Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

- What is she eating
- Has she been stung anywhere / has any critters on her?
- Talk to your vet (you're already doing this but it can never be stated enough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can try giving them an oatmeal bath for now and see if that does anything. It worked for my dog when they went behind the shed and got skin irritation from some of the weird weeds back there. The vet will probably give you Apoquel which isn’t very good long term, the dog gets kinda dependent on it and once taken off they may be worse off than when they started according to my vet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dog shirts can help prevent hot spots from digging at it.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

hatty posted:

The vet will probably give you Apoquel which isn’t very good long term, the dog gets kinda dependent on it and once taken off they may be worse off than when they started according to my vet.

Ask about Cytopoint instead of Apoquel. It doesn't have the dependency issues. We just get it adhoc for our dog during the worst pollen months.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I spoke to the breeder, and she says there's no history of any allergies in the line.

But based on what I'm reading, , the places she biting and scratching: feet, flank, and rump, all sound like allergies... possibly dietary. Which sounds like it'll be super fun to try to figure out what it is.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Bananana posted:

I spoke to the breeder, and she says there's no history of any allergies in the line.

But based on what I'm reading, , the places she biting and scratching: feet, flank, and rump, all sound like allergies... possibly dietary. Which sounds like it'll be super fun to try to figure out what it is.

Start with chicken, it’s extremely common.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

We feed her dry kibble, but do treat with chicken sometimes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Could be a grain allergy. What kind of kibble are you using?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Bananana posted:

We feed her dry kibble, but do treat with chicken sometimes.

Is the kibble chicken based? It’s usually the processed stuff that’s the problem. My girl has chicken allergies and processed chicken is in so many dog products, even in many that are labeled as another “flavor”.

Anyway, your vet may be able to run some tests for common allergens also.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

- What is she eating
- Has she been stung anywhere / has any critters on her?
- Talk to your vet (you're already doing this but it can never be stated enough)

Eating: diamond High energy adult (per the breeder), same as she was on before us.

Itching developed in the past week, and we've had her for 6 weeks now, so i don't think its the kibble.

In the effort to keep her attention and interest in training, we've bought an assortment of treats to give her. From sweet potato to zumi training chews, peanutbutter to lamb tails.

Idk where to start. I guess stop all treats?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stop all treats, reintroduce one at a time without overlapping them. And repeat talk to your vet. Good luck

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I remember reading recently that environmental allergies are more common than food allergies even though that tends to be what everyone jumps to. Definitely talk to your vet about something to stop the itching, especially since its that bad. I'd start wiping down the dog's feet (and belly if it's a small dog) after coming in from running around outside and see if a bath helps reduce itching at all. If you want to start exploring food issues I'd try to remember what the last thing you added to the dog's diet before the itching started and go from there. Pick one treat for a few weeks and if that does ok try a second one and so on.

Also check all over for fleas. Butt chewing can be a flea allergy sign. My dog was exposed to fleas, didn't even really have them on him for more than an hour or two, and chewed himself silly for days afterwards.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dog help me, but I've joined the Corgi Club.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Stringent posted:

Dog help me, but I've joined the Corgi Club.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Get ready for the daily shedding.

The above is not a joke. But congrats, give that little cutie lots of love. :kimchi:

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
Figured now was as good a time as any to get my first dog. I've had her for about 2 months now and she's been shockingly easy from what I've heard about Aussies, aside from chewing on me still being more appealing than any of her toys or bully sticks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drat, she's cute AF.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
We dealt with insane itching with Sherlock. We ended up giving Sherlock Cytopoint for a number of months before cutting out chicken which did the trick. Our vet explained that when pets have allergies, it is most common (like almost always) an allergy to protein. Most commonly chicken.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I remember reading recently that environmental allergies are more common than food allergies even though that tends to be what everyone jumps to.

Yes, vet said same about environmental vs. diet. In our case it was a bit of both.

FWIW, Sherlock developed the chicken allergy. It's incredibly easy to avoid chicken based foods due to how common chicken allergies are.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJVreLSWk5M

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Got a puppy comin’ on June 30th, when it turns 8 weeks.

Mom is a rescue found on the street pregnant who looks like a cairns terrier with different ears, but it could just be some other terrier with some dachshund or something. And of course we don’t know what the father was. Anyway.

It’s my first dog, despite growing up in dairy country. Had a cat most of my childhood. My partner has had 2 dogs while she was younger but this’ll be our first real pet that’s “ours”. Because we’re white middle class Americans with no children and no plans for them we’ll be spending a disgusting amount of money and attention towards this thing. Southern California. Apartment.

I’m reading the two free .pdf books in the OP (before and after you get your puppy) and I’ve read up on clicker training etc etc. the first sees a little heavy handed when it comes to things regarding deadlines. ”if you dog hasn’t met 100 people by 8 weeks, and 100 more by 12, don’t get this puppy! It’s a lost cause” and whatnot. I’m assuming (hoping) that this level of seriousness is actually intended to put the fear of god in you to work your hardest at socializing/training your pup, rather than be a hardline go/no-go. Obviously the “meeting new people” thing is hard right now, and the foster home for this litter is probably doing their best but don’t have the resources or ability to do all the things the book says should be done by 8 weeks: fully housebroken, met 100 people, chew-toy only chewing, sit, lie down, come, shush, roll over, etc.

We’re locked into this puppy and I’m not asking if I shouldn’t get it or not, I’ll fully stay in that hole. I’m just making sure I don’t give myself supreme anxiety over loving it up. Maybe the second book is more “ok here’s how you unfuck your pup”, I haven’t gotten to it yet.

We’re gonna name it Sandwiches :3:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

tranten posted:

”if you dog hasn’t met 100 people by 8 weeks, and 100 more by 12, don’t get this puppy! It’s a lost cause” and whatnot.

This was discussed not too long ago and no, it's definitely not the case. Can you imagine, as a breeder, letting 100 people into your house that you have to vet first?. Simply doesn't happen. Similarly, it's also important that your dog meets people and other dogs the right way.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I frankly think that book should be removed from the OP. It’s outdated and bad.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Here are the things I posted the last time this concern was brought up:

quote:

Dog training has really shifted (or should shift in some cases) towards quality over quantity of socialization. You want your dog to experience new things in happy, relaxed ways at their own pace. Just shoving them at 100 people isn't going to be nearly as beneficial as letting them happily observe a handle of varied people in a way they feel comfortable with.

Here's some articles:

https://www.successjustclicks.com/socialization-its-quality-over-quantity/

https://denisefenzi.com/2013/07/socialization/

https://denisefenzi.com/2019/03/more-on-socialization/

Genetics also play a huge role! My working great pyrenees left my property exactly 3 times in her first 6-8 months. She met maybe a dozen people? I did zero conscious socialization work with her because I was focused on making sure she was bonded to my livestock and could do her job. Her breeder had a bunch of kids that played with all the puppies but they definitely weren't doing a puppy culture program or anything. Despite all that she's a totally bombproof dog. She's good with people at the farm, she's good with people in public, she's safe around young kids, she's fine with people in wheelchairs or that move in ways she doesn't expect. You can hug her, grab her paws, look in her mouth, anything you want and she's just happy someone is touching her. She was always going to be that way and I mostly just needed to keep her from having terrible experiences for her to live up to that potential.

So don't freak out if things aren't perfect right now. Do the best you can to teach your dog that new and weird things are not scary and try to enjoy them while they're little.

Here's what I linked about puppies during social distancing:

quote:

My vet behaviorist has been freaking out about the potential fallout from all the puppies not getting adequate socialization during social isolation periods so you're right to be concerned! A lot of dog trainers do online classes so check out one of those for week by week lessons and goals. Some places are also doing puppy socials without the owners, just make sure it's a place you really trust to handle your dog without you there. I'd trust my vet behaviorist's puppy socials but I probably wouldn't be dropping my dog off at petco or whatever and hoping for the best.

Here are some articles that might be helpful.
https://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/socializing-your-puppy-while-social-distancing

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/socialize-puppy-times-social-distancing/

If I were going to get a puppy right now I'd be doing a lot of sitting in the car and watching the world, going for outdoor walks in novel places, and doing lots of confidence building activities at home. Here is a less terrifying but more sports focused free puppy book if you want a different perspective.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The above is not a joke. But congrats, give that little cutie lots of love. :kimchi:

It really is not. Holy gently caress how do they generate so much hair non-stop gently caress.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

So, my puppy is really weird about eating, to the point that it's starting to worry me. He'll eat kibble gladly, but only if it is from my hand, the floor or the grass. And it can't be more than 2-5 pieces available at any time. Any more than that and he just scoffs at it and walks away. I've tried learning him to eat from a Kong and from a bowl, but with little success. I try to wait between the feedings, hoping to get his appetite up, but that doesn't seem to do much either. Today I mixed the kibble in the bowl with warm water. He quickly lapped up the smelly water, but when there was only kibble left, he quickly lost interest. And he hasn't eaten properly yet today, so surely he should be hungry?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I haz new pupper. His name is Rocky and he's adorable.

Of course he's taken a liking to the gross rear end pillow we were going to get rid of.

gently caress I've tried for 20 mins to post the pic gently caress it.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Wanna rub dat belly

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My stepson actually trying to interact with Jade. He’s autistic so the fact he’s even trying is a milestone :3:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CeramicPig posted:

Wanna rub dat belly

He loves belly rubs. Today was his first full day at home and he spent part of it running around with my very rambunctious children.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I haz new pupper. His name is Rocky and he's adorable.

Of course he's taken a liking to the gross rear end pillow we were going to get rid of.

gently caress I've tried for 20 mins to post the pic gently caress it.

It’s good for him to like the gross one because he will turn the good ones gross in no time! Cute pupper! Congratulations. Rocky is a good name for a good dog

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

My stepson actually trying to interact with Jade. He’s autistic so the fact he’s even trying is a milestone :3:

I hope this can become a generative friendship someday!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Looking for recommendations:

In an effort to reduce itching we'd like to move away from the Seresto collar.

Any good alternatives for flea prevention?

Factors to consider: we have a housecat that has zero flea prevention, as she is indoor only.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

We’re adopting an 8-week old Lab on Saturday, super pumped and also nervous as hell!

A few concerns:

-We have two cats; one is a total coward (whom I’m not really concerned about), but the other is very much an ‘alpha’ cat who has chased after my sister’s Chihuahua a few times (though the Chihuahua has snapped at the cat in the past as well). We plan on feeding them on opposite sides of a baby gate to start, and rubbing towels on each of the animals and putting said towels under food bowls to get them used to each other’s scents. Any other tips that might help the process?

For what it’s worth, the pup has been living with a cat since he was born and has never had any issues according to the foster.

-Are Nylabones still recommended? I’m seeing lots of negative reviews on Amazon with pictures of bones that have been crafted into devices resembling prison shivs.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 22, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

My Labrador likes to chew on everything BUT her nylabone.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Looking for recommendations:

In an effort to reduce itching we'd like to move away from the Seresto collar.

Any good alternatives for flea prevention?

Factors to consider: we have a housecat that has zero flea prevention, as she is indoor only.

I use a combination heartworm/flea prevention. I was using Advantage Multi, which is topical, then switched to Trifexis/ComboGuard chewables when everyone tested negative for heartworms. My dogs are good at pills so I like the chewables better. I do cut the pill for one of my dogs because she's a princess.

Rock My Socks! posted:

-Are Nylabones still recommended? I’m seeing lots of negative reviews on Amazon with pictures of bones that have been crafted into devices resembling prison shivs.

Mine love making shivs. Just take them away when they get too short and pointy. Nylabone also makes a ring. I didn't think mine would like it but they do. They haven't been able to turn that one into a shiv yet.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So it’s OK for them to consume little bits of the Nylabones?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't think the nylabone's going to do any more harm than the sticks, plants, and dirt that my dog already eats.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My understanding is the pieces that come off the Nylabone are "chewed off", small and not sharp, as opposed to other materials that can splinter into sharp or large pieces. That being said, I'd go for the single color Nylabones because the Multi color swirl ones have a higher possibility of splintering along where the colors meet.

And, yes, my dogs also chew on things that do splinter, like sticks and tables, and eat things like rocks and acorns.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My dog used to eat the nylabone stuff and it would make him throw up, so maybe watch for that, we stopped buying them because of that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I avoid nylabones at all cost. Look for something natural if possible. Plastic shards are never good for a dog to ingest. I would much prefer them chew on a stick or something that will break down over time. Plastic lasts forever. Also, most nylabones are too hard for puppy teeth. If they are soft, it wont take long before your dog is chewing it apart.

Overall, I just avoid nylabones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Verman posted:

I avoid nylabones at all cost. Look for something natural if possible. Plastic shards are never good for a dog to ingest. I would much prefer them chew on a stick or something that will break down over time. Plastic lasts forever. Also, most nylabones are too hard for puppy teeth. If they are soft, it wont take long before your dog is chewing it apart.

Overall, I just avoid nylabones.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Eating little bits of plastic can’t possibly be good in the long run.

We got some elk horns from PetSmart on the recommendation of a friend. poo poo’s expensive but it seems a little more natural. Are these OK?