Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I dunno how I missed this, slow is fast even told me such a thread existed.

Hopefully I have my awesome failure of a car ready by this so I can drive it down there.
All it needs is a new rear end and fix the rust holes that are big enough to put my head through..

kastein's place sounds awesome, it should be held there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

SwashedBuckles posted:

I've got some camping stuff that's been gathering dust in storage so that sounds like a great time.

Also, I've been meaning to go to the New England Forest Rally for years; is anyone else on the fence?
I'm up for camping.

I'm over the fence. Slow is fast and I are going this year.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

If we have the meet at your place, hopefully my POS is running. It makes it most places jeeps and stuff go...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

I am not flat towing you back from mass, fyi

I've broken every part of the drive line, and most of the suspension at one point or another. And either had a spare, got a spare, or drove it home broken.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

For those wanting to take the rocks/dirt/big dumb truck route into Southbridge for this, I just ran it in 2WD in my MJ at around 20mph. It hurt, a lot, but it was a blast... and I'm 100% certain that almost any stock 4wd vehicle or tallish/awesome 2wd pickup will make it through.

I'm rebuilding the old GL! So maybe I'll take the challenge :D

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Muffinpox posted:

I'm kind of interested in this but I don't really want to pay $159 for someone else to drive me around in a road car. I wonder if you get to take the wheel and how long it lasts Groupon stadium supercar ride deal

In that link it says

quote:

The three-lap driving experience puts drivers behind the wheel of one of four luxury vehicles: an Audi R8, Ferrari, Lamborghini or Mercedes SLS Gullwing. Rides take place on June 15, 16,17, 22, 23, and 24.

So it sounds like you get to drive.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I just cut up a rusted out boat trailer... that's had some salt water love. I'll save some of the scrap metal :)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

This is going to be amazing.

I fully intend to spit fire with cheap liquor as well.

Is that how you're going to light the thermite?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

schmagekie posted:

This sounds awesome, so if you don't mind someone with a lovely car joining in on the fun (looking for a new one), I'd love to show up.

I doubt it's shittier than my car... Nothing wrong with driving a heap.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Until your car looks like this 600 miles away from home in a random parking lot... It's not a total shitpile

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

commissargribb posted:

Turns out VIP didn't tighten my alt belt because it's still loose as poo poo.

It's VIP, I can't say I'm really all that surprised.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hillridge posted:

I'm going to try and make it to this if possible.

I'd also like to offer my workshop in Nashua for future events. We have a 9000lbs. asymmetrical Rotary lift, lots of space, and within the next couple weeks should be getting a CNC plasma cutter that will do 3/4" steel or better. Hell, if any of you live nearby and want to drop by some night or weekend to use the facility, I'm there all the time.

I wanna see that CNC plasma cutter!!! That sounds badass.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

commissargribb posted:

They make excellent coveralls/wheeling clothes since they're ripstop and dark colored/patterned. Throw em on, proceed to soak yourself in transmission fluid, grease, dirt, 100 year old engine oil etc and take em off when you're done.

I do that in whatever cloths I'm currently wearing. Then get yelled at by my GF for ruining perfectly good cloths.

In her defense, she probably has a point. I just don't give a gently caress.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm in 100%.

ChrisGT and I will probably convoy down from Maine? Maybe hit some junkyards looking for subaru poo poo to throw in my gutted RS on the way down?

I'm bringing two cases of beer.

I'm up to head down whenever. I'll bring a tarp so I can throw subaru drivelines in the back of my car. As long as we can load them out when we get to kastien's. Both for paved road hooning and so I can sleep in my car.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You don't want to sleep in kastein's haunted house?

I'd rather not get asbestos poisoning.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Billy Tully posted:

Pick me up a sohc EJ25 if you are going to be stocking up on parts on the way down. I'll pay you in beer.

I already have dibs of the first seven. HAH.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

rear end, if I'm going to have two cars with SOHC's I'm going to need like 3 more.

I don't have any cars with 2.5 SOHC motors, in fact, only one of my cars has a SOHC motor at all.
So I need some 2.5 SOHC love too :D haha.

I'm still quite certain I could make a 2.5 SOHC work in the older DOHC cars.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

commissargribb posted:

This is probably one of the most AI pictures ever. Let's explore why:

It includes all the necessary things to work on any car. That's it guys, you can do anything with the tools pictured.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

Two grittys variety packs and a shipyard variety pack purchased. The girl at the supermarket rolled her eyes at me carrying three cases of beer at once. ChrisGT and I are on our way to southbridge.

It didn't help that a blurted out "It's saturday morning, this is perfectly acceptable."

That was a loving blast! (literally, in some cases (like the quiet fireworks)). When I find the loving usb cable I'll upload pics of my melted engine block.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

We'll start with this gem.

About as white trash as you can get, and it's awesome.

Here's some thermite..

That is (was) a subaru ej22 that seized due to oil starvation. It has around 350k miles on it.
I should also note the reason the bell housing is missing. And cyl #3 is a bit chewed up.
The engine seized connected to a loving automatic transmission. So I had to chop off the bell housing to get the torque converter bolts out.

We also had fun with the Oxy FUCKINGACETYLENE. Since subaru engines suck, the easiest way to remove the pistons is by torching the rods in half.

Since I haven't (yet) taken a picture of the thermite hole piston on it's own, you'll see it later with the quiet fireworks.

Here's a piece of melted engine block.

Oil pump after you fish it out of the firepit the next day.

Timing gear was stuck, so we cut it in half.

Here you can see some great things all in one picture.
Thermite hole piston
Quiet fireworks
and I loving HATE THIS PROJECT (alternately called Deck Beam)

What happens to a weed eater motor when you run it on acetylene. Poor fucker was tough. I hope someone posts videos. I was one of the whackos leaning over the engine making it run.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 13, 2012

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I wanna go too!

I'll take one of each part for both my cars. Then I'll have spares for a while.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

I have a running DOHC 2.5 from a 98 Subaru RS. It's currently in the car and will be sold on Craig's list, but I thought I would be offer it up here first.

Edit: I don't need the ECU or Harness, so you can take that too if you want to buy the engine.

I can tell you right now that Dan won't want it... BUT. How much? How many miles, etc?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

So how much should I list it for?

It's junk, just give it to me :D

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The frame on that video constantly moving around is making me sea sick.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Team rally jeep painted their jeep with chalkboard paint. So we wrote something goony on it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

the 15/16 weekend doesn't work for me.
The 8/9 weekend might be a squeeze, but I could probably make it.
The rest of sept is glorious.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Sounds good to me!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

TheFrailNinja posted:

Just gonna chime in and say that you should just get Rumple Minze if you're going to go down that road...

Bring some along, and maybe we will take that road...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

When is everyone congregating?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

ACEofsnett posted:

*Except Maine, no one likes Maine beer.

Yea, gently caress you.

Black88GTA posted:

Is Gritty's Maine beer? I liked the case I got last time :saddowns:

Yes, it is. Dan isn't going to be there. Lameass. But I can pick some Gritty's up for you in trade for yuengling, and then trade the yuengling to dan for letting me use spring compressors/torch when my suspension finally get replaced.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Deeters posted:

New York is close enough to New England, right? There's a road rally in Mt Kisco next weekend. I've done ones that this club has put on before, and they've been pretty fun, especially when my friend put his truck in a ditch trying to turn around.

NY goes by all the NE states, though if you live in Maine nothing is close... It's a good 6 hour drive from me.
Although, it does look pretty cool.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

I need a EJ25 SOHC for my 99. Grab one for me if you see it.

I thought you had a legacy?? Those are all DOHC in 99. Only impreza and fozzy got the sohc 2.5 in 99.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

Impreza RS

Oh right... Of course. It was late and my mind wasn't really turned on yet. Now it's early and my mind isn't really turned on yet. WE'RE GONNA HAVE FUN TODAY.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Tomorrow: Stafford Speedway swap meet in Stafford CT. Me, Billy Tully, and possibly a few others going.

Next Saturday (hopefully) - Sam's Pull-a-Part extravaganza in Worcester MA. Pulling a new motor for a truck and perhaps other things, it's the usual you-pull luck-of-the-draw type of situation so we could end up finding a few things no one remembered they needed, or could go home empty handed.

I'm probably going to be down there next weekend, assuming buying a new car goes through.... I'll need a LOLj22

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

Is this where you were trying to find EJ25s?

Yes, although the car I was looking at already sold. Typical dude on CL left the ad up. Now I'm after yet another wagon that just needs head gaskets. 5speed 2000 wagon. Yes please!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Owning a car with a sunroof... It's not that easy. The sunroof doesn't extend over the driver's seat, it's actually quite awkward to drive with your head out the sunroof. Not that it stops me.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Which RMV sites offer driving tests, and what routes do they take? I'm teaching my friend how to drive and he's a slow learner. He'd probably melt if he had to take the test starting from Chinatown.

Usually depending on where you live, they'll assign you to a specific one to take the test from.
So I'd figure out where he's zoned to take the test, they may give you some info on where their test route is. But likely not.

When I was teaching my sister to drive, we drove out to the dmv where she was gonna have to take the test from. Went through all the intersections around the dmv, practiced going in and out of the dmv parking lot, and parking in the parking spaces right there.

They do give you a list of all the stuff they make you do. Like left turns, parallel parking, backing straight up along a curb, all that stuff. Most of which nobody who drives a car can actually do...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

Neither have any of us.

I had to parallel park trucks for my CDL test, so now doing it in a car seems like a walk in the park. hah.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

March would be perfect, as i'll be flush with tax money and probably driving a redneck as gently caress new beater.

Yea, march is awesome for a lot of reasons. I suppose April would be good, too. After that I start getting really busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

Who's excited for junkyard run this saturday?

I know I am.

Don't get us almost kicked out Kastein.

This bitch is excited

• Locked thread