Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I only play indoors but I'm on my 2nd pair of Zoom Kobe VIs. I feel a lot more stable in them even though they are low tops because they are lower to the ground. It feels like your foot is on the floor instead of on a big bag of air that is itself on the floor. There's only the bottom to land on instead of getting stuck on a big side ledge or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I don't dominate the ball at all (catch and shoot or cut a lot, catch, and blow the layup) so that makes me super self conscious of missing a shot, which of course makes me miss more.

I'm trying to focus more on whether I took a good shot instead of if it was a make, but it's tough. Especially when the ball dominating guys who play get super pissed when you miss after they finally decide to pass on the 5th time down the court.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Fisticuffs posted:

Can you find guys to play with that aren't assholes? That would probably help a lot too.

Almost all of the regular group I play with are really great, but it only takes a few to set a bad tone. The level of play is pretty high (though not probably D1 gym pickup level) and I'm on average middle of the pack I think.

I'm sure there's some pop psych explanation for how my self critical comments/attitude invite the same criticisms from others, but I dunno. Maybe I just need to do the Steve Kerr thing and write gently caress It on my shoes.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Today was my first day back after rolling my ankle a week and a half ago. If I wasn't thinking about correcting it, I kept jumping mostly off of my good leg and missed all my shots. I got 2 blocks, but it still sucked.

How do the people you play with usually handle:
1. Shot attempt that misses everything - can the player who shot it be the first to touch it? (nba rules say yes, but we argue about this one every time).
2. Suppose there's a loose ball on the floor and two players are fighting for it. The one who gets control has both feet down on the floor and one knee down. Can the player stand up (without moving either foot) or is that a travel?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Do any of you play in KD5s or Soldier VIs?

I usually play in kobes (I really like the 8s), but after landing on someones foot and then coming back too fast from my sprain I just rolled my ankle again a few days ago and I'm thinking of picking up some high tops to effectively rehab in while my ankle gets stronger.

I really like how the kobes are low to the ground and fit like a sock. Is there a high top that feels that way? kicksoncourt seems to really like the kds and the soldiers.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I know I just posted about rolling my ankle, but that being said I love my Kobe 8s. I paid $140 for the python ones when they came out and they're worth that to me. They're like the 6s only incrementally better - sock like, light, low to the ground. I think Nike realized the chunky 7s were the wrong way to go.

I did just buy some hyperdunks for $60 at the Nike outlet to play in until my ankle gets stronger.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
We do 5 on 5 with a list of next (and anything other than first come first up, like team stacking, is frowned upon) and we'll sometimes play a half hearted zone if you end up matched against a team of all the tall strong guys. Zone in that case usually means crowd the paint and force a big guy to shoot, which sometimes works out.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
7 by 1s and 2s, winners stay forever, longest waiting are up next. We'll evenly match up the first 10 people.

We used to play 11, but the games sometimes took forever. I was a huge skeptic of going to 7, but it ends up working really well. Lots of competitive, short games because each bucket matters - not too much waiting when you lose.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So what's the key to blocking guys. I always feel like I've almost got it, but I never get it

Play with the same guys for about 5 years so you know all their moves and can anticipate them (i.e., the pickup equivalent of the scouting report)

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Deny them the post position they want in the first place. You're allowed a forearm into them. Get low and keep them off their spot. Then, if they do catch it, they're already farther out than they want to be. Stay low and into their body and immediately turn and box out when they shoot.

If they're huge and just want to drop their shoulder into you and bull you over, there's not much you can do beyond trying to grab the ball as you fall into a heap.

It helps if you have a decent team that can collapse and double off a non shooter who nevertheless camps the 3 point line.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm getting ready to move across the country and leave my regular pickup game behind and it makes me sad. We have a regular morning crew with a great mix of young and old, talented and not so talented, and we actually end up playing rather than arguing most of the time. Based on this thread, it's going to be tough to find something like this elsewhere. I'm sure there's pickup in downtown Seattle, I just have to go find it.

Derek Harper used to play at my gym occasionally. He couldn't shoot worth poo poo but would back everyone down with his enormous rear end and also finish every flailing layup in traffic. Terry and Greg Buckner came by sometimes, too, but I never saw them play (if they did at all).

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

cougar cub posted:

Is there a consensus best indoor ball? I'm looking at the Spalding official NBA ball but want to double-check I'm not missing a better choice before spending the money on it.

Edit - I can also find the MOLTEN GG COMPETITION locally for about half the price *shrug*. I am in Canada so selection can be... poor.

Wilson Evolution.

The official nba ball is nice, but it takes quite a while to break in and before it does it feels really odd.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Since I'm back in my home town but too sick to drop in on my old pickup game, a rules question instead.
Is stepping through after an up and under a travel? Ie, do you have to jump off of both feet?

For example, using your right foot as pivot you face up and shot fake. The defender bites so you pivot again on your right, stepping your left foot inside of the defender. If you then step through (by lifting your pivot and jumping off your left foot) is that a travel?

I think it is, but it probably doesn't matter because no one in pickup cares.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
The text of the rule seems pretty unambiguous. It just feels wrong to be allowed to jump one legged off of your non pivot (after having lifted your pivot).

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm over 30 and only 6' tall with no hops. My best post move is a fade away jumper off the glass. Where the hell do I start?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Regnevelc posted:

three point shot

e: I'm that rear end in a top hat that shoots all of the time but really shouldn't. Although when we play in the morning we had a team of 5 and my buddy yelled at me to shoot everytime I got the ball. So it WASN'T MY FAULT.

I'd go a cool 1-5 for 3/4ths of the game then do a random 8/10 or some poo poo. Basketball is weird and I haven't played it in awhile and now I want to.

I'm already a super solid mid range and out shooter, and I can make an entry pass and cut.

Last night was a bit rough though. Caught a kicked ball to the nose, got my own finger nail hit into my eye brow, and partially rolled my ankle. Nothing serious at all, just one of those nights. I still hit a bunch and had fun.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Intruder posted:

In addition to being the my bad and player coach guys, I'm also the guy who goes into heat check mode way too easily if I drain a few in a row

If you get a steal or a block you're allowed to (required to?) jack up an awful shot on the ensuing possession because you made it happen.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I love playing in kobes. For me it's less the ankle support and more that the soles are thinner, so you're lower to the ground. Some high tops have this big thick sole that make you feel like you're standing on a platform, and it seems like if you catch them the wrong way they actually make you more likely to roll.

I do think you also end up strengthening your ankles and stuff this way (along with squats/deads/etc).

I played in an open gym last night with a bunch of high school kids who were practicing alley oop dunks between games. I'm old and tired.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

iamsosmrt posted:

You good 3 point shooters, how consistent are you in practice? 3 pointers are generally my main offense (I'm short and unathletic) but I'd say in practice I'm probably around 60% on a good day. I see the guy posting about hitting 14 in a row though, which I've never done. I think i've gotten to around 10-12 a few times in my life but usually I'll hit maybe 3-6 in a row before a miss or two.

I feel like I hit the same percentage when covered in a game as I do while practicing. I can hit stretches of makes practicing, but I likely don't pay as much attention as in game. Too easy to over think while just shooting around.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

JRizzle posted:

I never thought I'd like lowtop basketball shoes, but I got some Kobe X lows and they are DOPE. The grip is so good and I haven't felt like I'm going to sprain my ankle once (knock on wood).

I'm playing in these now and I hurt my knee, but that's likely coincidence. I liked the Kobe 6s a lot more than anything that has come after. The 7s were ok. The 10s feel a bit more like a shoe and less like a sock which is what appealed to me about the 6s in the first place.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Doltos posted:

I really, really hate lowtops. Seems like it's so easy to roll your ankle in them.

My Kobe experience is the opposite, partly because the 6s had a thinner sole, so it felt like I was standing on the ground rather than on a big tall cushion with a side edge you can catch. I also feel like it helped me build up strength. It's obviously tough to be in any way scientific though.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

GrahamBLY posted:

Shoe talk: kobe 11s are the best shoe ever created. Try em on for size- I figure at my age if I roll my ankle I'm wrecked anyway, so bring on the comfy lows.

Tell me more. The 6s are my favorite shoe ever, but obviously long gone. They had that sock like fit and were low to the ground. I have some 10s and I hate them. Big pillowy cushion and I swear I shoot drastically worse in them.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Boosh! posted:

Long gone for you maybe. I still have a pair of these in the China colorway, and they're still in pretty great condition (since I hardly ball anymore and only busted them out for crucial rec league playoff games back then):

They really are fantastic ball kicks, probably my fave performance-wise.

I have 2 pair that haven't totally self destructed, but the cushioning is shot. I played in them last night and my knees hurt this morning. I think I ended up buying 4 or 5 pairs of these while they were out and those 2 are the only ones left.

I need to know what is most like them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

GrahamBLY posted:

Kobe 6s were awesome but yeah I can't pay collector prices for ball shoes.
10s are god awful. SO MUCH PLASTIC. It's just fuse on fuse, it's nasty and I have no idea how they are so expensive. Giant platform

11s are amazing.
KD8 are pretty good too
kobe venomenon 5 which is the most comfortable shoe i've ever worn.

Thanks for all of this. I'll give these a shot.

• Locked thread