Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

I could not help to think of this thread title when it came time to do a suspension overhaul on my TE150i and the manual said to remove the swingarm to remove the shock.
But I have to say this felt a lot quicker and easier than it's been removing the subframe on the other dirt bikes I've owned, no intake boot to fiddle with.

Ready to be handed over to somebody who knows what they're doing.

How do you like it? I’m thinking of getting one to work on carrying speed in tight single track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

builds character posted:

How do you like it? I’m thinking of getting one to work on carrying speed in tight single track.

After 40 hours of riding I have basically nothing negative to say about it. I mostly ride tight and technical tracks, there it is exactly what I want, extremely nimble and easy to handle. The engine feels very linear in power delivery, compared to the 125 2t MX bikes I've ridden it is like a tractor. The TPI is lovely, it uses so little oil, we're talking deciliters for 40 hours of riding. I have gotten a few false neutrals on it though, but that might be my sloppy shifting.
Think I'll give the piston something like 50 or 60 hours before I replace it, we'll how it's holding up with this little oil in the fuel.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

doppler posted:

After 40 hours of riding I have basically nothing negative to say about it. I mostly ride tight and technical tracks, there it is exactly what I want, extremely nimble and easy to handle. The engine feels very linear in power delivery, compared to the 125 2t MX bikes I've ridden it is like a tractor. The TPI is lovely, it uses so little oil, we're talking deciliters for 40 hours of riding. I have gotten a few false neutrals on it though, but that might be my sloppy shifting.
Think I'll give the piston something like 50 or 60 hours before I replace it, we'll how it's holding up with this little oil in the fuel.

We nearly got one of these for my girlfriend - she tested one thru the "zachatk1" hard enduro course but ultimately likes her 2502t better. Too bad because the 150s can be had for so much cheaper.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone in NoVA / DC area want a free 02 KTM 300 exc? I moved back to Colorado and didnt bring it with me and really didnt / dont want to deal with the hassle of selling it and if a goon could put it to good use, all the better. It kicked over last year but probably needs the carbs cleaned, 20ish hours on the head as well.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 18, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
drat that's really nice!

Unrelated, my 250 EXC blew the top end yesterday - bad enough to need replating. I think I'll send it to Power Seal even though it's in PA. Ugh that puts me out for probably 4-5 weeks.

I'll probably send up selling it once it's back together and get something newer. Parts availability is starting to scare me with it being 21 years old. I need a new rear fender and can't find one anywhere. I might have to switch to the SX fender if it fits

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Anyone in NoVA / DC area want a free 02 KTM 300 exc? I moved back to Colorado and didnt bring it with me and really didnt / dont want to deal with the hassle of selling it and if a goon could put it to good use, all the better. It kicked over last year but probably needs the carbs cleaned, 20ish hours on the head as well.

It'd take me 10h to drive there from VT but I'd prbly take it for a buddy bike if you can't find someone.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

What's that block of metal where the clutch slave cylinder is? it looks neat

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Oh man, that's crazy generous. My buddy needs a bike but we're in Washington state and that would be a crazy drive for a free bike.

**Ok wait, my buddy is actually interested and is willing to fly there tomorrow (he's a commercial pilot) and ship it back** if you're for real and it's still available.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 18, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

How easy is it to loft the front? Does it do ok on transit sections - like 45-50mph?

shacked up with Brenda posted:

We nearly got one of these for my girlfriend - she tested one thru the "zachatk1" hard enduro course but ultimately likes her 2502t better. Too bad because the 150s can be had for so much cheaper.

Did she test the tpi version? Those are supposedly much nicer from what I’ve read.

What’s she like more about the 250?

e: the carbed 150sx are so cheap but the new TPI ones I can only find for closer to new.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/425607131897790/
vs.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5326911207381715

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 19, 2021

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

How easy is it to loft the front? Does it do ok on transit sections - like 45-50mph?

Did she test the tpi version? Those are supposedly much nicer from what I’ve read.

What’s she like more about the 250?

Oh she liked it, she's just a power rider. Always spinning the rear wheel. Legendary in NETRA scrambles for aggression.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 19, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Oh she liked it, she's just a power rider. Always spinning the rear wheel. Legendary in NETRA scrambles for aggression.

Tough to spin the rear when you're in the air all the time. :respek:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Sent my KTM cylinder off to get replated.
I'll be selling the bike once it's back together. I'm also going to sell the little Yamaha RT100 because that kid is ready for an upgrade.
But so is the older one with his KLX140R. Guess it will get passed down and now I'm looking for two KLR300R bikes in the northwest.

Edit: Whelp put a deposit down on two.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 19, 2021

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

builds character posted:

Lifting the font is about as easy as on a 250 4t I think, I have no problems getting it over logs. The stock gearing is pretty low, above 80 km/h you are revving it a lot in sixth, but for shorter sections it's totally fine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

Lifting the font is about as easy as on a 250 4t I think, I have no problems getting it over logs. The stock gearing is pretty low, above 80 km/h you are revving it a lot in sixth, but for shorter sections it's totally fine.

Nice, thanks! You've kept stock gearing then?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sent my KTM cylinder off to get replated.
I'll be selling the bike once it's back together. I'm also going to sell the little Yamaha RT100 because that kid is ready for an upgrade.
But so is the older one with his KLX140R. Guess it will get passed down and now I'm looking for two KLR300R bikes in the northwest.

Edit: Whelp put a deposit down on two.

Congrats on the new bikes! Why'd you end up with those instead of, for example, ttr225s?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

builds character posted:

Why'd you end up with those instead of, for example, ttr225s?

A few different factors:
Bigger, higher compression engine with fuel injection on the KLX (I'm coming off a 2T 250 and don't want to give up too much power lol)
Better suspension, adjustable with more travel
Really comfortable with the dealer
Seems to be a really popular bike since it came out.
This may be less relevant since it's a different model, but I do really like the way our KLX 140 handles.

I was really tempted by the WR250F and YZ250F but I couldn't have pulled off two of them.
Besides, if I am honest with myself about my skills and riding environment, then I really should not need anything more.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

A few different factors:
Bigger, higher compression engine with fuel injection on the KLX (I'm coming off a 2T 250 and don't want to give up too much power lol)
Better suspension, adjustable with more travel
Really comfortable with the dealer
Seems to be a really popular bike since it came out.
This may be less relevant since it's a different model, but I do really like the way our KLX 140 handles.

I was really tempted by the WR250F and YZ250F but I couldn't have pulled off two of them.
Besides, if I am honest with myself about my skills and riding environment, then I really should not need anything more.

Makes sense. My son has a klx110 and it’s great.

And in terms of skill, a ttr225 is not enough bike for me but honestly probably only because it’s not properly sprung. All the corner spin type classes are on like xr100s so...

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

builds character posted:

Nice, thanks! You've kept stock gearing then?

Yes, for the type of riding I do (poor and slow) it feels perfect, I can just switch between 3rd and 4th for almost everything and only go down to 2nd for the steepest stuff. Vid of it in action:

https://youtu.be/u13P-Q3IEyg

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

Yes, for the type of riding I do (poor and slow) it feels perfect, I can just switch between 3rd and 4th for almost everything and only go down to 2nd for the steepest stuff. Vid of it in action:

Looks like some really nice trails there. You're mostly in 3rd and 4th, not 2nd?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

doppler posted:

sick trails - where?

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

builds character posted:

Looks like some really nice trails there. You're mostly in 3rd and 4th, not 2nd?

Yeah, I only go down to 2nd for the slowest bits.

sick trails - where?

Here

Falkerud, kinda typical swedish enduro track but definitely one of the most technical I've ridden.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AH interesting. I was skiing in Austria in March with a bunch of swedes and I was asking them about dirtbiking. They said it's illegal country wide but there's only one cop per every 100,000 people (or less), so it doesn't matter?

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

AH interesting. I was skiing in Austria in March with a bunch of swedes and I was asking them about dirtbiking. They said it's illegal country wide but there's only one cop per every 100,000 people (or less), so it doesn't matter?

That's true in the sense that you can't just take your unplated dirt bike into the woods anywhere you like, "offroad" riding is illegal except on sanctioned courses where you have the permission of the landowner and local authoroties. But those courses are plenty, I have three of them in a 25 minute radius from my house. Also, if you have a plated bike, there are so many old logging roads that are more like trails, but legally still counts as roads, in the woods all over the country that there's no lack of places to ride. Of course their second point is true though, the risk of getting caught if you ride somewhere illegal is extremely small, I just don't have any reason to do it.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

First time out on studded tires today. The amount of grip is just hilarious, I was probably faster on some sections today than I am on a dry summer day. And the best part is the bike is almost cleaner when you get home than when you left!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

First time out on studded tires today. The amount of grip is just hilarious, I was probably faster on some sections today than I am on a dry summer day. And the best part is the bike is almost cleaner when you get home than when you left!

Looks great. What kind of spikes?

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

builds character posted:

Looks great. What kind of spikes?

Dunno, are there different kinds? 20 mm in the front, 23 in the back.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

doppler posted:

Dunno, are there different kinds? 20 mm in the front, 23 in the back.

Boy are there ever. Those look like the ones I’ve used but I know guys use all different kinds of studs including just screws.

http://www.wanduro.com/easy-diy-studded-enduro-snow-and-ice-tires/

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got one of the two KLX300Rs I ordered, but from a different dealer.

Next to the KLX140R G.

I got 2.5 hours of break-in done today and will need to change the oil sometime this week. Very comfortable ride with nice linear tractor power. Compared to the old KTM 250 2T this is like a diesel.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
How are you finding the 300?

I went for a short dirt ride today. It was -3c up on the ridge near home and all the puddles were frozen over.

I've previously chickened out of the ford near my house as it's all mossy on the bottom but went for it today. The bike was 45 degrees to true by the time I got to the other side but I didn't bin it which is good.

Bonus abandoned oik scooter. I was tempted to collect it later as I've been looking for a project but without a garage I'll probably just call it in.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Shelvocke posted:

How are you finding the 300?

My only dirtbike before this one was a KTM 250 EXC from 2000. The 300 has softer suspension, 2 inch shorter wheelbase, and is a bit heavier. It feels much more nimble and is very easy to ride. I'm a pretty short guy and certainly can't flat-foot this bike but it's still a very confidence-inspiring ride.

The KTM pulled harder once on the pipe, but this thing just pulls steady everywhere. I tried out some of the shorter hill climbs yesterday, just leaving it in first and drat near idling up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, I put my trelliborgs on in December but have not once ridden my bike since. Whoops. Snow too good for skiing I guess.

I should charge my battery.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got the topend for my 250 EXC back from PowerSeal for a weld & replate.
Fired up first kick so that was great. The plastics are finally complete, new grips, everything is clean.
So my plan was to pick up two new KLX300Rs for myself and my 17yr old kid and sell the KTM once it's back together and running. I already got one of the KLX bikes, but still waiting on the second.
Of course, now that the KTM is running again I am already anxious about selling it. Such a fun bike to ride but man I don't want that maintenance schedule and finding parts for a 21 year old KTM can be challenging.
I guess I'll break in the new topend and park it until sold. Here's hoping the new stimulus checks give me a plethora of buyers.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de0OD3XerNY

Lots of great winter riding this weekend.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That looks very cool. I tried winter riding in the snow on Saturday and it went pretty badly lol. About 6-8 inches of melting snow on regular knobbies just didn't work for me or the two kids. If we had snow more consistently I'd look into the studded tires - that traction looks amazing.

I am trying again today. It's been 40-50 degrees for two days now and most of the snow is gone. Juniper Dunes might now actually be muddy for once.
I'll be breaking in the new topend on the KTM and my 17yo is riding the KLX300R.
I'll post some video later.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here, have some video of riding around at Juniper Dunes in the snow and then a couple days later. It's my 17yo riding with the cam on both a KLX140R (loud) and a KLX300R (not so loud). Yours truly loving around with the KTM.
I know the cam position is not ideal, still working on fixing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6B3Fxs9J3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG68QMWlPJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBgWNPk4eoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnQgzFEybKA

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Looks like a lot of fun. At least you found your helmet for the second video. :colbert:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Did about 60 dirt miles this afternoon as it was briefly dry. The winter rain has completely wrecked a lot of the trails around here and the going was perilous. Fortunately it's a lot easier to handle without the huge desert tank sloshing around up top.

Dug a few trenches by accident, nearly got stuck, waved at some hikers. A good day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Went riding for the first time in awhile Thursday, mostly stuck behind my buddy's (slow) GF, but that's alright, wasn't feeling the speed much, and when I did break free for awhile I washed the rear on a big rock, hit the berm and went over the handlebars at 25 MPH.

didn't get any pictures, so here's a dramatic shot of the Husky strapped to my truck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Well bigdrywallguy came through and the ktm made it to Seattle. My buddy is super thrilled and the bike is in great shape. Didn't start initially but we cleaned the tank and carb and got it running three kicks later. Still can't believe this happened and everything worked out. Bigdrywallguy, you're a legend.

Just starting it, I felt like I was riding Godzillas dildo. My feet and hands were buzzing. Can't imagine what it's like pinned.

http://imgur.com/gallery/0Ifhorc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Verman posted:

Well bigdrywallguy came through and the ktm made it to Seattle. My buddy is super thrilled and the bike is in great shape. Didn't start initially but we cleaned the tank and carb and got it running three kicks later. Still can't believe this happened and everything worked out. Bigdrywallguy, you're a legend.

Just starting it, I felt like I was riding Godzillas dildo. My feet and hands were buzzing. Can't imagine what it's like pinned.

http://imgur.com/gallery/0Ifhorc

:toot: Sent him a text earlier about the title.