Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I just got a FE501 (not S). The rear light has leads for run and brake lighting, but has no control for it in the harness. I added the OEM switch to the front brake mastercylinder and wired that to the 'extra' wire on the brake light (powered from the little headlight lamp). I just passed my street legal inspection, but can't get a loving plate until the state mails the title.

I feel you on sicass delays, it's tedious sourcing things piecemeal; I went with a cyclops LED bulb, customLED.com blinker relay, tusk controls, and did the wiring myself (Deustch connectors + crimping tool make life so much easier)

I'm curious what you find with the forks. I only have a single ride so far so too early to complain. I'd consider getting springs before any valving upgrades; body weight, terrain, and skill level will dictate your ideal spring rate. You can check stock vs the ideal on racetech's website. Also, any used upgrade will have a spring rate for the previous owner and unlikely to suit you.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gullous posted:

I just got a FE501 (not S). The rear light has leads for run and brake lighting, but has no control for it in the harness. I added the OEM switch to the front brake mastercylinder and wired that to the 'extra' wire on the brake light (powered from the little headlight lamp). I just passed my street legal inspection, but can't get a loving plate until the state mails the title.

I feel you on sicass delays, it's tedious sourcing things piecemeal; I went with a cyclops LED bulb, customLED.com blinker relay, tusk controls, and did the wiring myself (Deustch connectors + crimping tool make life so much easier)

I'm curious what you find with the forks. I only have a single ride so far so too early to complain. I'd consider getting springs before any valving upgrades; body weight, terrain, and skill level will dictate your ideal spring rate. You can check stock vs the ideal on racetech's website. Also, any used upgrade will have a spring rate for the previous owner and unlikely to suit you.

this could be us but you playin' games

(non s on the left)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Razzled posted:

that's true, i'll play with the adjusters and see what i can get out of it stock.

spent all day today installing rad braces and wrestling with the rear fender trying to see what i can do with it. i'm slightly perplexed that the fe501s has TWO rear brake lights, and the one that has the license plate light is not the one that fits on the minimalized version of the fender.

i thought these looked neat though so I ordered one: https://www.enduroplate.com/

will figure the rest of the lights out after I get that in, and this all because sicassracing is like 8 months late on their 2020 fender elim kit

Yeah, that two rear brake light thing made replacing the giant, poorly engineered USDM dong hanging out the back of my FE250 a nice punch in the wallet.

The original one literally got sucked into my rear tire while riding whoops, and poo poo my license plate somewhere of in the forest, never to be seen again.

Pretty sure the two designs is because USDOT regulations are dumb.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, that two rear brake light thing made replacing the giant, poorly engineered USDM dong hanging out the back of my FE250 a nice punch in the wallet.

The original one literally got sucked into my rear tire while riding whoops, and poo poo my license plate somewhere of in the forest, never to be seen again.

Pretty sure the two designs is because USDOT regulations are dumb.

yeah enough people have warned me about the fender getting ripped out along with your wiring that i don't want to deal with it on the trail so i'm dealing with it now

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ride dirt bikes, try not to die of heat stroke kinda day in the PNW.

Lots of downed trees from the recent windstorms.

I keep forgetting to swap my 49 tooth rear sprocket for my 50 tooth, the powerband with the 49 is godawful for trail riding.

Also need to put the new tire on the front, tubliss and new 120 section tire on the rear, with a tubed, cooked front makes the front want to scrub constantly in low-traction environments.

X-post of my Euro install from the other thread:

Elviscat posted:

I put my Euro tail on finally.

Old and busted

You might wonder why it's disassembled so far, it's because the drunk Austrians that banged my bike together in their shed smashed the brake light wiring in between the upper and lower subframe, and I couldn't extract it.

Anyways, looks pretty good, I'm sad I'll have to bodge the license plate back on if I want to take it on the road again, for now I think I'll keep the plate in my backpack when I'm trail riding.

I need new turn signals too, there's no way to get the old ones on without looking stupid, and they're poo poo anyway, the lenses aren't gasketed, so mud flows in and coats the lens from the inside.

I was thinking either flush-mounts up near the brake light or a setup like this:

Thoughts?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 11, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

where’s that at? also just in case you wanna be a hero and also die of heatstroke from chopping trees, they make number plate mounts for stihls lol

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Elviscat posted:

Ride dirt bikes, try not to die of heat stroke kinda day in the PNW.

Lots of downed trees from the recent windstorms.

I keep forgetting to swap my 49 tooth rear sprocket for my 50 tooth, the powerband with the 49 is godawful for trail riding.

Also need to put the new tire on the front, tubliss and new 120 section tire on the rear, with a tubed, cooked front makes the front want to scrub constantly in low-traction environments.

X-post of my Euro install from the other thread:

Where do you ride? I can't keep track between here and thumper talk who rides where. I'm in Seattle fwiw.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's Tahuya, I've looked at those chainsaw mounts (obv I would have to mount a Husqvarna to my Husqvarna) but, eh.

I'll probably.get a nice folding Silky saw here soon I can throw in my Camelpack, some of the trees were unavoidable and unmovable today, fortunately I was out with someone, so we could lift the bikes or trees as applicable. Cracked my helmet on one at a good 10mph that I thought I could duck, also got horse-collared by a couple branches.

Quad and Dirt Bike clubs aren't really meeting much this year, so trail maintenance in general is pretty bad, the closing of all the State Parks during the spring means everything's overgrown with Devils Club and other bushes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Verman posted:

Where do you ride? I can't keep track between here and thumper talk who rides where. I'm in Seattle fwiw.

Tahuya, didn't we go out together once?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Tahuya, didn't we go out together once?

I don't think so...? Maybe. I've only been out riding with new folks twice, both off thumper talk.

Tahuya is fun. God I haven't ridden in a while. I don't think I've been there in more than a year. I need more riding friends.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Do you have the 701? I'm likely wrong, since I have the memory of a goldfish.

Anyway PM me if you want to ride some time, I'm 30 minutes from Tahuya, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons are my freest times on the weekends.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Do you have the 701? I'm likely wrong, since I have the memory of a goldfish.

Anyway PM me if you want to ride some time, I'm 30 minutes from Tahuya, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons are my freest times on the weekends.

Wr250f. Sounds good and same. Weekends unfortunately are easiest for me.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Elviscat posted:

I'll probably.get a nice folding Silky saw here soon I can throw in my Camelpack

Yeah, I bring one (this one i think) when I do roads I've not yet ridden the current season. Since I'm not afraid of mud and small snow drifts there's been some times I'm the first guy there after winter.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Got some motocross boots and put some d606s on the bike. It's insane how much more confidence that gave me, first ride was terrifying, now Im starting to enjoy it.

And by that i mean that was probably the most fun i've had on a motorcycle.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 19, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Have ridden dort a lot recently, the xr is behaving great after a few post-rebuild teething issues

It rained a lot yesterday and some of today which completely changed the experience on some of my local lanes. The worst is clay; I had my first off for the whole year and 3 in total, the last spraining my wrist.

I'm running Michelin trackers at around 16 psi, which are good in deep mud but no good at all in slime/wet clay and pretty poor on gravel. On the roads where there's loose stones they're so unsteady it feels like I have a flat.

I'm thinking of getting some motoz Rallz next, which will hopefully be better on loose dirt, gravel and more puncture resistant on the chalk/flint hills.. and I'll just stay away from all the clay to the east.

Dirt biking is fun

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So I'm looking at buying a new Kawi KLX 140R (the L version) which has an MSRP of $3,449. The local dealer quoted me $5,300 OTD which seems lol excessive.
I can understand licensing and tax, but this dealer wants $200 for a licensing fee, $400 destination charge, $300 assembly fee, $500 for some GPS locator they seem hesitant to take off.
Is this normal?

Problem is that hardly any dealership in WA has these in stock, so it's not like I got other options and this dealer seems to know it

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 9, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You probably can't get out of the destination charge, it covers shipping the bike to the dealer. Tax, title, and registration fees are all charged by the state.

Assembly, documentation fees, etc. are all tacked on by the dealer and therefore negotiable if they want your business. Bikes, especially dirt bikes, have apparently been flying off dealer floors this year, so stock is low and the dealers aren't really willing to move on price.

$900 in add-on fees for a $3500 bike is loving ridiculous - you could buy something out of state and have it shipped to you for less.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Just a garbage dealership I guess. I had another place give me an OTD price for a '21 CRF125 (MSRP $3,599) and that came to ~$4,200.

Regardless, I found a deal on a 'used' '19 KLX140R L that was $3,900 OTD. Not sure why they sold this used. The factory tires on it look brand new. There are very light surface scratches on some of the plastics, otherwise it looks and feels new.

This bike is for my 16 yo. The KTM 250 was supposed to be his bike, but he is just too short. Couldn't find a suspension lowering link for that vintage KTM and cutting the seat only lowers it so much.

We are headed to Ahtanum tomorrow for a day of fun.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Cold day at Ahtanum! There was even a white out blizzard near the top of Darland Mountain.
The Kawi 140 rides very nicely. I've never ridden a thumper, that power is nice and even.
We're going out again to Juniper Dunes later today. The recent weather should have compacted all that loose sand down.

Juniper today, all three bikes. This place is a lot nicer in cooler/wetter weather.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 12, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I got out riding today with a buddy, just went to Reiter which was unfortunate because it's currently being logged and a lot of the trails were closed unbeknownst to us. Bike wasn't starting which was a little annoying, swapped plugs and noticed my plug was fouled so I'll be looking at my jetting later. Once I swapped the plug, bike started right up.

Riding was fine especially since we haven't got out in months. My new tires really felt good. Much more confidence inspiring in corners. It was a little chilly though ...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks cold but fun.

I was out for a couple hours at Juniper Dunes again this afternoon. I've really grown to like the place. I was in this thread bitching about it a few months ago. All that lose summer sand turns to decently packed beach sand in the fall.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fired off an email to a nearby non profit OHV park to see if they either offer classes or know who might, going to see if I can't get some actual training.

If anyone knows of very good courses anywhere in the deep south I could always go visit them with some vacation days. I could sign up for a MSF dirt rider course but it seems there aren't any in my state so if I'm going to travel I might out as well go to a really good place.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 27, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fired off an email to a nearby non profit OHV park to see if they either offer classes or know who might, going to see if I can't get some actual training.

If anyone knows of very good courses anywhere in the deep south I could always go visit them with some vacation days. I could sign up for a MSF dirt rider course but it seems there aren't any in my state so if I'm going to travel I might out as well go to a really good place.

Where in the Deep South? Perry mountain is in Alabama and I bet if you joined there are folks who would show you some things or hook you up with some instructor. A lot of dirt is just hop on and ride because the penalty is so much lower than street. I think the cross training enduro videos are quite helpful as well. Pick one of the ones for beginners and go practice it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So I posted before how I hate riding in sand.
Given that Juniper Dunes is about 35 minutes from my house, I've pushed myself to learn riding there.
I'm glad I did - that area is amazingly huge and a lot of fun to ride if you just go fast enough.
My rear wheel spins a lot in the loose stuff. I want to pick up at least a new rear tire more suited to Dunes/soft/medium sand trails.
Any recommendations? Paddle tires seem very much limited to soft sand only.
How about something like the Dunlop Geomax MX11?
The thing is, I still like riding trails in the Washington Cascades in the summer time.
But the vast majority of my riding over the year will be at Juniper.

Edit: I've got a Starcross 5 Soft on the rear which seems to be a decent sand tire already?

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 2, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Maybe try to find a spare rear off a parts bike and put a more sand oriented tire in it so you can swap when you want?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Starcross 5 is a good tire for sand. I also like the mx33 but I find the starcross 5 is a lot easier to mount. Also might be worth trying a gt fatty front to see how you like that.

What psi are you running?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Front is about 10.5, rear is 11.0 psi.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Front is about 10.5, rear is 11.0 psi.

I’ve heard folks who run like 16 in sand on the theory that it digs in for better traction. I personally prefer running a little lower, like 5 or 6.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Going back out again tomorrow so I'll give the lower pressure a try.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was out in the dunes again today, super nice weather. I ran the tires at 8 psi this time and that was a bit better. Tbh, it seems like I still need to learn shifting my weight for traction in sand. The more I ride out there, the better it gets.

Also it's pretty crazy how the parking/camping areas can be packed but you rarely run into anyone on the trails. It's a big area.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I was out in the dunes again today, super nice weather. I ran the tires at 8 psi this time and that was a bit better. Tbh, it seems like I still need to learn shifting my weight for traction in sand. The more I ride out there, the better it gets.

Also it's pretty crazy how the parking/camping areas can be packed but you rarely run into anyone on the trails. It's a big area.

nice! I'd always run mine super low if its just dunes like sand lake, but mid teens if there was something worth "digging" for like out in china hat back in OR

sand riding is just always a lot of work and I prefer doing it on other people's dirtbikes since sand is coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere, but it is pretty rewarding :D

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hit the sand again today for about three hours and going back for more tomorrow. It's nice having this ~30 min drive away

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Supercross practice is on TV and I'm streaming it in the discord channel and I'll stream the race in there tonight also. We don't have a dedicated thread for sx this year and I can't make one with the awful app so this have this post

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
PM me the discord link? I think I've talked people in the goon bikes discord into watching it at some point, might be able to combine. The misc racing thread gets some supercross posts as well and could use more.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://discord.gg/9EKgBnv

I also made an rm fantasy group if anyone is interested

https://www.rmfantasysx.com/group/invite/%20++++++++++++++++++++Super+Crossed%20++++++++++++++++++/daniel

That link should work, password sx2021

Name is Super Crossed if the link doesn't work and you can search it on the rmfantasysx.com website.

It is free, there are weekly and seasonal real prizes depending on how well you do (good luck)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Nice, I set my pulpmx team too because why not. Maybe tomorrow I'll just and make a proper thread. I think this is going to be a fast paced season in a lot of ways so it should be fun to do fantasy.

I think the next race is Tuesday for example.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
I could not help to think of this thread title when it came time to do a suspension overhaul on my TE150i and the manual said to remove the swingarm to remove the shock.
But I have to say this felt a lot quicker and easier than it's been removing the subframe on the other dirt bikes I've owned, no intake boot to fiddle with.

Ready to be handed over to somebody who knows what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

On my FC350 I have to remove my whole exhaust to remove my shock or vice versa I can't remember I don't want to lol husqvarnas