Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
So you just got done watching your favorite NBA team play on TV and decide you want to run on down to the park to practice some sweet Blake Griffin dunks and Ray Allen fadeaway 3's with your friends. However, once you get there you realize that games are already being played on the court and you won't be able to conduct your own personal one man dunk contest, so you decide to join in. After doing some nice long groin stretches in front of all the ladies in attendance, you're ready to jump in and dominate, only to realize you don't know poo poo about playing actual basketball. Welcome to the Pick-Up Basketball thread, where we can all pretend like we actually have some talent and can post about that sweet 360 windmill dunk that you totally pulled off.

So how does pick up basketball work?
The specifics of the game is usually dependent on where in the country (or world) you are playing, but some general guidelines are usually followed. Depending on the size of the court and how many players are present, the games are either half court or full court. Points are usually counted by 1s and 2s, but sometimes all shots are 1s. Be sure to know the rules of the game before it starts. Teams are usually selected either by whoever got there first and called it, or the best/biggest players choosing people out of the hopefuls on the sideline. The team that won the previous game gets to stay on the court together and starts off with the ball. Free-throws are never seen in pick up games except for choosing teams or if you're playing a different type of game like 21. Because there are no free throws, if a foul occurs the team just gets the ball back and resets their offense.
Speaking of fouling, general consensus is that fouls are called by the defensive player. However a lot of people are dicks and never say poo poo even if they whacked you in the face so don't feel bad about saying something if you get obviously fouled while shooting. Plus you get to scream "AND ONE!" and chuck a brick up at the hoop which always feels good.
Games usually go to 7, 11 or 15 and usually have to be won by 2 or more points. At least once a game you will have to stop and manually count up the score because nobody was paying attention, so try to at least remember how many points you have. If you want to be an awesome person, be the dude who yells out the score after every basket. Everyone likes that dude. Trust me.

Ballin' it up with your bros is a great way to spend time together, and stave off a midlife crisis.

What's some common etiquette for pick up basketball?
This is by no means an exhaustive list and is pretty subjective, so take it with a grain of salt.
-Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Seriously. There's a difference between playing hard and playing like a douche. If you foul somebody hard or accidentally hurt someone, it takes little to no effort to say 'my bad' and make sure they're ok. Don't pout if you lost and don't bitch at your teammates for not contributing. If you lost a close game just congratulate everyone on a good game, get your daps (awesome low-fives you give each other that make you feel like real athletes) and sit down and wait your turn again.
-Try to be a good teammate. Nobody likes the black hole on their team that never passes the ball. If you have an opportunity to score by all means take it, but be aware of possible passes you can make. If you have a decent team with good ball movement it makes the game a ton more fun.
-Be vocal! Tell your teammates where the screen is coming from or if a defender is coming up behind them trying to take the ball away in transition. Let them know you liked that sweet bounce pass they fed you while you were cutting to the hoop. Letting your teammates know where you are on the floor helps with better decision making.
-Set a loving screen once in a while! This is by far my biggest annoyance in pick up games. People never screen which is one of the most fundamental parts of basketball. Setting a strong pick can create a myriad of possibilities and is a great thing to do to help your team win.
-Try to play at least a little bit of defense. Defense is usually very lax in pick up games, but put some effort into staying in front of your man and helping your teammates when they get beat off the dribble. A general rule of thumb I use is pretending there is string attached to me and my teammates, and not allowing an offensive player to break that string.

If you like the taste of mildewy ball sweat, guard the white haired dude. I dare you.

Alright I'm ready! Except I've never picked up a basketball in my life and I'm scared of playground bullies. How do I learn to be a better player?
To put it bluntly, the only way to really get better is to be embarrassingly lovely in pick up games against other players and learn from your mistakes. Don't worry about it though, everyone else went through baby steps just like you, and most people seem to be pretty accommodating when playing with a player who is new to the game. Don't be afraid to ask your teammates what went wrong or what you could have done differently.
Once you feel more comfortable, learn your spots on the floor and what you can reliably do to score. Try to be as efficient as possible with your shot selection. For example, I can't shoot 3's for poo poo so I don't even bother unless I'm wiiiiiiiiide open. If I get the ball and I want to score I'm either going to be taking the spot up midrange jumper or driving in the lane. Don't be the dude taking turnaround fadaways a-la Jordan 20 feet from the basket. You can't hit that shot man. Don't even bother.
There are plenty of resources available that can teach you basketball fundamentals. While geared more for younger players, https://www.ihoops.com is a pretty decent resource for drills and learning things like correct jump shot form and such. There's also a great (albeit slightly dated) video series called "Better Basketball" that has videos on a ton of topics like shooting, ball handling, defense, perimeter offense, post offense, and the like. I personally used those videos and I feel like they really helped a lot for my game. I'm not sure if they're sold anywhere anymore but they're easy enough to find if you look around on the internet.
Practice, practice, practice! Many moves in basketball can simply be boiled down to repetition and muscle memory. Everyone looked like an idiot when they started and couldn't hit layups because they were jumping off the wrong foot. Grab a friend who is willing to rebound and do some shooting drills and practice your form on jumpshots and layups.

Here's a great video by Steve Nash that shows you an effective routine for practicing by yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk

So strap on your knee brace and get ready to get lit up by a 45 year old white guy in gym-goggles and short shorts, you're ready to ball! Post funny stories, techniques and hints you learned that helped your game, or talk about your specific kind of play style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I'm gonna start this off talking about game variants that are popular around here, but first some pickup etiquette/vocabulary.

VOCABULARY

Checking the Ball:Checking the ball is done on a new possession or when you reset due to a foul. You take the ball to the center of the court at the 3 and from about 5 feet away, bounce pass it to whoever is guarding you. I don't know why people do it but it's tradition, marks a new possession, and lets everyone know that it's time to wake up and play. You don't check if you're playing no-keeps fullcourt, just pass the ball in from out of bounds as usual.

Clearing the Ball:Clearing the ball is done when you're playing halfcourt and your team gets the ball from a rebound or steal. You have to take the ball out to the 3 before you can score. This prevents weird situations where the other team shoots, and you grab a rebound and put it back in and your team scores.

Keeps vs. No-Keeps: If you're playing keeps the team that scores keeps possession of the ball after scoring. If it's no-keeps the team that just got scored on gets the ball after a basket. Keeps isn't used much if you're playing fullcourt. Don't use keeps if the teams are grossly uneven because the weaker team will rarely get the ball.

GAME VARIANTS

American 21: Whoever has the ball is on offense, everyone else is on defense. Regular pickup rules for clearing, keeps. First person to X points wins. If you go out-of-bounds or travel, the first other person to grab it gets the ball.

Rules you might use:
-1 or 2 free throws after making a basket (1 point each)
-no outs

King's Court: You play 1v1 and the first person to 3 points wins. Winner (aka 'the king') stays on the court and loser rotates with a player waiting. Regular pickup rules for clearing, keeps.

Rules you might use:
-every time you successfully defend your spot as the king you get 1 point, first player to X points wins the whole thing.

Bump: Everyone lines up either at the foul line or at the 3 (depending on skill level), and the first 2 people in line have a ball. You shoot and if you miss, chase the ball down and put it in as fast as you can. If the person behind you gets their ball in before you do, you're out. Keep passing the ball to the people waiting at the front of the line and keep going until there's one person left standing. Here's a video for easier understanding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ez1_DUgTwA

Rules you might use:
-no interfering with other player's shots
-second person in line can't shoot until the first player's ball has hit the rim
-first and second place in the last round are first and second in line the next round

HORSE: A player has one attempt to get the ball in the basket, and if they make it, other players have to copy it exactly or they receive a letter from the word HORSE. If they miss, the next player has the chance to create a shot everyone has to copy. If you get all 5 letters of HORSE you're out. Usually everyone fucks around and does the most ridiculous things they can think of that would be difficult to copy, such as a between-the-legs layup off an alley-oop you threw to yourself off the backboard, or a granny shot from the 3. Be creative! Here's a video if you don't understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5VaGpJf07s

Rules you might use:
-you get 2 or 3 attempts to copy the shot
-better players start with a couple of letters as a handicap

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I vaguely remember a shooting-only variant of 21 from grade school that went something like this

- Two players
- Game starts by alternating free throws until someone makes theirs, called 'breaking the ice' - worth 2 points
- After the ice has been broken, all further rebounds become live. The player who isn't shooting may catch the rebound and shoot from where they caught it. If they make the basket it is worth one point.
- Upon sinking a basket, you keep the ball and take a shot from the foul line, again worth 2 points if you make it.
- You may move as far directly backwards from the hoop as you like (but not closer, or to the side to change the angle). You can take a 3-point shot.

I guess this is more for children and total beginners since most rebounds will end up being a few feet from the hoop, and the competition comes from players not being able to reliably sink free throws. I'm curious if this is a thing or just something my grade school hivemind popped out.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 6, 2012

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Crovie posted:

I vaguely remember a shooting-only variant of 21 from grade school that went something like this

- Two players
- Game starts by alternating free throws until someone makes theirs, called 'breaking the ice' - worth 2 points
- After the ice has been broken, all further rebounds become live. The player who isn't shooting may catch the rebound and shoot from where they caught it. If they make the basket it is worth one point.
- Upon sinking a basket, you keep the ball and take a shot from the foul line, again worth 2 points if you make it.
- You may move as far directly backwards from the hoop as you like (but not closer, or to the side to change the angle). You can take a 3-point shot.

I guess this is more for children and total beginners since most rebounds will end up being a few feet from the hoop, and the competition comes from players not being able to reliably sink free throws. I'm curious if this is a thing or just something my grade school hivemind popped out.

That sounds like how it works around here except the first free throw is only worth 1 so that if you're good/lucky enough you could make another 10 and get to 21 points without a problem. If you don't hit 21 points cleanly your score wraps around and you're back at 1 point (which is great for bragging rights if you can get to 21 twice before the other guy can).

I've also never heard of the moving backwards rule, I've always played it as you shoot from where you rebound it and if you're directly under the basket, tough :colbert:.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

BigLeafyTree posted:

I've also never heard of the moving backwards rule, I've always played it as you shoot from where you rebound it and if you're directly under the basket, tough :colbert:.

I think that rule was to speed up the game a bit since people would often wait for the ball to bounce/roll away from directly under the basket, or go a few extra inches if it was just in front of the three-point line.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BigLeafyTree posted:

Keeps vs. No-Keeps: If you're playing keeps the team that scores keeps possession of the ball after scoring. If it's no-keeps the team that just got scored on gets the ball after a basket. Keeps isn't used much if you're playing fullcourt. Don't use keeps if the teams are grossly uneven because the weaker team will rarely get the ball.

Bump: Everyone lines up either at the foul line or at the 3 (depending on skill level), and the first 2 people in line have a ball. You shoot and if you miss, chase the ball down and put it in as fast as you can. If the person behind you gets their ball in before you do, you're out. Keep passing the ball to the people waiting at the front of the line and keep going until there's one person left standing. Here's a video for easier understanding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ez1_DUgTwA

Rules you might use:
-no interfering with other player's shots
-second person in line can't shoot until the first player's ball has hit the rim
-first and second place in the last round are first and second in line the next round

I'm not sure where you're from, but I've never heard either of these terms. Not trying to start a soda/pop/Coke type argument, but I've always heard Keeps referred to as Make It, Take It and Bump referred to as Knockout.

Also, there is nothing more satisfying to me in a pickup game than hitting a guy cutting to the basket with a sweet bounce pass out of the post.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
We call Bump either America or Australia and there is always an argument which one it 'really' is.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Also, there is nothing more satisfying to me in a pickup game than hitting a guy cutting to the basket with a sweet bounce pass out of the post.

Being left on an island defending the guy who thinks he's in an And1 mixtape and stuffing him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are your guys rules for moving offensive players out of the lane as defense. I push them with a non extended arm. This ends up pissing some people off. But am I supposed to just let them stand in the lane?

Edit

To be clearer, I am not saying they have established position and I come out of nowhere and push them. I mean when fighting for position.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

You can prevent them going from point A to point B, but you can't move them out of point A.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

lmao zebong posted:

Alright I'm ready! Except I've never picked up a basketball in my life and I'm scared of playground bullies. How do I learn to be a better player?

Let's talk about this some more.

It is very important, and I cannot stress this enough, to find your appropriate role, especially as a newbie, and refine the skills needed to play that role.

If you are a 6'3 guy, you are a big man by pickup standards. Play the big man role. Don't run around the 3pt line. Don't try to handle the ball. Get your fat behind in the lane and get rebounds, contest shots, get rebounds and make put backs. DO NOT JUST SHOOT JUMPERS OH GOD.

If you are 5'8 and 145 lbs, DO NO WORK ON A POST GAME.

I'm a "big man" and I have I have a very good classic back to the basket game. It makes me want to punch people in the face when I see a little dude practicing a hook. I do not want to play with this guy, because he is going to screw up the spacing on the floor. He's going to go try to post up some other little guy, and either clog up the offense because you end up with 3 offensive players and their defenders down around the basket, or he's going to force the big men out of the lane where they are uncomfortable.

"But!" you say, "I have a very good hook!". I DO NOT CARE. GET OUT OF THE POST. Even if you can hit it with your eyes closed, you are hurting your team, because if I am a defensive big man and I see you posting up in the lane, I am going to the weak side and I am going to destroy your shot.

If you are a small dude, learn to shoot a jumper. Every court has a couple old guys who hit 90% of their twos or threes when they are open. Ask them to teach you. They will. Old guys love to teach young guys how to play.

There is nothing I love more as a big man than a guy who can 1) make a post entry pass and 2) hit an open 3. If you're a shoot dude, practice that 3. Shoot a hundred a day. Make a big man smile. Get open looks.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
wow...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

crm posted:

Let's talk about this some more.

It is very important, and I cannot stress this enough, to find your appropriate role, especially as a newbie, and refine the skills needed to play that role.

If you are a 6'3 guy, you are a big man by pickup standards. Play the big man role. Don't run around the 3pt line. Don't try to handle the ball. Get your fat behind in the lane and get rebounds, contest shots, get rebounds and make put backs. DO NOT JUST SHOOT JUMPERS OH GOD.

If you are 5'8 and 145 lbs, DO NO WORK ON A POST GAME.

I'm a "big man" and I have I have a very good classic back to the basket game. It makes me want to punch people in the face when I see a little dude practicing a hook. I do not want to play with this guy, because he is going to screw up the spacing on the floor. He's going to go try to post up some other little guy, and either clog up the offense because you end up with 3 offensive players and their defenders down around the basket, or he's going to force the big men out of the lane where they are uncomfortable.

"But!" you say, "I have a very good hook!". I DO NOT CARE. GET OUT OF THE POST. Even if you can hit it with your eyes closed, you are hurting your team, because if I am a defensive big man and I see you posting up in the lane, I am going to the weak side and I am going to destroy your shot.

If you are a small dude, learn to shoot a jumper. Every court has a couple old guys who hit 90% of their twos or threes when they are open. Ask them to teach you. They will. Old guys love to teach young guys how to play.

There is nothing I love more as a big man than a guy who can 1) make a post entry pass and 2) hit an open 3. If you're a shoot dude, practice that 3. Shoot a hundred a day. Make a big man smile. Get open looks.

On the flip side: if you're a big man posting up and catching an entry pass, CATCH THE loving PASS WITH YOUR ARMS EXTENDED. Don't wait for the ball to hit you in the chest, have the man guarding you poke it away before it gets there and then blame the passer. Goddamnit.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

jyrka posted:

wow...

Sorry, there's one guy who plays regularly at my gym who does this. He's 5'8 160 on a good day and can't hit a jumper to save his life.

He literally breaks the games. I had to play with him today. I want to hit something.

edit: seriously he's the worst basketball player on the planet

My favorite thing he did today: I was in the post right outside the lane, just below left elbow. He gets the ball at the top of the key, I reach out to receive the ball and he waves me off and starts dribbling towards me, like he's going to use me for a screen.

I put my arms down and turn towards 90 degrees towards him to set the screen, he stops right at the elbow about 18" from me and fires a hard chest towards the left corner, which is completely vacant and yells at me for not catching it.

crm fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 6, 2012

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So if a guy is posting me up and I defend him with a forearm to the back thats illegal defense? I've been shying away from using it after some dude was complaining that I couldn't defend him like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If he already has position you cant push.

But it gets hard if he is still pushing you closer to the basket. I don't know. Some guys like to fight and don't care and some guys get real pissy and call fouls.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Just see how much he lets you get away with. I'm tall but not massive by any means so I always have trouble keeping the large guys out of the lane. I just stick a hand in his ribs and do my best, sometimes leaning a bit too much. Just try to keep track of his tendencies and if you play it smart it won't be such a disadvantage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sneaky move: when a shot goes up and you are boxing out hook your elbow around the inside of a guys arm so he cant raise his arm or jump.

Another one: if you are guarding a guy but looking at the ball handler, grab your guardees pants so if he moves you know.

Act innocent if he complains.

Also: pump fakes are devastating on interior shots. It is so hard for people not to bite.

Skipper Klemens
Nov 11, 2004

Also, try to front him. Play ball-denial. Lots of guys on the perimeter won't make the entry pass, if you're half-fronting the guy in the post. And even if they try, the pass is often a bit off, so either it's a turnover or he has to go further from the hoop. That's my strategy, since I'm 6'5 and 175 pounds and don't have the mass to bang with the other guys that are my height.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

If he already has position you cant push.

But it gets hard if he is still pushing you closer to the basket. I don't know. Some guys like to fight and don't care and some guys get real pissy and call fouls.

If you're unsure, ask a teamate, another guy who's been around. I've played with groups that tell the offensive player to cut it out, and others who've said "tough luck you're outweighed by 100 lbs dude".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What's the etiquette on playing defense in the post if you're a small guy? I'm 5'9 150 and my favorite part of pick up is destroying a 6'2+ guy by bumping the poo poo out of him and whacking the ball out of his hands in the post.

On a side note I just started playing basketball last summer intermediately on the local courts against all ages and sized people. The regulars are these three Chinese guys and this old white dude that constantly call me Jeremy because I'm young and I only play point. My jump shot is weak and I'm really unsteady driving to the hoop, although I am really quick and fast. Because of this I only pass, even on wide open shots, and I play defense like a champion, even got a few compliments last time playing against a few guys who played basketball all throughout high school.

Is playing intense D frowned upon in pickup games? I feel like I never see anyone play defense but I personally end up with 5ish steals a game and end up shutting down whoever I'm up against.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If by intense D you mean fouling on every play, yeah people dont like that.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

Sneaky move: when a shot goes up and you are boxing out hook your elbow around the inside of a guys arm so he cant raise his arm or jump.

Another one: if you are guarding a guy but looking at the ball handler, grab your guardees pants so if he moves you know.

Just be wary that using these moves could result in retaliation. If it got to the point it annoyed me that you were grabbing my pants I would start hitting your wrist hard every time until you stopped.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

If by intense D you mean fouling on every play, yeah people dont like that.

I do end up fouling a lot but I call myself when I whack hands or arms. The way I play defense is like Jason Kidd where I just put my body right up on a guy then start poking the ball on both sides with both my arms. I also love turning my head towards the guy I'm guarding while I slowly edge towards the ball carrier then swat it away when he's driving.

It works great and I know I'm getting the ball most of the time, but I get a ton of people calling fouls despite it being clean and I can't argue it because then I'll look douchey.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

Is playing intense D frowned upon in pickup games? I feel like I never see anyone play defense but I personally end up with 5ish steals a game and end up shutting down whoever I'm up against.

Nobody likes it because you're making them look bad.

There's not really an etiquette so much as you just shouldn't do anything foul worthy unless it's game point or something like that. Just keep in mind it's a pickup game and not the NBA finals. You can slap the ball away. I see that plenty. But if you're hitting hands a lot then you'll piss someone off and he'll be much bigger than you

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Doltos posted:

I play 99% of my pickup games on a university campus, so it might be a different setting, but people tend to play decent defense and certainly nobody is upset when you play somebody really close and try to lock your man down.

Also, it was mentioned earlier a bit but it bears repeating, the best defense is ball denial. If you're on a guy who's a great shooter or a post threat, just keep the ball out of his hands at all costs. Proactive defense.

Impper
May 10, 2003

If a guy loves switching hands and crossing over without moving a lot, pin his off arm to his body when you think he might switch hands. It's almost a guaranteed steal, and only great ballhandlers will burn you.

If somebody dribbles high, try to stick your hands under his when he's dribbling. Steal

Always shade somebody to their weak hand. Most guys playing pickup can't score or be effective with their offhand.

Most guys don't guard the ball when they're in a triple threat position or even when they're dribbling. Just get in and poke it away. This can be hard at first but once you get the knack for it it's dead simple.

If there's a weak player on the other team, try to ignore him to disrupt the other players. Soft zone it, especially if you're playing with somebody you know who'll guard the interior against a guy who can only hit wide open layups.

If you aren't getting the ball, talk to your teammates about passing it. Most guys will oblige every time.

Spend a little bit of time every day working on some skill or move.

Most people don't box out in pickup, so try to move to the open space as soon as the shot goes up. Some people are great at predicting where the ball will go (the other side of the basket from where the shot came from), but I generally have more success just avoiding the other guys.

Definitely learn how to perform an explosive first step from a triple threat or stationary dribbling position. Even a fat or slow person can get by most players because nobody moves their feet or performs proper defense in pickup. This will be the most valuable skill you can have other than generally being able to shoot.

If you're dribbling into a shot, always try to think of yourself as moving towards the basket (and actually move that way). This will tremendously improve your accuracy regardless of your shooting ability. Some people can shoot while fading away or moving side to side but most can't. I hit most of my pullups when I can focus on this and brick most when I don't.

BEEF: Balance, Eyes, Elbow, Follow through. Jimmer lists this in one of his videos, but it's essential to getting your shot right even if your form is wonky. The components are fairly simple. Focus on the basket...

Anyway, I used to be a great pickup player until my knee got hosed. I've been getting back in for a year or so, so I've been looking at a lot of sports medicine and workout sort of things, which has helped my health tremendously. These in particular:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_superior_single_leg_exercises&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/the_essential_8_mobility_drills&cr=

After a good 5 months using these mobility drills, my knee is basically as good as it's ever been. I still can't explode like I used to and I'm fairly slow now, but it's great knowing that I can play for a few hours without looking forward to a few days of excruciating soreness.

p.s. if you dunk once before the game starts everybody will automatically assume you're a god even if you're hot garbage and prove it over and over. Don't I know this...

Impper fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 6, 2012

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
While I am by no means a good basketball player, I'm not terrible and can usually contribute to my team in a positive way. Here are some tips I have learned along the way that I think I helped my game:

Use triple threat!
Triple threat is a great weapon that makes the defense off guard and has them guessing what your next move is. If you don't know what triple threat position is, it's basically when you catch the basketball off a pass but don't use your dribble yet. Keep your legs slightly bent and the ball in your shot pocket. This is effective because from those position you can shoot the ball, pass the ball or dribble. I see a lot of players catch a pass and immediately start dribbling, which takes away the threat of the quick jumper or a pass to another teammate. Once you're in triple threat, you can use a variety of fakes to keep your defender off balance.

Jab steps are your friend
My jab step is probably my most effective move because people fall for easy poo poo all the time. People (especially in pick up) are very quick to react and it's pretty easy to have them bite if you fake effectively enough. I can't really find a video of this move, but what I like to do I've heard called the 'Rocker' or 'Rocker Jab Step'. You can do this either in triple threat (more effective) or off the dribble (still works but a little more difficult). Essentially you show the defender a huge but slightly slow jab step to have them bite in the direction you're faking. Step your leading foot out hard and fast and start to lean your body forward in that direction. However, don't take the actual step forward and freeze for a moment and then begin to pull your leg back by straightening your knee. This will make your defender think you are going to reset your position and they will begin to relax. When you see them start to move their body away from your fake, explode forward in that direction again you will almost always catch them by surprise and get by them. This works really well, I've even told friends what I'm doing and they still fall for the initial jab step all the time.

Pump fake them out of their shoes
Pump fakes, if used convincingly, work really well at both beating your man off the dribble and making them look like an idiot. People love to block poo poo in pick up games and will almost always launch off the ground when they start to see a shooting motion. Just start a slow shooting motion and bring the ball up just below your eye level, then put it on the ground and dribble in if you see them bite. The key is making your pump fake much slower than your shooting motion, which makes the defender think they have a chance. Be sure to fake with your eyes and head too to make it look convincing.

Learn how to move without the ball
If your teammate has the ball, don't just stand around on the perimeter waiting for a pass so you can chuck up a jumper with your guy all over you. Constantly cut into the lane from one side to the other and be ready for the pass! Set screens for your teammate with the ball and then roll to the hoop. Try to backdoor cut (fake running one way and then go the opposite way) your defender to get open. Use V-cuts (walk your man slowly into the lane and get them off guard, then run out to the perimeter to take the pass). If you see your teammate drive into the lane, either run to the lane yourself at a different angle to see if you can get open under the basket or move smartly outside on the perimeter to set yourself up for the open jumper.

Check to see which dominant hand your man uses
Most players in pick up games can only go in one direction and can't dribble for poo poo with their opposite hand. Look and see which hand they shoot with, and then fade more to that side when you defend them to take away that hand. Unless they can actually dribble reliably with both hands, most people freak and give the ball up if they can't drive the way they want.

Be a good sport about stuff
This kind of goes without saying but it really does go a long way. Congratulate your teammates on good passes or for scoring. People like to hear that they did the right thing. Encourage your teammates to keep shooting if they took a good shot but missed it. Say 'my bad' when you gently caress up on defense and let your big man get posterized (lol nobody can dunk in pick up games what am I saying.) Let them know where you like to get the ball and say nice stuff when they get it to you in the right spots. Talk on defense! Not being a douche and trying to be a good teammate will helped you get picked for the next games and makes sure people like you and want to play with you.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

I do end up fouling a lot but I call myself when I whack hands or arms. The way I play defense is like Jason Kidd where I just put my body right up on a guy then start poking the ball on both sides with both my arms. I also love turning my head towards the guy I'm guarding while I slowly edge towards the ball carrier then swat it away when he's driving.

It works great and I know I'm getting the ball most of the time, but I get a ton of people calling fouls despite it being clean and I can't argue it because then I'll look douchey.

Calling more than, like, one foul in a pickup game is pretty douchey in itself. If you know you didn't get him then he's trying to save face and I'm not helping some jerkoff out like that. You dont have to complain but it's well within your right to make fun of him or just say something about him calling fouls that don't exist

Edit: ^^ yeah always be a good teammate and give credit for passes and boards. That stuff goes a long way, even when you're terrible. Nothing is worse than having a guy on your team that thinks he's way better than he is and sulks over every mistake you make so be humble and fun

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 6, 2012

Impper
May 10, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Calling more than, like, one foul in a pickup game is pretty douchey in itself. If you know you didn't get him then he's trying to save face and I'm not helping some jerkoff out like that. You dont have to complain but it's well within your right to make fun of him or just say something about him calling fouls that don't exist

I've been playing at a gym where a ton of guys call fouls and everybody respects it every time. It's the weakest poo poo and I laugh at it every time. There was one game where it was game point for about 20 minutes, and the guy on the defending team had gotten so pissed off at that point that he was fouling on every play, and the guy that had kept calling them called the fouls every time. There was an audience of 15 people who laughed the whole way through

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BIZORT posted:

Just keep in mind it's a pickup game and not the NBA finals.

This is the most important point in the whole thread. Basketball is fun, people play to have fun.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is the most important point in the whole thread. Basketball is fun, people play to have fun.

At the same time realize there will be people that don't understand this. Ignore them and hope you don't get stuck on their team.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I played against a guy from Hong Kong who was very good and quick but had this strut whenever he did anything and I fancy myself a lockdown defense guy, since my arms are super long and such, so I volunteered to guard him. He was posting me up and this rear end in a top hat slips his head down below mine and jumps, headbutting me upwards from under my jaw. I grabbed him and just threw him out of bounds to the ground in anger as I checked to see if my chin was bleeding and my jaw was still attached. I'm alright except for a huge bruise in a very weird place. Then I go back to the guy and he's screaming foul and trying to fight me. After 10 minutes of screaming at the guy, we sort of make up but he's done strutting around for the whole game and stops shooting almost entirely. I kind of felt like a badass. Afterwards, another Asian guy came up and told me Hong Kong guys are all like that so uhh, take that for what it's worth.

I also escaped some court in a meth neighborhood by about 2 minutes before someone was shot after I pissed off a kid with a tattoo on his skull because I locked him up and only gave up a lucky 3. We heard gunshots as we were driving off. Checked the news later and sure enough, some poor guy caught a bullet in that immediate area. Never went back there.

Impper
May 10, 2003

After my injury/long layoff, I'm not nearly as athletic or strong as I used to be, so I started working on my floater a lot more. It's an amazing shot . . . People don't use it all too often, and guys just refuse to guard it. I've popped a floater on a guy 4 or 5 times and he still doesn't guard it the next time. Scoring on poo poo like that will piss people off in a hurry. I really wish I'd learned this when I was still actually good.

Welp, I keep thinking of pickup now. If your team has strong rebounders, you should leak out every single time a shot goes up. I've played games to 11 where I've scored 5 points on that alone. Guys are usually too lazy or stupid to stop you, and after about two of them they'll start to complain that you're cherry-picking.

The asian players . . . Every injury I've suffered has been from an Asian.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
There is an Asian kid where I play that loves to undercut people or step under them when the shoot a jump shot.

I love the floater in pick-up. In officiated games I would rather take it to the rim and get the free throw, but the floater is great for reducing the beating my body takes from going to the basket.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

stephelopholus posted:

There is an Asian kid where I play that loves to undercut people or step under them when the shoot a jump shot.

This is the one situation in life where I will try to start a fight with someone. gently caress that poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is the one situation in life where I will try to start a fight with someone. gently caress that poo poo.

Undercutting is terrible, people who purposely kick their legs out to create space are terrible, people who do those crazy flagrant fouls when someone has a fastbreak layup are terrible, and people who drive with their heads down are terrible. Other than that pickup basketball is pretty wonderful.

Make sure you play in a gym or only in outdoor places that you're familiar with, though. Some people take basketball way too seriously.

E: Also, Eurostep to Layup until I die :smug:

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
I got into with him a bit upon leaving the gym. He hasn't done it to me since, and only plays every once in a while so I am over it.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
This is a pretty good and funny series of articles on pick up basketball

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2010/06/pickup-diaries-part-1-fat-to-fit.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
ESPN Page2 article from a while back about the 10 pickup players from Hell:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/090702/pickup1