Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironman
Jun 19, 2001
If you see this text that means I'm not working.

nifty1 posted:

Thanks for the pick and roll tips. Sometimes when using picks in the past I think I wasn't getting close enough to the pick setter. Also in my experience most people aren't very good at rolling to the hoop and being open after setting a pick so I usually end up driving/shooting. I think when I start running it with a friend I can pass it off more. I'm going to try it tomorrow when I play.

I'm a 6'1 175 lbs athletic slashing type of player, I only play indoors so shoe durability is not an issue. My favorite shoe of all time is the Nike Zoom Kobe VI because it's super light weight(I think the lightest weight shoe Nike makes) and your feet feel really close to the ground for cutting and quickness. I'm on my 2nd pair, after maybe 8-9 months the sole started to get worn down. Before that I went through 3 pairs of the Nike Zoom BB 2 over a couple years which I liked for the same reasons but the Kobe VI is even lighter and lower to the ground.

It bothers me when I see my friends who could afford a nice pair of basketball shoes wearing some 5 years old worn down shoes that aren't even made for basketball. Nice shoes make a difference.

I agree that the Kobe's are really nice basketball shoes. They feel incredibly light weight compared to most basketball shoes and I never had a problem with my ankles in them, if you are like me and have a history of making bad landings.

I'd advise you stay away from most Jordan brand shoes (the pro player models excepting) for that reason, as well. They're heavy, and thick soled which gives a sort of walking-on-air feeling. I was out of any sort of exercise for a month when I turned my ankle in them.

edit: That probably doesn't seem like a lot of missed time, but it is nearing a year later, and I still have weakness in my right ankle. I definitely think having the right shoes helps to protect against ankle injuries.

Ironman fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironman
Jun 19, 2001
If you see this text that means I'm not working.
I agree that 6 inches may be too much to overcome with technique, but what you could try to do is work on your leg strength. I've found that since I started doing heavy back squats about 2 years ago I can move people around pretty easy by backing into them. It's the Barkley school of basketball, son.

• Locked thread