Loco" (which more or less makes sense because it actually means something) but his nickname for FemShep is "Lola" (which doesn't mean anything, it's just a name).

I mean it would be like Jacob deciding out of nowhere to call you "Sarah". That's not how nicknames work, man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sombrerotron posted:

False! Lola certainly does mean something. It's a diminutive of "Dolores", meaning "sorrows" or "sorrowful" - which is actually kind of appropriate for Shepard in ME3, I think.

Well, I did not know that! I was personally hoping it was a reference to the Kinks song, which would kind of make sense, since it's about someone who "looks like a woman and talks like a man".

(ie FemShep is badass, not FemShep is a literal transvestite like the titular "Lola")

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gowb posted:

PS3! It isn't technically freezing on me. It just sometimes (often) stops on loading screens and displays the spinning loading symbol (with everything moving) forever. I have to quit out of the game to get past it. I don't think I can return it, I got it used on Amazon. :ohdear:

The PS3 version has Known Issues including freezing on loading screens and the framerate randomly dropping to literal single digits. Some people are bitching that it happens to them "all the time". Personally, out of 60+ hours of play (multi and single player combined), I've had one loading screen freeze in single player and one night where my framerate got destroyed in multi (it was also bad in single player, so it wasn't my internet connection). Quitting the game, shutting off the console, and turning it back on 10 minutes later fixed it.

This game, since BioWare are idiots, doesn't have an HDD install so it's literally reading the Blu-Ray nonstop, which seems to cause my system to run hotter than normal. Not abnormally hot, but let's just say when I play any other game, including Skyrim, the system barely gets warm at all.

The fact that it's constantly streaming data from the disc is also (probably) why the PS3 version has choppy cutscenes and such as well, since the PS3's BD is kind of slow as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Doomhammer posted:

So, um, okay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-mass-effect-3-dlc-coming-to-final-fantasy-13-2

Did Square-Enix get confused about which sci-fi shooter they published or what?

I just laughed for a solid minute straight looking at that picture. I don't know if this is the best or worst thing.

(Who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it if it's only like $2)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Noxville posted:

So while I've no doubt the spoiler thread is all over it, it should at least be mentioned in here that Bioware making changes to the ending.

Same old BioWare bullshit PR that Dragon Age 2 had.

quote:

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s.

Translation: "We made a perfect game. If you don't like the ending, you probably don't "get" it."

quote:

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

Translation: "I'd like to see YOU make a better ending. :smug: "

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snicker-Snack posted:

I didn't like the way the games ended either, but you are going a long way to intentionally misunderstand what he's saying in these quotes

I'm exaggerating for effect, but after reading his press releases about Dragon Age 2 I feel fairly confident about my interpretations of that guy's words. He's a bag of dicks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tadashi posted:

If you make a male shep and he is not some minority race, you might as well be Javik.

My ParaShep is clearly Asian, why won't Kasumi shut up about Jacob and be my space waifu~~~~

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

richardfun posted:

"They used to eat flies".

This is really the only possible option. (Granted, I'm going through SP so slowly that I haven't even gotten to the Midpoint of No Return, but still.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I never saw this exchange before

EDI: I only forget to recycle the Normandy's oxygen when I find something truly interesting.
Shepard: :aaa:
EDI: That was a joke

And yet I know people who stubbornly insist that entire character is terrible. :frogout:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of that, how much of the "creepy and weird" stuff from the leaked script actually showed up in game? I never read it, but there was a lot stuff that made it sound like the game was super creepy town fanboy fantasy, especially about EDI and Tali.

Looking back over the leaked script, it seems like most of the EDI stuff in there is in the game, but the voice acting makes it a lot less creepy (to me anyway) than it reads on virtual paper. It comes across as more about EDI coming to terms with her new freedom and "emotion chip" type stuff to the point that it pretty much is a copy-paste of Data from Next Generation. So it hasn't bothered me too much.

It does bother me that her two alternate costumes are literally just Miranda's white and black catsuits, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

messagemode1 posted:

Don't forget the white one also features robo-labia.

Didn't notice that.

I... I really didn't need to know that. :catstare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Noxville posted:

Did anybody else notice they also modelled pokey nipples on Jack's new design?

http://imgur.com/6gr9G

I figured it was just really cold in that school. She's wearing a jacket, after all!

Also didn't fully notice until that picture that she has the exact, and I do mean exact, same hairstyle that a girl I dated in the 90s did... and that girl was also psychotically angry all the time... but had a secret tender side...

oh god i literally dated Jack

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GruntyThrst posted:

Also she's a hyper advanced AI with full control over that body, she'd probably know what level of force to apply. IIRC the "skin" is also flexible so she could assumedly cushion any impacts.

I believe seinfeld.gif is the witty thing that should go here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
fake edit: ^^^^ I don't know, Project Zero seemed to be successful, assuming their goal was "make the most powerful biotic weapon ever so pissed off she can literally take down three Ymir Mechs by herself" (cutscenes are canon :colbert:)

PunkBoy posted:

Does weight affect squadmates? And is there a point to put on accuracy/stability mods on squadmate weapons?

I'm 99% sure the answer to both is "no", but then again I'm not sure my space bros ever do anything unless I specifically use the power wheel to tell them to.

(Not that it was any different in ME2 and it doesn't really matter since Shepard starts this one at the "Biotic God" level assuming you import)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ambiguatron posted:

You don't know what it's like to be Tim. You go to so many parties, you fund so many experiments that rip their creators in half and use their mangled body parts for furniture, you sit in so many curiously uncomfortable looking chairs in front of stars that after a while that blue pussy all starts to look the same.

Then you say to yourself, what would happen if I had my scientists build a murder AI, and then I hosed it.

If they hadn't gotten Martin Sheen, I would have totally accepted Christian Bale-as-Patrick-Bateman.

In fact now I want that as DLC. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

Has the thread seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzHqQbz78-s

It's surprisingly good!

I'm going to assume sarcasm because that is utterly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HoveringCheesecake posted:

The problem with the map screen is that it doesn't show nearly all of the possible interactions in each area of the Citadel. If you use the map alone you're going to miss out on a lot.

It doesn't show you literally every conversation that can start a quest or every time you have the option of picking sides in a dispute, but it definitely always shows the names of NPCs that you have quests to turn in to, what more do you need? Is exploration no longer a desired mechanic in RPGs? :confused:

• Locked thread