Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Question about puppies barking when home alone.

What sort of corrections is he having you do on a baby puppy? You are your puppy's entire world, while independence is a good thing to teach a puppy I don't think ignoring him for days on end is a great way to go about it. Does he have things to be doing independently? Does he eat meals in puzzles or frozen in toys? Can you tether him someplace away from you while you're relaxing and have him practice chilling with a chew nearby but not interacting with you?

Turds in magma posted:

So the PI pet food thread is long gone - I'm sure there's been food chat in this thread. I've got a new puppy on the way - labradoodle - and haven't had a dog in ~15 years. What's the latest and greatest? Wet? Dry? Do we have some awesome new understanding of dog nutrition that says OMG NO RICE, or rice good?

There is a new pet food thread, pet food is still just as complicated as ever. Legumes are the new thing to avoid due to a DCM scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hi, here's an unsolicited dog photo

We're increasingly convinced she has demodectic mange. She's going to the vet in 10 days, but in the meantime I get to call her a mangy mutt.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What sort of corrections is he having you do on a baby puppy? You are your puppy's entire world, while independence is a good thing to teach a puppy I don't think ignoring him for days on end is a great way to go about it. Does he have things to be doing independently? Does he eat meals in puzzles or frozen in toys? Can you tether him someplace away from you while you're relaxing and have him practice chilling with a chew nearby but not interacting with you?

My corrections are mainly 1.) don’t chew on that chew on this instead 2.) don’t bark when you’re behind a puppy gate and 3.) grabbing him mid-pee if he accidentally goes inside.

What he suggested is that for those few days I feed him, take him outside for walks, and practice some commands. Other than that I stay near him but just let him do his own thing without interacting other then when I need to.s He said I should only pet him when he is calm and sitting/laying down. I have tons of toys and peanut butter kongs and stuff like that, so I would leave those out for him. I think the objective is to teach him that he can just go play with those things anytime he wants without me directly interacting with him.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I am going through the exact same thing with my puppy, Yorkshire. We get into this unhealthy dance where he chews on things he knows he shouldn’t in order to provoke a reaction (re: “play”) with me while I direct him to a toy in the area that he should be chewing.

He is too big and strong for puppy pens, as I recently learned when he leaped over the side of a 30” gate. My currently plan is to remove everything from my bedroom except for the crate, my bed, and a couple of toys and not give him attention except for under the circumstances you described above.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

3.) grabbing him mid-pee if he accidentally goes inside.

Did this to Ruby yesterday. She didn't give a poo poo, she just kept on peeing, 5 feet up in the air, held vertically. The two of us together made a bizarro indoor fountain.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

cruft posted:

Did this to Ruby yesterday. She didn't give a poo poo, she just kept on peeing, 5 feet up in the air, held vertically. The two of us together made a bizarro indoor fountain.

This is an amazing image. What are you working on with her in general, and how old is she?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

vs Dinosaurs posted:

This is an amazing image. What are you working on with her in general, and how old is she?

It reminds me of a French bulldog I saw once, who pissed by walking up to a wall, going up on its front legs, and walking alongside the wall while pissing with its hind legs in the air. Got a solid coating on probably 3-4 yards of wall, from a dog that couldn't have weighed more than 15 pounds.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It reminds me of a French bulldog I saw once, who pissed by walking up to a wall, going up on its front legs, and walking alongside the wall while pissing with its hind legs in the air. Got a solid coating on probably 3-4 yards of wall, from a dog that couldn't have weighed more than 15 pounds.

Too strange to be fiction.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://youtu.be/aF02roMiN5Y I think this might have to be the most impressive dog peeing strategy I've ever seen

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Yeah, it was really something.

She's maybe 9 months old now. Things we're working on right now:

• Going potty outdoors
  • Telling us she wants to go out
  • Not having mange
  • Not being a total rear end in a top hat at night when we try to move her
  • Playing and running around like a hyperactive idiot without suddenly panicking into a cringe
  • Ridding the neighborhood of trash trucks (this is really more her goal than mine)
  • Not darting in front of me on a walk and then freezing in a cringe because she's worried I'll kick her (self-fulfilling act right here)
  • Cuddles

I'm happy to report that we're making progress on all fronts!

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the repot. I am comforted to hear that we share many challenges, and that it gets better!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Checking in on Kepler, my now-11-month(ish) year old lab/border collie rescue.

Separation anxiety is still extreme. We have a nighttime routine that eventually allows my wife and I to both go to bed, which is a luxury we didn't have the first two weeks:

- Go outside for "potty finale"
- Put cookies in his Kong toy and put it in his crate
- Give him night-time pets and put him in the crate
- Turn out the lights
- Mom and Dad settle on the sofa in the same room as the crate
- Watch a TV show (currently consuming Taskmaster at one episode per night)
- One parent sneaks upstairs
- Wait until Kepler stops whining at the noises upstairs
- Other parent sneaks upstairs
- Pray that he stays settled, or the barking at least stops after a few minutes

During the day, we still can't both leave the room at the same time without him crying, howling, and barking. Even if he's not in his crate. We've tried several different things, but nothing has worked. We started online Zoom sessions with a trainer yesterday to work on this specific issue.

Otherwise, he's starting to get more comfortable with boundaries and routines. We still have some "rear end in a top hat puppy" behaviors like leash-biting, shoe-stealing, and that sort of thing, but it continues to improve over time.

He's also crazy loving smart. He can learn commands with very little repetition -- my wife taught him "through" (walk through our legs) yesterday in about five minutes, and this morning he did it with me with no treat offered.

Right now our big project is learning "wait" (at exterior doors), and evolving it to where we don't even have to give him a command to have him wait for an "okay" to exit. I can now open the back door, and he'll almost always wait for my go-ahead. If I actually say "wait", I can even throw a treat on the back patio, and he'll just sit there staring at it until I tell him to go get it.

The front and garage doors, not so much yet. He got out into the neighborhood while my wife was bringing in groceries over the weekend, and we spent half an hour chasing him. Fortunately, one of the neighbors noticed and offered to bring her dog out on a leash, which got Kepler to come over to say "hello" long enough for me to grab him.

He's an rear end in a top hat and I love him.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Memento posted:

Neo-Assyrian pack of tiny clay painted mastiffs, from 650 BC. Inscribed with their names:

quote:

Catcher of the Enemy
Don’t Think, Bite!
Biter of His Foe
Loud Bark
Expeller of Evil

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

I love that humans don't, fundamentally, change. I mean, sure, we've got all of our bad and maladaptive survival strategies, but on the other hand we also have dogs and great big dicks on cave walls and stuff. :3:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

"expeller of evil" is not actually a guard dog, just a very farty boy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I promise he enjoys the bellyrub - he paws me angrily if I stop

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are Greenies bad for dogs? I see a bunch of old rear end articles from like 2006 about them getting lodged in dogs throats or not being digested right, but I see them everywhere at pet stores. Bought some for Gobi and he chewed it right up, but now he’s doing a kind of weird shaking/trembling groove so I’m looking back through all the new stuff Ive given him over the past few days and saw those articles.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I have this ramp for my old dog. He's 76 lbs and it's still going strong after a year. I did follow some of the review's suggestion to add carpet to it but honestly part of the carpet has fallen off and the original grip isn't causing any issues. It's kind of clunky for when I need to use it to get him into/out of the car but a corgi is probably a lot easier to just pick up for car rides.

Stringent posted:

Hey, I'm a huge Teddi fan so post some pics/vids of whatever you get set up. :)

So, follow-up from this, we got the above ramp and it's super sturdy and looks like it would be a pretty good support for a dog easily several times the weight that Teddi is (hell it supports my weight). The problem is he's absolutely terrified of the thing (I even left his favorite treats on it and he won't go near it) so, uh, back to the drawing board.

After a few weeks he's starting to recover from his recent injury and is putting weight back on his rear left leg again. At the prompt of an ex-neighbor I added glucosamine supplements to his diet but I have no idea if those are actually helping or not.

That said we also just tackled a move which was really stressful for him, it's his first move ever, but once he got access back to his bed and toys he's been super content at the new place.

Huge props to our movers who saw he was stressed out and unpacked his stuff before they let us into our new apartment (COVID restrictions and all). Since then he's been introducing himself to the dogs of the building and the new staff and has otherwise been adapting well while he's been recovering.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Looks like a happy Teddi

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Puppy is doing better every day. I think he has an issue with stimulation, because a couple of times per day it’s like a switch is flipped and he goes into loving crazy energy no rules mode. I think this happens when he is over stimulated, but I’m not sure.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Puppy is doing better every day. I think he has an issue with stimulation, because a couple of times per day it’s like a switch is flipped and he goes into loving crazy energy no rules mode. I think this happens when he is over stimulated, but I’m not sure.

This is usually when they're overly tired but refuse to stop moving. Totally normal puppy stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTfh-E2xMHU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
This is Ollie:

He's about 11 weeks old, possible Lab/Border Collie mix. He's poorly today and off his food. Vet wouldn't do his shots today, and prescribed chicken & boiled rice to eat sprinkled with a probiotic supplement.

We've had him for two weeks today and I'm worried about the poor little bitey bastard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh my goodness, he looks like trouble :kimchi:

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that he ate something he shouldn't have. Hopefully once it makes its way through his system he'll be better.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hobnob posted:

This is Ollie:

He's about 11 weeks old, possible Lab/Border Collie mix. He's poorly today and off his food. Vet wouldn't do his shots today, and prescribed chicken & boiled rice to eat sprinkled with a probiotic supplement.

We've had him for two weeks today and I'm worried about the poor little bitey bastard.

:swoon:

Lab and border collie...lol good luck :)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ollie is such a cutie!

Tried taking my guy to the dog park today for the first time. It was crazy busy and none of the people there were wearing masks so we never actually went in. Plus he's been reactive on-leash so I really want to take it slow.

We walked along the fence and worked on "look at me" instead of him lunging and barking at the dogs. He did really well! Still don't quite trust him to go in yet, but we at least got to the point where we were right next to the fence and he was ignoring dogs and focused on me.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dango Bango posted:

Ollie is such a cutie!

Tried taking my guy to the dog park today for the first time. It was crazy busy and none of the people there were wearing masks so we never actually went in. Plus he's been reactive on-leash so I really want to take it slow.

We walked along the fence and worked on "look at me" instead of him lunging and barking at the dogs. He did really well! Still don't quite trust him to go in yet, but we at least got to the point where we were right next to the fence and he was ignoring dogs and focused on me.

If you can, really try to go on an off time where it isn’t busy. Bringing an unsure dog to a bush dog park can be a recipe for disaster.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If you can, really try to go on an off time where it isn’t busy. Bringing an unsure dog to a bush dog park can be a recipe for disaster.

Oh for sure. I've been really leery about dog parks anyway, especially with all the new pandemic dog owners. He actually does do well in open play boarding so I'm hopeful. But it's gotta be a manageable situation.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Been a long process looking for breeders, researching training, and waiting out the pandemic, but we finally got our first look at our staffordshire bull terrier pup today.

We wanted a female, but the litter is all males. Our long term hope was to get the dog registered as a therapy dog so that my girlfriend could take her to work for her interviews with abused children, and I felt pretty good about our odds with a female, but now I'm more concerned. I guess we'll just get him neutered, socialize the hell out of him, and hope for the best with his temperament. It'd be nice to be able to bring him around children and other dogs without having to worry about him, but we'll see. Now I gotta pick out a new name too. :argh:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

acidx posted:

Been a long process looking for breeders, researching training, and waiting out the pandemic, but we finally got our first look at our staffordshire bull terrier pup today.

We wanted a female, but the litter is all males. Our long term hope was to get the dog registered as a therapy dog so that my girlfriend could take her to work for her interviews with abused children, and I felt pretty good about our odds with a female, but now I'm more concerned. I guess we'll just get him neutered, socialize the hell out of him, and hope for the best with his temperament. It'd be nice to be able to bring him around children and other dogs without having to worry about him, but we'll see. Now I gotta pick out a new name too. :argh:

Balls aren't going to make a dog from a good breeder that produces dogs with solid temperaments aggressive. I probably wouldn't bet on any terrier, especially the bull terrier breeds, to be amazing with strange dogs but going to a breeder who understands your needs improves those odds. They're all pretty big squishes around people though :3: There is not much evidence at all that neutering reduces aggressive behavior and some studies show the opposite effect so I would talk to your breeder and vet about when the best time to neuter would be.

Good luck with your future puppin! I hope we get lots more pictures!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

After a rough night with much throwing up, Ollie is feeling better now, and in fact can't understand why he can't eat all the chicken and rice at once. Here he is trying to see if any more food is in the offing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Glad to hear he's feeling better! And acidx, good luck with your puppy!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My poor rescue pup came with a broken tooth and it has to come out. Poor guy is gonna go under the knife :(

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Balls aren't going to make a dog from a good breeder that produces dogs with solid temperaments aggressive. I probably wouldn't bet on any terrier, especially the bull terrier breeds, to be amazing with strange dogs but going to a breeder who understands your needs improves those odds. They're all pretty big squishes around people though :3: There is not much evidence at all that neutering reduces aggressive behavior and some studies show the opposite effect so I would talk to your breeder and vet about when the best time to neuter would be.

Good luck with your future puppin! I hope we get lots more pictures!

Huh, I had heard the majority of dog bites were from non-neutered males, but I believe that was in a book about pit bulls that I'd found some other incorrect information in as well. Good to know. The breeder is definitely on the same page as us, and the dogs are bred predominantly as companion and family dogs rather than as working/agility dogs or to look intimidating, so I feel good about him with 2 legged creatures. 4 legs remains to be seen. It will be a while until we get him, but when we do I'll post about our progress.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Glad to hear he's feeling better! And acidx, good luck with your puppy!

Thanks!

acidx fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 28, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's a total crapshoot on how neutering affects your dog. I've had dogs that showed absolutely no behavioral differences after neutering. Willis on the other hand has show no attitude differences BUT has basically no sex drive at all. Once the latent testosterone burned off he hasn't humped anything in months

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My male has been neutered for literally a decade and still wanted to hate gently caress my female when she was in heat before she was spayed. If I could have extra neutered him to get him to just chill the gently caress out I would have. He also will bite other dogs and people so neutering definitely didn't stop that.

I'm sure there's a correlation of intact males biting people more often because at least in the US if you're a "responsible" dog owner you were expected to get them neutered as soon as possible so the dogs that were intact were generally owned by people who also didn't train or socialize them or get them from good breeders. I doubt the balls themselves were actually the problem, except in possibly encouraging roaming which would put them into contact with more strange people to bite.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hobnob posted:

This is Ollie:

As someone who has a 5 month old Border Collie puppy, I have to warn you: BCs are really, really smart dogs and are very likely smarter than you. He's gonna need a ton of mental and physical stimulation. On the plus side, they are tremendously loyal and will learn just about anything no matter how old they get.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm pretty sure Ruby has Demodectic mange. If I posted a photo of my dog's head, would anybody in here be able to give an opinion? I know it's not the same as a vet, but our vet in saying it's ringworm and we're not seeing itching or redness, I guess I'm looking for a second opinion FROM THE INTERNET.

The photos might be kinda disturbing to people who love dogs, so I don't want to disturb anybody by posting them here without asking first.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

My poor rescue pup came with a broken tooth and it has to come out. Poor guy is gonna go under the knife :(

My hound had to get a tooth removed when I adopted her. She wasn't so miserable. Vet said to just add water to her dry food to helps often it up and she seemed fine.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

cruft posted:

I'm pretty sure Ruby has Demodectic mange. If I posted a photo of my dog's head, would anybody in here be able to give an opinion? I know it's not the same as a vet, but our vet in saying it's ringworm and we're not seeing itching or redness, I guess I'm looking for a second opinion FROM THE INTERNET.

The photos might be kinda disturbing to people who love dogs, so I don't want to disturb anybody by posting them here without asking first.

Did the vet take a sample to confirm? I don't know if that is standard or necessary though. My cat had ringworm when she was a kitten almost 18 years ago. Hers wasn't presenting as a ring, just a rough scaly patch, but they took a scraping and we treated for ringworm.

I definitely couldn't tell you anything from pictures but they wouldn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I kind of fell in love with a dog at a boxer rescue yesterday. I didn't bring her home right then because she's aggressive towards other females, and there are a lot of dogs in my neighborhood. Is that aggressiveness something that can be trained out of a 1-year-old pup, or am I better off looking for a dog that's been socialized better? I've had dogs most of my life but have never run into this problem before, so I'm not quite sure how big an issue it is. I don't want to terrorize my neighbors every time we go on a walk.

It was a little hard to take pictures of her while walking.