Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
"Once the gate drops, the BS stops" Cooper Webb,2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Eli Tomacs number plate is extra shiny tonight

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

TotalLossBrain posted:

Off-Highway Vehicle

wait you mean... my god, all this time

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

Eli Tomacs number plate is extra shiny tonight

I'm a simple man. I just enjoy Webb not winning.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

I'm a simple man. I just enjoy Webb not winning.

I'll see if I can get him to sign an autograph for you next weekend ;)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I prefer going to foxboro over jersey due to proximity but going to jersey means going to Rutt's Hut for some delicious hotdogs

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

On a course like this, being raced at this time of day, I wonder if it is more like outdoors than indoors and benefits those type of riders

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Is there some trick to maintaining throttle control? I took my adv on some pretty crazy trails, was an ATV park, greens. There was sizable rocks and roots on steepish, 30-40 degree inclines I'd say. A few times I'd hit something or like fall out of the track on an ATV line. Sometimes I was trying to ride the center of the ATV track marks because of ground clearance.

But like when I hit a bump it forced me to throttle and then I'd fight to regain control.

I was only going like 20. I was able to regain control the 2-3 times it happened but it is scary.

It's like whiskey throttle, but it's way easier to do on dirt.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Stand up, grip your bike with your feet, legs, and knees and loosen your grip on on the bars.

If the terrain is forcing you to grip your bars that tight to where you're whiskey throttling, you're either leaning too forward and putting too much pressure on your hands, or you're panic gripping. When you get knocked off balance, you're using your hands to balance and that ends up playing with your throttle. On dirtbikes, if you can stand in an attack position squeezing your bike, you should be able to let go of your bars without falling forward or backwards. Thats typically a good sign of being well positioned but an ADV bike might be different given the seat height and ergonomics of the bike.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

and your fingers are on the clutch constantly modulating or ready to modulate at a moment's notice. You can't dirtbike slowly smoothly if you try and do it all with the throttle hand

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is there some trick to maintaining throttle control? I took my adv on some pretty crazy trails, was an ATV park, greens. There was sizable rocks and roots on steepish, 30-40 degree inclines I'd say. A few times I'd hit something or like fall out of the track on an ATV line. Sometimes I was trying to ride the center of the ATV track marks because of ground clearance.

But like when I hit a bump it forced me to throttle and then I'd fight to regain control.

I was only going like 20. I was able to regain control the 2-3 times it happened but it is scary.

It's like whiskey throttle, but it's way easier to do on dirt.

fwiw, 1. use your clutch to modulate throttle.

2. 20 is fast on dirt depending on what kind of dirt.

3. look up, not down. If you look down you're going to end up going in and out of the tracks. But if you look up it's a lot easier to not fall down and go in/out of the ATV and other lines.

4. angle your toes in a tiny bit and it will help lock your calves against your bike which is how you should be holding on, not with your hands. Sometimes you can't avoid hands but those times you probably be modulating power you're putting down with the clutch. Graham Jarvis says that he only uses the clutch and just keeps throttle consistent. I don't think that's entirely true but I think it's true enough.

500excf type r posted:

On a course like this, being raced at this time of day, I wonder if it is more like outdoors than indoors and benefits those type of riders

I think, once again, the important point is that Cooper Webb didn't win.

500excf type r posted:

I'll see if I can get him to sign an autograph for you next weekend ;)

Only if you immediately eat it afterward in front of him and then say "mm, tastes like failure."

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The clutch thing is a good idea, I was not doing that. Could treat it like slow moving traffic.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

fwiw, 1. use your clutch to modulate throttle.

2. 20 is fast on dirt depending on what kind of dirt.

3. look up, not down. If you look down you're going to end up going in and out of the tracks. But if you look up it's a lot easier to not fall down and go in/out of the ATV and other lines.

4. angle your toes in a tiny bit and it will help lock your calves against your bike which is how you should be holding on, not with your hands. Sometimes you can't avoid hands but those times you probably be modulating power you're putting down with the clutch. Graham Jarvis says that he only uses the clutch and just keeps throttle consistent. I don't think that's entirely true but I think it's true enough.

I think, once again, the important point is that Cooper Webb didn't win.

Only if you immediately eat it afterward in front of him and then say "mm, tastes like failure."

Re: 4 / Graham Jarvis, it's more true for a 2t than a 4t

Also there's just plain experience and seat time to it that will reinforce all the above good habits but without it, the good habits wont be enough. Eventually you just get good, maybe not great, but anyone can be good with practice

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My limited dirt experience leads me to believe you can't get good without at least one serious injury and many minor ones

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

That's mainly motocross. Most all other dirt riding can be done safe-ish-ly

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Nerds

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

gently caress off with your A’s. Rest of us in here riding C and you call us nerds? Smh.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i just had my first pavement low-side. a outside of a 15mph turn i took at maybe 20. would have been fine on clean pavement but it was covered in tiny gravel. before i knew what was happening the rear slips and thud. pants and gloves got some good scuffing and my poor abused gearshift lever got bent for the umpteenth time but other than that we're both fine. ~20 miles of rutted fire roads on that ride and i eat poo poo on the pavement afterword

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

My wife is on photo level 3 now with her boo Kyle (he was the first person to like it in Instagram this morning lol) but having the superstar 94 on his team means we couldn't hang out at his tent and shoot the poo poo with him like we usually do. That being said, they had the most organized autograph signing of all the teams and Honda is disorganized and terrible as usual

We bailed once the delay began because we had to drive home to ct last night and then drive to Maine this morning but holy poo poo those mains were crazy

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 23, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Goodbye old rear end KTM, hello new KX250!
First trip will be to the Florence Dunes this weekend. I'm putting a paddle tire on at 0 hrs lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Goodbye old rear end KTM, hello new KX250!
First trip will be to the Florence Dunes this weekend. I'm putting a paddle tire on at 0 hrs lol

45 horsepower? :hmmyes:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
this is a leftover '22 with the old boring 38 HP
Should still be a nice step up from my KTM with pv's that never work correctly or the KLX300 with a measly 27 HP and 76 lbs more

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

this is a leftover '22 with the old boring 38 HP
Should still be a nice step up from my KTM with pv's that never work correctly or the KLX300 with a measly 27 HP and 76 lbs more

A mere 38 hp? Pathetic.

don't die

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's all safely locked away at high revs!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Finally watched the NJ sx race and that is a lot of mud. I rode in mud like that once and I just kind of randomly fell over. Like there'd be traction and then there'd be nothing and it was an infinitesimal difference in throttle or lean angle that did it.

Anyway, once again, lol cooper webb.

He's actually ridden not badly this year but just not quite enough for whatever reason. Doesn't really seem like the reason is that Tomac is just dominant in the way he has been in the past sometimes but he's still been awfully good.

Slavvy posted:

It's all safely locked away at high revs!

:golfclap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cooper webb and Jack Miller are related somehow, they have to be. Possibly through Australia's extensive high performance inbreeding program

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Paddles, hour meter, and handguards installed, filter oiled, tank full.
Ready to go to the dunes on Friday

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

sick

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

rip cylinder walls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a sick doon setup m8, looks fun as hell

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How do you stop on like dirt - like dirtbikes are tall and it's hard to get a foot down even on flat ground. The ground could be rocky, uneven, or on a very steep slope. How do you not drop the bike if you have to stop in a weird place? It's different than the street where you just put your left foot down and right on the rear brake. Or do bikes get dropped and it's part of it, just a combination of skill and not stopping on bad terrain?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I drop my dirtbike all the loving time

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I drop my dirtbike all the loving time

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just kidding, there's an easy answer here:

you get used to putting your foot down on whichever side is higher, or you just drop the bike more often and it doesn't matter at all. scoot your butt over on the seat on whichever side and if you're under like 5'6" get a lowering kit for whatever bike. You can see in that picture on my left grip that it's gotten all messed up from being dropped without wraparound hand guards. It's totally fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue one of the chief differences between an ADV and an actual dirt bike is that one of them is designed to be able to lay down and take naps as part of its daily life while the other is a street bike that's meant to stay on its wheels at all times

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
You are right. I need a different bike 😂
The ADV can kind of take naps with crash bars. But some of the stuff at the local park is steep. I think if I dropped it it would roll down the bad way.

For the moment I was just like...making sure I don't gently caress up on hill climbs or descents...very rocky with lots of roots...and only stopping when it seemed a good place to do so. I hosed up once in a good place and dropped it slowly. Didn't damage it.
But like if I dropped on a rocky hill in the woods, it would probably bounce and roll down sideways like the long way like a catastrophic crash. Kinda steep at the ATV park.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 29, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I find both descents and climbs to be the worst places to stop unless you absolutely cannot help it.

Something I didn't yet see mentioned about dropping, and picking up a dirt bike is that they're not very heavy.
My KX250 weighs 236 lbs fueled.
I'm short at barely 5'6" with a 28" inseam. I just moved up to this KX with a spec sheet seat height of 37.3 inches, though I think that's without the rider compressing the suspension.
I generally have no problem stopping/holding. It gets tricky when I try to turn slowly on a sloping surface and the inside of the turn slopes downhill.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 29, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah, there are certain kinds of spots that are troublesome. It's usually on uneven inclines. It suddenly makes your 37" stand over 45" and you can't touch ... That's when you get the slow tip over. The worst is if you're on a hill and your bike wants to fall high side down the hill vs into the upside of the hill. That's a much longer fall and will likely throw you with it.

Or you anticipate the bike to fall one way and you step over that way, but then it falls the opposite and you just let it go. Dirt bikes fall over.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I broke it in boys. Power wheelies confirmed to be working, even in 4th.

62 miles, 3 hours

I've read online complaining about the suspension being too hard. Maybe it's because I'm coming from a 23 year old bike with everything leaking fork oil or maybe it's because I'm ~170 lbs and therefore in Kawi's spec weight ... But it feels plush and comfortable. I have no desire to change anything.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats sick. Doon break-in is probably the most fun break in you could have

What app did you use to record that GPS track?