Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just bought ten pounds of fine flake aluminum powder.

Everyone bring your rustiest New England AI - certified vehicle so we can knock the rust out, grind it up, and make some thermite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Everyone bring your rustiest New England AI - certified vehicle so we can knock the rust out, grind it up, and make some thermite

done and done.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Muffinpox posted:

Augh gently caress I'm so sorry everyone, it's going to snow saturday.

more wait for tires :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kastein posted:

Dammit, I sold my Eclipse!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dammit, I sold my Eclipse!

No worries dude, we got the oxide covered living in New England and all.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
MAY 12 the average high is 69F with a low of 43F.

Let's see if that holds true. :ohdear:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 30, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Will have all the materials for the thermite on hand by Thursday.

Anyone got a line on some gallium? I found it on disappearingspoons.com but it is quite expensive there, about 1.4eur per gram. Not sure how much would be needed to make an aluminum block / cyl head fall apart.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
The more I read this thread the more I wish I was going to be around for May.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/03/27/connecticut-antique-machinery-association-power-up-scheduled-for-may-5/

Anyone interested in this? It looks pretty cool.

Also : I'm bringing a complete Chrysler K-car 2.5 liter to be destroyed. Not running, sadly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

the whole car or just the motor? What's wrong with it?

I am halfway through sawzalling up the XJ we were gonna hit with a pickaxe, got tired of looking at it. I guess we'll have to hit other things with pickaxes instead.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

the whole car or just the motor? What's wrong with it?

I am halfway through sawzalling up the XJ we were gonna hit with a pickaxe, got tired of looking at it. I guess we'll have to hit other things with pickaxes instead.

Just the motor. There was nothing wrong with it when it was put outside, 6 years ago. Probably seized solid now..

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I'm kind of interested in this but I don't really want to pay $159 for someone else to drive me around in a road car. I wonder if you get to take the wheel and how long it lasts Groupon stadium supercar ride deal

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 3, 2012

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Muffinpox posted:

I'm kind of interested in this but I don't really want to pay $159 for someone else to drive me around in a road car. I wonder if you get to take the wheel and how long it lasts Groupon stadium supercar ride deal

In that link it says

quote:

The three-lap driving experience puts drivers behind the wheel of one of four luxury vehicles: an Audi R8, Ferrari, Lamborghini or Mercedes SLS Gullwing. Rides take place on June 15, 16,17, 22, 23, and 24.

So it sounds like you get to drive.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kastein posted:

drat, The world's rustiest Daytona was just hauled off to the scrappers this weekend.

But I think we would burn a hole to Austraila with THAT much.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

chrisgt posted:

In that link it says

So it sounds like you get to drive.

Huh, how did I miss that. I think I'm going to get it as a gift for my dads birthday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kastein posted:

UPS failed hard and "left the package at rear door"

... no they didn't, they left it at some random house near me at the rear door :eng99:

I'm currently raising hell with them, they need to either find it or refund me. I doubt they will do either but we'll see.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:siren: UPDATE: ALUMINUM POWDER HAS BEEN LOCATED :siren:

according to UPS, "sitting on a trashcan in the middle of my backyard" is the same as "left by rear door". But I have the aluminum now.

Here is 250g of thermite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMeyw_iZk5Y

I have materials for 12250g of thermite. Almost 50 times that much.

Also getting a small amount of black copper oxide to make copper thermite, should be interesting.

There will be excess aluminum powder, bring your most exotic rusts and oxides for testing purposes

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I just cut up a rusted out boat trailer... that's had some salt water love. I'll save some of the scrap metal :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We tried out the thermite recipe last weekend. Sadly, apparently measuring it with a cut in half beer can and mixing it by shaking it around for 30 seconds in an old mcdonalds cup isn't accurate enough. I'll be picking up a good scale today or tomorrow hopefully... and a good ball mill, and some magnesium strip.

Also I just finished clearing off my whole porch so we can grill and chill in style instead of milling around my junkyard, err, yard. The porch also doubles as an automotive workshop.

Since Commissargribb ended up with a time conflict and a few people are probably going to be camping and wandering around in the morning as well, and I have so much thermite, this is most likely going to be a two day event for anyone who feels like sticking around.

Stuff to do -
- run every paved twisty we can find (route 190 on the way back from Stafford was kinda cool in a lifted truck but probably lame in a real car, and the road from 169 by the airport to my house is the same)
- run all the rough dirt roads I know of in the various jeeps / bad rear end subarus / bad rear end toyotas
- blow poo poo up with thermite
- blow poo poo up with copper thermite
- I have a turbo for Big Turbo, Small Engine but not sure if it'll actually build boost. Someone else said they had one that will build boost, not sure who it was.
- might lift CommissarGribb's YJ Sunday?
- oh yeah, drink, bbq stuff, eat, etc.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

This is going to be amazing.

I fully intend to spit fire with cheap liquor as well.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

This is going to be amazing.

I fully intend to spit fire with cheap liquor as well.

Is that how you're going to light the thermite?

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
Someone is going to die at this event and it will be amazing. :D New england rules.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

yeah someone is probably gonna get killed by a flying lawn mower cylinder head or something.

Hitting Hollands junkyard up in Billerica tomorrow for big-rear end turbos if anyone feels like scrounging and/or dragging me out from under a vehicle when it falls on me.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Since Commissargribb ended up with a time conflict and a few people are probably going to be camping and wandering around in the morning as well, and I have so much thermite, this is most likely going to be a two day event for anyone who feels like sticking around.

:glomp:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kastein posted:

Hitting Hollands junkyard up in Billerica tomorrow for big-rear end turbos if anyone feels like scrounging and/or dragging me out from under a vehicle when it falls on me.

Is that one of the e: only pickem yards in the area? I don't know of any in Boston, but it could be just cuz I haven't asked around.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 10, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup. It's the old fashioned, semi unorganized, cars stacked two high, parts everywhere, rows of old commercial trucks and dumpsters full of scrapmetal hiding in the woods type of yard.

They used to have an all you can carry event in the spring and fall but I haven't heard about one for a year or two now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kastein posted:

Yup. It's the old fashioned, semi unorganized, cars stacked two high, parts everywhere, rows of old commercial trucks and dumpsters full of scrapmetal hiding in the woods type of yard.

They used to have an all you can carry event in the spring and fall but I haven't heard about one for a year or two now.

Oh I've been there. It's awesome. Once I went in with slippers and I was like, hmm, how long ago was my tetanus shot?

For a long time I had [check Holland's website for all you can carry sale] every week on Google Calendar, but I eventually gave up :(. I was gonna go then to get a spare and undented hood for my Crown Vic, but that car's gone now. If you see a white CV with its hood unbolted, that was my doing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There's also a you pull yard down in Worcester, it's called Sam's, on granite street. I go there often but they don't have much in the way of massive turbos.

Also in the Boston area is Everett's, it's in Brockton. There is a small place called Royals nearby and another one a few buildings down (same side of the road) that I forget the name of, but they are tiny and don't have much stock.

Up in Haverhill (where I grew up) there is Tony's but I don't think it is a you-pull.

Out near me (Southbridge) there is R M Constantineau's yard, but it's almost all REALLY old stuff. Aside from around 20 90s cars on one side, I don't think I saw anything newer than the mid 80s and he's got trucks all the way back into the 40s and 50s sitting around. He doesn't sell much and is suspicious of newcomers who aren't gearheads, but warms up once you get to know him. I spent something like 2 hours wandering around the yard just looking at all the trucks a few months ago. Nothing like walking around in a field of old 40s/50s Ford/International/GMC/Dodge iron, walking around a corner and suddenly seeing a pair of Jeep DJ5s sitting there. I haven't seen one of those in years, nevermind one in a junkyard.

There are some yards further west as well but I don't know them very well.

Anyways - tomorrow I intend to actually get some :krad: big rear end turbos at Holland's.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kastein posted:

If you see an S2000 let me know!

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003
This sounds awesome, so if you don't mind someone with a lovely car joining in on the fun (looking for a new one), I'd love to show up.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

schmagekie posted:

This sounds awesome, so if you don't mind someone with a lovely car joining in on the fun (looking for a new one), I'd love to show up.

I doubt it's shittier than my car... Nothing wrong with driving a heap.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Is that one of the e: only pickem yards in the area? I don't know of any in Boston, but it could be just cuz I haven't asked around.
There are few down here on the south coast. One in Freetown, and one near fall river, iirc. Don't bother with the one in Wareham, they suck rear end. Eighty bucks for civic trailing arms with shot bushings...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

schmagekie posted:

as long as it doesn't have :rice: you are more than welcome :getin:

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

kastein posted:

Also in the Boston area is Everett's, it's in Brockton. There is a small place called Royals nearby and another one a few buildings down (same side of the road) that I forget the name of, but they are tiny and don't have much stock.

It's Regal, right next door. A couple buildings down from Everett's is Brockton Auto Parts. If you venture down into Bridgewater/Middleboro there are 3 or 4 more.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

We tried out the thermite recipe last weekend. Sadly, apparently measuring it with a cut in half beer can and mixing it by shaking it around for 30 seconds in an old mcdonalds cup isn't accurate enough. I'll be picking up a good scale today or tomorrow hopefully... and a good ball mill, and some magnesium strip.

A drunken learning experience is still a learning experience, we had fun and that's all that matters.

As an aside, Kastein and Pipkin / Billy Tully are cool guys IRL, for anyone who might be wondering.

To keep updated on the upcoming event, for those of you not on IRC (synirc.net #newenglandai) The facebook group is @ http://www.facebook.com/groups/140031832792118/

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

schmagekie posted:

Haha - have you SEEN some of our cars?

ACEofsnett posted:

A drunken learning experience is still a learning experience, we had fun and that's all that matters.

As an aside, Kastein and Pipkin / Billy Tully are cool guys IRL, for anyone who might be wondering.

To keep updated on the upcoming event, for those of you not on IRC (synirc.net #newenglandai) The facebook group is @ http://www.facebook.com/groups/140031832792118/

:can:

Now how will we maintain the elite nature of our rust chat?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 10, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

commissargribb posted:

Now how will we maintain the elite nature of our rust chat?

Easy, just ban anyone who shows up because of this thread :frogout:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Until your car looks like this 600 miles away from home in a random parking lot... It's not a total shitpile

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ACEofsnett posted:

Yea, that was fun. For some reason (we forgot) we didn't buy a scale when we were at HF getting the magnesium, weren't even drunk yet either. Here is the video of the trial thermite run. Sorry about my dumb laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o91xCu6YEU&feature=youtu.be

For those of you that don't normally hang out in IRC and dont have a client just go to mibbit, launch app and put irc.synirc.net in the part that says "server" and #newenglandai in the part that says "channel". Come hang out, we don't bite all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

We're gonna make fireballs at NEAI-fest 2012.

In other news. Talk is in the works for the New England Forest Rally 2012.

ChrisGT and I are going. Possibly going to camp out. Camping and rally cars plus booze and BBQ.

• Locked thread