Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Verman posted:

Went riding yesterday with a few strangers from thumper talk. What was supposed to be some casual Forest road riding and exploring of an area quickly turned into technical Pacific Northwest alpine single track. It was mostly all good though as it was fun but challenging as we were trying to reach

Where is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I just got a screamin deal on a plated XR650R so I'm hunting down two 17" hoops to lace to an extra set of hubs. In my journey I found some company from Michigan that is offloading 7 sets of oldish, but legit Warp 9 690 Enduro R supermoto wheels for absolute bargain basement prices at $250 a wheel.

Front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Dirt-Bike-Wheel-3-5-x-17-Warp-9/202688506498

Rear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warp-9-Racing-Wheel-Assembly-Rear-SM-4-25-x-17/202687516559

The listings are awful, but all I had to do was google the Warp 9 part number on the rotors to figure out they were KTM wheels. The supermoto thread is archived so I figured I'd post em up here just in case.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yerok posted:

I just got a screamin deal on a plated XR650R so I'm hunting down two 17" hoops to lace to an extra set of hubs. In my journey I found some company from Michigan that is offloading 7 sets of oldish, but legit Warp 9 690 Enduro R supermoto wheels for absolute bargain basement prices at $250 a wheel.

Front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Dirt-Bike-Wheel-3-5-x-17-Warp-9/202688506498

Rear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warp-9-Racing-Wheel-Assembly-Rear-SM-4-25-x-17/202687516559

The listings are awful, but all I had to do was google the Warp 9 part number on the rotors to figure out they were KTM wheels. The supermoto thread is archived so I figured I'd post em up here just in case.

wish i knew what those hubs were-- would be hilarious to re-gear my XCW300 and take it for a street ride. screamin deal for some sumo wheels though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Elviscat posted:

Where is this?

Just south of Easton (Washington) power lines

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Razzled posted:

wish i knew what those hubs were-- would be hilarious to re-gear my XCW300 and take it for a street ride. screamin deal for some sumo wheels though

Based on my internet sleuthing they are 08-14 690 Enduro E/R hubs, this is what I got from looking up the rotor part number:

Part # A89-413:Front (320mm front floating)All ’08-’14 690E/R Enduro

Whether or not the rotor/sprocket is in the same plane on the 690 and the XCW300 is probably a question you could ask Warp 9. I know some of their wheels use the same hub between bikes with the rotor/sprockets in the same plane but a spacer on the wheel bearing ID to accommodate a smaller axle. So even if your axle is smaller if you're good on rotors/sprocket alignment then you're only like $50 in spacers or alternatively picking out bearings from the VXB catalog away from losing your license.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yerok posted:

Based on my internet sleuthing they are 08-14 690 Enduro E/R hubs, this is what I got from looking up the rotor part number:

Part # A89-413:Front (320mm front floating)All ’08-’14 690E/R Enduro

Whether or not the rotor/sprocket is in the same plane on the 690 and the XCW300 is probably a question you could ask Warp 9. I know some of their wheels use the same hub between bikes with the rotor/sprockets in the same plane but a spacer on the wheel bearing ID to accommodate a smaller axle. So even if your axle is smaller if you're good on rotors/sprocket alignment then you're only like $50 in spacers or alternatively picking out bearings from the VXB catalog away from losing your license.

I had a surprisingly tough time looking this up when I got my second set of wheels, but fast as I can tell KTM/Husqvarna use the same sizes/spacing pretty consistently, and then throw axle spacers, which should be swappable to make up any difference, I had to find some spacers (leftover from my Givi luggage install, lol) to shim my calipers out going from wheels designed for an XCW to an FE, you can look up the prt numbers in the OEM 'fiche to see if the hubs are the same at least.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Verman posted:

Just south of Easton (Washington) power lines

Sweet, this state has si much awesome riding, sometimes I feel like dumping all my other hobbies/girlfriend and just riding someplace new each weekend.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I had a surprisingly tough time looking this up when I got my second set of wheels, but fast as I can tell KTM/Husqvarna use the same sizes/spacing pretty consistently, and then throw axle spacers, which should be swappable to make up any difference, I had to find some spacers (leftover from my Givi luggage install, lol) to shim my calipers out going from wheels designed for an XCW to an FE, you can look up the prt numbers in the OEM 'fiche to see if the hubs are the same at least.

I briefly considered calling them up and asking if they'd send me at least the side view drawings so I could see how much loving around I'd have to do before I spend any money but I'm sure the answer would be no

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Effortpost trip report:

Perfect riding day around an area called the Devil's Punchbowl yesterday. About 120km total with everything from deep sand to rocky riverbeds and chalky hillclimbs. I was on my XR650r and a friend on his 2007 KTM 990 adventure. The weather was a cool and clear 19°, a pleasant change from the slow roast the UK has been subject to all summer.

I've always been disdainful of KTM bikes based on design philosophy and a lifetime on Japanese. Riding his blew me away and reversed my perspective. It is very capable and leagues different from the Tiger 800, and extremely comfortable. There was no terrain I felt it was unsuited to, with the possible exception of very rocky declines where the added weight made it more challenging.

The XR was of course more capable and agile, and needed much less input on difficult terrain, but I found that the KTM was more enjoyable at times because it needed me to be more active to ride competently. I don't think Greenlanes in the U.K. will ever be enough to test a true dirt bike but adventure models are definitely in the fun zone of the experience/enjoyment curve.

The deep sand was a definite challenge for my 15,000km 705s but they did well for a last outing. They only let me down once in a grassy rut at low speed, but those are an old nemesis of mine.

Echo Chamber xpost: There were a few guys out on 150/350 plated dirt bikes who stopped for a chat who universally had, of course, a GS as their "proper bike." When we told them our route they said our bikes were much too heavy and would never make it up the next hillclimb, or get stuck in the next sand bunker. I've encountered this type of thinking before at my local shop; the mechanic said the XR was too big and unwieldy for UK lanes, but similarly that doing them on a 150 was boring.
We had brilliant fun of course and never got stuck, or were even really struggling, it's just disappointing that haters will always try and stop you having fun or giving it a go because they themselves incapable/scared, even in a chummy endeavour like motorcycling.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I find your impression of the 990 vs the tiger interesting was it just a matter of lower CoG or something else?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
That helped, but also the clutch seemed a lot lighter and easier to feather on tricky bits. The power is a lot more tractorable at low revs; the Triumph wants to stall unless you rev the poo poo out of it.

Also there seems to be a lot more sensible dirt orientated engineering on the KTM, like the footpegs are easily replaceable as opposed to a convoluted expensive array that requires minor dismantling to get to. Anecdotally the gear lever on the Triumph is £150 to replace.
I also like the way you can adjust the suspension on the KTM front and back by twiddling a few dials on the outside.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

That helped, but also the clutch seemed a lot lighter and easier to feather on tricky bits. The power is a lot more tractorable at low revs; the Triumph wants to stall unless you rev the poo poo out of it.

Also there seems to be a lot more sensible dirt orientated engineering on the KTM, like the footpegs are easily replaceable as opposed to a convoluted expensive array that requires minor dismantling to get to. Anecdotally the gear lever on the Triumph is £150 to replace.
I also like the way you can adjust the suspension on the KTM front and back by twiddling a few dials on the outside.

:henget:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 4, 2020

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Shelvocke posted:

Effortpost trip report:
Perfect riding day around an area called the Devil's Punchbowl yesterday. About 120km total with everything from deep sand to rocky riverbeds and chalky hillclimbs. I was on my XR650r and a friend on his 2007 KTM 990 adventure. The weather was a cool and clear 19°, a pleasant change from the slow roast the UK has been subject to all summer.
Is that the Devil's Punch Bowl in Surrey? I've spent a couple of months on a WR125X now and I'm looking for some light offroad that may be doable on a sumo when the weather dries out a bit. That looks like a pretty good candidate. Is it just a case of checking the definitive maps on the council website then getting exploring?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
A WR will definitely get around the punchbowl but there are some sections of deep sand and actual riverbeds you might struggle with on anything more road orientated than shinko 705s. My XR was fine but it has a lot more hp/torque to play with. On a wet day you simply might not be able to do the hill climbs.

I recommend getting the Viewranger app, it has loads of user submitted legal greenlaning routes and navigates for you on the ride. Otherwise any route which is a Byway or public highway on an OS map is fine to ride on, just be respectful of pedestrians and turn your engine off for horses.

Otherwise have fun! It's a great area to play in, and even on a cold day there's enough locals to help dig you out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Seeing as there hasn't been much traffic in here lately, I have been working on my bike a lot the last few weeks. I replaced the fork oil, bushings and seals which has them feeling like new. I replaced the linkage bearings and seals, rear shock seals and bearings. I've added full wraparound handguards. Greased my front wheel bearings, replaced my rears. Replaced my ripped seat cover. So I finally got out and rode it. It was hot here in Washington this weekend, around 80 when we unloaded around 11am.

It was great riding aside from me burning through a coolant overflow hose that I forgot to route correctly after removing my exhaust. On our way back to the truck, we took a downhill single track trail thats about 2 miles long. We were about a half mile in and I stalled my bike. Went to start it and my electric start stopped working. I could hear the solenoid clicking but the starter wouldn't turn and my computer would turn off and on when I would hit the start button. No big deal, I'll just kick it over. 15 minutes later, its still not starting. At this point, 1/2 mile uphill to the nearest road was going to be brutal. We didn't know how the rest of this trail went but we knew it went mostly downhill back to the truck. I decided to coast it down, and we would push/tow when we could. We were in a section of really tight switchbacks which didn't allow me to gain much speed for a bump start. I come out of a corner and see a few yards of straight so I roll through the corner and bump start it. It bursts to life and I ride out as smooth as I can to keep it running. It was a fun day, just really hot and exhausting. I'm very happy I didn't end up having to walk my bike out. It would have taken forever.

Now I'm going to diagnose my starter, see if its repairable or just order a new one, or if the problem is even the starter at all. Dirtbikes; ride, repair and repeat.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Walker just opened up that weekend right? Was it busy?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah it just opened up on the 5th. Trails were in good shape. I had never been out to Walker before so it was fun even though I stuck to the easier trails out there just to get my feet wet. We went on Sunday so I'm not sure if it was the heat or mother's day but it wasn't very busy. We saw people on the roads but rarely saw anybody in the trails. Having ridden tahuya, reiter, Evans creek, etc, it was definitely more rocky and rooty with lots of elevation gain. I've only heard how insane most of the trails are there so I was cautious in blindly exploring.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Figure 8 practice

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is CA like 50% PNW posters at this point?

Elviscat posted:

Hi CA, been awhile.

Check out the blown rear tube, 35 miles into a 70 mile trip, smashed some pointy rocks and heard it pop, at 12 PSI, apparently Starcross5's are notorious for this because of their soft carcass, have a new tire on order and a Tubliss.

Made it about 5 miles back on forestry roads before we ran into DNR, and he offered to throw it in the bed of his truck, so I rode 20+ miles literally holding my bike in the back of an F-150.

Ride was slicker than poo poo, clay and mud in Capitol Forest, trails are so overgrown that we had to go helmet down to smash through miles of Salmonberry and inch-thick Devil's Club, one of the most physically demanding rides I've been on, 10/10 would do again.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Is CA like 50% PNW posters at this point?

I wish I was back home :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm always surprised more people aren't posting in here seeing as how many people are posting in the other moto related threads.

A few weeks back during Memorial day, I went up to Cle Elum to ride and camp which was great. Lots of remote camping away from the campgrounds etc, places where you can ride right out of camp which was great.

Enchantments from across the highway

Got a flat the second day. Stump made a perfect stand. Tried to repair it and all of my patches (stick on type) were dried out and useless. Being a holiday weekend, nobody nearby was open so my riding was done. I bought all new patches (traditional with rubber cement) and will bring spare tubes with me from now on.

I decided to replace my tires and try something new. The tires were from before I bought the bike three years ago (date codes were 2015/16). The rear was rounded off, chunking knobs, and the inner sidewall was wearing into the tubes. Based on a lot of recommendations, I replaced my front Kenda Washougal II in 100/100 with a GoldenTyre 216 in 90/90 and replaced my rear MotoZ tractionator Enduro I/T in 120/90 with a Tusk Recon Hybrid in 110/100. I haven't been able to get out and ride yet so I'm eager to see how they do. I also went with thicker tubes to hopefully prevent pinch flats. Holy poo poo do new tires go on so much easier than old hard tires.

Apologies for the lack of riding photos. I tend to be the photo taker between myself and my riding partner.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

right arm posted:

I wish I was back home :(

Oh poo poo, did you have to move for some reason?

I had to move away for like a decade, never again.

Verman posted:

I'm always surprised more people aren't posting in here seeing as how many people are posting in the other moto related threads.

A few weeks back during Memorial day, I went up to Cle Elum to ride and camp which was great. Lots of remote camping away from the campgrounds etc, places where you can ride right out of camp which was great.

Enchantments from across the highway

Got a flat the second day. Stump made a perfect stand. Tried to repair it and all of my patches (stick on type) were dried out and useless. Being a holiday weekend, nobody nearby was open so my riding was done. I bought all new patches (traditional with rubber cement) and will bring spare tubes with me from now on.

I decided to replace my tires and try something new. The tires were from before I bought the bike three years ago (date codes were 2015/16). The rear was rounded off, chunking knobs, and the inner sidewall was wearing into the tubes. Based on a lot of recommendations, I replaced my front Kenda Washougal II in 100/100 with a GoldenTyre 216 in 90/90 and replaced my rear MotoZ tractionator Enduro I/T in 120/90 with a Tusk Recon Hybrid in 110/100. I haven't been able to get out and ride yet so I'm eager to see how they do. I also went with thicker tubes to hopefully prevent pinch flats. Holy poo poo do new tires go on so much easier than old hard tires.

Apologies for the lack of riding photos. I tend to be the photo taker between myself and my riding partner.

Oh poo poo, is that Taneum? That was originally where we were slated to go last weekend, but we went to Capitol instead because it's closer and the weather cleared up.

My weekend at Capitol really has me lusting after more difficult adventure trails, unfortunately my main adventure riding buddy has his kids, so his availability is poor, and my other riding buddies are my roommates, which is cool, but they're new, and the wife is pretty short, and just isn't able to deal with tough terrain yet :( .

Speaking of, I bought my FE250 last year, at the time my most expensive bike ever, so I wouldn't have to put up with working on finicky, PO hosed shitboxes and carbs etc.

So my roomates got into it, and keep buying finicky shitboxes, that I end up repairing. Most recent acquisition is a $1400 2000 YZ125, they keep looking for lighter, more maneuverable bikes for the wife.

Go to look at it, won't kick over at all, plastics pulled off, this lady had bought it for her BF for their anniversary, he wanted a street bike instead, she had her platonic male friend "change the oil" which somehow meant taking the whole loving thing apart, and not putting it back together. So they passed initially, then a few days later decided it was too good a deal to pass up, and I said (drunkenly) that I could probably make it run good so they brought it home.

Spent an entire Saturday unfucking it, the pressure plate nut had been brapped on so tight it wouldn't release, all air intake parts had been disconnected, or not retightened, idle was hamfucked to kinda run in this configuration, I spent an entire day fixing this POS (mostly instructing my roomate how to do it since it's her bike, she can rebuild a clutch in like literally 10 minutes now) got it running good, I go shower for dinner with my fam, get changed and walk outside, my roomate's who had been riding around the property present me with this.

So I got to take the whole fuckin side cover off and replace that, shredding my fingers in the process.

At least it works good now.

(Also pictured, shagged out '05 250F I helped unshag, owned by a teenager who just ran it up and down the street, tires looked hilarious when we got it)

We took 3" of foam outta the seat, for short people reasons

God I wish they'd just buy newish decent running trail bikes instead, they have a '17 TTR in good shape, but it's too heavy for the wife to pick up if she drops it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Oh poo poo, is that Taneum?

We were just a little bit north and west of Taneum but in that general area. Since all of the official campgrounds were closed, we had to find dispersed sites which were pretty easy to find. We were far enough away from people that we didn't hear anybody while in camp at night. I had heard the area was pretty insane once you got off the forest roads and quad trails. My buddy and I are still pretty novice riders so deadly exposure and extremely difficult trails are still beyond our comfort level for the time being. We just explored the area and used some of the big open areas to practice enduro skills like wheelies, log hops etc. It was great. I feel like I never get enough time to actually practice.

Elviscat posted:

Friends buying poo poo bikes
Yeah, I feel like this is really common with dirtbikes, quads and most other types of recreational vehicles. Too many people want to use them and have fun but nobody wants to take the time or money to maintain them. In the same way, a lot of people can't justify the price of a new machine that is intended to get dirty and dropped. I have a hard time convincing myself to buy a new bike when the time comes but after the money I have sunk into my first bike (a used 07 wr250) bringing it up to snuff, I definitely see the value in an unmolested machine with zero hours on it. The crazy part is the used market, especially in the PNW is insane right now. People are asking $2k for anything with an engine now. Bikes that are typically $500 scrap bikes are selling for $2-3k. I dont understand it but people are still buying them up.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I'm seeing YZs from the early 2000s, don't run well, no title for $2000, the local dealers are almost sold out of their entire stock of 2020's, and there's almost no 2019's still in stock, this time last year there were 100s of 2018 Huskies and KTMs still on the market for $1000-2000 off.

It must be people looking for new outdoor entertainment venues amid the COVID shutdowns, plus local techies can mostly WFH so they still have money.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

yeah, work :(

I always talked about how oregon and the PNW was the greatest region / state in the US and never lived outside it til now. after living outside of it (nashville / ATL) for the past 9mo I am convinced I am a genius

like it blows my mind I have to ride like 80mi for okay OHV trails when I could ride under a half hour from my place in downtown PDX and be in endless, beautiful public land

I look forward to my return every day :D

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Oh poo poo, is that Taneum? That was originally where we were slated to go last weekend, but we went to Capitol instead because it's closer and the weather cleared up.

My weekend at Capitol really has me lusting after more difficult adventure trails, unfortunately my main adventure riding buddy has his kids, so his availability is poor, and my other riding buddies are my roommates, which is cool, but they're new, and the wife is pretty short, and just isn't able to deal with tough terrain yet :( .

Speaking of, I bought my FE250 last year, at the time my most expensive bike ever, so I wouldn't have to put up with working on finicky, PO hosed shitboxes and carbs etc.

So my roomates got into it, and keep buying finicky shitboxes, that I end up repairing. Most recent acquisition is a $1400 2000 YZ125, they keep looking for lighter, more maneuverable bikes for the wife.

Go to look at it, won't kick over at all, plastics pulled off, this lady had bought it for her BF for their anniversary, he wanted a street bike instead, she had her platonic male friend "change the oil" which somehow meant taking the whole loving thing apart, and not putting it back together. So they passed initially, then a few days later decided it was too good a deal to pass up, and I said (drunkenly) that I could probably make it run good so they brought it home.

Spent an entire Saturday unfucking it, the pressure plate nut had been brapped on so tight it wouldn't release, all air intake parts had been disconnected, or not retightened, idle was hamfucked to kinda run in this configuration, I spent an entire day fixing this POS (mostly instructing my roomate how to do it since it's her bike, she can rebuild a clutch in like literally 10 minutes now) got it running good, I go shower for dinner with my fam, get changed and walk outside, my roomate's who had been riding around the property present me with this.

So I got to take the whole fuckin side cover off and replace that, shredding my fingers in the process.

At least it works good now.

(Also pictured, shagged out '05 250F I helped unshag, owned by a teenager who just ran it up and down the street, tires looked hilarious when we got it)

We took 3" of foam outta the seat, for short people reasons

God I wish they'd just buy newish decent running trail bikes instead, they have a '17 TTR in good shape, but it's too heavy for the wife to pick up if she drops it.

TTR225? The 125 is super light and I love it (I also love the 225). Beta 125 4t is cheap for a new bike but that’s also expensive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah the 230, the weight doesn't bother me, but I guess it does for smaller lighter people.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah the 230, the weight doesn't bother me, but I guess it does for smaller lighter people.

I think the 125 is probably the most beginner friendly bike I've ever seen. It's also still super fun for me to ride although the poor suspension... Under 200lbs wet weight, friendly motor, basically impossible to kill no matter what you do to it, but will still wheelie if you want it to.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Sort of like an xr100 also, 172 lbs, infinite aftermarket, fun for everyone

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Whatup goons, I bought a dual sport about a month and a half ago and have been riding here and there, just thought to see if there was a thread about it.

I bought a 07 kxl250s and have been pretty stoked on it for the price. I've mostly been riding forest roads and abandoned double/single track out in the Gifford Pinchot (I'm based in PDX) but haven't taken it to an OHV area yet. I spend a lot of time on a mtb so its been mostly taking it easy and getting used to the weight and momentum of the bike compared to what I'm used to but I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to exploring more places with it.

Seems like we got a PNW goons in the area, whats the spot outside of Portland mentioned below? I've heard there's some gravel roads past the top of rocky point rd but haven't made it out there yet to take a look. I know of Brown's Camp and go out to Jordan Creek to kayak a couple times a year, any recommendations on where to start?

Funny to see the photos from Cle Elum, I was up near Salmon La Sac the other weekend to kayak and was kicking myself for not figuring out how to get my bike up there with me, even driving some of the forest roads out past Cooper Lake looking for camp spots was rad, it would be sweet to get back in there on a bike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Most of the shorter folks and ladies I see on the trails around Washington are usually riding crf or ttr 125/230s or older XR 100-200s. Sometimes you see someone on a cr/yz 80. Rarely you'll see a Suzuki or Kawasaki of similar sort. I feel like I see more crfs though.

I always thought there was a big market for more capable bikes for smaller riders. The gap from kids bikes to adult bikes was pretty wide for a while and the in-between were usually dulled down heavy trail bikes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’d love to get into trail riding but it’s supremely difficult to get anyone to answer any questions about the state of trail riding in Southern Ontario. There’s OFTR.ca which is a catch basin for membership in various trail riding clubs in Ontario but no one is replying to my emails.

It’s really hard to find info about trail availability in my immediate area — if the closest thing I can expect to ride is like two hours away then I’m not really inclined to look into this any further. Luckily there’s a club about an hour north of me but they’re also not replying to emails :saddowns:

More to the point, not seeing any newbie resources in my area. Would love to find some kind of trail riding intro class or school but in its absence I guess I’ll have to do it the old fashioned way and just YouTube things and beg people for free advice. Kind of a chicken/egg thing — without being able to take some kind of intro course to feel out whether it may be something I want to do, it’s a pretty tall investment in something I may not like. But can’t figure that out unless I have the bike and equipment in this scenario I guess.

Guess I’ll just keep plugging away trying to bother local resources for info. My next stop is probably dealerships since they sell off-road bikes for people to, presumably, use off-road.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

I’d love to get into trail riding but it’s supremely difficult to get anyone to answer any questions about the state of trail riding in Southern Ontario. There’s OFTR.ca which is a catch basin for membership in various trail riding clubs in Ontario but no one is replying to my emails.

It’s really hard to find info about trail availability in my immediate area — if the closest thing I can expect to ride is like two hours away then I’m not really inclined to look into this any further. Luckily there’s a club about an hour north of me but they’re also not replying to emails :saddowns:

More to the point, not seeing any newbie resources in my area. Would love to find some kind of trail riding intro class or school but in its absence I guess I’ll have to do it the old fashioned way and just YouTube things and beg people for free advice. Kind of a chicken/egg thing — without being able to take some kind of intro course to feel out whether it may be something I want to do, it’s a pretty tall investment in something I may not like. But can’t figure that out unless I have the bike and equipment in this scenario I guess.

Guess I’ll just keep plugging away trying to bother local resources for info. My next stop is probably dealerships since they sell off-road bikes for people to, presumably, use off-road.

Nothing on here? https://advrider.com/f/forums/canada.30/ I think traction erag is also out of Canada although maybe BC. I’d personally just email them though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Never thought to check adv, thanks! My quest to email continues :q:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
A buddy got to ride with the KTM/Red Bull/TLD team during a closed track practice session over the weekend and didn't invite me :cry:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:sever:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hi thread. I just bought a 20 yr old KTM 250 EXC for way too much money for my 16-yr old and me, of course to hoon around on somewhat regular Jeep/camping trips in the Pacific Northwest.
After riding it around for a couple hours at Juniper Dunes OHV on two separate days, I realized that it was probably too much bike for him - he's a complete noob to motorized 2-wheelers. Also he's short at 5'1" and kickstarting it is kinda hard for me at 5'6". So when I was :420: last night, I ordered a Chinese DB17 bike off Amazon. I figure two bikes are better than one? I think I'll end up shaving the seat on both bikes to lower them more. Being short sucks.
Anyways, I really like riding the KTM but most of the trails at Juniper sucked due to soft/deep sand everywhere.

We typically go 4-wheeling at Athanum/Naches/Manastash or the Blue Mountains near Walla Walla/Dayton. Looks like most PNW goons are on the West side?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hi thread. I just bought a 20 yr old KTM 250 EXC for way too much money for my 16-yr old and me, of course to hoon around on somewhat regular Jeep/camping trips in the Pacific Northwest.
After riding it around for a couple hours at Juniper Dunes OHV on two separate days, I realized that it was probably too much bike for him - he's a complete noob to motorized 2-wheelers. Also he's short at 5'1" and kickstarting it is kinda hard for me at 5'6". So when I was :420: last night, I ordered a Chinese DB17 bike off Amazon. I figure two bikes are better than one? I think I'll end up shaving the seat on both bikes to lower them more. Being short sucks.
Anyways, I really like riding the KTM but most of the trails at Juniper sucked due to soft/deep sand everywhere.

We typically go 4-wheeling at Athanum/Naches/Manastash or the Blue Mountains near Walla Walla/Dayton. Looks like most PNW goons are on the West side?

TTR125 is a great bike (which you can see I've recommended a bunch of times for folks who are learning).

And yes, two bikes are definitely better than one but not as good as three. You might also look into lowering links or similar for the KTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

EXCs do not have linkage so you'd need to look at a shock collar (which will only get you an inch or so) or into having a professional do the suspension for you

he's definitely not going to grow into it if you're 5'6" so I'd definitely lean towards having a pro lower it for the both of you