Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm not a great player by any extent, but goddamn do I love teams who actually look for the cutter. I'm incapable of making my own offense and only a mediocre 3 pt shooter so generally most of my points are off of putbacks or fastbreaks, but a game today the random dude playing point actually knew how to pass. Amazing how much easier the game is when you can get the ball in the post while cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

stephelopholus posted:

"Yo man, I'm from Portland. I will gently caress you up." This was a real quote from the argument that lead to the fight. Realize we are playing at a gym 15 minutes away from downtown Portland, and i would guess at least 50% of the people there were from Portland. And Portland is the least intimidating city on the planet. Nothing about Portland or the people are scary.

As someone from Portland, this owns so hard.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
The worst games ever are the ones where you're able to get open for layups shots that you can hit normally, but you just brick them all. Last night I played for a while and I swear to god I missed 10 straight layups that I'd hit any other day. I can't really quit shooting them cause they're hittable but I feel like I'm dragging my team down with missed shots.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
28' one handed banked three pointers at the buzzer are my niche shot when I play pick up.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Based solely on that one photo, I'm going to assume Barry O is a total baller.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
There's actually no better feeling in the world than when you're a mediocre player who is playing against worse players and you can feel like lebron for a day.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Did they actually use "are" instead of "our"? :psyduck:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
The other day some guy called me a "fundamentally sound basketball player" after I played a decent but unspectacular game and I have never felt so white.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Here's a question: I play a decent amount of pickup and have a fairly decent offensive game in 2v2 or 3v3, a decent mix of driving to the lane as well as post work, but whenever I play 5's I just cannot do anything offensively with all the extra people on the court. What's a good way, aside from just playing lots of 5 on 5, to improve my offensive game in full games? What's important to focus on? Cutting for the open pass is really hard with lots of people on the court.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Pulling out the big balls dance every time you do something reasonably competent is like half of the reason to play pickup.

Sidenote: nobody likes to play pickup with me

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I've been playing semi-consistently for around 4 months now, and I just realized today how much my expectations for a good personal game have shifted and its really cool to think about in retrospect. When I first started playing, a good game was one where I didn't get embarrassed too bad on the defensive end and managed to grab a board or two. Now after a game I consider it a good game if I got more than 2-3 buckets, limit my turnovers, and didn't give up any points defensively. I'm still not great, but it's really cool to step back and see the development of my game. Particularly on the offensive end, where my game has gone from setting screens and hoping no one passes it to me, to being able to actually get to lose my man and ge tto positions where I can get easy layups and even occasionally take the ball off the dribble to a layup.

Basketball is fun.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Man you guys really missed the thread title didn't you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
To be fair calling a travel on 3 steps playing pickup kinda makes you that guy and people will stop playing with you.

• Locked thread