Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
His is a bizarre request but couldnthis possibly be hosted on a separate website (instead of being related to SA forums and goons) so i can throw the link at people? Ive been trying to throw links together for new puppy wners at work but this would be perfect. Heres a slip of paper with the link, its got almost everything info you need. That kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Even if you encourage him, he needs to be the one that wants to do it. It wont be good if he keeps it, continues to mistreat it and you end up pity caring for it. Right now it doesnt sound fair to the pup at all, but show him all the resources here- training, new puppy rules, etc, nutrition- and ask what he thinks. If hes not willing to put in the time and energy (so far it doesnt sound like he wants to but he might just not know how to care for a dog vs. not caring) then returning it would be the best option. Puppies get adopted quick right?

e: the food might not have sat well with the puppy, generally you want to keep feeding what the previous shelter/owner was feeding and gradually mix in the new food over the course of a week. Otherwise it might cause digestive upsets.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Even with the papers, they wouldn't mean a thing when it comes to being healthy. It'll be just a paper saying, Heres a husky. It sounds like you want a husky, found an easy/cheap/fast way of obtaining one and don't want to wait anymore.
If you really want convenience, check the local shelters- they might not have puppies, but I'm sure you would find a husky that needs a home. Breeders will ship dogs, if the whole driving thing is too inconvenient.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

The dogs I've had neutered early ended up shaped weird as hell. The ones who were neutered post-18 months or so did not end up "weird" even if they were still structured poorly. There is a certain lanky, awkward, underdeveloped look I notice in male dogs who are neutered as puppies. Most pet owners will most likely not notice or give a crap, especially with a mutt puppy, so V0V

And then there's all that bone stuff~

Do you have any phographiv examples?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

How do you go about finding a reputable breeder? Right now I'm trying to look for a chihuahua breeder (just browsing) and realized I have no idea how to weed out the bad sites without going through them all and reading each page. Just curious if there is a good resource out there because at the moment, I am just googling 'chihuahua breeder and looking through directory lists like the AKC and breed club ones.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

^ yep..I havent gone through any sites marketing that.. they all had warnings against that..though some looked like deerheads- would a "reputable" breeder be doing this? Because on the other end of the spectrum, theres some freaky looking domeheads.

The other issue is the stereotypical 90s website that hasnt been updated for 2 years deal

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I already posted over FB but, daaaaaaaaaaaawg

No name yet but every body likes Monster Truck except me >: (
They est. her about 1 year 1 month to 1.5 years old, 26.6 lb. What do you guys think? The things got adult teeth but also tartar already on a lot of them. Not sure if thats a great indicator. She is also in heat and on baytril for some sneezing.

Odd things so far: not really sniffing a place before she peed/pooped. We had a 1.5 hr walk today and she would squat as we are walking as go. But we'll see when she is more settled down and allowed to sniff around.

Soft poop. Not diarrhea but enough to leave a big mark when you pick it up. Theyve been feeding her natural balance fish dry food since they had her for about a month. How do I make firm dog turds?! Really yellow fur on her underside/belly/paws. Hopefully washing/bathing will get rid of that. Also extremely sheddy. Slightly helped after the bath, but theres still a poof of fur flying off when she shakes. I have some brewers yeast supplement.

Unsure about housebroken status, but no accidents yet. Knows sit already! Whats the most basic things you like teaching your dog off that bat? I do sit, down, touch, start on loose lease walking, come. Anything else thats essential?

Growls a buttload at new people. Not on the street, but shes laying in my room and when someone comes in, goes off barking and growling. Not a big deal after a few seconds, but I think Id actually like to keep that behavior to "guard" the house.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 30, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Monster has had no accidents so far, soo.. so far so good? I had to leave her for about 8 hours today, walked her at 7am, and then 3pm. She held it in and went immediately outside, but I've walked her at around 7pm and just now 11~pm. Once she steps outside our gate, she promptly pees and poops. But she was crated while I was gone and ripped up her bedding. I have no spare towels to use :( I know she gets anxious when I leave her and I've not gotten to working on crate games

Its only day 2, but she doesn't seem playful yet.. when I got home at 3 and walked her, I figured she'd be full of energy but she ends up just plopping down by my feet and sleeps. I've not had any real luck engaging with play, but she is really into food dispensers, Ive got a busy buddy and a wobbler which she knows how to work out. But nothing with balls, rope, squeezy plush toys, random toys..yet. Figure she is just settling in. She is still growling at people that are not me whenever they enter the vicinity so its about time to get them to toss treats.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 31, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Its been a week with the new dog! Annnnnnnnnnnd I had her first accident in the house. It was totally my fault. I came home around 1pm, walked her..then went out and did stuff. Came back in the afternoon a few hours later and just..fell asleep, forgot to take her out- didnt really think Id be knocked out that long either. Woke up at 11+pm :X and figured I could feed her before taking her outside because she didn't eat yet. That, plus me having just gotten up- I went to the bathroom and she really just couldnt hold it in anymore. I came out and there was a miniblot of poop (shes been doing dog diarrhea the whole week and its getting very runny) but nothing else, went looking for her. She was in her crate in my room standing in pee and liquipoop :gonk: then tracked it all over the floor when she saw me. Sigh. I know it was completely my fault but Im wondering what the mentality is of starting a poop in the kitchen, then running back to her crate to finish it. Unless she heard a sound and got spooked.

I''m going to go look for canned pumpkin though because her runny poop is getting bad. Total food switch + introduction of wet food + cramming random treats for training + using a lot of chews to keep her busy + whatever stress.

Still working on playing with toys, she likes to fetch things I throw in the house (loses interest semiquickly) but not so much outside. She doesnt seem too distracted??? like she isn't running amok sniffing things but Ill throw a toy and she'll just stare and go 'naw' and stand there. Been clicking and praising for tugging with she barely does. I know when dogs get into it they like grabbing a thing and shaking and tugging but with her, she'll manage a pull before letting go when I tug back. Working on it! Any other forms of play I should try? I have food based toys that she has to nose around. Picked up a kong today and stuffed it with jerky bars that she likes but she isn't really going for it. Bought a tennis ball today too and I accidentally hit her in the eye while playing fetch so she doesn't like the ball anymore :v:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

she is 24lb last time I weighed her...
immodium better or kaopectate?
culterelle: can I just use yogurt? dog yogurt? benebac?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Speaking of pee, I'm getting wildly frustrated with Truck and her accidents. In the beginning, it was my fault..but I'm wondering if its spiraling into 'whelp...I..sorta gotta pee..so Im gunna pee' when I first got her, I was worried about how she'd handle me being at work.. like.. leaving at say 6 or 7am and walking her beforehand... then coming back at 1pm to 4pm ish..and she was OKAY. of course I hurried her out and she'd pee and poop. She got another one in the evening and then night time.

Fast forward a few weeks, to today.. I woke up around 7am because she full on pooped/peed her crate. This was probably my fault as I fell asleep the previous night at around 8:30pm thinking Id get up later but I slept all the way through. She had about 5 walks that day- 6am, 10 or 11am ish, 430 , 8~~. I was really annoyed so I just cleaned it up and went back to sleep. I took her out around 12 or so once I really got up. I should have walked her but, it had looked like she voided everything. Fed her/water in between...I walked her again at about 3..ish? 4pm? Went out, came back and walked her around...7-8. She had..a sorta accident? I go out with her into the yard before leashing her and I went to rinse something really quick out there, when she ran back up the steps to the door and peed on the doormat. All the times before, she'd hang out in the yard and when she had to go, she'd walk to the gate- its a good matybe 20-30+ yards away from the door. Put her in her crate with 2 puzzle toys with a little bit of kibble. Came back around 11pm to a lot of pee. Walked her now, its about midnight.

I keep feedings to generally in the afternoon- I never feed in the morning or night so..say between 1-3pm, one little meal. Gets water then. No food at night except maybe for a chew, and very very little water. And when I say walks, theyre very short ones meant for her to eliminate, generally around 10-20 min. I try tiring her out during playing/training sessions.
I'm gunna try limited her food/water to an even more specific time and try more walks to give her the chance to set up better habits again, but I am at work and I dont want to rely on my family. My mum has been taking her out when I'm at work. Another other advice?

e: a few clarifications... for cleaning the messes in her crate, I use paper towels, antibacterial "swiffer" wipes, and a buttload of natures miracle. She DOES have sep. anxiety, I'm not sure how related it is because she would cry and bark since day 1 but there werent issues before.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 28, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

m.hache posted:

How old is the pup?

shes about a year to a year and a half. I need to start the treat thing..but dang, it was just going so well for 3 weeks and now..she just doesnt want to hold it in anymore? I'm wondering how long digestive processes take.
She went in the crate again today (well, more times in between my last post) and my family is getting even more annoyed at the dog saying I should get rid of her and go buy a nice healthy puppy because she is obviously sick if she is going in the crate (durrrr). i dont ask them to clean it up but they did today.

Sched yesterday
5:30am - take her out. she peespoops, i go to work
10am - 1pm - anytime between, family takes her out. pee poop.
4pm - 4:30 - I get back around then, take her out, pee poop.
5:30 - 6:30 - when I get back from work, she'll get training session for food. gets water. depending on how long food session takes, goes back out to do both
8 - 10 - depending on if i end up napping, dinner or whatever, she gets another and does both. gets very little water.
11-1pm - does both again

So she pretty much peepoops every time we go out, the 6pm one wont be a full one. food only at one period of time, maybe a few treats of kibble pieces through out the day. food only around the afternoonish/eve. I'm trying to feed once a day so everything kinda gets disgested and she doesnt have to poop so many times but!!!! afaik, dogs really only do it 2-3 times a day maybe so is there something abnormal going on?

Today, fam tried taking her out at 1pm and she already went both in the crate. (EDIT: got clarified, was just solid poop no pee) thats 7.5 hours? which is completely holdable for her... folks arent necessarily up yet at 10-11 to take her out again, but Im hoping she is okay with 12pm to go out instead of 1........she does know to go out, and when i do, she immediately runs to her spot (its right outside the house) and eliminates 100% of the time there. then we go walk a little bit and she might do a second smaller poop a few yards down but she is finished by then. If I take her out for a real walk, she doesnt poop anymore but does really small pees randomly- like when dogs mark. If she had food at 5pm and was taken out 3 more times before im at work I feel like she should be pretty dang empty and not going in the crate when Im gone the next day :(

Malalol fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Using merricks but I'm switching over to costco food due to price. Which isnt a bad food, she switches between hard and diarrhea but its been clearing up after starting using http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/perfect-form I was wondering if its like..ibd or something..but she seems healthy otherwise, clear coat (shedding like mad when i first got her, but fine now), and weight is fine.