Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Opensourcepirate posted:

If we're destroying poo poo, I could probably show up with some thermite.

Destroying poo poo? Does my TFR side need to come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
So, it looks like just south of Boston is the general center of our little band of morons, ranging from CT to ME. Boston would work for me, anyone west of the city with a decent sized piece of land?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
Kastein's is about an hour and change from my place and lax code enforcement sounds like a bonus for destroying things with thermite. Something closer to the 495 loop would probably be more central for everyone though

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SwashedBuckles posted:

Kastein's is about an hour and change from my place and lax code enforcement sounds like a bonus for destroying things with thermite. Something closer to the 495 loop would probably be more central for everyone though
Precisely, someplace just west or south of the city. Thermite would be awesome, it's been a while since I burned through an engine block.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I'm near Manchester, NH. Would be up for something in Epping or Portsmouth, but if there's stuff blowing up it might be worthwhile to head down to Boston area.

So, should I take the Forester XT or the Miata?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I might have to go all out and put another can of paint on my jeep.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
To give an idea of what I can get away with out here, I've had several dozen 30' bonfires, many days of using an angle grinder and a lot of air tools, a few drunken nights that involved firing the air raid siren up, and more fireworks than I can count fired off here... and the police have never shown up. Usually my neighbors either show up for the party already drunk, or don't care. They don't really like REALLY loud noises after about midnight.

There was also the time I put a quart of gasoline in an aluminum fire extinguisher cylinder and threw it in the bonfire... the explosion was so loud the neighbors thought I fired a potato cannon at their house (200' away) and the fireball/mushroom cloud was approximately 25 feet in diameter. That *almost* got the police called on me.

Thermite and exploding engines won't even get anyone curious. We can't fire weapons in the yard, but only because this is Massachusetts :byodame: and Guns are Evil :byodame: and I'm inside town limits.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

We can't fire weapons in the yard, but only because this is Massachusetts :byodame: and Guns are Evil :byodame: and I'm inside town limits.

I have a place up here in Maine for that anyhow.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kastein posted:

To give an idea of what I can get away with out here, I've had several dozen 30' bonfires, many days of using an angle grinder and a lot of air tools, a few drunken nights that involved firing the air raid siren up, and more fireworks than I can count fired off here... and the police have never shown up. Usually my neighbors either show up for the party already drunk, or don't care. They don't really like REALLY loud noises after about midnight.

There was also the time I put a quart of gasoline in an aluminum fire extinguisher cylinder and threw it in the bonfire... the explosion was so loud the neighbors thought I fired a potato cannon at their house (200' away) and the fireball/mushroom cloud was approximately 25 feet in diameter. That *almost* got the police called on me.

Thermite and exploding engines won't even get anyone curious. We can't fire weapons in the yard, but only because this is Massachusetts :byodame: and Guns are Evil :byodame: and I'm inside town limits.

This sounds amazing.

I do have two good sized bricks of magnesium that can be cut up for fire too :ninja:

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Muffinpox posted:

No, I want to drive for a team there but haven't seen any spots open :( But I'll come park my Ducati at the starbucks on Newbury with you .
If you want to come hang at the 5/5-6 race, it's always a good time. We're probably running our old CRX but we're working on a Vette for the 10/27-28 race.

gently caress Newbury for obvious reasons. I've got a nice loop out in Waltham/Weston if you want to go run some street laps sometime.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

I'm totally down for this... blowing poo poo up, bonfires, wrenching parties, whatever. My yard is also available for blowing poo poo up, I'm right on the CT/mass line on 84/90 in Southbridge.

Summer Nationals sounds like a great idea.

(side note - if I can get enough wood together I'm probably having a bonfire tonight, will be welding bits of metal onto my jeep all day, free beer, anyone who feels like dropping by is welcome to)

(and I have lots of rusty MJs, where lots = two)

I think I mentioned in the offroad thread that I spend most of my time in Southbridge at my girl's house. We should hang out sometime, definitely. Or go wheeling if I ever get my 'yota to run right again.

Billy Tully posted:

Nice, I live like 15 minutes away from Marks and go all the time. I'll let you know when I'm going.

I'm down for Marks. Somehow growing up in Stafford I've never made it over there. Let me know as well, I'll cruise over in the E30.

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003
Damn you and your daily doubles you brigand!
Boston here as well, my car's only somewhat AI-ish (DSG GTI), but I'd be glad to come out and slag some brews.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
It's getting warm enough that we could probably work in some camping. What do you guys think?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I dunno how I missed this, slow is fast even told me such a thread existed.

Hopefully I have my awesome failure of a car ready by this so I can drive it down there.
All it needs is a new rear end and fix the rust holes that are big enough to put my head through..

kastein's place sounds awesome, it should be held there!

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
I am all for Boston-area beers, explosions, and firearms. Also with the weather we could totally make this some sort of camping thing. Franconia Notch, anyone?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
New England :gooncamp: redux in the works?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I told myself I'd never go to East Granby, CT again after my ex and I broke up a few years ago, but that looks pretty dope.

I live in North Granby and I don't even like going to East Granby except for work.

Mark's is awesome, though. It starts in the beginning of May. There's always some awesome cars there. Last year they had two DeTomaso Panteras parked next to each other.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ACEofsnett posted:

I think I mentioned in the offroad thread that I spend most of my time in Southbridge at my girl's house. We should hang out sometime, definitely. Or go wheeling if I ever get my 'yota to run right again.

I'm down for Marks. Somehow growing up in Stafford I've never made it over there. Let me know as well, I'll cruise over in the E30.

lemme know. I know fuckall about yotas but I'd be down for trying to get it running right, too.

I know some decent trails in the area now, having done some exploration recently.

commissargribb posted:

It's getting warm enough that we could probably work in some camping. What do you guys think?

I will be camping in my own backyard in the near future because I need to get more of the house gutted and rebuilt, and the weather's getting nice so why not? Hammock strung between two Cherokee roof racks, whatup!

(I slept in a hammock strung between two junk jeeps in my backyard for 3 months last summer, not even kidding)

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
I've got some camping stuff that's been gathering dust in storage so that sounds like a great time.

Also, I've been meaning to go to the New England Forest Rally for years; is anyone else on the fence?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

I'm looking for someone in Maine around Bangor to check out a car for me. Cuz I'm lazy and the drive up 95 wouldn't be worth it for an initial trip. Any takers? I don't actually remember where Slow is Fast said he was from.
e: oh yeah, of course, I would give a lil cash for your troubles.

Anyone? I tried to PM Acky, but this is a bit of a slow thread. I guess he might not have swung back by.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

SwashedBuckles posted:

I've got some camping stuff that's been gathering dust in storage so that sounds like a great time.

Also, I've been meaning to go to the New England Forest Rally for years; is anyone else on the fence?
I'm up for camping.

I'm over the fence. Slow is fast and I are going this year.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone? I tried to PM Acky, but this is a bit of a slow thread. I guess he might not have swung back by.
Sorry man, I travel through Bangor regularly, but always on the way to the boat shop, either at 7 a.m. or at 9 pm, and with the captain diving driving.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I used to live in Bangor, but not anymore :(

SwashedBuckles posted:

I'll be there, either spectating or volunteering. Hoping to actually drive the drat thing in 2013...

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kimbo305 posted:

I live way the gently caress down in York County.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Poing posted:

If you want to come hang at the 5/5-6 race, it's always a good time. We're probably running our old CRX but we're working on a Vette for the 10/27-28 race.

gently caress Newbury for obvious reasons. I've got a nice loop out in Waltham/Weston if you want to go run some street laps sometime.

I'll come hang, if you have a spot I have plenty of wheel-to-wheel experience in karts.

Also I don't actually ride motorcycles but I do have an S2000 which is close enough.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

lemme know. I know fuckall about yotas but I'd be down for trying to get it running right, too.

I know some decent trails in the area now, having done some exploration recently.

I will be camping in my own backyard in the near future because I need to get more of the house gutted and rebuilt, and the weather's getting nice so why not? Hammock strung between two Cherokee roof racks, whatup!

(I slept in a hammock strung between two junk jeeps in my backyard for 3 months last summer, not even kidding)

I'll be up in the dirty bridge this weekend, actually. Impromptu AI meetup, anyone?

SwashedBuckles posted:

I would be down for this. It's in July, right? Central Maine is only 5 hours or so, very doable. Actually seeing a rally in real life would be amazing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ACEofsnett posted:

I'll be up in the dirty bridge this weekend, actually. Impromptu AI meetup, anyone?

I would be down for this. It's in July, right? Central Maine is only 5 hours or so, very doable. Actually seeing a rally in real life would be amazing.

I'm down. Hell, meet me just off the last exit on 84 in CT and I'll show you the "fun way" into town.

(lowered rides and those with less than 8-10" of ground clearance need not apply)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

I'm down. Hell, meet me just off the last exit on 84 in CT and I'll show you the "fun way" into town.

(lowered rides and those with less than 8-10" of ground clearance need not apply)

Hah, nice. My prepped '91 Toyota pickup on 31" tires is at my dad's house in Stafford waiting for me to replace the ECU. Otherwise, I'd take you up on that. I don't think my '86 2wd would do too well off road. Hell, it doesn't do too well ON the road.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

My YJ is still stock but I have a 2" procomp lift waiting to go on. Just gotta make some time to change it over.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

commissargribb posted:

My YJ is still stock but I have a 2" procomp lift waiting to go on. Just gotta make some time to change it over.

you might make it through fine. I got my stock 98 XJ through there in the winter when some of the deeper holes were mostly frozen, but there were some "uhoh, I might be stuck" moments to be sure.

Worst case if someone gets stuck, it's an excuse to fire up the MJ or the 5-ton and take a short cross-town excursion to solve the problem.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

I may take you up on this with the 67. Its uncontrollable in the rain on pavement, am I sure to get stuck? ACEofsnett, you and your girl are welcome to ride along if you want to get pulled out with the 5 ton with me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Billy Tully posted:

I may take you up on this with the 67. Its uncontrollable in the rain on pavement, am I sure to get stuck? ACEofsnett, you and your girl are welcome to ride along if you want to get pulled out with the 5 ton with me.

67 what? I forget what you drive somehow... tires? body clearance?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

commissargribb posted:

aka waiting for slow is fast to come do it for you :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Feel free to bring all the parts for the lift whenever we have this shindig (when is it, anyways? I'm down for installing it on the spot if anyone else is, or hell, even if not, as long as there aren't any weldnuts to break loose... and that's what I have a welder for anyways.

I am not sure if I should tear the 5-ton apart and try to have it 100% fixed for this, or leave it together and hope it holds up.

Side note - a friend of mine from college who lurks AI just dropped me a line and asked if he was welcome, even as a primarily on-road AIer. Just to clear things up, I am not really in charge of this (at least I hope not, I suck at planning), it just seems to be probably happening at my house since we can get away with poo poo there... and pavement pounders are welcome too, if I've given the impression that only offroad/rally types are welcome I am quite sorry, that is incorrect AND it's not my place to say what kind of event this is anyways. Show up!

The only real rules if it happens at my place are -
don't piss off the neighbors (no explosions or loud exhaust past about 11-midnight)
don't get the cops called (see also: no explosions resulting in a mushroom cloud > 30ft diameter)
no glass in the bonfire (I hate picking up broken glass. metal is fine)
don't burn the house down
don't break things in the house that are not supposed to be broken. There are however plenty of things that can be broken.

oh, closed-toe shoes are probably a wise choice.

I *think* those are all fairly common sense... :haw:

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
And remember all; possession of less than an ounce of marijuana in MA is only a $100 fine.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Checking in from upstate New York although I'll probably never goonmeet anybody for any reason. Cool to be a part of something.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Long Island here. Looks like it's about 175ish miles for me. I might be up for coming out, depending on how many pieces my main car is in when this get-drunk-and-blow-poo poo-up fest actually happens. It's scheduled for surgery pretty soon. :ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

Chevy pickup 2WD, suspension is all stock and it sits really high. Problem is the wood bed is all rotted out and might as well be made of styrofoam peanuts as far as weight over the rear tires goes. If it makes the trip to Stafford in the next day or two I might bring it, I haven't been more than like 10 miles from my house with it yet.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Billy Tully posted:

Hah, at least poor Kastein there will be busy all day, pulling out a series of hard stuck 2wd trucks.

kastein posted:

That's the 2wd C10, isn't it? Reminds me, you should post some pics of how that beast looks now, I'm curious to see the direction you're taking it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ACEofsnett posted:

Hah, at least poor Kastein there will be busy all day, pulling out a series of hard stuck 2wd trucks.

That's the 2wd C10, isn't it? Reminds me, you should post some pics of how that beast looks now, I'm curious to see the direction you're taking it in.

It still looks the same. I didn't work on it over the winter because I was fixing up my shop. Now I'm just fixing all the little things I hadn't gotten to yet like fine tuning the carb, getting the brakes adjusted better, cleaning up electrical connections and stuff like that.

• Locked thread