Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Sweaty guy checking in. Who wants to guard me? :q:

I've actually been working on my shooting of late, mainly close to the basket but working on moving out some. It's pretty fun to see the improvement over time.

Two good sites I had recommended to me during a previous PickupChat were ihoops.com and nbaplaybook.com.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone here ever put themselves through drills?I never played formalized basketball and the last time I played 4 kids who played together in high school picked me up to fill out their team. After we ran a few games we started talking and I mentioned I never had anyone teach me fundamentals or the finer points of the game. I just taught myself everything on the fly as I was playing. They showed me two really great drills to improve yourself. One where you stand under the basket and alternate laying it up with each hand. The other they called either "Texas" or "Oklahoma". Basically you have 5 spots around the 3 point line, spaced equally. One on the baseline, one halfway up/around the 3 point line, and than one at the top middle of the 3 point line, behind the foul line. You do a layup, shoot a 3 and than step in and take a jump shot from each position, going around the 3 point line until you do it from every spot.

Anyone else have any little drills they could share to improve yourself?

I do one where I pick a hand, then start at one of the posts and shoot from that side, the center of the paint, then the other post with that same hand. I have to start over, but use the other hand, if I miss any of the shots. If I make all three, then I move to the next tick mark and do the same thing. Eventually, if the hoops gods are smiling on me, I'll wind up at the free throw line.

Kinda like that video stephelopholus posted, now that I watch it.

I'll also do things like pick an arbitrary chunk of time where I can only use one or the other hand for everything (dribbling, shooting, etc.), which helps considerably if you want to be the guy who can actually use both hands.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

While it's baseball rather than hoops, "Don't think, it'll only hurt the ballclub" is a dictum I try to play by.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Picturing one of those "What I think I look like when I hoop/What I actually look like".

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

That Courts of the World site has an iPhone app that finds courts all around you. It found 3-4 around me I didn't even know about. 99 cents, but pretty cool.

Obviously you can just use the website if you're not mobile balling.

Updating to add: I used this while I was out and about yesterday and found a nice court in a huge park, got a new place to ball. :cool:

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'll hold my right hand behind my back to work on my left hand skills. Sometimes I'll set arbitrary rules, like every shot I take right handed has to be matched with one taken left-handed.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The high-end gym by me actually has a really nice hoops setup. Full-size court, scoreboard, they'll even book refs for you if you're playing a league game, etc., but the downside is it's like $200/month for membership.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

This thread is right about pick and rolls, man. I played a pickup game last weekend and just started setting screens because I'm huge, then cutting to the rim and they acted like we were wizards. And not the Washington Wizards. They had no idea what to do.

Likewise I'm terrible at shooting so I was just passing a shitload and setting screens and hanging out grabbing rebounds and nobody had any idea what to do. Crazy poo poo.

Lest you think I'm tooting my own horn, we had a chick that plays for one of the local colleges come in and play with us and we all learned what it was like to be a Washington General. She did us the courtesy of not whistling Sweet Georgia Brown but she would've had every right to.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 14, 2013

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Ran some full court five on five today and kind of wanted to die. I didn't know full court was a thing, don't think I've played that ever. Fun as hell, though, even if I'm not conditioned for it.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah it was pretty much "Who gets tired from doing wind sprints up and down the court first?"

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'm in my 30s so I'm basically planning to destroy a knee sometime soon. Already had some bursitis but we've got that solved for now. Anyway the day you turn 30 they should hand you the number for the best sports medicine doc in your area.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, I only play with the older dudes. When the court's full of teenagers and 20 year olds, I go work on my shooting or dribbling on the other court because while I am resigned to eventually blowing out a knee, I'd rather not walk right into it like that.

Of course, like a real antique I avoid them because I tend to be looking to run game at like 8am on Saturdays and they're still in bed. :corsair:

Still, hoops is kinder to me than BJJ was. Tried that for a little bit and hosed up my shoulder so bad it took 6 months of rehab.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

My knee problems aren't so much joint related as my leg muscles and ligaments being tight and screwing up my stride. The bike helps but what really helps are yoga stretches. There's a couple good routines I do to get loose and you can probably find one you like by searching something like "Yoga for athletes." If you're having knee pain that's probably a good place to start.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I am acutely conscious that my shooting form looks like a sperg falling down a flight of stairs with all the limb flailing.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I too remember the days I could worry about fashion on the basketball court instead of "not drowning in my own sweat" which is the reason many of us dorks rock such terrible accessories.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Is there a guy who mainly plays defense while an endless river of foul-mouthed bizarre poo poo talking spews from his maw? Because that's me.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

My entire utility as a player is being huge enough to set picks and doing it constantly and on a pickup court it's akin to basketball wizardry until you get guys who know how to deal with it but with the usual jack up shots erryday crew, you can totally clown em.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Go retro and get your Ickey Shuffle on. Even a goon should be able to manage that.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The Wilson Evolution is the gold standard afaik unless you want to jump up to the NBA Official Game Ball, but I hear that one has a break-in time.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah I barely shoot and am working on my layup so it's still a work in progress but people have been pretty cool about it. But the gym crew seems pretty cool. Since we have two full courts, it's easy for the serious guys to hook up with other serious guys and the rest of us scrubs can gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Pick and rolls can be like cheating in a casual kind of game, definitely work on those if it's people that have never played in an organized way before. Setting screens, passing, extremely basic stuff nobody does. Maybe work on some very simple plays.

• Locked thread