Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Bananana posted:

What about one of them there Shiba inus? Or is it the Akira? One of them is mid sized, and lower energy, I think.

Fake edit: Akita.

Both are pretty high energy and need a ton of training. Akitas need a job to do or they will eat your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
Sharpeis might fit your need, they're pretty chill. When we got ours, the breeder told us they were the dog breed closest to cats in terms of general behavior, and I can definitely see it. She only needs 2 walks a day, and she just sleeps in various spots around the house the rest of the time. She still enjoys play time and she'll come and see what we're up to every once in a while, so we're still getting the whole "owning a dog" experience, but she's very low maintenance when it comes to giving her stuff to do.

Obligatory pic because I just can't help it:

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Aesthetically it isn’t there for me, but every I’m reading about them sounds like a good fit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

vs Dinosaurs posted:

size matters when you live in an apartment

Well, obviously if you don't have room for dog crate, yes, but a Great Dane is perfectly adaptable to an apartment.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, obviously if you don't have room for dog crate, yes, but a Great Dane is perfectly adaptable to an apartment.

The combination of size and energy is probably the more specific call out, for sure. Same with greyhounds.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Anyone got any tips for mentally stimulating ways to play with a puppy? Every book tells me it's very important, especially for a Spanish Water Dog, but few give any concrete examples of what to do. We try to work on some commands, and we hide treats for him to sniff out.

Here's our boy:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Puppy found a nice rotten frog corpse to roll in. I've shampooed her twice, but she still smells of it. Any suggestions to get the smell off?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is Tomato bath a real thing?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alcatrash posted:

Anyone got any tips for mentally stimulating ways to play with a puppy? Every book tells me it's very important, especially for a Spanish Water Dog, but few give any concrete examples of what to do. We try to work on some commands, and we hide treats for him to sniff out.

Here's our boy:

Sounds to me like you're on the right track; might look into a treat blanket or other treat-dispensing toys, and keep up commands.

Also isn't a Spanish Water Dog just an Aqua Dog :thunk:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Stringent posted:

Puppy found a nice rotten frog corpse to roll in. I've shampooed her twice, but she still smells of it. Any suggestions to get the smell off?

Baking soda?

I think baking soda is in the anti-stink shampoo that I picked out for dogs when I had them bathed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bassets are pretty chill once you get through housebreaking them.

They aren’t the type of dog you teach to sit or play with though. They cuddle and sleep and eat and sniff and that’s about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How dumb is it to get a (small) dog in like, a 370sq ft apartment with an upstairs?

Its not in my lease, but I'm sure I can ask my landlord to see it my way, since she allows cats and has three (had four) cats of her own on her side of the building (it's a duplex).

My primary worry is the stairs, but I haven't had a dog of my own for a long time. I am just kind of thinking about it and wish I could have one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How dumb is it to get a (small) dog in like, a 370sq ft apartment with an upstairs?

Its not in my lease, but I'm sure I can ask my landlord to see it my way, since she allows cats and has three (had four) cats of her own on her side of the building (it's a duplex).

My primary worry is the stairs, but I haven't had a dog of my own for a long time. I am just kind of thinking about it and wish I could have one.

It will depend on the dog; both the breed and the individual dog's temperament. My Yorkie is not energetic at all and would be fine in a small area. She can also do stairs and jump up on the couch and bed although it's getting harder in her old age. I got her some foam steps for the couch because she hurt her paw a couple of times jumping down from the couch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm generally of the opinion that the size of your apartment doesn't matter so much as long as they're sufficiently stimulated, be it exercise outdoors or games indoors.

Within reason, of course.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When you say “small” dog, what are you considering small? A 10-15 lb dog, I’d say go for it as long as you have a place to go for short walks. Anything over 30lbs you might be pushing it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

When you say “small” dog, what are you considering small? A 10-15 lb dog, I’d say go for it as long as you have a place to go for short walks. Anything over 30lbs you might be pushing it.

There's a dog park down about a 15 minute walk from my apartment. I am not really locked in on the breed itself.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Personally the time and attention you have to spend on the dog are more important than the size of the living space. Do you work 10hr shifts? Commute 2 hours each way? Travel away for weeks at a time? Furloughed from covid with no job to speak of so who knows what the future holds?
Don't get a dog.

If you work reasonable hours and can dedicate 2-3 hours per day to waking and playing with your new friend, that's the ticket.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I work right now about 50 hours a week from home, for however long that lasts. I don't know if I'm going back to 40h weeks at work (10m walk from home) next month or months from now.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

We've had the dog for just over a year, and this finally happened.

We think my wife being work from home really accelerated this process; the cat pre-dates me, and her presence really gives him a lot of confidence (and incentive; he clearly prefers her lap).

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I work right now about 50 hours a week from home, for however long that lasts. I don't know if I'm going back to 40h weeks at work (10m walk from home) next month or months from now.

Ok so what will you do for the time you are at work? Will you have a dog walker, will you use doggie day care, will you come home at lunch etc etc. Probably not a good time for toilet training a puppy, as that can take months to stick for a whole work day.

(I will raise my hand and admit we leave our dog for 8 hours or more but that was not the way it began. We used day care, and worked different shifts, but life blew THAT up long before covid 19. She's old now)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I adopted adult dogs and didn't have to do too much housebreaking.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Dog went back to his owner last night. Dog was not excited to see the owner and was hesitant to get in his car (whereas he would willingly jump into mine).

Wondering if these are signs of abuse or something else? He’s had the dog for 8ish months.

I’ve been weighing puppy vs adult dog for my own situation. From spending 5 days with this dog here is my list of things that you can relatively quickly change even with an older dog (10 months):

Easy
1. Leash reactivity/pulling
2. Diet
3. At-home energy level and acceptable behavior
4. Pissing inside

Hard
1. Reactivity to other dogs
2. Trauma-based responses to certain stimulation or situations

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Dog went back to his owner last night. Dog was not excited to see the owner and was hesitant to get in his car (whereas he would willingly jump into mine).

Wondering if these are signs of abuse or something else? He’s had the dog for 8ish months.

Dog might have just been having fun with you.

My hound dog doesn't want to go home with me when I pick her up from doggy daycare. She walks out to reception area with the staff, says hi to me, then wants to go back in the playroom with the other dogs. She's a dork. She's been once since quarantine and she hopped right in the car when the staff brought her out. She also never wants to leave the dog park.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So we've run into a hiccup with our new 4-month-old puppy I introduced about a page or two ago. This is a little wordy but I'm trying to be detailed.

Like I said, she's very strong-willed, stubborn, and smart. Her little black spots are becoming more visible and we're wondering now if she's got English setter in her. Anyway, main problems have been biting, crate training, and housebreaking. Biting and housebreaking are improving thanks to tips from this thread and others.

The screaming in the crate, though. We have two crates, one in the bedroom and a larger one that used to belong to her brother in the living room. I'm working from home so we don't have to daytime crate her often except for when I go out for groceries or whatever. Initially she would just shriek and scream and bark and we could hear her over the Alexa drop in. That seems to be improving the more we do it-- but night time is an issue. When we first got her we'd put her in her big girl crate and she would scream nonstop, but we got her a smaller one so she would feel more secure, and threw in an old t-shirt and one of those little plush puppy friends that has a heartbeat, and that seems to have helped... until recently.

A couple weeks ago we scaled up to a slightly bigger nighttime crate since she's growing like crazy and she continued doing well. We put her in it for a car ride on Thursday which wasn't super fun for her but she got over it at night. Then last Sunday I put together a new dresser for the bedroom. The crate sits next to it. Both nights since then, she's reverted to shrieking inconsolably. My wife would even take her to the couch until she fell asleep, but the instant she transferred to the nighttime crate she howled and screamed.

I know they say "just let her scream it out" but a) she literally will not stop for at least an hour and my wife can't handle that, and b) we don't want to put her in a different room and exacerbate the anxiety. What could have happened to trigger her regression? And how do we fix it?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a 1/4 husky that sheds like crazy when the seasons change. Does anyone have a handheld vacuum or other tool they'd recommend for picking up hair from car upholstery?

Edit: dog tax

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Toebone posted:

I've got a 1/4 husky that sheds like crazy when the seasons change. Does anyone have a handheld vacuum or other tool they'd recommend for picking up hair from car upholstery?

Edit: dog tax

No tips for upholstery- I try to get my 1/4 husky into the shower to work out some of the hair? She, uh, tolerates it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've just accepted the fact that my car will forever be covered in fur. Also folding the rear seats down helps.

Have you tried the good old fashioned method of just wrapping tape around your hand and patting your seats down? Essentially like a lint roller

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Husky and Shepherd hairs are just wonderful little needles of joy that weave themselves into all fabrics. It isn’t enough to just settle on top of the upholstery, no, you must become part of it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So it's been 45 days or so after losing my beloved Reggie at 8 from a sudden hemangiosarcoma followed by almost 3 months of good times after his emergency, life-saving surgery. I always knew I'd get another dog, but working from home and having a big backyard is just too much to have all by myself. I've realized that I just need a dog in my life.

I had an incredible experience with Reggie, who was a Singleton puppy, who was well-behaved and friendly his whole life. I got Reggie at six weeks and never had issues curbing any tendencies like mouthing excessively or biting.

Anyway, the same AKC breeder, from whom one friend has also obtained a GSD, had a litter 1 day after Reggie passed away. I met the dogs and picked one out yesterday.

He says they'll be ready on Monday, but by then they'll only be 7 weeks old. I told him I can pick him up next Thursday at the earliest, which would put it at about 7.5 weeks.

I've recently been brushing up on puppy stuff, and I was surprised to see how much vitriol people had regarding this question of 6 vs 8 vs 10 weeks.

Is 7.5 weeks really going to be a concern? My plan was to ask him to call me when the last pup is picked up, providing maximum socialization time. Would it be detrimental for him to be with the mother, but without litter-mates if other people pick their dogs up early? The breeder likely won't mind holding onto Reggie for another week, I'm sure.

I will be as diligent an owner as I was with Reggie, and I think I should be able to curb any possible bad behavior w/r/t mouthing, etc, as I will be around a lot to monitor him.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Husky and Shepherd hairs are just wonderful little needles of joy that weave themselves into all fabrics. It isn’t enough to just settle on top of the upholstery, no, you must become part of it.

That was one of the most baffling things about having a GSD. :psyduck:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I should probably post the dog

I'll be naming the dog Indiana

I didn't take any good pics bc I was too afraid I'd be distracted all week just staring at them

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dang, condolences and congratulations all in one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

It's been a whirlwind, but I'm really having a difficult time living alone with nothing else breathing in the house.

I have a supportive family that can assist, and I just need a best friend again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's been a whirlwind, but I'm really having a difficult time living alone with nothing else breathing in the house.

I have a supportive family that can assist, and I just need a best friend again.

I feel ya. Lost my girl right at the beginning of this virus poo poo and she was all I had here and kept me going after the worst year of my life. Everything just looked and felt so bleak being alone. I’m glad friends and family encouraged me to bring home a foster I’d looked after as an emergency last year. Poor dude has had like 7 owners in his 3 years, but hopefully now nothing but stability for both of us.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Does anyone know of a large pinch collar that has a clasp? I've only seen the kind that slip over the head, but I recently rescued a good boy that has one that clasps. The collar is unfortunately falling apart, and I'd like to replace it. My wife likes putting bandanas and stuff on it, so the clasp is kind of important.

Aha, it seems I should be searching for a Martingale Collar. Found what I need.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 16, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TheBigAristotle posted:

So it's been 45 days or so after losing my beloved Reggie at 8 from a sudden hemangiosarcoma followed by almost 3 months of good times after his emergency, life-saving surgery. I always knew I'd get another dog, but working from home and having a big backyard is just too much to have all by myself. I've realized that I just need a dog in my life.

I had an incredible experience with Reggie, who was a Singleton puppy, who was well-behaved and friendly his whole life. I got Reggie at six weeks and never had issues curbing any tendencies like mouthing excessively or biting.

Anyway, the same AKC breeder, from whom one friend has also obtained a GSD, had a litter 1 day after Reggie passed away. I met the dogs and picked one out yesterday.

He says they'll be ready on Monday, but by then they'll only be 7 weeks old. I told him I can pick him up next Thursday at the earliest, which would put it at about 7.5 weeks.

I've recently been brushing up on puppy stuff, and I was surprised to see how much vitriol people had regarding this question of 6 vs 8 vs 10 weeks.

Is 7.5 weeks really going to be a concern? My plan was to ask him to call me when the last pup is picked up, providing maximum socialization time. Would it be detrimental for him to be with the mother, but without litter-mates if other people pick their dogs up early? The breeder likely won't mind holding onto Reggie for another week, I'm sure.

I will be as diligent an owner as I was with Reggie, and I think I should be able to curb any possible bad behavior w/r/t mouthing, etc, as I will be around a lot to monitor him.

Condolences on the loss. Thankfully puppies are pretty good at getting your spirits up! One of my dogs was 7.5 weeks when we got him and had/has some quirks, particularly separation anxiety, but he was also a rescue rather than having had a stable early life with a breeder. I would say as close to 8 weeks as possible if you can but it sounds like you’ve already got a pretty good plan for success.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Stringent posted:

Same.

That's a good looking gsd pup

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Condolences on the loss. Thankfully puppies are pretty good at getting your spirits up! One of my dogs was 7.5 weeks when we got him and had/has some quirks, particularly separation anxiety, but he was also a rescue rather than having had a stable early life with a breeder. I would say as close to 8 weeks as possible if you can but it sounds like you’ve already got a pretty good plan for success.

It looks like it will be 7 weeks, but I'm playing it by ear. Two of the males are unclaimed, and I don't believe everyone is picking theirs up immediately. If there are puppies still left in the litter, the breeder says he's happy to hang onto Indy for some more time with his buddies. But honestly, I was pretty good with Reggie at 6 weeks controlling his mouthing and such. And now I'll be home all the time early on, which should help keep him busy and happy.

So my plan is to shoot for next Friday morning if other buyers pick their pups up on Monday, which is like 6 weeks and 3 days or something. Friday which will be 7 weeks, and I'll have a 3 day weekend to really work hard on getting comfortable with me and doing the regimen of play, going out to pee, napping, going out to pee, eating, going out to poo, every few hours

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

We’re in love with Finn, our 10 week old Lab/Beagle mix.

Except for the biting; the loving biting. He bites frequently, and sometimes quite hard (he’s never broken skin, but he has come closer than I’d like).

We’re following all the instructions online (either stick something else his his mouth or ignore him and walk away when he bites), but I don’t really feel like he’s getting better. Is part of the process just waiting it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Due to some unfortunate circumstances in the owner’s life, I have been caring for a large husky puppy for the week. I’ve never owned a dog, though I’ve been learning and considering taking the plunge seriously for about two years.

Caring for this husky has helped me understand a couple of things that I needed to experience first hand to clarify. Dog energy is a significant factor (huskies are hopefully an extreme example of this), size matters when you live in an apartment, and dog trauma is real.

There have also been a lot of affirming aspects of caring for this dog: I enjoy the responsibility of caring for the dog, exercising 3-4 times per day is realistic and enjoyable for me, and the presence of the dog brings me a lot of joy.

My takeaway here is that I want a puppy, the dog will be medium sized and low energy, and I am confident that I can succeed in the task at hand. Timing is still a bit of a question mark.

Fake edit: another comforting thing has been the intuitive element of dog care. They really let you know what they need, and it’s very easy to communicate back what you need.

There’s a funny story from last night’s hike that I might write up later too.

Get qualified to foster through your local dog rescue and let them know what you are looking for in terms of size and temperament. Look for something lab/golden/ mixed with something smaller like a beagle or corgi or whatever. Foster until you fail and adopt the doofus yourself.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 18, 2020