Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impper
May 10, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

E: Also, Eurostep to Layup until I die :smug:

I've been working on eurosteps and most of the time it seems that it was pointless to do because guys don't move anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^ Bizort I had a similar thing happen, except instead of headbutting me under the jaw, he got me under the armpit and basically clothes lined himself. He was really mad until everyone else explained to him that I didn't move at all.

At work today we started repairing our goal (we play pick up games during lunch), since last November or so someone put a ball through the backboard right on the square. Since I work at a machine shop we just sheared some Lexan down to the right size and JB Welded the new sheet on top of the old one.

As far as our court etiquette goes, well half of the people I play with have spent various amounts of time in prison, so defense is tenacious and if you call ticky tack fouls you're just going to get laughed at. As a big guy (the biggest in fact, since I play with mostly Cambodians who are 5'6" to 5'8"), I pretty much expect to get hacked every time I post up or go for a rebound. I only call fouls when someone catches me in the face or knees me in the balls or something.

On the subject of fouls do you guys play with charges at all? I've caught a couple of guys in obvious charges and they called the foul on me.

As for advice for new players: Rebound with two hands god damnit. You are not an NBA player who can palm a ball. Nothing is more annoying than the other team getting an easy offensive rebound and open shot because someone on your team only went up with one hand and the best they could do was tip it out somewhere.

What do you guys do to avoid jamming your fingers? The first two fingers on both of my hands have permanently swollen knuckles from jamming them literally every day on errant/tipped passes and rebounds. Is this a case of stone hands on my part?

e: Woah I had this post open longer than I thought. Guess a lot of goons play pick up.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
This is all pretty useful advice, can we also use this thread to find SAS games? If so and you're in the Indianapolis or Cincinnati area and you want to play with someone 6'3 who is the absolute worst player alive, let me know.

Impper
May 10, 2003

I think jamming your fingers has a lot to do with luck. But you're doing it every day so that's probably on you . . . In six or seven years of pickup ball I probably jammed a finger 20 or 30 times, but in the last year I haven't jammed a finger once. also lol @ calling charges

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Impper posted:

After my injury/long layoff, I'm not nearly as athletic or strong as I used to be, so I started working on my floater a lot more. It's an amazing shot . . . People don't use it all too often, and guys just refuse to guard it. I've popped a floater on a guy 4 or 5 times and he still doesn't guard it the next time. Scoring on poo poo like that will piss people off in a hurry. I really wish I'd learned this when I was still actually good.

My bread and butter, and pretty much the only shot I practice, is the running floater. It's so easy to do, people don't expect it when you're going full speed, and it keeps me out of range of the 6'2+ guys that swat everything. It's also nice because you can start your shot before a guy gets a chance to bump you.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Anyone know some good ways to improve your ballhandling skills?

I'm a pretty solid spot up shooter, and move well without the ball in order to get open shots, but when I'm forced to put the ball on the floor I'm just terrible, I either get shut down quickly or they swipe the ball away.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
No charges in pick-up. It is hard enough for referee's to tell if the defender was set. Most likely frowned upon for trying to take one.

Impper
May 10, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I'm a pretty solid spot up shooter, and move without the ball in order to get open shots, but when I'm forced to put the ball on the floor I'm just terrible, I either get shut down quickly or they swipe the ball away.

Youtube videos. Lots of them.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I said this somewhere else but Jeremy Lin needs to get out of the news so that huge groups of asians stop showing up to every court. I hate having to wait a while to play. Plus they try and call poo poo like traveling and little touch fouls.

Also I played a group of asian kids a couple weeks ago that ran a set offense and only spoke in some language that wasn't english. I could not believe that poo poo. I was laughing my rear end off in the middle of the game.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm not sure where you're from, but I've never heard either of these terms. Not trying to start a soda/pop/Coke type argument, but I've always heard Keeps referred to as Make It, Take It and Bump referred to as Knockout.

Also, there is nothing more satisfying to me in a pickup game than hitting a guy cutting to the basket with a sweet bounce pass out of the post.

Yeah I've always called it make it, take it and knockout too. Also I've never played where like the OP says where its up to the defense to call fouls. You get fouled, you call it. You don't want to speak up then you don't get the ball back.

But really you shouldn't call fouls unless you get whacked hard anyway.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Jota posted:

You get fouled, you call it. You don't want to speak up then you don't get the ball back.

But really you shouldn't call fouls unless you get whacked hard anyway.

I hate the "And One" call or no call and then try to finish the play and expect the ball back when you miss.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

rscott posted:

On the subject of fouls do you guys play with charges at all? I've caught a couple of guys in obvious charges and they called the foul on me.

If you called a charge or tried to take a charge in a pickup game you would get made fun of until you left and then probably for a while after that.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen a charge called in a pickup game. I've never even thought of it before.

On jammed fingers, I've jammed them more times than I care to count but sometimes you can pull it out and save yourself a week of dull pain. Grab your finger a little above the joint in question and give it a really quick yank away from your hand. If you feel a little pop, congratulations. I've successfully done this maybe 10% of the time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mikeraskol posted:

I'm a pretty solid spot up shooter, and move well without the ball in order to get open shots, but when I'm forced to put the ball on the floor I'm just terrible, I either get shut down quickly or they swipe the ball away.

Every time I go to the court I watch a youtube video on how to do a particular move then I spend my warm up period dribbling around the court doing that move. When the pick up games start I will only do that move the entire game. Practicing a wide range of dribbles and shots is a sure fire way to be mediocre to bad at all of them. Concentrated practicing is what my coaches in every sport always taught me. Pick one thing, repeat it, repeat it, repeat it, get it burned into your muscle memory then move on to the next thing.

Right now I've been working on switching hands by doing the dribble behind my back. I look stupid doing it and it's not smooth by any means, but over the last two weeks I've went from not being able to do it, to doing it rusty, to now avoiding a ton of guys lunging to steal the ball by just popping it really quickly. I'm still not good by any means and it's not Baron Davis smooth, but I'm improving and it's working.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Impper posted:

I've been working on eurosteps and most of the time it seems that it was pointless to do because guys don't move anyway

It makes me feel alive. :3:

Also, don't call or try to take charges in pickup.

1. It's dumb and everyone will hate you
2. It's impossible to tell
3. Grit and intangibles are useless in pickup
4. Seriously, everyone will hate you

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I think if you tried to take and call a charge and were insistent about it you would probably start a fight

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If I'm just screwing around with friends and not really keeping score, I'll shuffle in front of dudes and take ridiculous flops, but if you actually seriously try to draw charges in a pickup game then you deserve ridicule.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

As much as I enjoy dribbling and doing neato tricks sometimes, I realize I'm a 6'2 lanky guy and when I do bring the ball up in my rec league games I get pick pocketed at a much higher than average rate. If you're tall, don't try to handle the drat ball because you're giving away an extra split second or two for someone to pick you clean. I'm the only guy that can set anything up on my rec team but those tiny asians pick me every time so I have someone else bring the ball up and then give it to me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jota posted:

I think if you tried to take and call a charge and were insistent about it you would probably start a fight

It would probably be like trying to call someone for palming or 3 in the key.

Has anyone here tried running a pick and roll in pickup? There were two guys that used to be high school teammates at the court the other day that were running the court with it but I was wondering if it'd be difficult/in bad taste to do it with someone you just met.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah we call our own fouls, and the Cambodians will totally talk to each other in their own language if the whole team is Cambodian.

Don't hate on the calling charges thing I've only played basketball since I started working at my current job, ~2 years. :mad: At least I've gone from being last picked, only if they need someone to round out teams and told to stand in front of the basket with my hands up to being 1st or 2nd picked because I'm hands down the best post defender amongst our player pool.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

It would probably be like trying to call someone for palming or 3 in the key.

Has anyone here tried running a pick and roll in pickup? There were two guys that used to be high school teammates at the court the other day that were running the court with it but I was wondering if it'd be difficult/in bad taste to do it with someone you just met.

Pick and roll is like the most fundamental play in basketball. I don't think anyone will get mad if you do it, although whenever I play, pick and pop is much more common just because the lane is always clogged.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

rscott posted:

Yeah we call our own fouls, and the Cambodians will totally talk to each other in their own language if the whole team is Cambodian.

Don't hate on the calling charges thing I've only played basketball since I started working at my current job, ~2 years. :mad: At least I've gone from being last picked, only if they need someone to round out teams and told to stand in front of the basket with my hands up to being 1st or 2nd picked because I'm hands down the best post defender amongst our player pool.

Imagine how well you'll do when people don't hate you

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BIZORT posted:

Imagine how well you'll do when people don't hate you

I, like Michael Jordan, thrive on other people's hate and use it as fuel to grind my enemies further into the dust. :colbert:

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team

Declan MacManus posted:

I would highly encourage you trying to run pick and rolls and pick and pops. People are stupid when it comes to dealing with screens so someone is almost always open. IMO it's one of the easiest and most effective ways to win in pick up so I try to do it all the time. I usually just tell my team "I'm going to be screening for you all day so look for me after the pick" before we start to let them know what the plan is. If you can get one or two players screening on or off the ball for your team you will usually dominate. However I'm a 5'8" 130lb white dude so sometimes my screens are not the most effective, but it's the thought that counts.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Declan MacManus posted:

I gets run a bunch of times just about every game I've seen or played in. Nothing wrong with it.

Skipper Klemens
Nov 11, 2004

Pick and roll is like the most fundamental play in basketball. I don't think anyone will get mad if you do it, although whenever I play, pick and pop is much more common just because the lane is always clogged.
Yeah, another tip: Please don't clog the lane. Take a step away from the basket to keep your man away. If a guy is on the wing, don't just run in and stand a few feet behind his defender. You're not doing anything and you're bringing in another defender.

If you play five-on-five, you have to realize that you're probably not going to be involved in every play. Pick your spots.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When my friend and me ran PNR once it worked but all the kids laughed us and called us old white men and then didn't let us play anymore.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

E2M2 posted:

So if a guy is posting me up and I defend him with a forearm to the back thats illegal defense? I've been shying away from using it after some dude was complaining that I couldn't defend him like that.

this is completely legal. you can't push him out, however you can place the forearm in his back to prevent them from backing you straight down.

The no arm/hand checking is for the perimeter.

The post is where contact fouls go to die, I usually don't call anything unless it's on my shooting arm and it has a definite effect on my shot.

There's lots of offensive fouls happening down there to. I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally drop step, put my shoulder into somebody's chest and go through them.

crm fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 6, 2012

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I don't get why dudes slap the backboards when they get layups. Ya you can hit the backboard, but can you dunk it?

edit: Also when someone is defending someone who just shot, and still following through but only going straight to them like they are trying to push their fingers into their abs?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 7, 2012

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
It isn't real pick-up basketball if you don't shake your head in bewilderment once a game.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

rscott posted:

What do you guys do to avoid jamming your fingers? The first two fingers on both of my hands have permanently swollen knuckles from jamming them literally every day on errant/tipped passes and rebounds. Is this a case of stone hands on my part?

I started doing fingertip pushups and haven't jammed my fingers in years. If you can't manage them at first start off doing one hand flat and one hand on your fingertips.

e: 'That guy' that I hate the most is the one who calls touch fouls on offense and gets incredulous when you call him out for hacking hard on every loving possession on defense. Don't be 'that guy'.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

When my friend and me ran PNR once it worked but all the kids laughed us and called us old white men and then didn't let us play anymore.

We get this all the time when the 16 year olds get up early enough on saturday to play with us 30 year olds. I actually love these games. On the one hand, they get 5 or 6 easy baskets because they're so athletic and can dunk. On the other hand, we get 5 or 6 easy baskets because we set screens and force turnovers by helping out D and box out rebounding.

Benicio
Mar 21, 2004

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay
Early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose
Every other year in my men's league a bunch of 28-30ish year old former CIS guys (Canadian NCAA) make a team and destroy everyone. I'm 6'2 and can dunk and hit jumpers regularly and I feel like a leprechaun trying to guard any of them. One of them weighs about 280 pounds now and is shaped like a barrel except he has legit range to about 26 feet.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Can someone explain to me how to actually shoot a proper hook shot? I've been trying off and on to learn this for years and it's never stuck. All I can do is a kind of baby hook going across the lane like a 6'2" white unathletic Dwight Howard.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Can someone explain to me how to actually shoot a proper hook shot? I've been trying off and on to learn this for years and it's never stuck. All I can do is a kind of baby hook going across the lane like a 6'2" white unathletic Dwight Howard.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/HookShot.html

It's all about touch, though.

E: Unless you're trying to do the sky hook, in which case :laffo:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Pickup homework: Learn this move http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqZnBmMkuc and use it every time you can.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

cisneros posted:

Pickup homework: Learn this move http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqZnBmMkuc and use it every time you can.

This is the only basketball move that has ever just completely blown my mind. No matter how many times I see it I can't figure out how it happens. Full-speed, replay, slow-motion, repeated, following the steps, I cannot figure out what the gently caress is going on.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Mandrel posted:

This is the only basketball move that has ever just completely blown my mind. No matter how many times I see it I can't figure out how it happens. Full-speed, replay, slow-motion, repeated, following the steps, I cannot figure out what the gently caress is going on.

It's a dribble into a jump stop. Except the dribble is a crossover beneath the legs, and the jump stop is behind the back. Not to belittle it, that looks hard as hell to do under control while in traffic and he makes it look easy.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

As for advice for new players: Rebound with two hands god damnit. You are not an NBA player who can palm a ball. Nothing is more annoying than the other team getting an easy offensive rebound and open shot because someone on your team only went up with one hand and the best they could do was tip it out somewhere.

People can usually jump higher if they stretch out with one side of the body and reach for the ball. When I do that for a rebound, I don't try to palm it. I try to maintain control until I can bring the ball to my other hand and snap it shut like alligator jaws.

Re: Pick and roll. It's done in almost every single game I've played. When I don't have the ball, it's usually my last resort though, because it works so well and thus I find it boring.

My first preference is to screen somebody off the ball so he can get a open jumper or create a mismatch when the teamates switch off on defense. If that doesn't work, I try to get away form my man and get a open shot. Or I try to post up if the guy guarding me is shorter. Finally, if my team's offense is still stalled, I try to PnR with the ball handler. Mostly pick and pop though because as somebody mentioned the lane is usually clogged and it takes a pretty deft passer/ball handler to run the rolls well. It's easier to pass it off on a pop.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'm a fairly lovely player that is 6'3", but I help pretty much any of the smaller guys with pick and rolls and pick and pops with great success. When that isn't happening, I just try to give ball handlers room to drive or operate out of the left block.

I did just have my hand operated on though (Had bone from my right wrist put into my right ring finger), and I'm only allowed to play again now so that'll be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You guys and all your height. I'm 5'3 and one of those Asians you hate so much :mad: but I will rebound, box out and do everything I can to get you the ball in a good spot so you can score. Don't ask me to shoot because I will shoot it without remorse and it will not go in :colbert:

So please, shoot the ball and I don't care about scoring. Assists, rebounding and good defense are what get me going.

• Locked thread