Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GoodBee posted:

My hound dog had a note that she had a bladder adhesion when she was spayed. That turned out to be a non-issue. She was at least a year old, probably closer to 1.5 years. She'll hold her pee forever if the weather is bad.

The little girl was estimated to be around 2.5 years old when I adopted her but potentially as old as 5. I honestly have no idea how I would have differentiated between her being incontinent and peeing in her sleep vs a behavioral issue if I didn't witness her peeing (on me) while she was clearly sleeping and I was awake. It was pretty easy to send her pee off for a UTI test, which came back negative. I don't have any advice for figuring out if your dog dog has an incontinence problem except let her sleep on you for hours while you watch TV. If she pees on you while asleep, she might have an incontinence problem. Anyway, she was on Proin and it was okay but then I got her on the Proin Extended Release and it's been great.

As an aside, anyone use a muzzle? Apparently I can drop off hound girl and dude bro and they can have a vet visit or any sort of grooming (bath, nails, ears). Hound girl also likes doggy daycare. Little dog is apparently a vet tech biting monster. She's fine if I go in with her but she apparently has a tiny fit if I don't. I got her a basket muzzle. It looks 3D printed and she'll wear it pretty much forever in the house with me. Any muzzle tips?

The regular Proin has been working fine so far. She was on Estriol (I think) for a few weeks when she was first diagnosed but it was giving her aggression issues. She’s normally very sweet so it was obviously the medication. But yeah, we first realized something was wrong when she would just be laying down or even standing getting pets and just start peeing. She didn’t even realize she was peeing. Our vet said that it’s very common with females that were spayed early. Something with the hormones that would normally help develop sphincter control aren’t present after the spay so it never fully develops. In any case I’ve just accepted that she’ll take a pill every day for the rest of her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dango Bango posted:

My first time fostering a dog I plan to adopt if things go well. He's a 3-year-old lab mix from a county shelter. He's underweight and the shelter told me they were feeding him "whatever kibble was donated" but weren't specific.

It's still the first full day with him, but he's only eating a little kibble (like three bites) at a time and has been pretty lethargic all day outside of our walk.

I'm hoping it's just nerves being at a new place. Seems like he's warmed up to me as he came up, leaned against me, and gave me a bunch of kisses. But he doesn't want to do much other than lay down.

I wouldn’t worry too much right now. Rule of thumb: 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months for milestones. In any case, he should have a vet checkup relatively soon; shelter dogs often end up with giardia or other parasites.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Do any of you have dogs that you can have a meal in front of without them getting stressed out? My puppy is always antsy and barky during our meals. Is there any specific training she should be doing for this, or is it something that puppies will grow out of, or are we just gonna get barked at during meals for the next decade+?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dango Bango posted:

My first time fostering a dog I plan to adopt if things go well. He's a 3-year-old lab mix from a county shelter. Housebroken and knows a few commands. Seems to be really smart too. That said, he's underweight and the shelter told me they were feeding him "whatever kibble was donated" but weren't specific.

It's still the first full day with him, but he's only eating a little kibble (like three bites) at a time and has been pretty lethargic all day outside of our walk.

I'm hoping it's just nerves being at a new place. Seems like he's warmed up to me as he came up, leaned against me, and gave me a bunch of kisses. But he doesn't want to do much other than lay down.

Sounds like a reasonable adjustment behavior, laying low and trying to avoid causing a ruckus. I’d guess after a week or so he’ll start to warm up and unwind, and then the play comes out.

kalthir posted:

Mine goes after birds and lizards and digs for mice, and is occasionally reactive towards people.

In my experience the downsides are a short-term increase in excitability and an increase in prey drive that lasts for several days. The upside is that it significantly reduced her reactivity threshold for several days, and also makes her basically ignore everything else around her, allowing her to peripherally experience stuff that makes her anxious while she's being positively reinforced by the hunting.

Another side effect that probably isn't linked to this, but is definitely strongest with prey, is resource guarding from other dogs.

Well, I ran him up and down a dang mountain yesterday on top of his exercise session today, so it’s hard to say exactly how it may have impacted him. This afternoon he’s been more quick to go bananas at a delivery person or some such, but was also way more chill on our walk, like he’s especially protective of the home while being worn out enough to relax out and about. In summary, dogs are a land of contrasts and I have no clue.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Sounds like a reasonable adjustment behavior, laying low and trying to avoid causing a ruckus. I’d guess after a week or so he’ll start to warm up and unwind, and then the play comes out.

This makes sense given he's been giving me a lot of sheepish looks. He actually just ate a bit more and did play around a bit!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
For pee removal I used to use Nature's Miracle but they changed the formula to have an overpowering perfume aroma. It still works but in my opinion it smells awful and gives me a headache, so I'm switching to Rocco and Roxie brand. I recommend putting it in a spray bottle.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stringent posted:

Do any of you have dogs that you can have a meal in front of without them getting stressed out? My puppy is always antsy and barky during our meals. Is there any specific training she should be doing for this, or is it something that puppies will grow out of, or are we just gonna get barked at during meals for the next decade+?

I assume the association here is with food, you could try positively reinforcing the pup with treats for increasingly longer periods of calmness. Maybe pair it with the command "stay" and just make a habit of telling the pup to go stay before dinner.

Not a dog trainer of course, but I have had decent success with positive reinforcement and trying to enforce a routine with commands. My dogs leave us alone during mealtimes unless the newer puppy is feeling extra spirited which I assume is also just a puppy thing.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is there a benefit of getting a puppy at 10 weeks vs. 8? My family has a three year old dog now, and we are thinking of getting a new pup since we think our current dog would benefit from having another pup in the house (and, I mean, who wouldn’t want two dogs??)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The ankle biting is getting ridiculous. Redirecting doesn't seem to work, as our ankles are way more interesting than her toys. We yelp and walk away if she keeps doing it, but she thinks it's a game and chases after us when we walk. Any ideas?

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
apologies for probable repeat but looking for good info on grain vs grain free food

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend a good food/treat based toy that can keep a husky/akita occupied for a while? We've tried Kong toys in various sizes but he's become too good at getting the stuff out of the smaller one piece rubber ones and he's broken the plastic two piece one.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Extensive Vamping posted:

apologies for probable repeat but looking for good info on grain vs grain free food

I didn't check that this link was still good.

GoodBee posted:

This explains it pretty well. It looks like FDA page has been archived.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-fdas-grain-free-diet-alert/

As far as I know, you still want meats as your main ingredients.

I switched my dogs off of grain free to a chicken and rice dry food. Mine don't have any digestive issues or food allergies though.

GoodBee posted:

... aside from grain allergies, there's no evidence that a grain-free diet in general is better than a diet that includes a moderate amount of grains.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Anjow posted:

Can anyone recommend a good food/treat based toy that can keep a husky/akita occupied for a while? We've tried Kong toys in various sizes but he's become too good at getting the stuff out of the smaller one piece rubber ones and he's broken the plastic two piece one.

Stuff the toy with food/a bit of peanut butter, keep it in the freezer.

If you're looking for something a bit more chew focused, yak milk bones were great for us. Our dog never really took to rawhide, and yak milk bones are pretty long lasting.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My "shut up" toys are the Kong Genius toys:
https://www.kongcompany.com/genius-mike
https://www.kongcompany.com/genius-leo

stuffed with some combination of:
https://fruitablespet.com/dog-treats/baked-treats
https://fruitablespet.com/dog-treats/skinny-minis
https://www.castorpolluxpet.com/dogs/recipes/organix-organic-cookies-peanut-butter-flavor?id=93

I never plan ahead to freeze a regular Kong and I hate cleaning them, even though I know I can run them through the dishwasher.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

GoodBee posted:

I didn't check that this link was still good.

Thank you

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

GoodBee posted:

My "shut up" toys are the Kong Genius toys:
https://www.kongcompany.com/genius-mike
https://www.kongcompany.com/genius-leo

stuffed with some combination of:
https://fruitablespet.com/dog-treats/baked-treats
https://fruitablespet.com/dog-treats/skinny-minis
https://www.castorpolluxpet.com/dogs/recipes/organix-organic-cookies-peanut-butter-flavor?id=93

I never plan ahead to freeze a regular Kong and I hate cleaning them, even though I know I can run them through the dishwasher.

Thought these looked great, and one happened to be on sale at the store. 5 minutes after first loading it,

I swear, he does these things just to spite me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Posted earlier about the dog I'm fostering in hopes of adopting. I'm really bummed but it doesn't seem like a good fit. Kind of asking for a more experienced / expert opinion here to be honest. He's got serious separation anxiety where he follows me everywhere and gets stressed within seconds of me closing a door between us (circling/pacing, whining, and panting).

I thought we were making progress yesterday with getting him to lay down in the room with a line of sight to my home office (staying for 5, 10, then 15 minutes with a treat each time he made it). But I might have pushed him too hard today after wearing him out with a morning run. He's followed me even closer and has seemingly been stressed all day - ears pinned back and sad look in his eyes. (Like he's being scolded or punished - no matter how cheery my tone is.) He did play a bit, but right back to the sad look once we came back inside.

Any thoughts from the thread? I'm willing to work with him but I'm worried I'm out of my depths and his issues are getting/going to get worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s something I need to work on with my boy too. I’m hoping he’ll grow out of it, but he hates being away from me (unless it’s his choice to go into a different room and sleep). He gets so worked up if I have to go to the store or something, it’s so lucky that I’ve taken him into work from day 1 and he’s become a fixture of the office now. I can’t blame him, he’s just over 3 years old and I’m his 7th owner. I took him to the groomers and he probably thought it was going to a shelter due to the dogs in crates and he was utterly heartbroken and crying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The first day I brought my foster home, I realized the shelter had forgotten to give me a bag of dog food like they said they would. Not wanting to leave the pup at home by himself on his very first day in a new environment, I took him with me when I drove back to the shelter. He was very sad the whole way, especially when we pulled into the parking lot and he recognized the surroundings. He calmed down a bit once we started to drive away but I knew that he 100% thought he was getting returned. Fortunately his mood improved once I shoved some peanut butter in his mouth after we got home.

That said, it has been two weeks now, and he still cannot spend any time apart. He follows me from room to room — even if he's sleeping next to my computer desk, he'll bolt upright immediately whenever he hears me get up from my chair, and he'll follow me to the kitchen, sit and wait as I prepare a quick meal or refill my drink, then follow me back to my home office. The only time he stays in the room he is in when I walk away is if he's hyper-focused on getting treats out of one of his toys. But sometimes he'll just pick up the toy and bring it with him to the room I'm in and continue working on it there.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My new rescue is showing some separation anxiety as well. So I'm all for talk about how to train him to handle this better. I'll mostly be home with him 100% but as Covid wains I will eventually have to be gone for up to 4 hours and it would be nice to get him to a place to handle some of these absences

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Any thoughts from the thread? I'm willing to work with him but I'm worried I'm out of my depths and his issues are getting/going to get worse.

He's been with you for three days, right? I think the recommendation is to give an adopted dog at least two weeks to acclimatize to the new environment. That said, there's no guarantee that the separation anxiety will go away or even lessen in that time period.

As for general advice, I used the safe word method and it's been working fairly well so far. But it's a very slow process for us (a couple of months of 3-4 repetitions a day to get to about 30 minutes). The idea is to have a word or phrase that tells the dog that you'll be coming back, starting with minuscule amounts of time (and distance), and building up very gradually. For example since my pup also followed me from room to room at first, we started with just leaving the room, coming back immediately and treating. Then extending the time spent out of her line of sight. Then closing the door after leaving. And only then actually leaving the house. However the dog should be calm all the time, so if they get up to follow you at any point (except when you return), you need to roll back the amount of time you're away. And vary the time you're away so they don't start anticipating your return. The trainer I worked with also discouraged using any commands when leaving since a stay/lay down in that situation coerces the dog into staying in place, whereas the idea is to make them ok with you leaving and choose to stay where they are in that situation.

kalthir fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 27, 2020

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The guide recommends short play, followed by outside time, followed by a nap. What would "short" mean for an 8 week old Springer Spaniel?

Re: crate training, our little Nova will play near and in the crate with treats, but when left alone in the crate she cries (only a couple of days in). Should I let her cry it out?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
For those with Separation Anxiety dogs please get Patricia McConnell’s booklet “I’ll Be Home Soon”. It was a big help with our SA dog but it takes a lot of patience. Remember that getting left at the shelter and living in that environment is very traumatic and can take years to get over.

If left alone, poor Noodle would freak out and break her teeth on the bars in a crate, so that solution was out. In the house she’d rip down the curtains and chew the window moldings, in the car she chewed the seatbelts and seats... it took a year of training before we could be gone for a half hour. She had a bad case but she did improve with a lot of training.

What ultimately “fixed” her was getting another dog buddy without that problem. She takes her cues from him and he doesn’t worry when we leave so she doesn’t much either. We are occasionally gone for 8 hours during the day and though she does get pretty rambunctious when we return, we don’t come home to total destruction anymore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Are there specific things to look out for with dogs playing with each other? My new puppy (labradoodle, 18lbs at ten weeks) and my older dog (8 yr old, 45lb jack russell mix) are playing with each other a lot -- which is great! -- but the energy levels keep escalating and I find myself worrying they might hurt each other accidentally.

Omne posted:

The ankle biting is getting ridiculous. Redirecting doesn't seem to work, as our ankles are way more interesting than her toys. We yelp and walk away if she keeps doing it, but she thinks it's a game and chases after us when we walk. Any ideas?

We had the same problem. I've been keeping treats in my shirt pocket and encouraging him to sit instead when he wants attention. That coupled with exaggerated yelping and "no" seems to be working, but it's ongoing.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

TimWinter posted:

The guide recommends short play, followed by outside time, followed by a nap. What would "short" mean for an 8 week old Springer Spaniel?

Re: crate training, our little Nova will play near and in the crate with treats, but when left alone in the crate she cries (only a couple of days in). Should I let her cry it out?

I believe the rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month age (twice a day) for exercise. Based on the dog's disposition during both play and outside time (i.e. if they go zooming about when outside and also like intense play), you may have to judge that across both activities.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are there specific things to look out for with dogs playing with each other? My new puppy (labradoodle, 18lbs at ten weeks) and my older dog (8 yr old, 45lb jack russell mix) are playing with each other a lot -- which is great! -- but the energy levels keep escalating and I find myself worrying they might hurt each other accidentally.

The main thing to look out for is whether either one of the dogs is trying to genuinely get away or end the "fight". Play fighting often has a bouncy, floppiness to it. A playing dog will cut corners and pull punches. They'll inhibit their bite, purposefully "lose" mini tussles (even when in the dominant role) and flail their head about like a drunk. If either of them have (or develop) a pointedness about their actions it's worth keeping a closer eye and consider stepping in. The main thing I watch for is whether the submissive* of the two still seems eager to engage once the playing is interrupted (which is not neccessarily you physically intervening, but could just be shifting their attention briefly with a command or distraction).

If either of them likes "throwing paws", I'd just make sure their nails are trimmed/filed to reduce the chances of any accidental eye scratching/poking. In my experience (not with mine thankfully), a real fight gets very loud very quick.

*I dont mean submissive overall, just within the context of the play fight. I have two 11-month old Patterdales (Puppy and Smudge) and when they fight, Puppy always takes up the submissive role (by rolling over, getting "caught" when chased etc.) while being the more dominant one outside of playing. Some other dogs will swap roles throughout play.

My pair (Pup left, Smudge right):

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TimWinter posted:

It's a really delicate balance. You don't want to let her out when she cries, because you're teaching her "crying leads to escape." On the other hand, you don't necessarily want to let her cry it out because keeping her in a distressing situation for extended periods runs the risk of poisoning the crate, making it an intrinsically bad place to be.

Standard advice is to build up the amount of time she's locked in there. The smallest steps are, like, latching the door and treating her through the bars. Then you get to latching it and standing next to her, then staying in the room, then leaving the room, for the barest amount of time - if 10 seconds is all she can take, start there. And just build up from there.

When you inevitably overshoot and she becomes distressed, you wait a beat to see if she'll calm herself (again, you don't want to reward crying). If you do need to let her out, wait right outside for any break from the crying at all, then come in right when that happens. If possible, don't open the door until she's calm again, sitting, watching you. She'll paw at the door and maybe bark with excitement, but again, you don't want to reward being high energy in the crate.

Commiseration, we badly hosed up crate training with our girl. We had some semblance of it, but then we were leaving her for too long too often, including letting her cry it out overnights, and it poisoned the crate for a while there. We had to reset completely, and it took maybe 2-3 months of work for it to be a place where she's happy to stay for a while.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Speaking of crates I've been seeing two bits of advice on crate positioning and I'm wondering which I should follow.

On one hand, I'm reading that I should setup the crate alongside a pen in a high traffic area (e.g. my living room) to help associate the crate with just being the place to be. On the other, I'm seeing I should have the crate either in my bedroom or nearby (which would be a different floor from the living room) so I can hear if the puppy needs to go out at night. What should I be doing?

Setup in the living room and have the puppy sleeping there and set some alarms to wake up and check?
Setup a pen in the living room and the crate in the bedroom area?
Move the crate between the two areas? This one seems like a pain, having to drag a metal crate up and down a flight of stairs...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Question:

We have always had neighborhood cats that like to pass through and even lounge in our back yard.

As poundcake, our now 7 month old labrador, kept getting bigger, faster, and developing her Beefy Bark, I kept thinking eventually the neighborhood cats would stop their habit. But as Poundcake has gotten worse and worse about chasing madly after them, I'm getting more and more worried I'm gonna get the nightmare fuel of my dog catching and killing a cat.

For the record,, while id like to teach her not to chase cats, idk if that's even the issue
We HAVE a cat. So I don't think it's Cats per say.

Any advice? My current thought is its a prey thing PLUS a territory thing.

Thoughts?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Question:

We have always had neighborhood cats that like to pass through and even lounge in our back yard.

As poundcake, our now 7 month old labrador, kept getting bigger, faster, and developing her Beefy Bark, I kept thinking eventually the neighborhood cats would stop their habit. But as Poundcake has gotten worse and worse about chasing madly after them, I'm getting more and more worried I'm gonna get the nightmare fuel of my dog catching and killing a cat.

For the record,, while id like to teach her not to chase cats, idk if that's even the issue
We HAVE a cat. So I don't think it's Cats per say.

Any advice? My current thought is its a prey thing PLUS a territory thing.

Thoughts?

I've got neighborhood cats that have hung out in my backyard. I just have the dog sit and stay while I go out and make sure one is not around. I'd close the door and scare the cat away first, then let the dog out. But that cat hasn't been hanging around since I got the dog.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yo, taking the puppy for his first vet appointment today. Any general advice on what to ask them about? We’re apparently not even meeting face to face because of COVID shenanigans.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Goodpancakes posted:

Picked up this super chill amazing foster dog. He supposed to be house trained but he's taken to peeing on a wall in my kitchen. He's probably 2 years old, and since he's moved in yesterday, has maybe marked that wall three times. It's not a physical issue, I know he can hold it for a while, but he's obviously a street dog without training. I'm taking him out and celebrating and treating him if he eliminates outside. This is my first foster. Is there more to be done? I've got a pad down now to help keep this floor from staining but I don't want this to be a solution

Since this post he hasn't eliminated in the house, even over night as long as 7 hours. It feels like he gets it and saves it up for his many walks. I verbally celebrate his peeing outside but I don't treat him anymore since he marks 20+ times on some walks.

He does, however, pee all over the PetSmart. Is there something more I should be doing other then walking him frequently and positive training when he goes outside?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Goodpancakes posted:

He does, however, pee all over the PetSmart. Is there something more I should be doing other then walking him frequently and positive training when he goes outside?

PetSmart is completely rotten with dog scents and pee. It's a weird environment and I wouldn't worry too much about unusual dog behaviors there so long as they don't transfer to other, nicer places.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any particular recommended dog nail trimmer? Are the grinders worth it / do they work?

Puppy claws are just *so sharp*

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got a set of clippers as well as a grinder. My understanding is (please correct me if I'm wrong!) you don't take off much length with the grinder, its more about making them not be like sharp knives attached to their paws.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
My puppy is six months old. When he is in the back yard he likes to pick up and chew pieces of much. He does this every time he goes outside, like some kind of fixation.

When I see him do it I wrestle the mulch out of his mouth because I am afraid it will harm him if swallowed.

Annoyingly, this means I feel that I can't let him into the yard without very close supervision. I'd like to be able to let him out to go to the bathroom without having to watch him like a hawk.

He doesn't like giving up the mulch so sometimes this devolves into me following him around the yard while he tries to shield his piece of mulch from me. I don't yell or run after him, I try to be calm and matter of fact. I do not want him to associate me closely with uncomfortably grabbing his mouth, scarily chasing, etc. (It's actually kind of funny to watch me slowly follow him around asking politely to take a toy instead of his mulch.)

1) Am I correct in assuming this is potentially harmful?
2) What suggestions do you have to abate this behavior?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Welp, my foster has diarrhea. The nightmare scenario (him letting it go inside the house) hasn't happened yet but he wakes me up twice a night now for potty breaks.

The shelter said I should start feeding him white rice to "settle his stomach", and I don't know what that means or whether it will actually help, but I also don't know what else to do at this point. It has been 48 hours...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

enraged_camel posted:

Welp, my foster has diarrhea. The nightmare scenario (him letting it go inside the house) hasn't happened yet but he wakes me up twice a night now for potty breaks.

The shelter said I should start feeding him white rice to "settle his stomach", and I don't know what that means or whether it will actually help, but I also don't know what else to do at this point. It has been 48 hours...

Bland diet is instead of his food, feed him a mix of 1/3 boiled chicken and 2/3 boiled white rice (equal to the amount of regular food you'd give) until the diahrea goes away. If it doesn't go away in a day or two, he probably has giardia or some other parasite and needs a vet. Then phase his food back proportionally into the mix slowly over the course of a couple of days.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Bland diet is instead of his food, feed him a mix of 1/3 boiled chicken and 2/3 boiled white rice (equal to the amount of regular food you'd give) until the diahrea goes away. If it doesn't go away in a day or two, he probably has giardia or some other parasite and needs a vet. Then phase his food back proportionally into the mix slowly over the course of a couple of days.

Yeah, I'm worried it might be a parasite. I'll email the shelter if he still has diarrhea tomorrow.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I'm worried it might be a parasite. I'll email the shelter if he still has diarrhea tomorrow.

My puppy had a parasite after adoption, needed to go to the vet. It wasn't too expensive.

Vet said this is incredibly common and harmless as long as it's treated.

Since he was going every few hours, I set up his playpen next to the couch and put pee pads all over the floor. I slept on the couch and let him outside every time he woke up at night, and all the time during the day. It wasn't hard, just required vigilance.

I also gave him chicken broth to make sure he stayed hydrated, since it's mostly water with a little chicken flavor to keep him interested enough to drink lots.

Good luck :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My puppy had a parasite after adoption, needed to go to the vet. It wasn't too expensive.

Vet said this is incredibly common and harmless as long as it's treated.

Same. My most recent pup had a bit of coccidia when we adopted him. They gave me a weeks worth of anti parasitic pills and it was only like $30 for the visit and pills.

Cleared right up after starting the chicken and rice plus the anti parasitic.