Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Can confirm, my red heeler's heels are red.

Her new pants came in and we are both equally excited about how cute they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

:staredog:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Why did you burn their heels!?

They do it to themselves because they haul rear end.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

lmao she's mortified

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Can confirm, my red heeler's heels are red.

Her new pants came in and we are both equally excited about how cute they are.

Okay, I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but what the, and I can't emphasize this enough, gently caress?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Maybe she has incontinence issues? :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Or in heat

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She's an intact show dog and needed new pants because she sleeps in my bed now that my senior dog has passed and I don't want her bleeding on my sheets when she's in heat. She hated the ones I had that you had to thread her tail through so I ordered her a new design that just crosses over her tail and she's much happier, despite the look on her face. The cute piggy fabric is just a bonus because her nickname is the swine. I was trying to explain the design to some other dog show folks and took pictures to show them. Sorry if dog pants freaked you out I guess???

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh its a dog maxi pad

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A friend of mine has a dog who has to wear a little doggy diaper 24/7 because he lost bladder control due to a nerve issue and it’s a dice roll on whether or not he can tell you he wants to go to the bathroom before he just goes for it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Am I the only one who had the Thong Song pop into their head when those pics were posted? :v:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dango Bango posted:

Am I the only one who had the Thong Song pop into their head when those pics were posted? :v:

lmao Thongs for DogsTM also came highly recommended from my fellow weird dog ladies and Scout has a glittery blue pair, but wrestling them onto her with the dang tail hole was such a pain. She's got big ole thunder thighs so she really does need the high cut britches though.

They're patented!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lol I might have to think about getting one of those for my dog after her next pregnancy. She had bloody discharge for ages afterwards.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

iris sleeps on my bed too and i was not prepared for the bloodening

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater now wears diapers 24/7 because his double combo of panniculitis and untreatable staph infection* means the drainage tracts on his rump constantly ooze varying combinations of blood, pus or liquified subcutaneous fat. It loving rules constantly arguing with myself on whether to put him down even though he seems to not be in pain.

Oh and I discovered this week that his ear infection last year made him almost completely deaf. Hooray

At least he looks good in black.

(* He was seen by UC Davis' dermatology department and the only antibiotics which have a chance of working would likely destroy his liver and kidneys, owns)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

She hated the ones I had that you had to thread her tail through

You have a solution but in case anyone else needs some, I find they fit a lot better if you cut through the elastic surrounding the tail.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

hahaha

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I'm on holiday currently, and my 9 month old gremlin dog Holly is also on holiday at Maria's house. Maria is a friend of my mum's and incredibly good with dogs. As in, her flat coat retriever was a fricken wonder dog and my mum joked that I may get Holly back far better behaved than when I left her.

Well, Holly seems to have lead Maria to despair also in that all the techniques that worked with her last dog do not work at all on Holly. Or at least, don't work the way she would expect them to, so she's had to come up with new techniques.

Apparently Holly is clever, confident, and if you give her an inch she'll take a mile... Which are all things I told Maria the week before we left her with them.

I'm feeling a little vindicated by Maria's updates, because they are mostly in the format of [cute picture of Holly] followed by [description of something exceptionally challenging she has done that day].

E.g. Digging, sock-stealing, and she attempted to counter surf some dinner last night.

Maria's had her a little over a week and is making progress with training her coz she's retired, meaning she can pick multiple hills to die on and not have to worry about getting back to work. It's impressive, but who knows if that'll transfer over to us when we get her back.

Anyway, it's sort of a relief to know it's not just me and Mr Froglet being woefully inept at training our goblin dog.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
X posting

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket got a bad haircut and part of it was trimming his eyebrows in such a way that he always looks sad.
And because they didn't trim his beard enough he looks like he's frowning. Not happy with the new groomer because I paid like double the normal fee for a haircut half as good.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

That dog has seen some poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are you sure it’s the haircut doing that to his expression and not that he’s actually just as sad as you about how lovely it is?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are you sure it’s the haircut doing that to his expression and not that he’s actually just as sad as you about how lovely it is?

Yes. It's the downward slope they cut into the eyebrows.

Here's his last hair cut. If you cut the eyebrows flat he doesn't look as sad.
And if you cut them angled

He'll look super happy when his mouth is open, and super angry when it's closed

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We had a brilliant herding lesson on Friday. The trainer was really impressed at how much she improved from her last lesson, Scout must have spent all week thinking about moving sheep. The only hard part was there was a new baby lamb in a pen right next to the arena and Scout absolutely adores babies. She kept stopping work to go give the baby googly eyes :3:

Next time I get a foster dog I've got to look for some young puppies for her instead of a crabby pants older dog.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

My beautiful dream girl, I've been waiting nearly 15 years for. Meet Mabel. We have no idea what breeds her muttiness actually are. My girlfriend did one of the DNA things for Christmas so I'm waiting on those results.

The paper that the humane society gave us says "shepard / xxx" and we are thinking Boxer / Terrier maybe, or Shepard, Boxer, Terrier.

edit: jesus words

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 24, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hi mabel! :luca:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Black mouth cur?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today we were looking at dog training where they board the dog and one of the add-ons was for five bucks a night they'll give your dog a belly rub and a treat.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

HootTheOwl posted:

Today we were looking at dog training where they board the dog and one of the add-ons was for five bucks a night they'll give your dog a belly rub and a treat.

Should be doing that anyway imo :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Should be doing that anyway imo :colbert:

I don't know why they don't and if they didn't why they would advertise they don't.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The place I board mine has that, as well as kongs and such for extra add ons. I imagine it's not included as most dogs will be stressed or nerodic and not care about an extra pet while alone in a kennel.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I guess it’s probably different for a board and train which is I’m assuming a small local business.

My daycare/boarding place includes a Kong with peanut butter for overnights.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Be super careful about board and trains, a lot of bad poo poo has happened to dogs when the owners aren't seeing them regularly. Most of the time it's the person who needs training more than the dog anyway.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I wasn't going to but he needs something to make him ok with people coming in the house. We're trying to bring home baby and he can barely handle my dad who he's seen plenty and stayed with a few times.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't know why they don't and if they didn't why they would advertise they don't.

To me that reads like the place uses aversive training methods, so "treating the dog nicely" is an optional add-on.

Be super careful about board and trains, a lot of bad poo poo has happened to dogs when the owners aren't seeing them regularly. Most of the time it's the person who needs training more than the dog anyway.

Yeah, this. While I agree it's generally "owner training" rather than "dog training", I think that doesn't always consider different people's life circumstances or how training a dog into something solo may take a lot of time and have many setbacks. Like, ideally I'd train Holly entirely on my own, but I have time, energy, physical and mental limits, I can't remove all stimuli from our home, and sometimes an external party such as a dog trainer may be better equipped for teaching or at least starting to teach Holly to do (or not do) something.

While I've never sent her to a board and train place, I mentioned earlier I'm on holiday, and left Holly with my parents friend, whose past dogs have all been exceptionally well-trained and cared for.

According to my parents, Maria has done a wonderful job training her, yet I imagine it's simply because she's retired and therefore has more time and energy for training our loveable gremlin dog. She doesn't have constraints like office hours or needing the dog to shut up for meetings, and doesn't have to pick and choose which hill to die on that day because there's only enough time for one of them.

Do I think I'm getting back a wonder dog? Absolutely not, but I think her time with Maria may have helped lay some of the foundations we kept accidentally ruining because we were busy/distracted/time poor/etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pavlov found some landscaping fabric in the back yard and snagged a claw on a scrap of the stuff. I had to use scissors to get it off, and afterward discovered that the nail has split all the way down and is barely hanging on. Fortunately, it's a side split and there's no blood, so I don't think a vet visit is going to be required. Which is good, because it's been less than a month since I was finally able to take the cone off of him after getting surgery to remove a lump on his eyelid. :negative:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I may have posted about this before, but I am still baffled by this issue.

I picked up a rescue 3 year old Dutch Shepard about two months ago. She is generally very well behaved, is obviously house trained, and knows a few commands.

She has developed a habit of peeing in her crate, as in she is loose in the house, then intentionally goes into her crate and pees, then licks the pee up.

She always goes through the night fine without peeing for 8+ hours. I take her out regularly during the day. She obviously understands house training because she immediately pees and poops just as soon as she is let out.

I originally put it down to jealousy or dominance marking because I've had a couple other dogs staying over for extended periods, but she has done it when there are no other dogs around.

Basically she pees in and around her crate and immediately licks up her own urine despite not having incontinence problems, being house trained, and not being locked in the crate at the time. This is baffling me and I have no idea how to proceed to address this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
First move the create to see if it's the crate or the spot. Then move the crate outside

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Simple answer is to close the crate when not in use and see what happens. It sounds like she has been crated too much when she was young and has learned that's an appropriate behavior when she has to go. Mals and similar are notorious for being "dirty" puppies who mess their crate so that might have started things. They just have such a high metabolism when they're little that they need to potty a lot more frequently and people aren't always prepared for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I have tried moving the crate and she has followed the move. I take her out quite often, particularly after an event where she drinks a lot like going to the dog park, but in the end she without fail manages to go all night without peeing.

One thing we considered was putting her in diapers when we're home and she is out of the crate. My mom thought maybe in a previous home she either had a designated pee spot inside or was just left with no access to the outdoors.

To me the hardest part is that choosing to pee in the crate when there's any other option is the exact opposite of everything I've seen as far as crate training.

I love her dearly and she is so drat good in every other way. I just really don't want my house to smell like dog piss.

Dog tax