Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not just talking about the ending. From what I've read a lot of your choices across games have little impact or flat out don't matter. Combine that with the glitchiness and horrid ending and I'm not eager to give Bioware 60 bucks for this.

I wasn't terribly excited over this in the first place though.

At the end of the game? Your choices don't mean a drat thing, but the game makes a ton of references to your choices in previous games through out.

Hell, some ME2 squad members even remember the job you game them in the Suicide Mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The war map is a multiplayer thing

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

Kasumi and Zaieed (or however it's spelled) both had files on disc for the same reason.

Hell, people were pulling files and information about Kasumi out of the ME2 disc months before that DLC was even announced.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Question about a scene's alternate-outcome:So in the final boss fight with Kai-Leng, after I defeated him and he snuck up behind me with his sword raised, I renegade-option karate chopped his sword in half and stabbed him with my arm-sword. But what would have happened if I hadn't? Does a squadmate shoot him or something?

You just dodge the sword then stab him

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xachariah posted:

The gently caress? I'm doing the DLC "From Ashes" mission on Eden Prime, and after a certain point my game automatically crashes.

The point is right after viewing the Protean video where you get the pod activation signal.

It has happened twice, does anyone know anything about this, and how I could fix it?

There are two objectives, do the other one first. It doesn't crash if you do it in that order

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Isn't Broken Steel one of the better Fallout 3 DLCs (along with Point Lookout)?

Sure, if you like awful unbalanced enemies.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kin posted:

I was sure there was a Miranda "sister" mission that was DLC in ME2 and the only thing Miranda ever talks about is that same mission or things relating to it every time she talks to you in ME3.

It's the same with the shoehorned dialog about project overlord and the other DLC stuff.

Maybe it's more noticeable for me because I did all of the DLC for ME2 but didn't import the save so having all of these special scenes telling me about the DLC feels forced and out of place.

That wasn't DLC, chief. That was Miranda's Loyalty Mission

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jiriam posted:

Will I be able to use my ME2 save from the steam version with ME3 from Origin?

Of course you will

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cart Mountain posted:

I don't want to play the multiplayer but still want the "best" ending or whatever. Playing on the PC, can I use coalsced editor to change the EMS? Or will I need a save editor? And is there a certain cut off point where the changes I edit it won't effect anything?

The 'best' ending is an extra three second FMV, don't bother.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So, instead of having him for every mission past Palavin, you would have him for the last two?

I dunno, sounds like it turned out better

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I hear that the extended cut DLC will be altering it so you don't need to play multiplayer to get the best endings. Is this true? If so has it been announced what you need to do to get them, or is it just lower score values for them all?

FYI, the 'best' ending that you get from playing multi-player is just a five second FMV that adds nothing to the plot.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not necessary. If you choose "Restart Last Mission", you can just play through the final section of the game. It's much quicker.

You want to start before the run to the beam, they add a new scene during the beam run before Harbinger fries you

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Surely Firewalker's worse, even if it's free.

Hating Firewalker right now just for the fact that the Hammerhead doesn't scale in health at higher levels. Should not have saved it until I was level 25.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'd say the Hammerhead apparently having the same amount of health at level 1 and level 30 while enemies do more damage is pretty poor design.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cheap Vodka posted:

Does the ME1 port have trophies? I have every achievement for the 360 versions but feel kinda compelled to buy the trilogy on PS3 and get them all again because I'm literally a crazy person. :shepface:

Every game released on the PS3 is required to have trophies now, so yes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CPFortest posted:

The combat isn't great, but honestly the equipment management system in ME1 is way worse.

I was considering picking up the trilogy pack on PS3 so I could play the game while kicking back on the couch (why the gently caress doesn't the PC version have controller support?), but then I saw that the they're still using the Xbox interface for the inventory. The PC version's is still pretty bad, but holy poo poo that was loving awful on the 360.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

precision posted:

Actually, the PS3 version uses the updated PC inventory (I think? It definitely doesn't use the Xbox version).

It's been a hell of a long time since I played the Xbox version, but I'm pretty sure this is the same inventory (go to around 07:07):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfqxN3qRjSs

Either way, that's sure as gently caress not the PC inventory.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

precision posted:

Well now I'm really confused. I don't remember it being as streamlined.

A quick Google search finds this as the Xbox interface>

Looks exactly the same to me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Conrad's entire sequence is just using up obscure previously unused imports from Mass Effect 1.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Maybe I'll make an exception and buy Leviathan as well. I know I don't want the Omega DLC, and Bring Down the Sky while awesome is probably not worth getting if the game doesn't come with it already.

Pinnacle Station can go to hell.

(Looks like if it has the same content as ME2 PS3, it should have Kasumi, Zaheed, Shadow Broker and Overlord) So the 3 best DLC I could get is probably Arrival, From Ashes and Leviathan.

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 1 already comes with Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station wasn't ported because it was poo poo (also they lost the source code, but mostly because it was poo poo).

The PS3 version of ME2 comes with all the 'real' DLC apart from Arrival. The stuff like gun packs and appearance packs are sold separately.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bioware didn't make Pinnacle Station, they farmed it out to another company; same one that made the PC port I believe. Apparently they didn't keep all the source files around that that they would need to later port it to the PS3.

But Pinnacle Station is poo poo, so who cares?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, watched that new Mass Effect anime yesterday. Christ what a disaster.

It's not too awful at first, but it goes way the gently caress down hill when the collectors show up. Contradicts a bunch of stuff from the games and the collectors are twice as tall as a human for some reason.

EDIT: Whoops, that wasn't the edit button.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haw. I just noticed that someone hosed up the parental control levels for all three games on the PS3 in the UK.
All three games are level 9, but none of the games are rated high enough for that.

Level 9 is for ages 18 and up, ME1 is rated 12, ME2 & 3 are rated 15.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Whelp, I guess my playthrough has just been significantly extended. PS3 just hard-locked during an auto save and apparently the game puts all the saves in one file so all of my saves are gone, even though I've been keeping multiple in the event that something like this happened.

Had just finished the Citidel after Tuchunka, so that's what, 15 hours?

At least all my multiplayer stuff is safe.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

If you created a face in ME1, and imported it to ME2 without changing it, it won't import properly into ME3.

Where the hell did this come from? I've never had this problem with ME3 imports.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Probably because Bioware cares more about Ashley, same reason why she got that stupid new hairstyle and outfit and Kaiden looks mostly the same.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That looks pretty cool, I'm going to have to get off my arse and play ME3 again after it ate my saves.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Vega can die?

With low enough EMS, your squadmates get killed during the Beam Run

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The points transfer over to the Bioware site (the only place you can buy the DLC), yeah? That'll do it, then.

This REALLY could be made a little more user-friendly.

If I install ME2 through Origin it downloads the DLC automatically. I would hope that you can buy the DLC through Origin as well now.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Project1 posted:

So in 1, which licences do I want? Does Spectre, Kassa, and Serris cover pretty much everything I'd want?

They make things from those manufactures show up in the store on the Normandy. Pretty useless really, no point buying anything other than Spectre gear, just go with drops until you get the Rich Achievement or have the money to buy the stuff.

EDIT: Well, I buy alien armour when it shows up. That shits rare, yo.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I've heard people say Ghost Thane a few times - what actually happens? Is it literally a ghost or just his son doing the Drell memory thing or something like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ymaEG0Nac

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Quick gameplay question: The squad ammo powers. If you take the upgrade that gives other squadmates the ammo bonus at a reduced effectiveness, does it overwrite their own ammo power? I've never tried it in ME3 because I remember using it in ME2 just left squaddies fighting the effect and trying to put up their power while mine was overwriting theirs.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

I abandoned this game due to hearing about the terrible endings. Why bother if the payout is crap? An NES-style "A Winner is You" screen of text is better than whatever ending Bioware shitted out. But then I discovered the Happy Ending Mod, and it got me playing again. The mod pretty much fixed my main complaint about the game and now I'm happily shooting Cerberus dudes in the face again.

Really? This thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dolmJZ0ZvU

This thing is so loving terrible it's hilarious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I have problems with the ending like everyone else but Shepard dying isn't one of them.

Hell, I expected it since the first game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You said that before. And frankly, I think the Starchild bullshit is better than that terrible Happy Ending mod.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I'm afraid to ask, that is a fan work, right?

Mass Effect comics always seem to have terrible art. Even those Genesis DLCs where you make choices from the previous games have awful art.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

Speasking of femshep from ME3, can anyone explain why they went with a redhead. Didn't a blonde version win the fan vote leading up to the release?

The first round of votes were for completely different faces, hair styles and races. They did a second round of votes because people were complaining about her being blond.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Soooo wasn't there supposed to be a ME4 announcement at VGX tonight? What happened with that?

No? Don't know why you thought there would be.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Flagrant Abuse posted:

What? :psyduck: The Protheans went away 50000 years ago, and the Rachni wars were, like, 2000.

The Protheans bred the Rachini to be weapons, according to Javik. They survived the culling of the Protheans and evolved into sentience, becoming a problem 50,000 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've done multiple trilogy playthroughs since the game came out. Or at least tried to, I normally peter out early in ME1. God that game has aged abysmally.

I honestly don't understand people who won't touch the entire series because of the ending.

• Locked thread