Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I vaguely remember a shooting-only variant of 21 from grade school that went something like this

- Two players
- Game starts by alternating free throws until someone makes theirs, called 'breaking the ice' - worth 2 points
- After the ice has been broken, all further rebounds become live. The player who isn't shooting may catch the rebound and shoot from where they caught it. If they make the basket it is worth one point.
- Upon sinking a basket, you keep the ball and take a shot from the foul line, again worth 2 points if you make it.
- You may move as far directly backwards from the hoop as you like (but not closer, or to the side to change the angle). You can take a 3-point shot.

I guess this is more for children and total beginners since most rebounds will end up being a few feet from the hoop, and the competition comes from players not being able to reliably sink free throws. I'm curious if this is a thing or just something my grade school hivemind popped out.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

BigLeafyTree posted:

I've also never heard of the moving backwards rule, I've always played it as you shoot from where you rebound it and if you're directly under the basket, tough :colbert:.

I think that rule was to speed up the game a bit since people would often wait for the ball to bounce/roll away from directly under the basket, or go a few extra inches if it was just in front of the three-point line.

• Locked thread